Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 07:32   #2566
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
Total Cost Rs. 14000/- including fitting.
I think this is probably the best after market investment you can make for your Scorpio N 4WD.

Can you share some technical specs such as thickness, material used MS/Aluminium? And overall weight of the plates? Ideally they should have made cut out in places to reduce the overall weight. We need the protection but without too much added weight.

Was it bolt on, or did you require and drilling on the chasis?

Last edited by 4x4addict : 15th May 2023 at 07:33.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 09:56   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Prad4x4 is also developing an underbody kit as I've been told. They recently got a ScorpioN delivered to them by Mahindra for the underbody kit. Awaiting their product. I'm extremely pleased by their aluminiun underbody kit for the Thar. Perfect bolt on kit. They're under official contract with mahindra to develop such products.

Expecting a high quality item.

The above Bimbra underbody kit has to be in MS. The price is such.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 10:30   #2568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Anyone using BF Goodrich tires on the ScorpioN? How much does the ride firm up after BFG?

The size which would be easily put on would be the fortuner size 265/60R18.

Or maxxis RAZR if anyone has been able to source those in 18 inch size.
I think, few people complained of some rubbing (light), one side when turned lock to lock in 265/65 R18 size. Few people I saw, had downgraded to 17 inch in 265 section in 4X4 trim.

If, one is not into heavy off-road, the G015's are good balance for an AT tire & easily available.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 10:58   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think this is probably the best after market investment you can make for your Scorpio N 4WD.

Can you share some technical specs such as thickness, material used MS/Aluminium? And overall weight of the plates? Ideally they should have made cut out in places to reduce the overall weight. We need the protection but without too much added weight.

Was it bolt on, or did you require and drilling on the chasis?
It is made of 3 mm thick MS, total weight of the 3 panels comprising the Kit, is approximately 20 Kgs.
It was bolt on and didn't require any drilling or any kind of "jugaad" to fit.
Rahkehs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 13:08   #2570
BHPian

Hi,

Any recommendations for good floor mats? I heard the ones available with company are not good.

Also, I read sometime back about a cord extension for 12V charging point. Please share the link if someone has it. Thanks.
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 15:30   #2571
BHPian

Finally got the boot tool kit assembly and cover installed in my N. the tool kit fits in perfectly as there is no change in the chassis of the 2023 model. But the only thing is no screws can be attached to the tray but it is covered it wont be moving at all. It costed me 5500/- approximately but given that now my trolley bags fit in much better it’s totally worth it.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5321.jpeg

Another thing people might remember is that a few people from the first lot of scorpio n got a ₹10,000/- service or accessories voucher from their respective dealerships. I decided to use that and so for the mahindra official underbody protection kit. Given that it’s for 10,950/- it would cost me only 950/- for the protection and I think that’s totally worth it.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5323.jpeg

The protection covers the radiator very well and has rubber inserts as well to minimise metal noise incase of vibrations. It is bolted on the front of the chassis with two columns and the rest of the parts are mounted on frame. It has cutouts to drain oil and small holes for draining water. It is very solid and feels tough.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-0f215c231d5d4aec9a033d62a933382e.jpeg

Although expert Bhpians like anshuman and others have said they won’t trust it fully. I am not a hardcore off roader. But will be taking it on treacherous roads like zanskar and sach pass. For those kind of touring expeditions i think it’s a perfect fit and i feel its better to use the 10k voucher for this accessory rather an some chrome.

The underbody protection is bolted on all existing points, I would expect nothing else that mahindra odd the one designing it. The website says it’s 2.5 mm thick which again given my driving requirements is more than enough. It is coated properly so won’t worry much about rusting.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5329.jpeg
kushgandhi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 19:13   #2572
BHPian

Early Impressions and some Idiosyncracies

It's been a week since I brought home my Z8 AT 4XPLOR, listing down some initial impressions of driving it through both crawling city traffic and hitting triple digits on the highway.

1.) Do not expect any kind of frugality from the 4XPLOR AT models. I have been seeing a lot of people posting ridiculouse AFE figures while cruising at sensible speeds and trying to extract good mileage. Unfortunately, that is just not possible even if you tried with the gearbox tune provided by Mahindra. Since the AT 4WDs are apparently in perpetual Zoom mode, the transmission refused to upshift before it hits 2200RPM, which translates to driving around in the city at speeds of 40 kmph while the engine drones away in 3rd gear at 2000 RPM in 4th gear, or similarly while trying to cruise at 65-70 kmph the AT box will just not shift up regardless of the kind of pedal input you provide. You have to essentially punch it up to 75kmph/2200RPM for the upshift to happen at which point the car is happy to let the revs drop while sticking to 5th gear. But let your speeds drop a little too much and at around 1400-1500RPM it'll immediately kick down a gear. The icing on the cake is that you can not force early upshifts even when pushing the lever to Manual mode. Although, it will not downshift too early and let the revs drop closer to 1200RPM before downshifting automatically in manual mode.

I would have expected the gearbox to be a little more nuanced and have the ability to gauge gear shifts according to the type of pedal input being provided, but the default and only setting seems to be a little too aggressive and while it may be ideal for off-road usage during tricky obstacles, for the rest of your drives you'll be looking at close to 20-25% higher fuel consumption relative to a Manual. In the few trips I have taken, city traffic driving shows figures of about 7-8 kmpl and a couple of mixed/highway drives turned up economy figures of around 12 kmpl. These are MID figures so I'm expecting Tank to Tank to be lower.

2.) Looking past the AT tuning, the overall drive experience is quite good, even European in some ways. Mahindra have a done a wonderful job with the sound damping, letting very little of the chaos outside filter through to the cabin. Even the overall suspension tuning, door thuds, feel very sophisticated. Each time you drive over bumps, expansion joints on bridges, it just feels like a mature well engineered product. Of course the ride and handling are not sedan like, and there's a definite sponginess to it's dynamics, but that's just a result of physics and being a Body on Frame SUV. Do not expect it to compare to the likes of the Creta, Harrier or XUV700 in terms of ride quality and handling over decent roads, but it definitely has them beat when taking on some ruff stuff. Stays composed, and easily filters out a lot of the harshness felt while drive over some of the new-fangled road humps/speed breakers.

3.) The sound system is another place where I was pleasantly surprised. Being a Z8, I had decided not to spend extra on the 12 speaker Sony system, but even this 4 speakers + 2 tweeter unit seems to be quite well rounded, with a suprising amount of bass/thump being produced even at lower volumes. The bass aspect was definitely something I wasn't expecting, and one of the potential upgrades I had planned was to try and get a low-profile woofer setup in the stock location. But, for now, I think the stock setup will suffice. It's definitely not the most crystal clear and well defined sount output, but it is able to cover most of the frequencies from lows to highs and provides a decent sound stage. Disclaimer: I am not audiphile, so I was never going to look for some kind of high end audio performance.

4.) The 4XPLOR AT thankfully comes with a full sized spare of the same kind ( MRF Wanderer A/S in my case) mounted to a 18"x7J steel wheel (oddly 0.5 inch narrower wheel than the alloys), and is marked with a bold 80 sticker implying it's supposed to be used at restricted speeds. One oddity of the setup is that while lowering/raising the spare wheel with the new boot setup you need to fully lift the tool bin/storage box lid as it'll hamper with the turning of the spanner. And even after doing that, the spanner will rub agains the plastic loading lip of the trunk. So close Mahindra!! You just had to make the spanner another couple of milimetres longer at the neck and this would not have been an issue. Hopefully changing flat tires will be a rare occurence and owner's won't be left with a half moon engraved in their plastic boot lips.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-spanner.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-spannercloseup.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-sparewheel.jpg
ask99 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 20:02   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
Just mud flaps and screen protector from Mahindra and I bought 7D mats from external vendor.
Congratulations on your new ride. Glad you’re having a great time with it. My delivery is around the corner and I too opted for the screen protector. However when I saw it today, I was disappointed.

The mahindra original screen protector seems to have made the screen so hazy. The crispness of the display is completely gone. Is it the same with you? I would appreciate your inputs.
Old 15th May 2023, 20:18   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Hi,

Any recommendations for good floor mats? I heard the ones available with company are not good.
You can try Pharaoh Hex-Lock mats available on 3dmatsindia. I am using their 3D mats in my Ignis and these mats are really good.
Rahkehs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 21:42   #2575
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Early Impressions and some Idiosyncracies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post

1.) Do not expect any kind of frugality from the 4XPLOR AT models. I have been seeing a lot of people posting ridiculouse AFE figures while cruising at sensible speeds and trying to extract good mileage. Unfortunately, that is just not possible even if you tried with the gearbox tune provided by Mahindra. Since the AT 4WDs are apparently in perpetual Zoom mode, the transmission refused to upshift before it hits 2200RPM, which translates to driving around in the city at speeds of 40 kmph while the engine drones away in 3rd gear at 2000 RPM in 4th gear, or similarly while trying to cruise at 65-70 kmph the AT box will just not shift up regardless of the kind of pedal input you provide. You have to essentially punch it up to 75kmph/2200RPM for the upshift to happen at which point the car is happy to let the revs drop while sticking to 5th gear. But let your speeds drop a little too much and at around 1400-1500RPM it'll immediately kick down a gear. The icing on the cake is that you can not force early upshifts even when pushing the lever to Manual mode. Although, it will not downshift too early and let the revs drop closer to 1200RPM before downshifting automatically in manual mode.
In an AT like this Aisin unit, you treat the A pedal as a way of telling the vehicle how you want to proceed , calm or brisk or outright hooligan and the vehicle will oblige. Do not try to force the gearbox or teach the gearbox which gear you want to be in or what RPM you want to be in, that is not why you paid good money for and other than for when the engine and gearbox is cold, you won't hear much of it anyways, it all just fades into the background.

So treat the A pedal smoothly, just feather it in traffic and maintain a constant position, it will pick up speed on its own. When you want more speed increase and A pedal position and keep it constant, let the car do the rest.

In time it will learn your driving and respond super quick to quick overtakes while being unbelievably smooth in shifting during normal driving , when someone else starts to drive it will take some time to adjust to them.
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 19:29   #2576
GKU
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. Glad you’re having a great time with it. My delivery is around the corner and I too opted for the screen protector. However when I saw it today, I was disappointed.

The mahindra original screen protector seems to have made the screen so hazy. The crispness of the display is completely gone. Is it the same with you? I would appreciate your inputs.
Thanks RevvMusic ! and Congratulations to you too.

I don't see any issue with screen protector visibility , though there is an issue with application (single dust particle struck inside). see the attached images. (My phone camera is not that good)
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230516_191611008.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230516_191702110_hdr.jpg

I have completed 4000KM in 1.5 months, waiting for 5K KM to write detailed review and experience.

I am super happy with the vehicle in every aspect.
Old 17th May 2023, 16:28   #2577
BHPian

Team,
Does anyone have any idea about the fuse type used in the cabin fuse box for ignition/accessories etc?

Is it this type?
https://www.amazon.in/Durvient-Micro...9NK5DHKR&psc=1

Any alternatives?
Old 17th May 2023, 19:45   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Team,
Does anyone have any idea about the fuse type used in the cabin fuse box for ignition/accessories etc?

Is it this type?
https://www.amazon.in/Durvient-Micro...9NK5DHKR&psc=1

Any alternatives?
That is the correct type of fuse for the Scorpio-N. Adding a couple pictures of a fuse I pulled out for your reference.

On a tangent saw this connector hanging loose near the fuse box, I'm assuming it connects to the switch bank with the front parking sensor switch on the Z8 L (all dummy switches on the Z8). Might suggest that Mahindra has used the same wiring harness and maybe we could potentially have plug n Play functionality for Front Parking Sensors, Wireless Charging in the Z8. I wonder...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230517_175510_gallery.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230517_175519_gallery.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230517_175549_gallery.png  

ask99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 21:38   #2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearmusiclover View Post
Please help me decide between AT and MT for Scorpio N diesel.
This is especially directed at Bangalore folks who struggle through traffic for city commute.

Q1) How much of a difference has an AT made to your city commutes?

Q2) Would it become too boring to drive an AT once you hit highways?

Q3) Did you ever get the feeling that you are missing an MT and that opportunity is gone forever (assuming I can afford only 1 car)?
The most important reason I chose Z8 D AT against Z6 was the number of airbags and lux feel with a soft touch and external chrome elements. Hope this helps.
mantaray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 23:26   #2580
BHPian

4x4 owners: are you facing issues engaging/ disengaging 4H/4L or moving 4H to 4L or vice versa?
One of the sales advisor mentioned that to me and suggested I go for RWD AT if I don’t intend to use 4x4 very often.
Today I went for PDI of my 4x4 and faced this challenge. Then SA suggested to turn off and on the car and try again. It worked but then it brings the question- will it work when we need it?
yadavsid21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks