Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2022, 11:56   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MealReelWheels View Post
I got mine (7D) from the dealer for 10K. This is also available at M2all.com (Mahindra's official portal for accessories and auto parts). I saw a couple on Amazon too but there were either no reviews or bad ones so didn't take chance. If you can wait, go for a generic one and buy when there more/better/cheaper options available. Since I wanted to have them from day 1, I went with the dealer. Cheers!
Need one help please, a few pictures of the installed mats , especially from the drivers 's seat will be very helpful.
Old 19th November 2022, 20:10   #1967
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

To all esteemed members owning Scorpio-N!
The compressor of my Scorpio-N AT 4WD was changed on recommendation of Mahindra Engineer a day after delivery, when my Car went to the service centre for clearing DEF error. Everything was going well, but since last few days I feel the engine is making a bit more noise when AC is switched ‘ON’ though it’s quite silent when AC is ‘OFF’. I am not sure whether it’s my doubt or other Scorpio-Ns have the same difference. Owners of Scorpio-N may please check and confirm.
Thanks in advance ��!
Old 20th November 2022, 11:08   #1968
BHPian

Scorpio N petrol variant

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma here
I've booked the Scorpio N petrol MT base version to be delivered in Feb '23.
I've been watching some reviews and ownership experiences on YT and I keep hearing that most of the sales of the N have been of the diesel variant which leads me to believe that in 4-5 years time when I would be looking to sell mine the resale value is going to take a hit big time because of the choice of petrol MT. The FE figures being reported by petrol N owners is 5-6 on city and 11 on the highway.
My reason to buy the N is purely for pleasure and the childhood dream of having my own 200+ HP MT rear wheel drive proper SUV which the N fits. My running in the N would be very minimal say less than 4k per year so FE is not that big of a concern for me.
I'd have gone for the 185hp diesel had it been sub 15 lakhs on-road but no luck there.

So my query is how many of you have ordered the petrol MT?
Any insights from the gurus on this forum would be most welcome.
What do you guys think about the resale value of the N might be a few years down the line, although Mahindra SUVs hold their value quite well which was also one of the reasons for me to book it. Not that there's any other alternate available for a sub 15 lakhs SUV or any other kind of a vehicle with serious power except the second hand Germans for which I've got no affinity.

TIA
Old 20th November 2022, 14:47   #1969
BHPian

Re: Scorpio N petrol variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp1 View Post
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma here
I've booked the Scorpio N petrol MT base version to be delivered in Feb '23.
I've been watching some reviews ... the resale value is going to take a hit big time because of the choice of petrol MT. The FE figures being reported by petrol N owners is 5-6 on city and 11 on the highway.
My reason to buy the N is purely for pleasure and the childhood dream of having my own 200+ HP MT rear wheel drive proper SUV which the N fits. My running in the N would be very minimal say less than 4k per year so FE is not that big of a concern for me.
I'd have gone for the 185hp diesel had it been sub 15 lakhs on-road but no luck there.

I am also new here. But I don't think you should worry about the petrol engine. It is doing duty in Thar as well as XUV700. With the uncertain/whimsical regulations regarding Diesel engines, I think petrol engine makes sense for your use case.
I also book Petrol manual and my use case is same as yours - one or two long drives a month. Definitely less than 10k KM per year.
Let's see how the current drama of postponement of delivery date to 2024 pans out. I am planning to dig in. I haven't got the dreaded sms from M&M.
Regarding resale value, I am not much worried. I am pretty sure that if we decide to sell after 2-4 years with extended warranty, the SUV would command a premium, more than the introductory price that we paid. M&M knows this and I think that is partly why they are currently starting the drama on VFM models. They know that their marketing stunt of 12L has worked perfectly so they are losing out on profit from these models.
NT_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 15:05   #1970
BHPian

Quote:

I have a petrol MT Z8 booking, same as you have overall low running, max 6k-8k in a year.
Also didn't want to deal with the issues related to BS6 diesel(read scr). Additional i feel 5-8 years from now owning a diesel vehicle in a metro might come with challenges related to pollution related legislations.

So petrol made a good sense compared to Diesel.

Coming to low milage in petrol 5-6kmpl as you quoted, that may be true only if you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.
I have taken in 2 test rides of the petrol manual and the lowest reading I saw in the test vehicles was 5.5kmpl, knowing how test vehicles are run i expect atleast 8-9 kmpl in my personal vehicle in city and around 12-14 on Highway.
If these are your expectations as well then i guess you should not be much worried.
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 17:56   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I've booked the Scorpio N petrol MT..
Hello,
I’ll try to put your queries at bay, as not only I had ordered the petrol MT variant, I have also been driving it for the past 50 days.

1. I can totally understand your concern about the resale of your vehicle in the future, for that I’d like you to remember that half a decade ago no one expected that diesels would face the uncertainty that they’re facing today, so worrying about a future so far away with such a rapidly changing market like India is a gamble, but what is for sure is that petrols are here to stay especially after BS6 Phase II norms that’ll kick in the next fiscal. So don’t worry, your vehicle will command a respectable premium as a lot of people (relatively from Mahindra’s usual user base) have opted for the 2.0 mStallion in the past couple of years with thousands waiting in line for them.

2. Regarding the fuel economy as @Gaur has already mentioned, you mustn’t think so pessimistically, as unless one’s driving the vehicle like a maniac the car will never deliver a fuel figure so low. Worst case scenario will be 8 KMpL and here in Bhopal where we have moderate traffic and good roads, mine delivers me 9-10 KMpL at any given instance. So be well rested about your decision as it is a good one. I’m quote my review and 1800 KM update from the thread for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
4. In purely city driving 9-10 KMpL when driven without the intension of churning out good fuel economy…
Quote:
5. Fuel economy is extremely surprising for a vehicle this size..
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-72e15171b4a947b8bc10214bf98abd81.jpeg
Fuel economy after a recent fill up. Got 10.2 by tank-to-tank method.

And in the end I’ll suggest you that if your run is less than 1000KM/Month don’t get diesel as you’ll be paying more upfront for the vehicle just to save a few hundred rupees per full tank of fuel. And you’ll very quickly lose that saved money on the higher maintenance expense that diesels have by their very virtue.
Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 21:08   #1972
BHPian

The FE for me is totally meaningless I couldn't care less even at 6KMPH.
It's the dreaded resale value, a scenario I'm facing right now trying to sell my scratchless 2 year old XL6 Zeta MT with only 3500kms and getting offers of 7.5-8.5 lakhs only!
The reason I'm thinking about the resale even before buying the car is that companies are trying to bring in more and more exciting products in the market now and if there's ever a case of a really appealing product gets launched here I might not want to miss out on that as you guys can understand.
mpp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 22:20   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
The FE for me is totally meaningless I couldn't care less even at 6KMPH.
It's the dreaded resale value, a scenario I'm facing right now trying to sell my scratchless 2 year old XL6 Zeta MT with only 3500kms and getting offers of 7.5-8.5 lakhs only!
Thank you for sharing the real scenario. It is sad that such a car as yours is not getting the expected offer. But I think XL6 is for a different set of buyers who are more price conscious (no offense, I drive a 2020 Alto presently).
With the upcoming new emission regulations, inflation and popularity of SUVs, I still think that Scorpio-N would have a stellar resale value. Perhaps I may also be biased due to my present location which is a place where Mahindra truly rules.
Incidentally I routinely see 2020 Alto with higher number on the odometer than mine on Facebook and OLX with 3-4L price tags. It always makes me chuckle
NT_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 22:23   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Trying to sell my scratchless 2 year old XL6 Zeta MT with only 3500kms and getting offers of 7.5-8.5 lakhs only!
What a coincidence! I sold my 2020 Auburn Red XL6 Zeta MT which was in pristine condition as well while purchasing my ScorpioN and I too was very disappointed by the resale I was getting for my XL6. Ended up parting ways from it for ~8 Lakhs.
This incident has taught me that no matter which brand you go for regardless of its “great resale” tags or not at the end of the day it is about how happy that vehicle makes you, because if you’re going for a new product there are some unknowns and guessing its future resale is one of them.
Shrey1230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:14   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
What a coincidence! I sold my 2020 Auburn Red XL6 Zeta MT which was in pristine condition as well while purchasing my ScorpioN and I too was very disappointed by the resale I was getting for my XL6. Ended up parting ways from it for ~8 Lakhs.
Well looks like we think alike, I bought the XL6 purely to take my elderly mother to our native and short trips around Gujarat, everyone who sits in the car loves it, especially some elderly people who come on these trips with us absolutely enjoy the 3rd row comfort which to me is mystifying as I always thought it looked so cramped...and then I sat in the 3rd row of the N and realized the XL6 has been designed by a genius The lack of AC blowers and any kind of ventilation in the 3rd row is criminal on the part of M&M TBH.

As for the price you sold it at is astonishing to say the least, mine has only 3,500 yes you read that right, Kms and still I get offers of 7.5 to 8.5 which really angers me cause for such a nicely appointed car that price is way too low and people always told me buy a Maruti you'd sell your car in 2 days and now I realized the 2 Marutis I've bought S-cross and XL6 are perhaps their slowest selling vehicles.
mpp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:40   #1976
BHPian

Went for my first service at Koncept Mahindra mathura road in morning. After checking few screws which were already tight, car was sent for washing. I was amazed to see that Mahindra service centers are not equipped to wash/clean the roof of #BigDaddyOfSUVs. Cleaners involved in putting soap on top or later cleaning the roof were stepping on vehicle seats to reach the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-92bd962c8ef34e9a988b9baaf0d6069a.jpeg  

arvindtayal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 18:44   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
Cleaners involved in putting soap…were stepping on vehicle seats to reach the roof.
This is so not done! Kindly share a stern feedback regarding this with the GM Service and if no avail is noticed, share a tweet with Mahindra’s WithYouHamesha handle. Climbing up on seats with boots can end up damaging the leatherette and can also tear it. I’m quite sure the workshop will be the first to rub off their hands from accountability if that happens and will blame the owner.
Shrey1230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:54   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by er_sb_blogs View Post
  1. Playing blind game

Anyone in a queue who is ready to buy Z8L, is welcomed ahead of others who might be in first 25K booking. To be honest, this is not the most genuine way to implement a queue.
  2. Quality issues

Why should users who pay 100% of the MRP of a product should accept below par product even though it offers a huge VFM?
  3. Difference between Marketing and Practical experience

I think that there is a huge difference between marketing and practical experience, being in the Mahindra ecosystem for these 3 months.
Conclusion: I have not planned to cancel my Scorpio-N booking yet, but I have definitely started considering nearby options where I can achieve a better buy for such costly products.
I missed your post. I have been waiting for my Z8 AT 4x4 and 100% concur with your observations.

Furthermore, I think all the non Z8L folks are paying through their anxiety and uncertainty. And this uncertainty seems to extend after purchase also.

So is it really 'VFM" ?

All my initial enthusiasm is gone, and I am pretty close to cancelling my booking. For some reason, even the existing owners who are reporting niggles look like benevolent souls who are okay with what is on offer by M&M.
krinpit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:25   #1979
BHPian

I bought the car from Punjab Mahindra, Ahmedabad, and my experience was good. I wouldn't rate it excellent, and not rate it bad. Whatever I requested was made available. I was not forced to buy insurance from them, and wasn't forced to buy accessories either. I took delivery of the car on the 30th of September and then went home for Diwali.

Well that's good. It's great actually.
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:30   #1980

Quote:
Any insights from the gurus on this forum would be most welcome.
What do you guys think about the resale value of the N might be a few years down the line, although Mahindra SUVs hold their value quite well which was also one of the reasons for me to book it. Not that there's any other alternate available for a sub 15 lakhs SUV or any other kind of a vehicle with serious power except the second hand Germans for which I've got no affinity.

TIA
Dear mpp1, I also have a Z8L Manual Petrol 7 str which I got delivered on 16th October (on my son's birthday - a tradition that my dad started when he bought his first car - Hyundai Santro on my birthday two decades ago).
If FE is not your worry, same as me, Petrol is an amazing choice with its much smoother, no-noise, responsive engine. I have always driven Petrol due to low usage and when I tested various Ns, (Diesel MT, AT, 4x4, Petrol AT, MT), I felt the amazing responsiveness and almost no engine noise in the cabin with the Petrol. Manual was also a conscious choice to use my budget to upgrade to Z8L for faster delivery instead of going for Z8 AT and wait for too long.

While many may mock it, but I see a potential ban on diesel vehicles a very serious risk. With increasing # of vehicles on roads, the condition is only going to get worse and sooner than later, the governments with either ban or introduce stricter norms for cleaner diesel which will ironically reduce their FE.

Regarding resale value, I think if you got it in the introductory price (as I did), you shouldn't worry too much about it.

On FE: I am yet to do a tank to tank but the best I have seen on the odo is 11.3 in Highway + city) which was before the first service. I am planning for a Kerala trip in December and will definitely share my experience on this beast and the FE based on tank-to-tank method.

Hope this helps.
MealReelWheels is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed