Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2022, 23:01   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Biggest miss in this S variant is absence of the defogger and rear wiper. Is it possible to retrofit the defogger from aftermarket? I struggle a lot due to absence of the defogger+rear wiper during rainy and foggy seasons.
Have seen such retrofit on Creta's E variant, but it's certainly not that easy! One needs new set of wiring for the rear wiper motor, new washer mechanism, indicator stalk needed a swap too, as base version doesn't have the required action to activate the rear wipers seperately.
giri1.8 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 08:28   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Biggest miss in this S variant is absence of the defogger and rear wiper. Is it possible to retrofit the defogger from aftermarket? I struggle a lot due to absence of the defogger+rear wiper during rainy and foggy seasons.
I was also considering the S variant, since I don't want the massive heat emitting sunroof with a cloth-like cover only, which also impedes headroom . However, the most important missing feature is 6 airbags - a safety features even the Indian government thinks should be mandatory, and has already been mandatory for years in all developed and most developing countries. In the US, 6 airbags have been mandatory for more than a decade!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th October 2022 at 08:45.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 10:18   #543
BHPian

I have booked the G variant yesterday. 4 months waiting period informed. I too wanted to go for S variant but the lack of 6 airbags made me go for G variant. I plan to use a dark coloured V kool film on the sunroof of which hopefully shall solve some of the problem. Transparent sun film on the windshield will be put as well to reduce the glare. The car is well suited for me as I am a sedate driver and 50 pct highway and 50 pct city. My Yaris returns about 5 to 6 kpl in Mumbai city so hopefully this should be about 22 to 23 kpl. I have received an offer of 9.5 Lakhs as exchange for my Yaris. On road Pune is 20.54 lakhs which is a little steep but given the technology its worth it.

I have a Nexon EV for my city drives which is a fantastic car but long range drives need to be really planned and will take a couple of years to be comfortable.
Palio_2005 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 10:21   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have it as an accessory and if possible, better to get it done at Toyota itself so that warranty is intact.

Seems the wiring is same for all variants, so, my guess is that ones needs to procure the required parts and can just plug and play them, especially things like seat ventilation, 360 camera,wireless charging, auto dimming RVM and so on.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 11:21   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
They have it as an accessory and if possible, better to get it done at Toyota itself so that warranty is intact.
Wait, WHAT!!!???

You mean as Parts or as an accessory? Would be jolly good if other companies too offered the same. Then again. Factory finish is factory finish. Why can't they offer it as an option from the factory itself? Is the UV cut glass standard on the Hyrdyer? Otherwise that would have been a good accessory option.

What is it with Toyota giving accessories that they should have been offered from the factory itself? Like auto folding ORVMs, auto headlights, TPMS, 360° camera, wireless charger.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 11:36   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Transparent sun film on the windshield will be put as well to reduce the glare.
On 26th October I had a long test drive of strong hybrid variant of Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara. I noticed that the window glasses were darker than usual. Hence I assume the window glasses of Toyota Hyryder are also tinted considerably or UV ray protected. Please check the features list and the window glasses physically. You may not need the additional films at all.
Old 29th October 2022, 12:00   #547
BHPian

Quote:
The "S" variant of Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder (typing the entire name has become a daunting task) is the most suitable variant for me. The budget overshoot is contained within 2 lakhs and thankfully it allows a 6 feet tall person to sit in the 2nd row without banging his head against the sunroof edge. The S variant does not have the sunroof.

Rear Defogger is present in S variant. Wiper and washer are missing. I saw it in person yesterday.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 29th October 2022 at 12:12.
saurabh041086 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 13:55   #548
BHPian

Quote:
. Please check the features list and the window glasses physically. You may not need the additional films at all.
the front windscreen is not tinted and this is what I propose to film along with the sunroof.
Old 30th October 2022, 11:38   #549
BHPian

Yesterday I took a long test drive (~ 20KMs) of the Hyryder out of sheer boredom from waiting for the actual delivery. Or maybe this is my way of getting back to the dealers. If they cannot deliver on time I still get to drive the car..

Since it was a long test drive I noticed few more things which I wanted to check with others who have already driven this vehicle.

1. Rear seat space - I took my family ( father, mother, wife and daughter) with me for the test drive. SA from Toyota sat in the front passenger seat while I requested my family to sit in the back.
Now none of us are heavy built or above 5'10". They all were able to fit in the backseat. I get that since its family they have adjusted but still there were 3 adults and a kid. So my point was the backseat is not what people are saying in various forums or reviews. It is totally subjective to your family/friends built and height. If you are someone who is 6 feet + and have similar folks then I see the point otherwise it is good enough space.

2. Sunroof Sunblind - I was complaining about the sunroof blind throughout my discussions in this forum however during my drive yesterday afternoon 12:30PM (sunny) for almost an hour I didn't feel the heat as I thought it will. So my intial perception about as the heating due to thin blind might be wrong. However I still feel its very thin and might need replacing due to wear and tear in long run.

3. Suspension - Now this car was loaded / packed with 5 adults and one kid. On normal roads the ride was pleasant however there were considerable amount stiffness on potholes and bumper. Felt like the suspension bottomed out in one of the potholes. I drove the same way I drive my i10 and there is definitely less noise there.

4. Engine sound - NVH was higher than a 1.2l 4 pot engine however not something which bothered me. It was ok. However the sound insulation is not good or at par with Hyundai. I can hear the noise from the cars passing by more here.

5. Performance - Again this is subjective to what you usually drive. For me its 80bhp to 115bhp. So its good. But for someone who has driven better/bigger engine this will not be something desirable. I was able to drive easily in the city traffic and do overtake easily. I took it to 100 on an empty stretch as well and didn't see any issues.
OpenRoads is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 12:55   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Yesterday I took a long test drive (~ 20KMs) of the Hyryder out of sheer boredom from waiting for the actual delivery. Or maybe this is my way of getting back to the dealers. If they cannot deliver on time I still get to drive the car...
Good one. Guess I will also do the same thing.

And thanks for the actual usage feedback on the rear seats. How bad was the floor hump, though?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 17:11   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

My Toyota Hyryder (Hybrid): Delivery Experience !

My Toyota Hyryder Delivery Video;

^ Join me in this video to experience the Collection Day excitement of my Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder "V" Hybrid in Monotone Cafe White shade.

The Video captures, Collection Day Excitement;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot-20221030-4.28.15-pm.png

Quick Walkaround;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot-20221030-4.29.41-pm.png

Some Cinematic Scenes;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot-20221030-4.30.04-pm.png

& Early driving impressions;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot-20221030-4.30.53-pm.png

Buy Decision;

This car was booked on Day 1 when the booking started back in July. Since then i haven't checked one out in the showroom nor Test Driven one. In fact the first time I saw/experienced the Hyryder was on delivery day last week. Special thanks & credit goes to TEAM-BHP's Official Review which helped me go ahead with this choice without having the need to go check her out physically or requiring a Test Drive post booking.

Dealership Experience;

The Dealership selected was Rathod Toyota, Vapi. This is the same dealership where I picked up my last Toyota Fortuner from back in 2016. Rathod Toyota personnel and SA were in touch with me since booking & giving constant updates (whenever they had information) on the status of my booking as well as production updates. I thank them for their professionalism & overall approach right from my booking to delivery which happened during Diwali Holidays (26/10/22).

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_8365.jpg
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_8362.jpg

I picked the Extended warranty as well as Insurance from the dealership. Among the freebies I got a set of OE 3D mats & Mudflaps installed at the dealership.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot-20221030-11.35.36-am.png

^ The registration no. picked was 1490 on 2 fronts;

1) My Ford Figo (which this car replaces) also had the same no. i.e. 1490 hence there's a sort of a continuity.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-figo.jpeg

2) The 1.5L Toyota engine for the Hybrid models has an exact displacement of 1490 cc.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-photo20221021125802.jpg

Hence it all fell into place

Hybrid Driving Experience;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-3ed7a75873584da78da967a3972e479e.jpg

Having not test driven the Hyryder before I was really excited to drive back home. The car starts in EV mode and if a light throttle is maintained it continues to remain an EV. The transition is seamless when driving and is not felt at all, very impressive indeed. However when idling for long (With A/C on) the engine fires back on in a couple of minutes and that transition is felt. The Power delivery in combined form is enough for the city and also highways for cruising at good speeds. Refinement levels are good enough for a 3 cyl, the battery / motor whine is audible if you hear carefully in EV mode, the engine sound is also pretty much there in a good way when you're in a rush sort of helps because there's no tachometer. Fuel economy achieved after about 160 odd kms of driving on day 1 was 23.7 km/l.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_8421.jpg

Some may argue this can be achieved on a efficient Diesel or a Petrol N/A variant / version of the Hyryder/GV too with careful efficient driving, late braking techniques etc. however let me say that to achieve 23+ km/l i did not really make much of an effort to be efficient & thats where the Hybrid tech excels. The e-CVT is also very smooth and feels very soothing to drive. The relaxed manner of this engine - gearbox combo is definitely a USP for the car.

Handling / Ride Quality;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_8492.jpg

During the PDI the dealership was smart enough to reduce the tyre pressure to normal levels (@ 33psi v/s 40+ psi kept during transit / logistics). Ride quality felt good (better than the Seltos & Kushaq i own from the same segment) & build too when driving over bad roads / undulations felt robust. The Handling is a pleasant surprise as its fairly engaging and enjoyable. The Steering wheel in my opinion is a bit too thin for my hands but feels good to operate in all conditions.

Debadging;

The next day got the car debadged;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-b720e87a327d40afa75fe1043f14d680.jpg

^ Bye Bye Urban Cruiser;

Hello Hyryder;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-7c70f5023bf94685991438919bfa5abe.jpg

A Mod recommended for all future Hyryder owners

Miscellaneous Observations;

- ​HUD provides a lot of information. Have read a lot of negative impression about the HUD. Being using a HUD since 2012 in one of my BMW's I really dont mind having this tech now being available at this price point, good effort.
- I Picked the Monotone over the dual tone as it makes the Hyryder look taller and more SUV'ish at the same time highlights the fact that it has a Pano-Sunroof very well.
- Cafe White Paint shade is somewhere between the typical Toyota Super & Pearl White shades, I like it.
- TPMS​ is showing in KPa, still haven't been able to figure out how to switch to Psi.
- Infotainment & touch screen is very smooth & feels modern enough.
- Car Keys are really sleek, modern and good looking.
- Lock / Unlock beep sound is a bit early 2000'ish.
- A/C Controls are fun to toggle.
- Robust Build in most areas.
- Camera Quality is average.
- Powered Seats are missed.

Last edited by karan561 : 30th October 2022 at 17:35.
karan561 is offline   (107) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 18:08   #552
BHPian

Re: My Toyota Hyryder (Hybrid): Delivery Experience !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
This car was booked on Day 1 when the booking started back in July. Since then i haven't checked one out in the showroom nor Test Driven one. In fact the first time I saw/experienced the Hyryder was on delivery day last week. Special thanks & credit goes to TEAM-BHP's Official Review which helped me go ahead with this choice without having the need to go check her out physically or requiring a Test Drive post booking.
Many congratulations on your de-urbanised de-cruised Hyryder

I had to read the part where you said you never once test drove the car before you actually drove it home, thrice over! What a testimony for the official review.
pannags is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 18:47   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
How bad was the floor hump, though?
The floor hump is prominent but again not something which would change your buying decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A Mod recommended for all future Hyryder owners
Congrats! The car looks awesome. 160km on first day does compensate for the missed test drive.

Loved the idea of removing the confusion (urban cruiser). Do provide us more information on how you did it.

Also, just curious on the insurance cost. If possible let us know.
OpenRoads is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 21:50   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Many congratulations on your de-urbanised de-cruised Hyryder
Well said
Quote:
I had to read the part where you said you never once test drove the car before you actually drove it home, thrice over! What a testimony for the official review.
Thanks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Congrats! The car looks awesome. 160km on first day does compensate for the missed test drive.
Thanks ! Yes had a great drive on Day 1. Surely compensates the missed TD.
Quote:
Loved the idea of removing the confusion (urban cruiser). Do provide us more information on how you did it.
Got it professionally removed @ 3M Car Care;
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_8493.jpg
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_8438.jpg
Quote:
Also, just curious on the insurance cost. If possible let us know.
I had an opportunity to go for self Insurance but the difference wasn't much as I got a quote of aprox INR 51k but in that there was no RTI & another couple of coverages (IIRC Rat Bite coverage & 1 more thing I dont recollect now) were missing. The initial quote I received from the dealership was aprox INR 64k, but then they reworked the quote to INR 57k. The quote became less due to some discount provided by them & also because I told them to remove tyre cover, especially when its a 215/60 setup, which IMO was unnecessary. For the 1st year I always prefer getting the Insurance from the dealership & their tie up, which in this case was Toyota - IffcoTokio.

Last edited by karan561 : 30th October 2022 at 21:59.
karan561 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 22:06   #555
BHPian

Congrats man! I plan to totally debadge the car including the variant and hybrid logo at the rear. Like it looking plain. Keep posting updates. Do post some pictures with LED lights on. I want to see if they are sufficient as there are no fogs. What’s the wattage on the LED lights?

Last edited by Palio_2005 : 30th October 2022 at 22:12. Reason: Addition
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks