Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 20:45   #226
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Will this be the biggest 3 cylinder engine in the PV being 1.5L ? So far I have mostly noticed 1L 3 cylinder engines in other vw2.0 cars?

With a bigger 3 cylinder engine, and running on the Atkinson cycle should mean high RPM even at idling. Just wondering if somebody can call out the RPMs at which the engine is expected to run, and the NHV assessment ?
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:52   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
Here is the on road price at Bengaluru, shared by my SA
The tax seems to be for lifetime. With BH registration there can be an immediate relief of 1.5 lakhs.
Old 9th September 2022, 21:47   #228
BHPian

I think Toyota Hyryder is priced fair, all said and done, compared to the market. Not too high, not too low. Its good for the market to have a healthy competition, which probably has been lacking up until now, since the Hyundai twins has dominated this segment forever.

The one to buy will be the Hybrid version and I personally will skip the Petrol one.

The only huge issue I have is with the marketing of what is essentially a petrol engine as neo drive or low hybrid or some nonsense like that. Gullible customers will fall for it and I'm pretty sure given Indian dealers shady practices they will milk it.

From Toyota's official lingo -
In essence a mild hybrid is simply a conventional petrol or diesel engine with a low voltage (48V) battery and an electric motor which is typically used to power electric components such as air conditioning and the radio. At low engine speeds, they can supplement the engine with a small electric boost during acceleration, but unlike full hybrids, the electric motor cannot power the car on its own, and they cannot drive in zero-emissions mode.
inwester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 22:07   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
Since the top-end Neodrive is 17.09 lakh for the Hyryder, and the same for edrive retails at 1.9 lakh more expensive, it is safe to guess the G AT 2WD Neodrive retail at 15.49 lakh and the S AT 2WD Neodrive at 13.09 lakh. Taking the brezza's price difference between the LXI and VXI AT into consideration, the base Hyryder should start at around 9.99 lakh. So this could be the variant price breakdown:
Neodrive:
1. E:- 9.99 lakh
2. S MT:- 11.49 lakh
3. G MT:- 12.99 lakh
4. S AT:- 13.09 lakh
5. G AT:- 14.49 lakh
6. V MT:- 15.49 lakh
7. V AWD:- 16.29 lakh
8. V AT:- 17.09 lakh
E-Drive:
1. S:- 15.11 lakh
2. G:- 17.49 lakh
3. V:- 18.99 lakh

Based on this, I can approximate the Vitara's price (using Baleno-Glanza Price Difference)
Smart Hybrid:
1. Sigma:- 9.95 lakh
2. Delta MT:- 11.39 lakh
3. Zeta MT:- 12.85 lakh
4. Delta AT:- 12.99 lakh
5. Zeta AT:- 14.35 lakh
6. Alpha MT:- 15.25 lakh
7. Alpha AWD:- 16.05 lakh
8. Alpha AT:- 16.85 lakh
Intelligent Hybrid:
1. Delta+:- N/A
2. Zeta+:-17.29 lakh
3. Alpha+:-18.69 lakh
Zeta AT vs G AT. The price difference could be larger, as Zeta AT doesn't offer the sunroof. The price could go below 14L... Just contributing to the speculation
Dinup P Pillai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 22:23   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinup P Pillai View Post
Zeta AT vs G AT. The price difference could be larger, as Zeta AT doesn't offer the sunroof. The price could go below 14L... Just contributing to the speculation
It might aim for the 13.99 lakh tag at most if that's the case then. But in terms of overall built and premium experience, I yet feel the S-Cross made more sense than the Grand Vitara. Sadly we Indians do not like crossover designs.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 23:10   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
It might aim for the 13.99 lakh tag at most if that's the case then. But in terms of overall built and premium experience, I yet feel the S-Cross made more sense than the Grand Vitara. Sadly we Indians do not like crossover designs.
I was/am expecting a tag south of 13.25 for the Zeta AT. Anything more than that will have to think of alternatives

Keeping fingers crossed.
SedateGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 23:36   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Poor Highway performance of the Strong hybrid is a big downer. I can't be bothered to carefully calculate and plan a overtake especially on our undivided highways with the proper Hybrid. Whereas previously on my Ecosport AT, a few taps on the Paddle shifters and off I go. On my Thar Diesel AT, hard on the accelerator pedal and it just completes the overtake.
Not being able to do quick and clean overtakes on our undivided highways is a real safety concern more so in a car that costs 23L on road.
shyampsunder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 23:37   #233
BHPian

I have booked strong hybrid V variant of Hyryder. Unless government provides some GST relaxation, OTR will be 23L.

Similar speced / powered Creta SX(O) IVT is priced 20L OTR. Creta additionally gets Electronic parking brake with auto hold. NVH levels are low . Four pot Engine feels refined. But fuel efficiency is half of that of Hyryder.

On other hand, Hyryder may have higher NVH , due to its 3 pot engine. It feels little under powered. Further, Hyryder (with 3L OTR extra) may take 5 years to break even, with my running.

I am thoroughly confused, whether to keep Hyryder booking or go for Creta IVT.
baarish84 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 00:48   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
I have booked strong hybrid V variant of Hyryder. Unless government provides some GST relaxation, OTR will be 23L.

Similar speced / powered Creta SX(O) IVT is priced 20L OTR. Creta additionally gets Electronic parking brake with auto hold. NVH levels are low . Four pot Engine feels refined. But fuel efficiency is half of that of Hyryder.

On other hand, Hyryder may have higher NVH , due to its 3 pot engine. It feels little under powered. Further, Hyryder (with 3L OTR extra) may take 5 years to break even, with my running.

You are comparing Toyota's strong hybrid variant vs hyundai's NA engine variant. Actual comparison should be between both NA engine variants. If we are comparing both manufacture's top end NA automatic variants, hyryder undercuts creta by 20k and also torque converters are better than cvt
Kpzonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 06:20   #235
BHPian

All said and done, this seems to be an ok pricing for the Hyryder. We shouldn't forget that Toyota used to price an 85 ps Toyota Corolla Altis at around the 20 lakh price mark a few years ago. Compared to that, I'm sure Toyota themselves should be patting on the back for releasing the Hyryder at this price. And the car itself isn't short on features either. I was closely following this car until the drive reports of the hybrid came in exposing it's lethargic nature and poor NVH. Don't think this one fits my needs!
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 07:02   #236
BHPian

Toyota is tactically pricing and positioning strong hybrids in a way that it cannot be compared to weak hybrids with equivalent engines. I don't know whether to call this smart tactics or being deceptive?

Nevertheless, I have done some maths to assess the value proposition.

For example, for the HyRyder, it did not choose to have a 3 cylinder weak hybrid variant. Let's us say they had one, could they have positioned a 3 cylinder top variant AT at 17L, like they have positioned the 4 cylinder AT top variant at 17L. My answer is No.

Hypothetically, let's say if they had a top variant 3 cylinder weak hybrid AT, and that cannot sell at 17L, then the possible pricing which could have got traction at maybe 15L or 16L.

This would translate to a premium of 3L to 4L for the equivalent strong hybrid variant. At such a pricing, the cost benefit analysis does not dictate even the recovery of premium paid for strong hybrid due to higher fuel efficiency, what to say about the compromises like higher NHV, and lower torque figures.

ROI calculations between a 4 cylinder weak hybrid and 3 cylinder strong hybrid is like comparing apples to oranges.

Now lets look at another perspective. I had recently noticed that crude price has started to drop and is currently around $85. With the buzz around recession, and massive electrification of passenger vehicles, the crude demand will go south gradually, and prices may stay muted at best. So our fears about higher fuel prices in the next few years may be an illusion, and this provides a further dent into the cost benefit calculations for a Hybrid.

Probably, this is the last ditch effort by Toyota to recover its investments in Hybrid technologies before they become irrelevant with the larger scale adoption of EVs.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 10th September 2022 at 07:17.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 10:53   #237
BHPian

Quote:

I suggest go for the Creta. You get better boot space and save 3 L. Hyryder is also strictly 4 seater. 3 L + interest over 5 years will cover for the fuel efficiency
Palio_2005 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:22   #238
BHPian

Looking to add my 2 cents and clear a doubt too.

I had booked the G variant in Strong Hybrid, after looking at the prices I am actually starting to think if G variant is VFM or not.

G is priced at 17.49L while S is priced at 15.11L.
G gains Auto IRVM, Ambient Lighting, 9 inch screen instead of 7, 2 tweeters, Information Display, Soft Touch IP with premium stitch, Gear Shift Garnish, Interior Silver Garnish, Trunk lamp, glove box light, front footwell light, courtesy lamp, Panoramic Sunroof, HUD, Wireless Charger, Toyota i-Connect, Machined Alloy Wheel, LED headlight, Auto Headlight, Roof rails, chrome garnish and Front and side curtain airbag.

All this comes at a cost of 2.38L. Most of these are interior bits which are for aesthetic purpose, barring Airbags, alloys and sunroof.
After looking at the price differential, V is out of the question, choice boils down to G and S variant. Open to suggestions.
Aniket03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:27   #239
BHPian

Quote:

But fuel efficiency is half of that of Hyryder.

Further, Hyryder (with 3L OTR extra) may take 5 years to break even, with my running.

You have to be a bit more fine grained about breakeven calculations.

While fuel efficiency of Creta is half of HyRyder in congested city driving, but at highway cruising in top gear, the fuel efficiency can be expected to be similar for both cars.

I would do the breakeven calculations on the basis of city driving rather than total. Think about your city vs highway mix, and do another version of breakeven calculations. If you are keeping for longer than 8 years, factor in possible replacement costs for hybrid battery as well.
ajayc123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 12:09   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket03 View Post
All this comes at a cost of 2.38L. Most of these are interior bits which are for aesthetic purpose, barring Airbags, alloys and sunroof.
After looking at the price differential, V is out of the question, choice boils down to G and S variant. Open to suggestions.
Go with G, you get good gain over S and extra moolah you put ensured your car won't get outdated interns of features soon. You can add few bits after market at fraction of the price, but factory fit cannot be matched. I would say continue with G booking.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed