Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 18:50   #46
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Booked the Diesel Automatic 4WD version. Lets see how long they take to deliver.
slackyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 19:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

I had made a Pre-booking of Hyundai Tucson. Yet to see it in person. Just like everyone has expressed, the pricing is 3-4 lakhs higher than expected. One thing I can confidently say is that, CKD cars are very well packaged.

There is no mention of Fuel Efficiency Figures anywhere ! Is there any info on that.

Question to all prospective Tucson Buyer's -

Has the pricing made you look at other alternatives at a slight compromise in some aspects.

I am in dilemma because, i have considered all SUVs under 30 lakhs. Take Tata Harrier for example, i like the way it looks, drives, rides but despite the updates, quality is still not upto the mark and the Touchscreen HU sucks. It's not worth it. Misses some features competition has.

Next, Mahindra XUV7OO, everything is good in this car except few things like Rear Seat which isn't that spacious as Safari. More than that, the high waiting and niggles associated with Mahindra has made me rethink of one. Although I am not particular about color, but getting one quickly isn't going to be easy.

Jeep Compass is a good package, but is expensive and not as big as these. Also, it's already a 5 year old product.

That's where the Hyundai Tucson made sense to wait, but now it's finally here, and Hyundai screwed up the pricing just like their recent launches. Apart from pricing and some missing features present in lower models of Hyundai, i like this new Tucson as a package.

But the bigger question is - Is this New Tucson a Good Replacement for a Volkswagen Jetta?

That's something i haven't been able to get through.
CarguyNish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 19:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Tarun Garg, Director - Sales and Marketing Hyundai India talks about the new Tucson.

- LWB crucial for Indian customers, who value backseat space.

- Many Creta buyers looking to upgrade and Tucson is the answer.

- Tucson's status as a global best seller is a big part of its appeal.

- Tucson has close to 3500 bookings even before launch.

- Around 70% of Tucson sales expected to be diesel variants.

Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 19:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Surprisingly, the sunroof doesn't open all the way. The old car's sunroof opened up much more (reference image):
Is this a bug already? Because according to the brochure, the sunroof is supposed to open fully.
Screengrab from the e-brochure:

Name:  sunroof.png
Views: 2935
Size:  361.8 KB
sarathlal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

But the bigger question is - Is this New Tucson a Good Replacement for a Volkswagen Jetta?
It would depend on what is a 'good replacement' according to you.
If it is new features, lively cabin, feel good factor of new car etc., it would definitely be a good replacement for Jetta. Also would be more reliable considering new car.
But if it is ride and handling, performance, fun to drive etc., it wouldnt be (based on my extensive drive of Jetta and previous Tucson). Personally I wouldnt trade off Jetta for Tucson, as Jetta is a much superior product which is almost there with big 3 Germans. I would rather do a stage 1 remap and bump up the power
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:38   #51
BHPian

Excellent review as usual, thanks for putting it together. Coming to the car, had high hopes on this car to replace my 12 year old swift petrol. Looking for a 5-seater SUV that can drive/handle well and shortlisted the Compass and Tucson. Almost finalized Compass but was holding out for this new version.
Alas, got disappointed on 2 fronts-
- 1st being the price
- 2nd is something that I can't put a finger on but it doesn't feel as complete to me as the outgoing Tucson. Sure, feature-wise it's like a generation gap with the older car and it's easy to get dazzled by the looks but somehow I felt the finesse was missing, like some smaller details. For instance, a nice place under the boot floor to secure the boot cover. There are some more which I can't recollect now. As I said, somehow it just doesn't feel finished.

Also, any idea how the body-roll is compared to the older Tucson and Compass ?
When I test-drove the older Tucson back to back with Compass, my wife seating at the back-seat mentioned that over the same patch of under-construction road, the Compass was much more composed but the old Tucson had some degree of sidewise movements which she didn't like. Looking at the highlighted portion of the review, looks like the handling will be similar to the outgoing Tucson and a notch below Compass.
Any guidance here will be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
At low speeds, the suspension is very compliant and works silently. Small bumps are dismissed with ease and you don’t even feel them. Even the expansion joints on the city flyovers don't register themselves inside the cabin. It takes larger bumps well; you may feel them, but you won't hear the suspension giving out a loud noise. Over bad roads, the suspension does feel a bit busy though. There is always some body movement.

Handling & Dynamics

The handling of the Tucson is similar to recent Hyundais. It's neutral and predictable. The straight-line stability is good and while cruising on the highways, the car is quite composed. It's not very bouncy at high speeds and passengers will be comfortable in the front as well as rear. However, at high speeds, the suspension doesn't feel flat like the Jeep Compass. Still, overall, the Tucson is a capable long-distance cruiser.

Last edited by Anduril : 12th August 2022 at 20:51. Reason: typo
Old 12th August 2022, 21:53   #52
BHPian

Hyundai needs to justify the premium price for Tucson. At this point it misses out quite a few. If Hyundai wants the tucson to attract the prospective Kodiaq/tucson buyers, it surely needs the following in my point of view.
1. 7 or 9 airbags.
2. More premium music system.(Even 20Lakh Creta gets the same system at least on paper)
3. 3 zone climate control.
4. Seat memory for the passenger seat.
5. Paddle shifters.
6. A turbo petrol with AWD.
Kodiaq/tiguan will almost always be better to drive. And also it seems that quality of materials used is also better in the VW twins.
Old 12th August 2022, 22:41   #53
BHPian

Had made a pre booking a month back.
Car looked great in person. Rear seats definitely very spacious and car felt roomy. But like typical Hyundai window line for rear seats is high. Quality of interior top-notch, nothing to complaint.
Already saying delivery next month end even though booked pre launch.

Will test drive and give my final opinion
samitjain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 22:50   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
I had made a Pre-booking of Hyundai Tucson. Yet to see it in person. Just like everyone has expressed, the pricing is 3-4 lakhs higher than expected. One thing I can confidently say is that, CKD cars are very well packaged.

There is no mention of Fuel Efficiency Figures anywhere ! Is there any info on that.

Question to all prospective Tucson Buyer's -

Has the pricing made you look at other alternatives at a slight compromise in some aspects.

I am in dilemma because, i have considered all SUVs under 30 lakhs. Take Tata Harrier for example, i like the way it looks, drives, rides but despite the updates, quality is still not upto the mark and the Touchscreen HU sucks. It's not worth it. Misses some features competition has.

Next, Mahindra XUV7OO, everything is good in this car except few things like Rear Seat which isn't that spacious as Safari. More than that, the high waiting and niggles associated with Mahindra has made me rethink of one. Although I am not particular about color, but getting one quickly isn't going to be easy.

Jeep Compass is a good package, but is expensive and not as big as these. Also, it's already a 5 year old product.

That's where the Hyundai Tucson made sense to wait, but now it's finally here, and Hyundai screwed up the pricing just like their recent launches. Apart from pricing and some missing features present in lower models of Hyundai, i like this new Tucson as a package.

That's something i haven't been able to get through.
Pricely same dilemma as yours and exactly same review of the other 3. Had high hopes for tucson, still not ruling it out before I test drive it. Did you test drive it yet? Any reviews?
Old 12th August 2022, 23:04   #55
BHPian

I test drove the diesel today. Frankly it drove exactly like the previous Tucson - the kick comes in late but once it does, there's no looking back. Extremely confused between the petrol vs diesel. My running is low and warrants a petrol but the diesel does look enticing!
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:01   #56
BHPian

Am in the same boat as a lot of folks here. I am in the market for an AWD SUV. I had pre-booked the Signature AWD Diesel the first day the booking was opened and also have an XUV700 booked with a delivery date in 2023. Coming from an existing Mahindra (XUV 500 AWD) I was really keen on exploring the Tucson this time. What has got me confused now is the pricing. The on-road difference in prices between the 2 cars would be about 10 Lacs. Not sure if that huge a gap is justified. Both cars have very similar features with Tucson having the upper hand in fit and finish and the XUV being more spacious. I am now wondering if I should throw in the Meridian 4x4 into the mix. Is anybody else facing a similar dilemma? Any advise from more seasoned folks that can help me make up my mind is most welcome.
Mick_wanderer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:54   #57
BHPian

I don't understand the complaints about the Tucson or its pricing. Its main competitors offer far less for the price. The Jeep Compass is much smaller and is also a Jeep, which means it cannot offer the same fill it and forget it peace of mind as a Hyundai. The Tiguan is also far smaller. When people spend this much money on a big car, they want to haul people and stuff, which the smaller SUVs do not really encourage. This is also less boring and actually kind of cool to look at.
karanddd is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 05:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

The waiting period is a joke. This is a car that Hyundai dealers did not even bother to keep a demo piece for, just 2 years ago, when it had most of the existing features and specs, minus ADAS. I doubt if the ₹ appetite of the people has grown so much post pandemic that they are willing to put this kind of money in the car.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 05:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post
Thanks for the great review. The first question in my mind was if I can get an X1 by spending just a few lacs more, would I buy this? Its a great car but I think it is overpriced by 5 lacs atleast to make a mark.
Yes, agree it could have been priced better, but that rule applies to everything in general.

However, this Tucson is in a different segment and competes with the BMW X3 in size and that Diesel Automatic X-Drive is a good 40 lakhs more than this. I don't think the X3 costs double of Tucson in most international markets.

Relatively speaking I think its an okay price for what it offers and the market it competes in.

Comparison with luxury compact SUVs -

https://www.carwale.com/compare-cars...0209&source=17

Comparison with mainstream compact SUVs -

https://www.carwale.com/compare-cars...9565&source=17
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-untitled.png  

Last edited by inwester : 13th August 2022 at 05:43.
inwester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 08:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_wanderer View Post
Am in the same boat as a lot of folks here. I am in the market for an AWD SUV. I had pre-booked the Signature AWD Diesel the first day the booking was opened and also have an XUV700 booked with a delivery date in 2023. Coming from an existing Mahindra (XUV 500 AWD) I was really keen on exploring the Tucson this time. What has got me confused now is the pricing. The on-road difference in prices between the 2 cars would be about 10 Lacs. Not sure if that huge a gap is justified. Both cars have very similar features with Tucson having the upper hand in fit and finish and the XUV being more spacious. I am now wondering if I should throw in the Meridian 4x4 into the mix. Is anybody else facing a similar dilemma? Any advise from more seasoned folks that can help me make up my mind is most welcome.
Exactly in the same situation. Would love to hear from other folks on their opinion around this.
I have a XUV700 possibly ready for delivery in a month. I had got the booking done on Day 1 and the showroom told me that I will get price protection for my top of the line 7 sweater luxury edition of the XUV 700.
I had also booked a Signature Petrol Tucson around a couple of months back. Although I am not surprised by the Tucson pricing, but after I looked the the Tucson, I went and checked the XUV700 again. At a first glance I was thinking about whether the price diff of nearly 10 lac is worth it or not. Also I was really not happy when the Hyundai showroom told me that the official memo talks about a 8 month waiting period for the car. I guess the waiting would be for subsequent bookings, and the deliveries for pre bookings would be sooner.

Tucson looks great, but is it 10 lac worth more great?

Also would there be any experiences folks on this forum could share about the drivability of the petrol NA on Tucson. I am not looking for a super zippy response from such a large car, but for my occasional highway drive, I don’t want to be underwhelmed while overtaking.

Thanks
amitdan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks