Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2022, 23:16   #211
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

I had a quick look at the Tucson in the Kusalva Hyundai, Vijayawada. The interiors do not have the wow factor you expect from a 40 lakh car. May be my Octavia has spoilt me for choice. I might be biased, but the material on dashboard top did not feel as premium as in my 2016 Octavia.
But, it looks quite handsome in person. All the cuts and creases give it a very modern and futuristic look. The car is big and looks imposing. The headlights would have looked better if they were projectors.
It is also quite spacious and comfortable on inside. The rear seat recline adjustment makes it super comfortable.
I could not drive it as the test drive vehicle is expected only next week.
I am attaching a few pics taken from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_20220821_162550__01.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_20220821_163528.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_20220821_164315.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_20220821_164302.jpg  

axe_deo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 23:46   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
I might be biased, but the material on dashboard top did not feel as premium as in my 2016 Octavia.
Precisely what I felt too. The Octavia soft touch materials felt much better quality. And to top it, my 2016 Octavia interiors aged so well that sitting in Tucson did not make me feel special, rather felt like downgrade.
But Tucson definitely had more space and airy feel inside. And really liked the recline seats too.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 08:04   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
Got a test drive done of the Petrol Signature at Kun Hyundai in Hyd today.
I have pre booked a petrol signature. Bangalore has no petrol test drive vehicles yet. I would like to know how was the experience driving the petrol. Did the performace feel adequate for the car. I don't want to pur down 37 Lakhs and feel dejected, i will own this car for a decade atleast. So right now confused between petrol and diesel versions.

For clarity, i did test drive the diesel with htrac here in Bangalore, the engine was a delight to drive, even in choking traffic. The takeoff from the healthy 420nm torque is just a joy when you get empty stretch.
sandeepmukunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:52   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmukunda View Post
I have pre booked a petrol signature. Bangalore has no petrol test drive vehicles yet. I would like to know how was the experience driving the petrol. Did the performace feel adequate for the car. I don't want to pur down 37 Lakhs and feel dejected, i will own this car for a decade atleast. So right now confused between petrol and diesel versions.

For clarity, i did test drive the diesel with htrac here in Bangalore, the engine was a delight to drive, even in choking traffic. The takeoff from the healthy 420nm torque is just a joy when you get empty stretch.
Personally, I'd recommend you to test drive Petrol. Try to get a decent trial. Take it to a highway, push to see its performance. And then, if possible, come back and try Diesel again. If performance is what you are looking for in this car than I'd always say go for Diesel.
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:17   #215
BHPian

Are the new Hyundai Tucson engines bs6 phase 2 compliant? Or is there a chance of getting updated engine options in April 2023?
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:34   #216
pms
BHPian

Got a chance to test drive the Diesel Signature AWD version today morning, Starry Night shade. Drove through chock-a-block BLR traffic on ORR for around 10Kms and first time I felt good. Crazy traffic meant I was able to get a good feel of the vehicle as it took almost 40 mins to complete the whole TD. Some impressions from my end and some comparisons with my Honda City.

- Before the TD I was little worried about the size of the vehicle and managing it in the peak hour traffic. Took my own sweet time to find a comfortable driving position and post that it was a breeze. No one is going to complain on finding a right driving position here.

- Once behind the steering wheel, the car never gave me a feel of the size. I was very much at ease driving the entire duration. It was as similar to driving my Honda City.

- Very nimble and responsive to drive. Plethora of warnings across driver console, central console and ORVMs keeps you alert and drive safe. Was really impressed with this feature of 360 camera activating automatically when nearby traffic density got high, and you are driving under 20Kms/H. It goes off when your speed increases or traffic density reduces.

- NVH levels are amazing for a diesel engine. Never felt any lag and few quick overtakes were dealt with ease in the crazy traffic. Same stretch with Compass Diesel, I wasnt able to do that due to the prominent lag. No such issues here with Tucson! Throughout the drive used the ‘Normal’ mode and I never felt any issue with power, was more than enough. Didn’t get a chance to experience ‘Sport’ mode.

- Felt the suspension to be slightly stiffer than the earlier generation. Certain road undulations were felt inside the cabin but overall, it was very smooth. Felt at higher speeds it will be much better.

- Steering felt a tad smaller than my City, but I was very comfortable which also added to the feel that you are not driving a big SUV. Really impressed with the Auto Hold feature as well and it worked like a charm in the stop go traffic.

- AC felt effective and at a fan speed of 2, kept us cool inside. I tried diffuse functionality and was able to experience the air flow from the distributed vents, good feature indeed.

- Always had this concern with Honda City that the central arm rest was far from the gear stick and not wide enough or adjustable. No such concerns here, armrest is wide and long enough even though fixed. Very comfortable for me. Your co-passenger can also use it without jostling.

- Horn was meek when compared to the City. Plus, I felt one has to stretch a bit to press the horn pad.

- Fit and finish of all buttons are top notch, felt built to last. All controls are well organized and within the reach. Absence of rotary controls for fan speed, temperature, volume is a bummer though.

- For one, am happy with the beige interiors as it gives a lighter, roomy, and pleasant feel. Panoramic sunroof adds to this feel. But am not so impressed with the so-called soft touch dashboard. It could have been much better for the price range. Here I felt the Compass fared better.

- Felt the sound system to be satisfactory and not out of the world when compared to my 2012 Honda City. Decent enough for me as my expectation was it shouldn’t be lower than my current vehicle.

- I felt the doors to be very heavy vis-à-vis my Honda City or the earlier gen Tucson. Felt it like Compass if that is considered as an aspect of build quality.

- Lastly the space, which is abundant here be it be in the front seats, rear seats or boot. Rear seat recline has a very good range and the center armrest is also at a nice position when opened. Missing blower controls for rear vents and absence of sunblind is bummer, though I would say its not a deal-breaker.

I liked the Starry blue color which looks like black in certain lighting conditions. Car looks premium viewed from outside, but from the inside I felt it a tad below expectation. But the space it offers, fit & finish, plethora of features, ADAS and Hyundai service & reliability should give any prospective buyer a good ownership experience. SA informed me about a waiting period of 6 to 8 months now. I will be going ahead with the Signature DSL 2WD variant.
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-no-post-1.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-1.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-2.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-3.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-4.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-5.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-6.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-7.jpg

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-post-8.jpg
pms is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 19:24   #217
BHPian

I went to check the petrol tucson. The person handling tucson was not around. Someone else attended to me. To my surprise, he was not keen on tucson. Instead, he was pushing alcazar. His reasoning, engine is the same, I will get 3 extra seats, faster delivery, better resale. He went on to say, I could buy an i10 nios with the money saved and even after buying 2 cars there would be a little more money left. Not sure how to read this.
adithya.kp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 19:31   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I went to check the petrol tucson. The person handling tucson was not around. Someone else attended to me. To my surprise, he was not keen on tucson. Instead, he was pushing alcazar. His reasoning, engine is the same, I will get 3 extra seats, faster delivery, better resale. He went on to say, I could buy an i10 nios with the money saved and even after buying 2 cars there would be a little more money left. Not sure how to read this.
If this guy is a sales advisor not allowed to sell Tuscon, but allowed to handle other models, I would read it as: he will meet his target and incentive for selling Alcazar, so trying to peddle one.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 22nd August 2022 at 19:34.
ajayc123 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 19:57   #219
BHPian

I have a few questions that someone could answer:
  • Has anyone seen the red colour in person? Can you post pictures or what is your feedback? For those who booked the red colour why did you choose it?
  • Has anyone experienced/ checked out the AWD lock feature and what difference does it make?
  • Has anyone checked out the functioning of the sensor for automatic boot opening when someone stands with a key for a certain time?
Old 22nd August 2022, 20:04   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
I have a few questions that someone could answer:
  • Has anyone checked out the functioning of the sensor for automatic boot opening when someone stands with a key for a certain time?
I have the 2016 Tucson which has the same automatic boot opening feature, I can tell you that it works pretty well stand behind the boot with the key in your hand or pocket and the car will start beeping, after 3 beeps (around 3-5 seconds) the boot will open. If you move away from the car before the 3 beeps the boot doesn't open. It has been a useful feature at times when holding bags in both hands but it also leads to the boot opening sometimes when you don't want it to (like say if you start talking to someone while standing behind the car with the key in your pocket).
koolkunz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 20:06   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to check the petrol tucson..I could buy an i10 nios with the money saved and even after buying 2 cars there would be a little more money left. Not sure how to read this.
Pretty hilarious justification

On a more serious note, the NA petrol in the Tuscon with the measly 192 Nm@ 4000 rpm is grossly low at this price point.
Compare it with Mahindra's 2.0L turbo petrol with 380Nm @1750rpm at half the price point, thats serious torque.

Only the Tuscon diesel at 418Nm@2000rpm makes better sense at this price point.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:46   #222
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkunz View Post
It has been a useful feature at times when holding bags in both hands but it also leads to the boot opening sometimes when you don't want it to (like say if you start talking to someone while standing behind the car with the key in your pocket).
Is there a way to disable this feature to prevent accidental opening of the boot? Not sure if its there in the latest model.
Old 22nd August 2022, 22:37   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Is there a way to disable this feature to prevent accidental opening of the boot? Not sure if its there in the latest model.
The feature never bothered me enough to look into this, so can't say. There may be a setting for this but I have not checked it.
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:21   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Was it blue Hyundai? I had similar experience there. Went with my friend and we spent at lest 10 minutes playing with the Tucson on display. Nobody bothered to ask what we were interested in. When we asked test drive, they simply said we are not giving any test drives.
KrishKallapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 00:01   #225
BHPian

Quote:
I could buy an i10 nios with the money saved and even after buying 2 cars there would be a little more money left. Not sure how to read this.
That makes no sense! Why stop at i10, get a used Tata Nano The sales team at Hyderabad, Gachibowli is awesome. I have been to their showroom thrice in the last week. Each time people are happy to receive you, welcome you and talk to you. Since the car is new, not everyone on the shop floor knows about Tucson, so they may call another sales person who is aware of the features of the new car.

I test drove the diesel 4WD Tucson in Hyderabad. It is a pleasure to drive it. The engine is super refined. With the AC and music playing you wont realize it is a diesel. When i floored the pedal, it was quick to move forward - you could hear the engine well enough but the sound wasn't unpleasant. I did feel some body roll but then I was going fast. I need a longer test ride to recheck this aspect and this time without flooring the pedals!

I had done the same with the XUV 700 diesel and the sound of its engine felt rough in comparison to the Tucson. Further, on the Mahindra I could feel some vibration on the steering wheel, where as there wasn't any vibration on the Tucson at all. NVH is very well controlled. Also, on the Mahindra, I got some sounds from the suspension each time the car went into a pothole. Tucson's suspension as expected was quiet.

Now waiting for the Tucson to get delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
I have not tried this myself yet, but I am quoting two sources here. First, the brochure states that the Signature variant has a "Smart Power Tailgate". Second, the owners manual is already on the Hyundai India website. On page 5-48 it states that the smart tailgate can be opened automatically if it is enabled in settings. So i guess there is a way to enable and disable it.

The Tucson owners manual is now available on the Hyundai website here: https://www.hyundai.com/content/dam/...ual/Tucson.pdf
We should be able to scan through it and get answers to some questions on features.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd August 2022 at 00:32. Reason: back to back.
shailendrakr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks