Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2023, 08:12   #2251
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Saw this roof rack on a ScorpioN today - very well made with sunroof clearly out of the way.

Is this from Mahindra?
This design has been available for quite some time now. I have seen these on the old XUV500s (with cut out for sunroof) and Ertiga.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 11:07   #2252
BHPian

Anybody still facing mechanical problems or other niggles?
I have to give Mahindra full mark for the N. I was very apprehensive about jumping into the bandwagon because half of the folks here keep saying that the first 1-2 years of any Mahindra is beta-testing period.
Now looks like it is a solid product. With me, `Check engine system' came once about 5 days after delivery, nothing happened after restarting the engine. Recently ran ODB scan during first servicing, no code was detected.
Old 10th February 2023, 13:05   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Saw this roof rack on a ScorpioN today - very well made with sunroof clearly out of the way.

Is this from Mahindra?
Yes this is the integrated roof carrier from Mahindra.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_2023021013005777_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg  

JohaanTJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 19:10   #2254
BHPian

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyagaje View Post

Is this a build quality issue or just a "freak incident"..

Hey, did mahindra fix this for you as manufacturing issue or you had to go with Insurance? Btw, how fast were you driving when this happened?
Old 11th February 2023, 16:43   #2255
BHPian

SCORPIO-N DRIVE ACROSS RAJASTHAN AND DUNES OFF ROADING

The Scorpio N has been a great companion since day 1, all the recalls and all the initials niggles were handled professionally by Mahindra.

I was amongst a few lucky owners who was invited by Mahindra to be a part of the Off road academy event in Jaisalmer. This was a 2 day event sponsored by Mahindra which aimed towards teaching and giving experience of off roading to people who may not have access to vehicles or courses.

I decided to drive down to Jaisalmer in my N. This was my longest drive at a stretch of about 850 kms, and boy did the car performed great.

Starting with the roads, except a few sections and railway crossings the drive was on perfectly paved and well marked roads. I took the Bikaner route and returned via Jodhpur. I took the car to some unmentionable speeds and tested the engine to its limits when the roads were empty. The engine was feeling comfortable till 3500 rpm post that it was more noisy than I was comfortable with. The steering suspension and comfort however was still in a zone that made me feel confident. This car is a definite cruiser and you can crunch mile after mile without any sort of fatigue. I reached Jaisalmer in the afternoon and was fresh enough to enjoy the night.

Post Bikaner though a lot of speed interceptors pop up during the day so I made sure i was doing the speed limit of 80 kmph from Bikaner to Jaisalmer. This manner of driving for 300+ km gave me an average of over 18 kmpl on the MID, the tankful to tankful mileage came out to 17.75 kmpl.
This was much beyond my expectations. On my way back from Jodhpur with driving at around 90 I got a tankful to tankful average of 16.6, keeping the heavily crowded Jaipur Delhi stretch this is fantastic.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4756-copy.jpg

Now coming to the off road experience. The cars provided by Mahindra were Thar CRDe, New gen Thar, Scorpio S11 and the Scorpio N. the team ensured that every driver has driving experience of every car on at least of the course.
Although nothing compared to what our fellow bhpians do, for me this was the best desert experience. The old gen thar stole my heart off the road and I realised why people still love the CRDe. The bs4 scorpios were also a big surprise and are truly capable vehicles, keep in mind all of the vehicles were in stock form except snorkels installed on some.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4723-copy.jpg

Now to the performance of the N. After sitting back to back in old gen Mahindras you immediately appreciate the comfort and the refinement and this shows how far Mahindra has come. The electric steering really helps in manoeuvring through sand, although this in return makes the driver not feel the road. The car does have departure angle issues but still is capable if driven sanely. You have to be careful when approaching a hill.

The performance of the electronically engaging 4wd system and the traction control system as soon as you engage sand mode makes you feel like a better off roader than you actually are, reason being the electronics control many things all you have to do is steer and accelerate the car in a reasonable manner.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4803.jpg

The ratio of the Low range is different from the Scorpio classic and the thar but still really good specially when some cars were stuck in deep sand.

We had two off roading session, the first was a Moonlight session on day 1. Then day was just off roading from morning till sunset. This experience really showed me I was underestimating the car in stock form and it indeed is a proper 4X4, maybe not as capable like the Thar, and it wont disappoint me at least for what kind of drives I plan for the car.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4714-2-copy.jpg

Overall this trip showed me how the N is a mile muncher and if driven sanely can give great fuel economy, talking about my vehicle 4X4 Diesel manual, all of this combined with more than mild off road capabilities. I have completed 9000 km on the car and will share further experiences of service and drives as well.
kushgandhi is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 09:29   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
Any reason why someone should buy Wolfbox over RedTiger? As far as I know both are manufactured by the same company and have identical specs and features. Plus RedTiger is cheaper. All inclusive was 18.5k.
Sorry, I was logged out of the forum due to some password word issue. Now Im back

My initial option was Red Tiger because my brother-in-law had installed it and I loved it. I was going on a road trip and wanted it installed before the trip, which was not happening with Red Tiger. Then I came across Wolfbox and I got connected directly to the India distributor.

I'm glad that I got the wolf box because according to the distributor, this is better than the red tiger. More than anything else, the support you would get from this guy Sarthak is awesome. My brother-in-law bought Red Tiger through some channels but he had an issue with the settings and he was stuck with the limited knowledge that the installer had.

Whenever I got stuck with something, all I had to do was reach out to Sarthak who was in direct communication with the tech team of WolfBox, and every single issue (there was no issue, I just didn't know how to configure something) was sorted out. He believes in giving a great experience to his customers and that is the reason I confidently recommend him to everyone.

When you are spending so much money, its is always better to have the best support as well right?

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-001.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-002.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-003.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-004.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-005.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-006.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 13th February 2023 at 14:00. Reason: We do not encourage car / brand specific meets / groups. Thanks for understanding.
chipsnchops is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 10:15   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post
Sharing some pictures of the same.

Attachment 2417937
Good to see Scorpios heading for a group drive , except that last picture of them haphazardly parked occupying almost half of that road . Is that ok to do that on that road?
balenoed_ is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 11:08   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Good to see Scorpios heading for a group drive , except that last picture of them haphazardly parked occupying almost half of that road . Is that ok to do that on that road?
Thank you.. That's a very wide road. Just after the toll. Someone was waiting there to meet us. So just got out to meet him and clicked a picture. Took us max 5 mins.
chipsnchops is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 13:58   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post

Sharing some pictures of the same.
Any petrol Scorpios in the group ?

What is the fuel efficiency they are getting ?

Last edited by Sheel : 13th February 2023 at 14:01. Reason: Quoted part is edited. Thanks.
Old 13th February 2023, 14:27   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
What is the fuel efficiency they are getting ?
10 kmpl + or - 2.

Just read the Hycross VX delivery report, it makes me rethink about the decision for buying this petrol engine
Well! on a serious note, I am very happy with the vehicle - it is absolutely fantastic.
NT_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 01:11   #2261
BHPian

DIY Scorpio N snow chains!

I am someone who loves travelling and on my trips, I prefer to carry as much as I can. I am planning a trip to the mountains hence, I needed snow chains. I also didn’t want to burn a hole my pocket plus I was having the right resources so this DIY.

Started with some calculations,
Circumstance of the tyre, link length, total number of etc.
Total length of the chain per tyre came around 350 inches a link at every 6 inches.

We own a utensils store and we do sell steel chains(purposely made for cows and buffaloes) so I took heavy quality chains (or bail as we call in Hindi). Snow chains start around 4.5K however, the chain I have used are really heavy duty. A chain in the market with the same quality would be around 8-10K. One chain weighs around 7 KG

I made the calculations and the chains on the stepney as I was not sure how long the process will take + stepney on Scorpio N is same as the regular tyres.

There is little space in the tyre wells, I was not confident if the chains will fit or touch the inner lining. I did saw two Scorpio n on internet with Snow chains at the rear tyres. And the only way to confirm was to try it.

Started by making the circular ring for one side of the tyre and then the other side. Then used plastic rope to create link to get some idea! It looked good,
Created 13 inches links and welded after every 6 inches, tested on stepney - a perfect fit. No rope needed as it was not loose at all. Replicated it and now we have two chains - it took 7 hours to build both of them.

Putting the chain in real world:
Followed the easiest way by reversing the vehicle on the chains, didnt go well as our chains were a perfect fit.

We jacked up the car, and with a bit of chain adjustment we got it fit on the tyre, perfectly. Again no ropes.
But on the other tyre, we have to add an extra link to fit the snow chain. No rope used either.

Tested on concrete road 35psi, even drove till 30KMPH, the ride was bouncy (expect) but the chain didn’t break or loose. We did jacked up the vehicle again and removed the chains. Chain looks good with the scratch marks.
I have taken two extra links, just in case if needed. I don’t think I have to jack up the vehicle as tyre pressure would be around 20-25psi, reducing the diameter, giving us a few millimetres, but in worst case, I am prepared to jack up and in worst case: jack + the extra links.

The wheel well gap:
I believe the most interesting part for most of the readers is this.
So, the right side had no issue at all. Enough space, no signs of any contact with the lining, no articulation. Not sure if the car will articulate in real world test and how the chains will act.

Left side was little challenging. I had installed mud flaps as an accessory at the time of delivery and never compared the right and the left however, as we have the def tank on the left side, it is missing a rivet. I found no hole means, a rivet was never there and the mudflap was loosened from the inner side.
So we did a hole in the lining and screwed the mud flap and it didn’t pull apart in the testing.

Hoping to get a chance to out the chains on in my coming trip to the snowy mountains.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-3b896f55a9d74a2a8bb69a1ca25667f0.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-939fd7cf802543acae38ab834d04d77b.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-032db0681d474214bdf248a836e1de9a.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-7756ba79830b4e8eb8356485bab1a85f.jpeg  

Last edited by unpopulrxplorer : 15th February 2023 at 01:22.
unpopulrxplorer is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 02:08   #2262
BHPian

I know that in older Scorpio, one could install Eaton Rear Locker. We do have threads related to the same on our Forum. With a Z4 4WD, is that remotely even a possibility ? I searched it online but could not find any details on it. Because just like Thar, ScorpioN also uses a Mechanical locking diff.
Old 15th February 2023, 10:32   #2263
BHPian

This is the reason why I always recommend PPF over ceramic.

I was in traffic and one car scratched mine from the side. From the looks of it, I felt it would require repainting and a change of ppf. However, when the ppf was removed, I realized that nothing had happened to the paint and was able to restore it to its original condition. There is a small dent, but I didn't try to correct it since it might require repainting.

Any painting done outside can never match up to factory paint work. Here are the results. There is a video also of the work.

Hope this is helpful!

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-001.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-002.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 16th February 2023 at 07:30. Reason: Image deleted
chipsnchops is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:57   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Any painting done outside can never match up to factory paint work.
There are plenty of garages that can match the quality.

Anyways, what's the expense for getting the ppf reinstalled on the door?
shikh_oberoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 15:41   #2265
BHPian

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyagaje View Post

Is this a build quality issue or just a "freak incident"..

Hello All, this happened on 8th December 2022. I was with my family returning home from a one day trip to alibaug. Just a few meters away form my place a guy on his scooter over took me form the left and came a little too close due to which i had to steer to the right. Immediately there was a thud and the car fell on its face to the right side. I knew this wasn't good and i could hear the under body scraping the road.

The survey by the insurance company has been done and I am now awaiting their approval, my only hope is that everything gets covered.

I want to raise this with Mahindra as well, can someone help me with an email if where this concern can be raised?

Sorry to hear that you had to face unreliability issues with a new SUV.
Any update regarding your accidental repairs.

What was the primary reason given by ASC representatives, as to why the tyre got dislodged?

What was the cost incurred after insurance repairs?
PistonCrown is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks