Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2022, 21:08   #616

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

There are also multi-terrain modes that adjust the powertrain to suit the terrain conditions. You can choose from the following settings - Snow, Mud and Sand. The AWD and terrain modes will help you when touring remote parts of the country and over the likes of slush, muck & sand. Remember that the Tuscon is no offroader like the Fortuner or Endeavour.
Old 14th November 2022, 21:16   #617

Is it true that in AWD vehicles like the Hyundai Tuscon which has the HTRAC if one tyre is damaged one has to purchase all other remaining 3 tyres of the same specification otherwise it creates havoc with the computerized AWD system (different weight etc).
I am stupid. Would love clarification.
PS. I follow Scotty Kilmers channel.
Aveer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 17:24   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by madagascar View Post
After 500 kms of driving Tucson, I experienced the forward collision assistance twice yesterday. In both cases, I felt that I had the complete control of the situation, but the car felt otherwise. It was indeed scary when the car takes control over you and jams the brakes all of a sudden.

I immediately changed the setting to "warning" only. I can never drive the car with the setting as "Active Assistance" after yesterday's experience. But unfortunately this setting gets overwritten everytime the car is started. The other driver assistance settings retain their value to whatever we have set.

Any thoughts on how to permanently change this setting to "Warning" only?
I experienced emergency braking once when the vehicle ahead was a slowing down old scooter. On two other occasions collision alert appeared. During both these instances I was behind a slowing down auto rickshaw. In all the three instances there was no need to immediately apply brake in reality. After going through the manual, from what i understood , I believe the system is more sensitive to vehicles that have weak braking capacity like scooters, autos etc. I reported these incidents to the company and also as feedback told them to provide retention of warning only option if selected. Waiting for response.
CARnivore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 22:09   #619
BHPian

Quote:
All other driver assistance options do not reset, except for forward collision assistance. It has been clearly mentioned in the user manual also. Please check your FCA option. Probably you never came across a situation which required immediate brake assistance ��
You are correct, it resets every time. I have experienced the warning and maybe even braking but I was not at very high speeds that it applied hard brakes and I was still pretty much in control of the car. I might have overridden it by applying some pressure on the accelerator. Unfortunately, I can't test it, nor should anyone in the real world.

Probably someone who has seen the ADAS media videos can comment.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th November 2022 at 21:38. Reason: typo: brakes
Old 15th November 2022, 22:41   #620

Is there a way, us owners can get together and write to Hyundai to bring “retain old settings for emergency brakes” in next software update. Yesterday, I had a near death experience when my car came to a standstill from 70kmph to 0 within 3ish seconds because it predicted someone coming in from a u-turn opening. Luckily, no one was behind me. I am so scared of handing over my vehicle to family now. Every time, someone takes the vehicle out, I remind them to turn the settings off.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th November 2022 at 21:38. Reason: typo: brakes
puri.sarang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 06:42   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puri.sarang View Post
Is there a way, us owners can get together and write to Hyundai to bring “retain old settings for emergency brakes” in next software update. Yesterday, I had a near death experience when my car came to a standstill from 70kmph to 0 within 3ish seconds because it predicted someone coming in from a u-turn opening. Luckily, no one was behind me. I am so scared of handing over my vehicle to family now. Everytime, someone takes the vehicle out, I remind them to turn the settings off.
I think we should write to Hyundai to update the software accordingly. What works in western world definitely doesn’t work in India in the same manner. So they need to adapt the software accordingly or give the option to the users to have control on it.

Is there a way to write to them collectively from the forum or we need to write to Hyundai individually?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th November 2022 at 21:39. Reason: quoted post edited.
madagascar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 21:36   #622
BHPian

Does the Tucson have a radar sensor?

Disconnecting power supply to the sensor should work.

FCW/A should show an error. It will stop working. If it also takes input from the camera sensor, need to disconnect power supply of that sensor assembly.

Another option is to cover the radar sensor with 2-3 layers of aluminum foil, that should render the sensor useless which in turn would put the ADAS features in error mode. This is not the safest option, as it may generate spurious outputs of the radar as well, thereby making the braking even weirder. Disconnecting power supply is best.

Expecting country specific software changes may not work out. Once a car has passed NCAP they cannot make random changes to the ADAS feature set, especially ones that involve disabling default active features.

Last edited by GoBlue : 16th November 2022 at 21:42.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 11:09   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveer View Post
Is it true that in AWD vehicles like the Hyundai Tuscon which has the HTRAC if one tyre is damaged one has to purchase all other remaining 3 tyres of the same specification otherwise it creates havoc with the computerized AWD system (different weight etc).
Short answer is yes: https://www.lesschwab.com/article/re...d-vehicle.html
Long answer is it depends system to system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARnivore View Post
I reported these incidents to the company and also as feedback told them to provide retention of warning only option if selected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
You are correct, it resets every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puri.sarang View Post
Is there a way, us owners can get together and write to Hyundai to bring “retain old settings for emergency brakes” in next software update.
Every time, someone takes the vehicle out, I remind them to turn the settings off.
Quote:
I think we should write to Hyundai to update the software accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Disconnecting power supply to the sensor should work.
Expecting country specific software changes may not work out. Once a car has passed NCAP they cannot make random changes to the ADAS feature set, especially ones that involve disabling default active features.
Not a Tucson owner, but please do not experiment with any silly DIY methods like disconnecting the radar sensor or covering with aluminum foil. It will definitely throw multiple errors and even cause even more uncertain behaviors.

Further, Hyundai warranty + insurance coverage is decided on certain set parameters agreed upon and homologated by ARAI during the one-time approval process. Changing these will almost certainly lead to major issues if there is any claim.

Instead, get into the reflex habit of switching it to 'warning only' every time the car is started up. No doubt hugely irritating but there is no way out. Most G20 BMW owners like me do it by reflex for our (admittedly one-button-push) Auto-Start-Stop feature.

Again, as GoBlue has mentioned, highly unlikely Hyundai India will orchestrate a change to this globally manufactured CKD vehicle.

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th November 2022 at 11:13.
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 14:31   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Short answer is yes: https://www.lesschwab.com/article/re...d-vehicle.html
Long answer is it depends system to system.
The manual clearly says that tires have to be changed in pairs rather individually irrespective of 2WD or 4WD
Name:  Screenshot 20221117 142936.png
Views: 1108
Size:  58.6 KB
madagascar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 19:12   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Not a Tucson owner, but please do not experiment with any silly DIY methods like disconnecting the radar sensor or covering with aluminum foil.
Disabling the power supply is a simple workaround.

The ADAS ECU would go into error mode and the features will get disabled.

Once the feature gets disabled, that indication/acknowledgment will be shown on the instrument cluster and there would be absolutely no possibility of actuator (brake, steering and accelerator) control being done by the ADAS ECU.

I'm not suggesting every Tucson owner should experiment with a brand new car, however for those who are apprehensive of ADAS and wish to disable it, this is the easiest approach. It is wrong to assume that there's any impact on warranty either, merely reconnecting the power supply will keep service centers clueless.

Another approach is to simply remove the CAN connector from the Radar ECU with power supply connections intact, this shall also have the same effect - ADAS ECU will be in error mode.

Quote:
It will definitely throw multiple errors and even cause even more uncertain behaviors.
As I'd already mentioned, only however, in the case of covering with aluminum foil.

Quote:
This is not the safest option, as it may generate spurious outputs of the radar as well, thereby making the braking even weirder.
This approach may be silly as per your opinion, and you're entitled to it, however it is far sillier for an owner to have people bang into their vehicle from the rear and have to explain that it was the "machine" that braked, not them.

Auto start-stop is a trivial annoyance compared with the havoc that full braking can cause on a highway or crowded street.

Last edited by GoBlue : 17th November 2022 at 19:18.
Old 17th November 2022, 19:48   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not suggesting every Tucson owner should experiment with a brand new car, however for those who are apprehensive of ADAS and wish to disable it, this is the easiest approach.
Hey, peace on earth. I neither own a 2022 Tucson and neither do you from your profile.

I'd still maintain the 'easiest approach' is to deactivate the auto-braking every time, rather than fiddle with a 38-42L brand new vehicle with features that even Hyundai India is not familiar with.

Anyway, I am done providing my unsolicited advice. Best of luck to Tucson owners disconnecting ADAS and/or the aluminum foil thingy.

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th November 2022 at 19:52.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 21:42   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, peace on earth. I neither own a 2022 Tucson and neither do you from your profile.

I'd still maintain the 'easiest approach' is to deactivate the auto-braking every time, rather than fiddle with a 38-42L brand new vehicle with features that even Hyundai India is not familiar with.

Anyway, I am done providing my unsolicited advice. Best of luck to Tucson owners disconnecting ADAS and/or the aluminum foil thingy.
Peace, it wasn't me.

I design ECU platform software for a living (including, but not limited to ADAS). Here to help out scared Tucson owners to fix that "ADAS problem".

Can understand that 40L car buyers are going to be mortified having to roll out kitchen grade aluminum foil to wrap around that sexy grill. That would make the DRLs pale in comparison.

It's stupid that OEMs are bringing AD tech to India knowing that it isn't going to work very well.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 00:30   #628
BHPian

Quote:
It's stupid that OEMs are bringing AD tech to India knowing that it isn't going to work very well.
That’s the reason there are 2 variants, one with ADAS and the other without. For anyone who’s uncomfortable, they can save money and buy the variant without ADAS

I’ve done a lot of highway driving and city driving and find the ADAS features to be really helpful. The idea is to promote safety and it's always good to reduce speed where there can be a possibility of a collision (e.g., the braking at the road cut out cited earlier).

I’ve also had a few occasions where the car was about to brake, but there was sufficient time from when the warning chime sounded till the auto brakes are applied, and if you lightly tap the brakes at that point, the car will not auto brake.

I personally think that the system has been designed with lots of different scenarios in mind, and let us not do ADAS-bashing unless we’ve really experienced it in the car (and I think the implementation is great!). Peace out

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th November 2022 at 07:31. Reason: breaks -> brakes
sudiptaadhya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 08:00   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Peace, it wasn't me.

I design ECU platform software for a living (including, but not limited to ADAS). Here to help out scared Tucson owners to fix that "ADAS problem".
Now that I know your background .

Tell me, if owners disconnect the ADAS ECU etc., won't it leave a log in the main ECU? I am perpetually suspicious of such 'deep' logs that cannot be cleared by a generic OBD tool.
Old 18th November 2022, 10:05   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudiptaadhya View Post
That’s the reason there are 2 variants, one with ADAS and the other without. For anyone who’s uncomfortable, they can save money and buy the variant without ADAS

I’ve done a lot of highway driving and city driving and find the ADAS features to be really helpful. The idea is to promote safety and it's always good to reduce speed where there can be a possibility of a collision (e.g., the braking at the road cut out cited earlier).

I’ve also had a few occasions where the car was about to brake, but there was sufficient time from when the warning chime sounded till the auto brakes are applied, and if you lightly tap the brakes at that point, the car will not auto brake.

I personally think that the system has been designed with lots of different scenarios in mind, and let us not do ADAS-bashing unless we’ve really experienced it in the car (and I think the implementation is great!). Peace out
All it takes is just one sudden braking experience and all your perception changes
My first experience happened after driving for 500 KMs and till that time, I always experienced a warning sound, if at all the front vehicle is slowing down rapidly or my car rapidly approaching a person crossing the road etc. So I really felt good about it.
But in the two bad experiences I had, where the car just slammed the brakes all of a sudden, I had no warning sound. That's when I got scary. In both situations, I was driving my car slowly(starting from a signal and the other was slowing for my building security). In both cases, I felt that I had complete control of the car, before it took over.

If you see the manual in section 7, there are around 5 to 6 pages, just talking about limitations of FCA assistance. And Hyundai themselves are acknowledging the fact that FCA assistance can operate incorrectly based on those limitations. And the traffic in India would satisfy almost all those limitations . If that's the case, why not give the option to the user to set the option to "Warning" while driving inside the city or wherever the user feels there are limitations.
Name:  Screenshot 20221118 094900.png
Views: 1130
Size:  133.6 KB

Anyway moving away from ADAS, did anybody find out how to permanently set the driving mode to "SMART" ? It always resets to "NORMAL".
madagascar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed