Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 13:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Hyundai Tucson design reminds me of Lamborghini Urus.

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-2022hyundaitucson02.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-urusdesign3.jpg

Somehow I'm not convinced with the pricing. I feel Hyundai is asking too much in the name of premium and brand image.

Here is the 'diesel' only comparison. I feel Jeep Meridian makes more sense as a all round family car. (Source : Carwale)
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-comp.jpg
HammerHead is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:03   #32
BHPian

Nice review as always. The 42 lakhs for the signature 2wd diesel is too expensive for my liking. Going to visit the showroom tomorrow to look at the car and try to understand the justification behind the pricing . Mostly probably I will cancel my booking. Further, I saw couple of videos on YouTube and it seems the car is not very engaging to drive and offers more relaxed drive experience compared to competition.
Also I know its just me but cant wrap my head around a 4 million Hyundai

Last edited by ChetanM6 : 12th August 2022 at 14:06.
Old 12th August 2022, 14:08   #33
BHPian

@HammerHead : Urus inspired design indeed. Nice catch.

Pricing wise, to me it seems dead on arrival. Hyundai could easily have very high localisation ( despite that ? )

It seems to be competing in C5 Aircross, Meridian price range and Stellantis brands stand a better chance there than Hyundai.
Old 12th August 2022, 14:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Further, I saw couple of videos on YouTube and it seems the car is not very engaging to drive and offers more relaxed drive experience compared to competition.
Also I know its just me but cant wrap my head around a 4 million Hyundai
Thats the most disappointing part. Most reviews are calling out the soft suspension set up, body movements and not engaging to drive
Old 12th August 2022, 14:41   #35
BHPian

As a Citroen C5 Aircross owner , all i can say is that this car looks Super Premium compared to the Citroen, i would definitely pay the premium that Hyundai is charging !

The Tucson Feature list itself will put the C5 to shame.
360 degree Cameras, ADAS , Cooled and ventilated seats and the list goes on .

Most frustrating part of owning the C5, manual controls for the passenger seat adjustments. Tucson has Powered passenger seats as well.

The interiors are on another Level altogether. Especially the rear seats , they look so plush and spacious .

For someone with primarily Urban commute and occasional Highway usage , Tucson make so much more sense than a C5 Aircross.

USP of the C5 Aircross is its ride quality and i seriously doubt if the Tucson can match it , let alone beat it in this area.

Will wait to see the Tucson in person before commenting on the build quality.
SRISRI_90 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I think the tucson is overpriced too but you will have to pay around 8-10l more for an X1.
Agree with what you're saying but I was only thinking out loud:

1. If I wanted reliability & resale there's Fortuner

2. If I wanted something compact - there is the Compass - cheaper & proven

3. If I want space - I can pick the Gloster

4. If I want to stand out I'd get the Aircross or even the Tiguan as it's not as common as the others

With all these in mind and the price being so high - I can only think of the very urbane users who really want more features may want to pick this up. But my dilemma there too is that this crowd may be brand conscious and wouldn't mind the small premium to get a German, even if bare bones.

Sad in a way as these soft roader mid-size SUVs (this and CRV) are perfect for our cities (and the weekend rides) and the upper middle class demographic but are priced poorly and lack the brand appeal to be priced so close to the Germans for somebody who is brand conscious to buy. And the front reminds me of the updated Venue and I'm sure the SA will say its a baby Tucson and help sell more of it (which may hurt this one surely). And the waitlist of 10 months just seems fake, I own a Hyundai myself and the whiteboard at the showroom I visit for service with the wait times / waitlist hasn't been changed for a very long time for many vehicles. It's just to make people put down the booking amount first.

Last edited by TejasV : 12th August 2022 at 15:02.
TejasV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 15:03   #37
BHPian

Whom is Hyundai targeting as the potential clientele for a vehicle which competes with the Meridian in On-Road Pricing? Also, might be nitpicking here, but USB-A ports only is a bit of a miss along with the fact that there's no wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay! Rear-bench looks cramped as illustrated by Omkar in the review which means it can only comfortably seat 4 whereas the Meridian has an extra 3rd row... Won't be a crowd puller like the usual Hyundai offerings.
Old 12th August 2022, 15:15   #38
BHPian

Atrocious pricing. Should have been Santa-fe atleast with the pricing.
Old 12th August 2022, 15:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post
And the front reminds me of the updated Venue and I'm sure the SA will say its a baby Tucson and help sell more of it (which may hurt this one surely).
Ha Ha! That is quite an observation. Shall we call this one a Mega Venue?
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 15:49   #40
BHPian

What is happening with car launches these days? Every company is hell bent on overpricing. Oh, how I wish all these overpriced cars were complete flops! But, apparently the new Tucson has 8 to 10 months waiting period. I would have thought that with this kind of mindless pricing strategy, Hyundai should have to wait for 8 to 10 months to get a customer. (The waiting period might just be fake though. We are well aware how they artificially inflated the waiting period with Creta)
ashlil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 15:55   #41
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review. Any further inputs on AWD system on how it behaved? I've still kept my booking but in dilemma if should move to 2WD from AWD and save almost 2Lakhs OTR Bangalore. For me, the AWD was mainly from additional safety point of view with rain and slush we see in Bangalore and maybe trips towards hilly areas (Coorg/Chikmagalur) during rains. However, I have so far never got my Honda City stuck and am usually careful on which roads my car goes through (even if that means a long diversion) and now with a powerful Diesel engine, wondering if I can live with 2WD and save that extra 2 lakhs. Would love to get some feedback on these aspects. It is a big investment and I do keep cars for long time(my Honda City is 8+ years and is just perfect), so do not want to skip a feature which I repent later nor want to overpay for something I am over thinking on .

Last edited by neel911 : 12th August 2022 at 15:56.
Old 12th August 2022, 16:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
What is happening with car launches these days? Every company is hell bent on overpricing. Oh, how I wish all these overpriced cars were complete flops! But, apparently the new Tucson has 8 to 10 months waiting period. I would have thought that with this kind of mindless pricing strategy, Hyundai should have to wait for 8 to 10 months to get a customer. (The waiting period might just be fake though. We are well aware how they artificially inflated the waiting period with Creta)
It is absolutely a valid waiting period, if they deliver their first car in April-2023. Please don't undermine the power of a manufacturer in seller's market. The car market is becoming a comedy show.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 12th August 2022 at 16:06.
Old 12th August 2022, 16:52   #43
R_R
BHPian

As always, a terrific and balanced review. The key problem with the Tucson, as I see it at least, is that they bought in the 2.0L petrol, instead of the 1.6T, which seems to be much more spirited and gives AWD in the petrol version too. I am also curious why they gave up on the shift-by-wire for India. But other than these, I think it's a great offering. Yes, price is an issue, but then that's the general situation with all manufacturers in this segment. Even if it's CKD, I assume the US $ exchange rate matters, and of course, taxes. Can't do much about either of that. But the price is where I expected it to be. But this trend of "sold out for the year" within 24 hours of launch business is beginning to seriously irritate me!
Old 12th August 2022, 17:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
For me, the AWD was mainly from additional safety point of view with rain and slush we see in Bangalore and maybe trips towards hilly areas (Coorg/Chikmagalur) during rains.
It is a big investment and I do keep cars for long time(my Honda City is 8+ years and is just perfect), so do not want to skip a feature which I repent later nor want to overpay for something I am over thinking on .
Honestly unless you regularly go deep into coffee plantations/farms where roads are non existent you will not need a AWD. Even in those cases you are better off with a 4WD. In my opinion this shouldn’t influence your decision.

Unfortunately these are not investments. They are expenses and get depreciated right from the showroom gate. Money saved is always money in the pocket.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 18:27   #45
BHPian

A few points I would like to mention here with regards to why the Tucson stands out as one of the best SUV's in the 35L to 50L price range:
  • The Tucson is an international best seller for Hyundai. It packs a great combination of reliability, safety, comfort & features. The quality levels are far superior to the cheaper models sold by Hyundai India. The Tucson is one of the most reliable cars in its segment internationally. This combined with Hyundai's fairly extensive sales & service network pan-India makes its a very safe choice. Barring Toyota, no other SUV manufacturer at this price point can offer a comparable stress-free ownership experience.
  • Very few competitors in this class offer the choice of Petrol/Diesel motors. The potent 2.0 CRDi paired with that great 8 speed torque convertor makes this one of the smoothest driving diesel vehicles in its class. Even in the previous gen Tucson, this engine & gearbox combo has been highly praised by owners & reviewers. The optional AWD is just an icing on the cake.
  • Loads of space for all passengers. Granted this may not be a 7 seater, the Tucson is actually a segment larger than the Compass. I test drove the Compass recently and was shocked by how tiny the cabin felt. All reviews of the Meridian indicate that legroom is same as the compass, this gives the Tucson a clear advantage in terms of interior real estate. In comparison to the 2 Jeeps, the Tucson actually justifies its price tag in this regard. The Compass & Meridian maybe more fun behind the wheel, but the Tucson is the better family car. Period.
  • Hyundai has gone all out with this new Tucson when it comes to safety. One might argue the need for level 2 ADAS on Indian roads, but these very features might make all the difference in case of an unfortunate event. As confirmed in the reviews, the Tucson has scored 5 stars in Euro NCAP & Australian NCAP crash tests. So there is no question here on the safety aspect. No other vehicle under 50L price range offers these many active & passive safety features.
Nair.V8 is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks