Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 13:29   #16
BHPian

re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Bootspace is low (no arguments there) but the tyre is not inside the boot. From the reviews I can see the boot space is low but it is not as bad as the figures of 250L would make you believe.

I have seen higher boot space figures doesn't always equate to good available usable bootspace (especially when the spare tyre takes a good chunk of that space)

What will matter is that when we remove the parcel tray, is the boot space passable for a weekend getaway.

Last edited by smilingakash : 28th August 2022 at 13:30.
smilingakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great review. Except for the boot space, everything looks perfect to me. And it is sad, that Toyota, who is the master of hybrid packaging decided to do a design with compromised boot space. May be because they were working with a strict cost-benefit equation. Hoping for a comparable OTR with Seltos and Creta top-end diesel. But I am afraid, Toyota won't think like that and place it higher than 25L OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
2. Worst performance specs. The hybrid, with its combined petrol + electric power, still has specs comparable to only the base variant engine from rivals (Toyota 1.5 Hybrid combined - 115ps, 141Nm, Creta/Seltos 1.5 MPi - 115ps, 144Nm, Taigun/Kushaq 1.0 TSi - 115ps, 178Nm). This hybrid should not be compared to the 1.4 TGDi/1.5 TSi from rivals.
But, is it fair to compare a hybrid and turbo petrol purely on specs ? Most of the hybrid's torque will be available from zero RPM because of the motor. A turbo petrol even with that spec will deliver only in the higher RPM range while burning all that fuel. I feel the performance may be better than the turbo petrol till one stays with in sane speeds.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 28th August 2022 at 13:36.
padmrajravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 13:52   #18
BHPian

Thank you for the great review guys. The attention to detail and mentioning even the smallest thing good or bad is what T-BHP reviews have come to be known about.

About the car; the boot space is a big disappointment in the strong hybrid along with the NVH levels. However both will only be an issue if one has more highway driving than city. For someone like me who has 80-90% city driving in a year, it could just end up being the perfect car. The fuel efficiency numbers are really good in all the video reviews and the T-BHP review.

Finally the needle has moved in terms of the official reviews being out, Toyota please don't kill the momentum again and announce the prices like yesterday. Hoping the top end V of the strong hybrid is around 20-21 lacs on road in Mumbai.

Last edited by rahil_29 : 28th August 2022 at 13:53.
rahil_29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 13:52   #19
BHPian

Excellent review and very insightful for potential buyers!

Props to both Toyota and MSIL for starting a new trend in an otherwise generic segment where most of the car manufacturers follow the same basic recipe.

I am very interested to see how the pricing of the car plays out since I am looking to add another car in the garage which will be used for city runs but should be an all-rounder. Currently I have my eyes set on the City Hybrid but wouldn't mind picking up a Hyryder if the price is in a similar ballpark.

The Hyryder would have been my immediate choice if it weren't for the Marutiness in the vehicle (not necessarily a bad thing in the long run).
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 13:56   #20
SDx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Spare wheel is mounted underneath the body. It is full size steel rim:
Thank you for the great review, as always!
I was curious to know what kind of mechanism Toyota has given to access the spare wheel?
SDx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 13:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

For me the takeaway from the review of the Urban Cruiser Hyryder is;

1.) It’s a good 2nd car at best, can’t be part of a only one car garage.

2.) The Creta is loved for it’s ease of driving in the city, this hybrid motor of the Hyryder can make it even more effortless and efficient for city-usage.

3.) Handling is sure-footed, so no boat-like feel at 80-100 kmph.

4.) Variants and feature distribution is very very awkward! Eg: AWD MT doesn’t get ventilated seats, and 6spd AT Neo-drive mild Hybrid V variant doesn’t get many features present in the eCVT Strong Hybrid V variant!

5.) Sometimes I don’t understand how can people compare a Hybrid with turbo-petrols. Yes, pricing maybe similar but use case will be completely different. Otherwise, why would people be buying the more expensive Camry Hybrid over the equally good if not better Škoda Superb? Both Superb and Camry have their own strong points which make them sell, same will the case with the Hyryder vs turbo-petrol competitors.

6.) First time in my life, I have seen people in various comment sections of social media, praising a Toyota car for various different aspects, be it looks, efficiency or features! So Toyota India better not goof-up the pricing…

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th August 2022 at 14:25.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:01   #22
BHPian

That was an electrifying review by two electric Team BHPians:

Vidyut (meaning Electricity)
Eddy (remember Eddy currents)

of a hybrid car with two electric motors: motor and generator.

Now, waiting for Toyota to deliver the electric shock (pricing).

Last edited by ajayc123 : 28th August 2022 at 14:06.
ajayc123 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:01   #23
BHPian

This may end up being in a bit of no man's land according to me.

1. The engine is no great shakes.

2. Neither is the fuel efficiency that high in real world (went through some of the test drive videos on youtube)

3. Nor is the pricing going to be exactly "mass-market"- so neither Honda or Toyota gets the credit to bring hybrid to the masses. If we say that 20 lakhs is mass market category in India, not sure masses will agree to that

4. Am OK with the interiors, but the boot space is also a major downer.
achyutaghosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Also good that you have explicitly called out the battery capacity at 0.76 KWHr. Still curious about the 25 km pure EV range claim. Were you able to make any assessment on that?
Saw one of the Gaadwadi videos on youtube, pure EV range comes to be about 1.5km, at max. 2km.
Marx1997 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:09   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
But, is it fair to compare a hybrid and turbo petrol purely on specs ? Most of the hybrid's torque will be available from zero RPM because of the motor.
And most of a turbo's torque comes in a nicely enjoyable midrange push. But you're right - may be different perspectives.

That said - the outright performance is surely weak. ACI timing is slower than the Seltos 1.5 NA.

Quote:
With your foot pinned to the floor, producing 116hp combined in hybrid mode, the Hyryder will sprint from 0-100kph in just 12.10 seconds in its sportiest ‘Power’ mode, which is at par with the Kia Seltos 115hp, 1.5-litre petrol IVT’s 12.06 seconds.
Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:22   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the review!! I was waiting for this hybrid variant review. But disappointed with the engine performance, expected much quicker engine with the combined electric motor.
The car definitely looks nice, and surprisingly good handling is a big plus. this would be a complete package for sedate drivers.
Ranjith812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:25   #27
BHPian

Excellent review. Between this and Grand vitara one thing surprises me. Maruti is offering the dual tone interiors in the mild hybrid variants and black tone in the strong hybrid. Toyota has done the exact opposite.
Hope the pricing is saner and not shocker.
How did the sunroof linen feel like? From the photos it looks like a thin fabric. Will this lead to higher heat ingress in the cabin?
nomad47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Also good that you have explicitly called out the battery capacity at 0.76 KWHr. Still curious about the 25 km pure EV range claim. Were you able to make any assessment on that?
Most reviewers are saying EV mode range of 1-4 km, so the battery is indeed from Yaris cross 177V 4.3AH.

Sad that the media keep repeating the same, no one ever asked Toyota to clarify, had to question the media's integrity.
SKC-auto is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great review as always. Thank you

I feel its an ‘almost’ perfect car for mango people(mileage and safety conscious sedate drivers) in the strong hybrid guise. Why I say almost is the lack of AWD and the compromised bootspace(can live with this though). Am surprised to see AWD is available only in MT version. Hope in future facelifts they go the whole hog and provide Strong Hybrid + AT + AWD.

The key factor would be pricing as its competitors(Creta/Seltos) are very well established. But since Toyota and Maruti have a very strong fan following & trust factor in our market I feel they won’t have too much of a problem selling this. And being a strong hybrid I don’t think they will or need to undercut competition.

Being based on Brezza’s platform & having decent amount of safety features I hope it scores a 5* or at least a 4* with stable bodyshell. I know it won’t make a difference in our market but would surely help people like me who do follow GNCAP ratings while selecting a car. And yes, although I have no plans for upgrade but if I have to in this segment finally I have a car to look forward to.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th August 2022 at 14:43.
SoumenD is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is a fairly handsome looking car and just guessing what it would have done with a regular turbo petrol and diesel engines, automatic and manual gear boxes, would have posed a real threat to both the Creta and Seltos. Toyota has the engines and the transmission. If priced sensibly that is!
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed