Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2022, 00:26   #346
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samraat View Post
I booked XUV700 (AWD) 3 months ago, and the entire family liked it because of its looks and features. At the same time, since its waiting period was two years, we were also looking for different options, and Hyundai Tucson came.

The first time I saw it in the flesh, it was massive, and I was very impressed. When I stepped into the car, I could feel the premiumness of Tucson when compared to XUV700. After the test drive, I liked Tucson more than the XUV700, mainly because of the silent cabin, spacious seats ( both front and 2nd row), headroom (too low in XUV700), and power delivered in Sport mode. So we also booked Tucson (AWD) after a couple of test drives.
I am in a similar conundrum. I had booked the XUV700 AX7L AWD in Nov 2021 and in the meanwhile was waiting for the new gen Tucson with abated breath. After the launch of the Tucson, I booked the AWD Signature variant. After the price reveal, I am bit skeptical.
My XUV might be delivered by year end.
Just by simple comparison of the price, XUV700 seems more value for money. I am yet to test drive the Tucson though. Seems like I might go for the XUV as it offers a better VFM.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 08:36. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 11th September 2022, 06:11   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaboudjan View Post
I am in a similar conundrum. I had booked the XUV700 AX7L AWD in Nov 2021 and in the meanwhile was waiting for the new gen Tucson with abated breath. After the launch of the Tucson, I booked the AWD Signature variant. After the price reveal, I am bit skeptical.
My XUV might be delivered by year end.
Just by simple comparison of the price, XUV700 seems more value for money. I am yet to test drive the Tucson though. Seems like I might go for the XUV as it offers a better VFM.
From a price point, the On Road Cost of the Tucson 2022 AWD variant is approximately 33% higher than the XUV700 AWD variant. I agree that this is not a small difference, and at the same time, the comfort level inside the car is entirely different.

Initially, my family was so inclined towards XUV700, and they were not even ready to look at a different car. Because of that, I didn't pre-book Tucson when it was announced. Somehow, I convinced my better half for a test drive, which changed everything. It took almost 2 hours to complete our test drive, and the SA from FPL Hyundai was very cooperative. Ultimately, we were sold and decided to go for it, although the budget was a bit of a stretch.

Have a test drive, and it might change your mind
samraat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 11:32   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailendrakr View Post
I have confirmed information from one of the biggest showrooms in Hyderabad that 2 deliveries happened as of last week from their showroom. It could be a bigger number considering other showrooms as well in Hyderabad.
I stand corrected. It is petrol deliveries in Hyderabad as well. None yet for Diesel.
shailendrakr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 21:51   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samraat View Post
I booked XUV700 (AWD) 3 months ago, and the entire family liked it because of its looks and features. At the same time, since its waiting period was two years, we were also looking for different options, and Hyundai Tucson came.

The first time I saw it in the flesh, it was massive, and I was very impressed. When I stepped into the car, I could feel the premiumness of Tucson when compared to XUV700. After the test drive, I liked Tucson more than the XUV700, mainly because of the silent cabin, spacious seats ( both front and 2nd row), headroom (too low in XUV700), and power delivered in Sport mode. So we also booked Tucson (AWD) after a couple of test drives.
Am in the same boat as you. I had booked the XUV700 in October of 2021 and had also pre booked the Tucson AWD the day the bookings had opened. Since then the XUV delivery dates have advanced and both cars would get delivered tentatively around the same time. So time is not a consideration for me.

I was really looking forward to the Tucson launch and was convinced I will be going for the Hyundai this time ( I am an existing XUV AWD user). Then the prices were announced and I went hmmm. Since then I have been a confused soul . I get the refinement bit but not able to justify the 10 Lakhs difference in my mind. Have gone back and forth and still holding both the bookings.

Latest frame of mind is that I will go for the XUV700 but it isn't over until the fat lady sings . Will update once I finally decide.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 07:02. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Mick_wanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:00   #350
BHPian

Hello All,

Check out the comparison between Hyundai Tucson vs BMW X1 and Audi Q3!

https://www.cartoq.com/hyundai-tucso...1-audi-q3/amp/

Thanks.
Mathan1130 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:58   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathan1130 View Post
Hello All,

Check out the comparison between Hyundai Tucson vs BMW X1 and Audi Q3!

https://www.cartoq.com/hyundai-tucso...1-audi-q3/amp/

Thanks.
Irony is this comparison missed the most important aspects of a car - the drive, engine performance, ride, handling etc. This is more like how they compare the mobile phones. Honestly it looks like a paid article.
Hope to see some real comparisons soon.

Last edited by sunikkat : 12th September 2022 at 11:00.
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:36   #352

Hi All,

I test drove the Tuscon yesterday and here are my observations:

The sheer ease of drive in this vehicle is something that I could find, IMHO, in my test-drives of X1 and Camry only, under 60L OTR mark, except 3 Series, which I haven't test-driven yet.
Since the comparisons I listed are international/CKD models, I have refrained from looking at Audi/Merc due to ownership hassle, as per western car journo.
As pointed earlier in this forum, X1 is by no means comparable to Tucson in terms of features. Living in a community which has plenty of 3/5 series and C-class cars, I don't personally see the point of flaunting a FWD X1, so no intention whatsoever to pay for the badge.

For my requirements of:
  1. High Reliability and hassle-free ownership. I'm a Toyota customer.
  2. Strong Build Quality with Good Passive + Active Safety Tech
  3. More than 180MM GC, courtesy of Bangalore roads
  4. More than 500L Bootspace, as demanded by the missus
  5. Low fatigue in long drives for driver + front/rear passengers for larger than 500km trips

I simply don't see any other options than Tucson TBH, which meets all my requirements.

Stopping of diesel Crysta bookings in mere 3 days after my TD and bumpy ride of Fortuner offending the missus didn't help either.

Somehow VAG, at least in Bangalore, is not interested in selling anything other than MQB-A0-IN stuff. I asked for Octavia Style TD, they said octavia TD vehichles are not available, and instead offered me Superb TD saying 'Same Engine, Sir'. Also, I was not even offered a chair to sit, forget an AC or even fan-cooled environment for the matter. The sales exec was calmly wiping the sweat off his forehead while talking to me. Same thing with Tiguan TD.

Addressing the big elephants in the room:
  1. Price: I don't feel the car is overpriced, party due to it being a CKD and its ability to compete with X1 in terms of drivetrain and features. I acknowledge the lack of launch control in Tucson, but in the same breath one can honestly admit X1 being a FWD.
  2. Perceived Soft Ride: My mom is missing almost one and a half spine due to being severely osteoporotic. Excessively stiff rides are a strict no-no especially in Bangalore for me. I can engage in sporadic fun-drives in my Ireland/UK trips with much better choices and on much better roads.
  3. Latin NCAP: I'm not able to understand this. The video of Front and side crash tests didn't look like loss of body-shell integrity. Also, the version in India gets ISOFIX tethers. I'd leave the rest for everybody's own interpretation.

Apologies for the long post and thanks a ton for the detailed review.
kmaitrey064 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:39   #353
BHPian

A somewhat similar situation to yours, @kmaitrey064

Of all the cars that we did TD of so far, wife's unconditional okay was only for the Tucson. There was no petrol car and hence we drove the diesel version. Since she has neck-related issues, firm/stiff suspensions immediately aggravate her condition and as it is Bangalore roads have enough potholes and even the brand-new concrete roads have so many undulations/uneven surfaces. Don't know who checks these at all, if anyone. But that's another story...

She felt the Tucson suspension setup was just right both in the front passenger and rear seats for our needs

We also TD the Octavia. Both TAFE access on St. Marks Road and PPS Skoda near Mekhri circle have the car for TD. Not sure which dealer you tried. This is now our 2nd choice. But just a few days after our TD, read the news on our forum about Skoda stopping the Octavia and Superb early next year. So it has put a dampener on things with respect to Skoda.

Same thing happened with the Crysta diesel few weeks earlier. This was another of the contenders in our list and got dropped when the news of diesel version booking stoppage news came out.

The XUV700 is still on the list, but while the TD was okay, it was not on the same level as Tucson or Octavia - granted the segment and price level difference is there. I've been waiting for the Petrol AT TD for more than a month and there is zero interest from dealer to call back. I check once a week and the answer always is - the petrol car has gone for some service and not available.

I am looking to see if there are good preowned options that can be considered so this is not left unexplored. Else the decision will likely be to go with Tucson or the Octavia. I am struggling to justify the cost of either of these two for myself

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 21:22. Reason: Octy - Octavia
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:10   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
We also TD the Octavia. Both TAFE access on St. Marks Road and PPS Skoda near Mekhri circle have the car for TD. Not sure which dealer you tried.
I tried Raja Skoda, Mahadevapura as it is nearest. I also put request for Tiguan TD at VW Palace Cross. They still are fumbling at arranging a TD for me. The nearby VW dealership gave-up right-away.

Quote:
The XUV700 is still on the list
I rejected Safari XZA+ Dark at PDI due to poor fit and finish. I felt somehow that car escaped quality checks at production. One can't always identify lack of quality with the electrical/mechanical functions of a car during PDI. I didn't want to take the risk and said goodbye to Tata/Mahindra. If I'm spending 20L+ OTR on my primary car, hassle-free ownership would personally be my theme. Hey, but to each, their own.

Quote:
I am looking to see if there are good preowned options that can be considered so this is not left unexplored. Else the decision will likely be to go with Tucson or the Octavia. I am struggling to justify the cost of either of these two for myself
Happy hunting, mate. I've been also doing the same. Especially with long waiting periods for the new cars, one must do something constructive in the meanwhile. Do let me know how it goes eventually for you
kmaitrey064 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:06   #355
BHPian

Received this email today from my Hyundai Dealer. Has anyone else received this?
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-screenshot-sep-12-230011.png

I see a lot of articles in other automotive sites over-praising Tucson, which feels like paid media. Hyundai terrible behaviour ; you should not have launched a car if you could not manage this low volume. I am losing faith in Hyundai. Probably so many folks saying they can't just pay 40 big ones for a Hyundai is making a lot more sense.
naikameya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:28   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Received this email today from my Hyundai Dealer. Has anyone else received this?
Attachment 2357831
I made the booking through the Hyundai website, and except for the initial acknowledgment mail, there is no information about the delivery status.

It has been almost three weeks, and till today no clue about the current booking status on the website or from the dealer whom I selected during booking. The only information I get from the dealer is they will let me know once the car is allotted.

In this aspect, Mahindra is far better than Hyundai. Even though they specify the delivery period in years, they have the guts and means to say a tentative date, but this is missing from Hyundai, and it looks like we are at the dealer's mercy.
samraat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 08:28   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2357831

I see a lot of articles in other automotive sites over-praising Tucson, which feels like paid media. Hyundai terrible behaviour ; you should not have launched a car if you could not manage this low volume. I am losing faith in Hyundai. Probably so many folks saying they can't just pay 40 big ones for a Hyundai is making a lot more sense.
When did you book and which variant? Also which dealer?

I will also check with my dealer and revert back. If this is true - it will be very sad.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:42   #358
BHPian

TD'd the Tucson while booking a Creta. I am considering an Octavia for myself which also I TD'd a couple of days back. Didn't enjoy the Tucson much. The interiros are fabulous , so are the exteriors. It's the lazy gearbox which I didn't enjoy. The mid range is sluggish. Gorgeous car though.
Old 13th September 2022, 11:18   #359

Quote:
Attachment 2357831

Let's have a numerical perspective, please. Kodiaq accepted bookings for 1000-1200 units in August which would be delivered in Jan-March 2023, according to the link below:

https://www.motorworldindia.com/skod...-quarter-2023/

The direct rival, Tiguan also doesn't have very high sales numbers, as per the link below, but according to the dealer has 7 months waiting.

https://www.v3cars.com/volkswagen-ca.../monthly-sales

Hyundai delivered around 340 Tucson in August 2022, according to this article below, that's almost immediately after launch.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/hyundai-tucso...2022-in-india/

I don't know how much of these are latest generation and if at all how much of them are old Tucson. I never followed Hyundai before launch of 2022 Tucson, so I can't tell for sure. One way or another, waiting is inevitable for this segment.

I'd suggest two things:
  1. Please talk to your dealer. Also get his assurance that your booking amount is refundable. There may be many more buyers frustrated enough to cancel their bookings, so if you're patient enough, you'd get a jump in the queue.
  2. If you can afford to wait, use this time to invest more money for the upcoming car purchase, and nobody's stopping you to look/wait for alternatives meanwhile.

I hope this helps.
kmaitrey064 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:32   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2357831
I also got the same email from the dealer, following which I reached out to the sales advisor. The response is that the delivery period remains the same as communicated earlier at time of booking, which is 8 to 10 months. For context, I booked AWD Diesel on 16-Aug with tentative delivery in May-23. As per the sales advisor there is no change to this date.

Last edited by shailendrakr : 13th September 2022 at 12:47. Reason: New information available
shailendrakr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed