Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2022, 22:26   #481

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishKallapur View Post
I too wanted the sunshades however Hyundai dealers don't have stock.
SA told me today that the genuine Hyundai accessories can be ordered directly from Hyundai through some app after delivery. He also mentioned that none of the dealers have any genuine accessories for Tucson currently as no shipments have happened from Hyundai yet. Not sure which app he was referring to.
Old 1st October 2022, 11:57   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttgart View Post
Not sure which app he was referring to.
He must be referring to this: https://hyundaimobisin.com/products/genuine-accessories

But even there, no Tucson to be seen

Mods: please merge this post if it is back to back.
Old 1st October 2022, 21:19   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy26 View Post
I got my car protected by LLumar platinum ppf as i feel it is more suited to my usage compared to ceramic coating and 3M cr70 tints all around.
If you didn't mind then please post some pictures post ppf and tint job and also sharing the service provider/costing details. It would be great help for others in making a decision.
Old 2nd October 2022, 23:59   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by nks81 View Post
An NA engine at 37+ L! Engine/Gearbox for petrol is same as a car from the same company at 13 lacs lesser price!

Will test drive it next week, but most likely will give it a pass. Its Tiguan vs Octavia for me (SUV vs Sedan)
Hi nks81, were you able to finalize your choice? Would be interesting to have your viewpoints and comparison around each!
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:08   #485
BHPian

Happy to share that today we took delivery of our Starry Night Tucson from the Advaith Hyundai Showroom at the Billekahalli branch. First time taking delivery of a car that I never did a test drive, but convinced about the capabilities and performance of this international car. The short drive today, did not disappoint and everything worked smoothly.

Selecting the car:

With my duster around 8 years old, it was time to identify the next workhorse. Until late last year Duster just was such a beauty to drive around, very planted, has nice power when you are on the highways and is very sure of itself in any situation. But alas things started to go south with back-to-back injector failures (middle of highway drive with family) in a span of 2K Kms after the first one was repaired. Mine was an AWD model with 110PS. Many owners are reporting this problem and Renault had a casual response citing that the quality of fuel is circumspect. Very poor way to respond to customers when they are still a growing brand in India and their stand in these situations not helping at all.

Now for my next one, I was clear I do not need complex engineering in the form of AWD and want a simple 2WD as my off-roading is close to nil even with the eight years of my Duster (bought the AWD as the ride quality was significantly better during that time).

I looked for better comfort and more power, more modern looking with all the bells and whistles. Shortlisted Merc GLC, Fortuner and then Hyundai Tucson. GLC was way above the planned budget though the looks and the drive of the car are fantastic. Fortuner started to slip from my interest as Toyota is very clearly looking to overhaul its diesel models with its discontinuation of booking of several diesel models. Fortuner is fun to drive and totally gives the boss mode while driving. With so many videos popping up on the YT about the new Tucson, started to take a serious look at this vehicle. Tucson completely appealed to my senses, features to my liking and my family loved the look of the car and its space.

Booking Experience

Initially, went ahead and booked a Creta (as Tucscon was not launched). Creta had a waiting period of 6 months when I booked in Jan 2022. However, I knew that the Tucson launch is in the second half of 2022 (Thanks to NDTV Car&bike) and requested my SA to switch the booking to Tucson once the bookings are announced. Waited patiently for the launch and bookings to announce. My SA mentioned the dealer needs an additional amount to transfer the booking to Tucson which I complied with. Once the bookings started, the allocation funda is a grey area and no one has any control over the car allocation process. There are so many different powers at play - Dealer, Hyundai Plant, Hyundai Sales. When I received the news from the dealer that the vehicle may take 6 to 8 months more to deliver as a standard response, I lost hope of getting this sooner. Then I had a chance to explain my case to the HMIL team about staying in the queue from pre-booking time for Tucson and asked for their help. The HMIL team deserves thanks and took my case with priority to allocate vehicles - either plant production or through cancelation around allotment time. My second choice was Starry Night color which got allotted.

PDI and Delivery

The dealer called up and confirmed that the car is allotted. Shared a proforma for the 2WD Signature Diesel model. Asking for payment to release the vehicle for delivery from Hyundai. Though the dealer mentioned that insurance can be from my side, he cited the benefits coming from the Hyundai Assurance Program with the insurance. With my bad experience with Duster at the back of my mind, I went for the Hyundai Insurance program. Added 5-year warranty. Once the payment is completed, the PDI was arranged in 2 days - at the stockyard and saw the beautiful Starry Night color and instantly knew that the vehicle is the perfect choice for my needs. Thanks to Team-BHP for the continuing details with the changing times around PDI, the whole event went smoothly. Once in agreement, the dealer started the RTO process and got this completed in a day. I wanted the delivery on Sunday, 02nd Oct and the dealer obliged. After some nice celebrations at the dealer’s place, we took delivery of our new car. Went with sweet boxes to be distributed to everyone at the dealership. Bought just the floor mat and a couple of pillows as accessories. Completed Fastag installation with Kotak at the dealer’s place.

First Drive

The dealer had a person familiar with Tucson to explain the features and familiarize the myriad tech gadget support inside. It is not easy to get schooled at this age on how to use features. Decided to learn on the go, took delivery and started to ride back home. Initial surprises with ADAS active help and beeps, the steering starts to feel heavy the moment the vehicle crosses 40Kms and struggling to find where and how to use the features of the car. It is going to take a while to get used to the change but loved the ride quality. Off to puja at a nearby Anjenaya swami temple and brought the car to my parking space.

What next

- looking to do PPF for the color as it is very easy to get scratches, master the controls and report back on the car and its performance to my extended team here.
I just have to thank everyone here in this thread who helped with their experiences and postings, Team-BHP for the fantastic car collaboration site. Happy to report this is the third car that I am buying with their input and no-nonsense reviews.
Thank you folks and keep the thread busy. Enjoy the festivities and my best wishes to all.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-new-tucscon.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-screenshot-20221002-131325.jpg  

sethu.murali is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:57   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethu.murali View Post
Happy to share that today we took delivery of our Starry Night Tucson f
Congratulations and wishing you many more miles of fun driving. A beautiful colour and goes well with the car. Hoping to see more Tucson on the road as deliveries ramp up. I saw White Tucson (not TD vehicle) 2 days back on road.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:31   #487
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Happy to share that today we took delivery of our Starry Night Tucson from the Advaith Hyundai Showroom at the Billekahalli branch. First time taking delivery of a car that I never did a test drive, but convinced about the capabilities and performance of this international car. The short drive today, did not disappoint and everything worked smoothly.
Congratulations on your new car. Wish you miles of safe and happy drives! I too have booked similar variant and shade with Trident Hyundai. Would be good to know your initial ownership experience.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:31   #488

Quote:
Happy to share that today we took delivery of our Starry Night Tucson
Heartiest Congratulations for the new car!! That is one nice looking shade on Tucson!

I visited another dealership here in Mumbai who had a Petrol TD vehicle available. The TD experience was really underwhelming (no offence to all Delhi NCR folks who are forced to pick petrol powertrains). The car of this size definitely deserves a Turbo petrol unit at least. It's a shame that we don't get the engine options (including hybrids) that rest of world gets and is so happy about.

One surprising thing I noticed was all the Tucsons that were ready for delivery at that dealership had genuine Hyundai mats in them. I remember reading posts on this forum about how these mats are not available with dealers yet. My SA said these mats are the only accessories being provided by Hyundai for Tucson so far.
Stuttgart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:32   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Happy to share that today we took delivery of our Starry Night Tucson from the Advaith Hyundai Showroom at the Billekahalli branch.
Congratulations and wish you many happiest miles.

As you mentioned, it takes a while to make friends with this car. It chats a lot

KrishKallapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 23:06   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
Can't see any AWD lock button here, is it located somewhere else or Hyundai has given that too a miss?
Also, could you plz rate the engine refinement of the Tucson wrt the Compass Diesel & XUV700 Diesel?
Thanks!
As a former owner of a Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited Plus model I can probably answer your question satisfactorily.

The Compass engine and gearbox refinement or rather the lack of it is pretty evident the moment you start the Tucson.

It's like comparing a Tractor with smooth Vtec engine. Well this may be a tad to extreme but I hope you get the drift.

The Tucson is way more silent, refined and quick than the Compass.

One thing I noticed during the test drive is that the AWD kicks in very frequently. Even while driving very sedately I could see the torque split between the front and rear axles being displayed on the MID. I also asked the Sales guy and he said that it a permanent AWD system and continously keep shifting the torque.

You don't need to really drive like a race car driver to get the AWD to start doing it's work. It is always working transparently and I could see that on the MID.

There is no AWD lock and if we are to believe the sales guy about the system being a permanent AWD then probably a dedicated lock may not be needed anyway. This is a softroader at the end of the day.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 16:35   #491

The Tucson assigned to me reached the Dealer yard this morning. I was not able to see the Amazon grey colour at any dealership in Chennai. Visited the yard to see the car and confirm my colour choice. Colour looks good. Though i think the car was driven to the yard, the SA says the car came in a truck to the yard. The yard is 27 kms from the Hyundai Factory and the odo shows 39 kms!! By the time they bring it to the showroom, do the vehicle registration, and deliver the vehicle, the odo may near 100 kms. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-pic-1.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-car2.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2022 at 19:30. Reason: Typo
Deep_petrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 20:45   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_petrol View Post
The yard is 27 kms from the Hyundai Factory and the odo shows 39 kms!! By the time they bring it to the showroom, do the vehicle registration, and deliver the vehicle, the odo may near 100 kms. Is this normal?
Congratulations on your new car!!

When I did my PDI in Blr, the odo read 25kms. While some it was to and fro from yard vs container truck, the rest was apprently testing / PDI by Hyundai at the plant after assembling the kit.

You will see that the tyres are covered in plastic and have an orange dot sticker, so they aren't water - washed. The fact that the tyres are very clean should be an indication that it wasnt driven much on city roads.

Did you get the AWD or 2WD?
sudiptaadhya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 21:07   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudiptaadhya View Post
Congratulations on your new car!!

Did you get the AWD or 2WD?
I got a 2WD. Primarily for city and occasional highway driving.
Old 4th October 2022, 21:47   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_petrol View Post
The Tucson assigned to me reached the Dealer yard this morning. I was not able to see the Amazon grey colour at any dealership in Chennai. Visited the yard to see the car and confirm my colour choice. Colour looks good. Though i think the car was driven to the yard, the SA says the car came in a truck to the yard. The yard is 27 kms from the Hyundai Factory and the odo shows 39 kms!! By the time they bring it to the showroom, do the vehicle registration, and deliver the vehicle, the odo may near 100 kms. Is this normal?
Hello there,

Could you please share the below information.I have pre booked Tucson on July 18th i am yet to receive any information about the car delivery Date my SA keeps saying that Hyundai is not accepting the order. Even after Pre booking i am waiting for 60+ days without any update. So requesting you share the below details.

1. Dealer Name
2. Petrol or Diesel & variant
3. Booking Date

Thank you!

Last edited by Mathan1130 : 4th October 2022 at 22:07.
Old 6th October 2022, 13:48   #495

My First SUV – Hyundai Tucson

Getting a new car is always exciting, and it was nothing different for me, especially when it is my first SUV and that too in the luxurious range. Goosebumps

Before I jump in to my overall buying experience, quick update on my car collection:
  • Elite i20 ASTA 1.2 VTVT -> 2016 - Present
  • Grand i10 Sportz Auto -> 2017 - Present
  • VW Polo Highline TSI -> 2012 - 2020
  • Santro Xing XG -> 2004 - 2018

A new car was on the cards from almost 2020, but due to Covid, things changed and I did not prioritize for obvious reasons. However, it was in the start of this year, as things normalized, I started looking for options actively. We are a family of four, mostly I am the one who is too choosy/picky on things, and it continues for car as well. However, we were expecting following things from our next car:
  • A car in the range of 30 lacs
  • Safety (No compromise)
  • Reliability (Mom was against any compromise and experiment)
  • Sunroof
  • Spacious leg room
  • Sufficient boot space for long journey luggage
  • Strictly petrol
  • Preferred automatic as my wife & father loves it, I was open for manual as well

With these expectations, we started the casual search for our new car from April 2022. I was keeping an eye on the new Tucson launch, as my Father in law, who himself is a car enthusiast, was also looking forward to it. As we kept exploring the existing cars, we were in June without any specific car of interest. In the meantime, I did hear lot of rumors about Tucson being launched by July. After reading few articles on the expected features, etc., I thought of waiting to at-least see the car in person before taking a call.

Finally, the launch date announced was 4th of Aug 2022, and Hyundai started the pre-booking from 18th of July (I may be wrong but this is the best I can remember as of today). Considering the high waiting period on other cars, I thought of grabbing this opportunity and immediately did my pre-launch booking on 20th of July with the required token amount with Kothari Hyundai, Aundh, Pune.

My pre-booking experience:

I did my pre-booking with Kothari Hyundai, and the process was pretty smooth. The SA helped me with the entire formalities and mentioned the delivery time as 2-3 months (from the date of launch). The car model was final beforehand itself, as I had decided to take the top end (due to inclination towards ADAS), Petrol variant, in white color (mandate for all cars in our family ).

I was excited to see the car in person; however, the “grand” launch was postponed again by 1-week to 10th August. Finally, the D-day came and they invited us to the launch at the Swargate, Pune showroom. It was love at first sight. The looks were absolutely stunning, and we were intrigued by the features, quality, and the boot space. There were two cars on display, one in black and the other in white. All of us just loved the design, features, interiors, etc.

We decided to continue with the pre-booking, though the search for other cars continued as I struggled to get a test-drive until mid of September. In between, the prices were revealed, and the model I chose was costing 36 lacs OTR, frankly at-least 5-6 lacs more of what I expected. Finally, we test drove the car on 14th September, that too a diesel one, as the SA confirmed that there is no Petrol TD car available.

Before I get into the driving experience, here are the options of the cars we considered in a span of almost 2 months:

VW Taigun:
- Liked
-> Solid VW built
-> Typical VW driving pleasure and German engine feel. I compared it to Polo which I drove for almost 8 years
-> Easy ingress and egress for my parents

Did not like
-> The overall feel was ok, did not feel premium from inside
-> Lacking basic features of panoramic sunroof, 360 cameras etc.

VW Virtus (Almost booked)
- Liked
-> Classy looks and comfort. Specially for rear seats the leg-room was spacious
-> Suspension was good, the ride was not bumpy
-> Premium feel
-> Paddle shifters
-> Typical VW engine and driving pleasure. I drove 1.0 TSI & DSG GT
-> Big boot space

Did not like
-> Typical Sedan feel, not fulfilling the need of a SUV. It would not solve the purpose as i20 is sufficient as a sedan to some extent

MG Hector
- Liked
-> Huge car
-> Ample of features
-> Driving experience was good

Did not like
-> Fuel efficiency is too low
-> No free services. Not even the first one
-> 3-4 months of waiting period
-> New facelift model on the cards (no date confirmed by the SA though)

Hyundai Alcazar
- Liked
-> Spacious
-> 7-seater
-> Ample of features and safety standards

Did not like
-> Bumpy ride, parents were not comfortable sitting in the rear
-> A 7-seater Creta in all forms. No different at all

Merc New GLA
-> Did not test drive as the cost was going to ~55 lacs OTR

Jeep Meridian
-> Was open to consider. However, the recent experiences from some fellow Team-BHP members and the trouble my brother-in-law (@rda) faced, my mom was completely against taking the risk in terms of reliability
-> We did not test drive the vehicle as it was not available in Pune

Finally, we got an opportunity to test drive Tucson

What we liked:
  • Since it was a diesel car, of-course it was powerful. However, the SA told me that Tucson carries the same petrol engine like Alcazar. Overall driving feel was nice
  • Premium quality interiors and finish. The seats, dashboards, steering everything was way better to other Hyundai cars
  • ADAS. I tried blind spot monitoring, lane assist, electronic power braking, 360 degree camera, turn camera on indicators, sensors while taking a too close turn in a heavy traffic
  • Memory seats and electronic adjustment of them
  • Dual AC, separate for driver and co-driver
  • Panoramic sunroof
  • Huge boot space

What we expected more:
  • Paddle shifters
  • Rear sunblind (provided in Alcazar)
  • Rubber mat kits & mud flaps are not part of standard accessories. Expected Hyundai to provide such basic things in this segment. Even though I wanted to purchase, they were out of stock with a waiting period of almost 3-weeks

Overall, it was either we park our decision for buying a car for at-least 6 months, and wait for the new Creta (with no date on the charts as of today), or we go ahead with Tucson.

After numerous discussions, trust me this was the only topic whole day for almost 2-weeks, we decided to finalize Tucson.

This was based on the things we liked, and majorly the kind of reliability, trust, presence and experience we had with Hyundai for 17+ years. However we didn't get any loyalty bonus from them.

I got my car delivered yesterday, on the auspicious occasion of Dusshera.

My delivery experience:
  • Total 70 cars were scheduled for delivery. Kothari Hyundai invited us to their workshop for delivery
  • The car deliveries were already planned in a systematic way
  • Breakfast and proper sitting arrangement was in place
  • The entire team was super helpful
  • It took ~1 hour for the entire delivery process
  • The car demo will be done at my home within next 2-weeks

Some initial experiences (I have driven for almost 75kms)
  1. Super smooth driving. I didn't feel the gear change jerks
  2. Comfortable drive. Potholes are not felt
  3. Little lag if I put the complete foot down. Need to handle gently
  4. Since ADAS is on, and I didn't touch it before demo, it shows front collision warning, lane change, etc. Even when I was too close to a car in-front, it applied auto-brakes
  5. The navigation is continuous, the commands are via rear left speaker, and the music is intercepted. It warns for all the cross-roads or schools
  6. The car lock and unlock has a separate horn linked to it. It's not loud as the normal car horn
  7. Used memory seats feature. Worked as a charm.

I will share my experiences after driving for a month or so. Thank you for reading.

Some pics. The last one is the NOMAD Mat from 3M. Planning for CR70 as well.

Kindly recommend if there are better options, in terms of performance and cost.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_7893.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_7889.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_7914.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2022 at 08:21.
The Blue Panda is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed