Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:57   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Update on Hyryder Deliveries / Dispatches;

- Toyota & other manufacturers had geared up for 6 airbag rule & hence were concentrating on pushing/manufacturing the non 6 airbag "Toyota" cars before October, but now to their surprise this rule is postponed for a year.

- White cars (Hyryders) just went into production last week, which is a big shock as most of the cars booked are WHITE.

- Non availability of transporters is creating logistical delays as well.

- Dussehra deliveries hampered for most of us.

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd October 2022 at 12:58.
karan561 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:31   #377
BHPian

Any leads on display cars or test drives in Bangalore?
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:31   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

- Toyota & other manufacturers had geared up for 6 airbag rule & hence were concentrating on pushing/manufacturing the non 6 airbag "Toyota" cars before October, but now to their surprise this rule is postponed for a year.
Quite surprising !
They must have access to inside informations. If they were serious about 6 airbag rule getting implemented from 1st October' 22 there was no point in bringing non 6 airbag models in very first place for cars launched in last part of September.
Even if it was a mistake they can't manufacture more than 2-3 months stock of 2 airbag models going into December very soon. Also the high end models gives them more profit per car ! Mismanagement or something else ??
d-g-p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:32   #379

Test drives commenced today in Bangalore. Unfortunately I could not make it but my friends tried it out. One concern they noted was that it was not comfortable for three of them in the rear and this despite them being quite slim or atleast it did not feel airy. With 4 on board, drivability in city was good.
Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:37   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
- White cars (Hyryders) just went into production last week, which is a big shock as most of the cars booked are WHITE.
As you said, i am SHOCKED. we'd expect Toyota India to know that their cars are usually higher in demand in white than any other colour, Even i had booked the grey initially but later changed to white.
What do you think could be the cause for this?
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:06   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
Available in Ravindu for test drive
Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:37   #382
BHPian

Visited Ravindu Toyota as they had received a display car. It was Red Dual tone V Hybrid variant. My observations are as follows:

1.) Exterior looks were good. Looked pretty substantial and had a decent footprint. Fit and Finish also seemed to match segment standards. No uneven panel gaps and paint finish was good.

2.) The doors were pretty light as you would expect from a Maruti car. The dashboard design was good and visibility was very good. Seats were comfortable and it was easy to get into a comfortable driving position.

3.) Interior quality is one of the big let downs. The quality of materials used felt like they didn't belong on a car which costs nearly 24L OTR in Bangalore. The soft touch inserts on the dash felt particularly cheap and the plastics were also hard and scratchy. Lots of parts sharing from lower Maruti cars. Cars like the Creta, Seltos and Astor felt much more premium inside.

4.) Rear seat is the second weakness of this car. Legroom is decent but cabin width is very tight. 3 abreast in the back is manageable only for very short journeys. Headroom is also very limited. My head was constantly brushing against the roof (I'm 6 feet tall). I had to slide quite far down the seat compromising thigh support and legroom in order to stop my head hitting the roof. Good to see the inclusion of a headrest and 3 point belt for the middle passenger but it's a shame that the space is so tight.

5.) The boot as everyone already knows is pretty tight. Adjusting the floor does liberate some space. Should be manageable for a weekend trip. Longer trips will be a struggle.

6.) Talking about the features, the sunroof is pretty big and both panes open up which is a segment first. The sunroof film is pretty thin and even the showroom lights were piercing through. 360 degree camera was good but quality could've been better. Ventilated seats worked a treat and are a must have for Indian conditions according to me. Music system sounded good and seemed to be on par with competitors. Infotainment screen seemed responsive enough though still not quite as good as the Sync3 system in my current Ecosport. Wireless Apple Carplay worked well and connection was fast. Heads up Display was nice to have but it should have provided navigation directions too.

7.) Quoted waiting period of 3-4 months but top end variants should be available sooner. Mild Hybrid deliveries will take a while to commence. Seems like MS is focusing on the mild hybrid and Toyota on the strong hybrid. No TD available today as RTO formalities were still not completed. Should be available by Friday. Decent crowd had turned up to the showroom to look at the car. The most crowded I've seen a Toyota dealership in a while. Could not take any pictures as it was pretty crowded and there were people all around the car which was surprising on a Monday afternoon. Clearly shows that this car has generated a lot of interest.

All in all this car seems to be focused solely on fuel efficiency. This should make for a very good city runabout but the lack of space and grunt might limit its highway capabilities. Have a V hybrid booked but will make a decision post test drive.
rahulcmoulee is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:43   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
As you said, i am SHOCKED. we'd expect Toyota India to know that their cars are usually higher in demand in white than any other colour, Even i had booked the grey initially but later changed to white.
What do you think could be the cause for this?
I was also contemplating to change it from silver to white. However, for DT version, silver looked better (personal preference).

What my SA told me that white had maximum bookings (Safe color in most cars and even my own duster is white), and there will be a potential delay switching to white. He recommended that if you do not wish to wait a few weeks, then pick any color of your preference barring white or DT variant of white.
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:26   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post

Heads up Display was nice to have but it should have provided navigation directions too.
There have been Youtube videos suggesting the HUD on GV / Hyryder has navigation in-built. I am aware the Brezza does not have navigation and saw the presence of this (based on the YT reviews) as an improvement and step in the right direction. Can you confirm the HUD doesn’t in fact have this? Maybe a setting change?
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:54   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audik75 View Post
There have been Youtube videos suggesting the HUD on GV / Hyryder has navigation in-built. I am aware the Brezza does not have navigation and saw the presence of this (based on the YT reviews) as an improvement and step in the right direction. Can you confirm the HUD doesn’t in fact have this? Maybe a setting change?
As per what the Sales Rep told me there is no navigation info on the HUD. It is the same unit as the Brezza. Only additional info you get over the Brezza are battery charge indicator and the energy flow. I cycled through all the modes and navigation info wasn't present.
rahulcmoulee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:46   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
He recommended that if you do not wish to wait a few weeks, then pick any color of your preference barring white or DT variant of white.
I did wonder at first they would suggest this due to non-availability of the preferred colour.
Now that I think about it, it could be that they ran out of their White paint stock and it arrived last week only but to keep up with the demand they sprayed the rest of the colours anyway.
They're basically gonna force people who booked white initially to buy a random colour to clear their stock and boost the production of the white paint.
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:11   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
Visited Nandi Toyota in Whitefield today and it is available in the back behind the display. When asked why, they said the car isn't officially launched yet. That is supposedly happening this Friday at 10am. Test drives will then be available from Monday or Tuesday.

But I see others have already driven the vehicle. So I'm not sure what's going on with Toyota anymore
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:17   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
Available in Ravindu for test drive
Could you please confirm the location as Nandi Toyota in Whitefield told me test drives in Bangalore would happen only from Oct 10th or 11th.
Old 3rd October 2022, 23:00   #389
BHPian

Had a first look and a short test drive of the Hyryder at the showroom next door, earlier in the day. The place was buzzing with activity since the car was unveiled only today and test drives were being offered too.

What I liked:

1. Looks better, way better, in real than in pictures
2. Dual variants on display - Blue, Red and the Silver - look fabulous too
2. The design is elegant and sort of conservative
3. Clean and contemporary interiors - combination of dark tan, black and silver go well
4. Comfortable and relaxed driving position with multiple adjustment levels
5. Easy ingress and egress for the rear seats
5. Crossover-like appearance rather than an imposing SUVish stance (not necessarily a like or a dislike)

What I did not:

1. Boot space on the strong hybrid appear to take a max of 2 mid/large suitcases (see pics below)
2. Doors don't feel as heavy as they do in my S-Cross
3. Steering feels dated and boring. A flat bottom design could've made a difference

Observations from a short test drive:

1. Drivers seat offers a commanding view with a comfortable position
2. The car pulls away really effortlessly with response from ICE kicking in seamlessly and noiselessly
3. Acceleration is fast and smooth. I was able to get to 65 kmph real quick on a short open stretch

Have asked for a longer test drive to understand better how the hybrid drives. Will also be checking if I can load a couple of cabin trolleys and a mid sized check-in luggage - that's my minimum requirement for outstation trips.

A few pictures of the partially loaded boot I clicked:

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-hy5.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-hy4.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-hy1.jpg
pannags is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 07:02   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
Could you please confirm the location as Nandi Toyota in Whitefield told me test drives in Bangalore would happen only from Oct 10th or 11th.
Brother and friends who were there in RavinduToyota on Victoria Road, took it out for a short drive just before the unveiling yesterday morning.
Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed