Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2022, 03:49   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audik75 View Post
Battery level stays primarily at 2 bars and rarely go higher in city driving conditions. On the highway, have seen this go higher. Had to watch a YouTube video to understand this factor doesn’t matter and one should only go with fuel efficiency. I will just leave it to my sheer ignorance of driving a Hybrid and not knowing how to measure efficiency.

Hope this helps!
Thats not normal. The system tries to keep the state of charge for the battery between 20-80% to preserve the battery in the long run. 2 Bars is low meaning the engine would need to turn on to charge the battery plus propel the car at the same time. It could only be the case when you are in crawling jam and all propulsion is by the motors but even then when it reaches the last 2 bars, the engine would turn on and charge the battery upto around 4 bars and then turn off again.
Old 25th November 2022, 07:58   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Thats not normal. The system tries to keep the state of charge for the battery between 20-80% to preserve the battery in the long run.
In agreement with you - we have a different display in the Hyryder for the battery level with only 5 bars compared to the Yaris Hybrid which has 8.
Old 25th November 2022, 08:15   #678
BHPian

Quote:
My comparison is to a Honda City CVT and this car has better pull when starting from a traffic light for instance. The City is more refined at higher speeds but this isn’t bad either
Thanks for this reply. This review is more relevant to me since I'm also coming from a Honda City CVT which I drive for about 380kms (13.2-13.8Km/L) within 4 days before needing a fill up so it is a relief that you're able to extract about 3x the range.

I'd agree on the rear seating experience of the Honda City. I believe no other brand can prove the leg room and comfort that any of the Honda cars provide
tjsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 09:29   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In agreement with you - we have a different display in the Hyryder for the battery level with only 5 bars compared to the Yaris Hybrid which has 8.
That makes sense then. I have 8 Bars in my Lexus 450h as well. The battery will almost never be full (unless travelling down a long slope/mountain). When it's too full, the regen braking no longer works and it then uses friction brakes.
Old 25th November 2022, 11:52   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
There are lot of people complaining on online that delivery for Hyryder has stopped in the last 48 hours.
Dealers have been saying they have been blocked by Toyota and their portal is not invoicing anymore.

Can someone help confirm this news? Hoping this is not true. There is already a significant delay in the delivery of this car.
Hello All,

I got confirmation from my dealer. Toyota had indeed stopped all dispatches and deliveries for QA issue in Hyryder. Most likely the issue is with the rear seat belt assembly or alarm. They expect operations to kick start by Monday.
There has been no official word from Toyota or commitment to restart deliveries and dispatches.
I am wondering if they will need to do a recall for existing dispatches or is the problem with the new lot. Strangely enough, Toyota has been mum on the entire thing.
smilingakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 13:29   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
There are lot of people complaining on online that delivery for Hyryder has stopped in the last 48 hours.
Dealers have been saying they have been blocked by Toyota and their portal is not invoicing anymore.

Can someone help confirm this news? Hoping this is not true. There is already a significant delay in the delivery of this car.
My Grand vitara delivery too has been postponed to next week, guess they are fixing some issue before delivery.

No detailed update from the showroom.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 25th November 2022 at 13:30.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:23   #682

• Spoke to the Toyota dealer in Blr.
  • He mentioned that while there have been a sudden spurt in cancellations for Hyryder Hybrid (extra-ordinary delay, QA issues, semiconductor shortage, CNG production..etc), many are now cancelling previous booking done for the top-end Hyryder and preferring the Innova HyCross Hybrid, in the hope of early delivery, despite the fact that actual pricing are not yet been revealed!
Prakash Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 12:32   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakash Rao View Post
  • Spoke to the Toyota dealer in Blr.
  • He mentioned that while there have been a sudden spurt in cancellations for Hyryder Hybrid (extra-ordinary delay, QA issues, semiconductor shortage, CNG production..etc), many are now cancelling previous booking done for the top-end Hyryder and preferring the Innova HyCross Hybrid, in the hope of early delivery, despite the fact that actual pricing are not yet been revealed!
Thats good news for me… I will be keeping my booking. QA issues? None have been reported by any users here. I dont understand the meaning CNG production?
Old 26th November 2022, 17:40   #684
Senior - BHPian

Taking delivery of a G Hybrid (red) next week, a little over a month after booking it. The dealer wrote 6 months on the booking form, but to our surprise, the sales personnel called earlier this week and informed that the vehicle had been allotted.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 07:39   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Thats good news for me… I will be keeping my booking. QA issues? None have been reported by any users here. I dont understand the meaning CNG production?
  • Update:
  • QA issues (something to do with a rear seat-belt, for a particular production batch) have been resolved and all deliveries are now normal.
  • Toyota has got over 1 lakh bookings yet only around 300 manufactured per day.
  • Strangely, 10% of production goes to CNG variant.

• For reasons unknown, there has been a significant spurt in cancellations, with some customers opting for the Innova HyCross ZX Hybrid variant.
Prakash Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 08:39   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Thats not normal. The system tries to keep the state of charge for the battery between 20-80% to preserve the battery in the long run. 2 Bars is low meaning the engine would need to turn on to charge the battery plus propel the car at the same time. It could only be the case when you are in crawling jam and all propulsion is by the motors but even then when it reaches the last 2 bars, the engine would turn on and charge the battery upto around 4 bars and then turn off again.
I have the same experience as Audik75 with my GV. The charging rarely goes over 2 bars. I have to drive with a heavy foot if if I find an open space to increase the charge.
Engine come on when it goes to 1 bar (which is 20%) and shuts of at 2 bars. Have only been able to take it upto all 5 bars twice. 3-4 kms was the max it drove on pure EV.
Old 28th November 2022, 12:03   #687
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I took a test drive of Hyryder Hybrid yesterday at Sonak Toyota Pune. I am doing passive research for my next car upgrade from Corolla Altis and below are my observations:
Please note that I have been spoiled by the quality and comfort experienced in Altis & my points are more on a nitpicking side.
  1. Car looked good from outside but not so premium sitting inside. there are too many layers on dashboard whereas I prefer simple dash layout, something like Honda City or Skoda Slavia. Visibility is very good though. its big in size but doesn't feel big while driving.
  2. Driver seat comfort is okay, under thigh support could have been better.
  3. Rear seat is positioned upright, long drives will not be comfortable for rear passengers. a recliner function would have been useful there.
  4. Overall material quality is way below the usual Toyota standards. dashboard plastics & sheet metal quality has been downgraded compared to what I see in my current car. For me it was a big let down as I was expecting Toyota would have corrected their mistake with a fresh product.
  5. There was a Hilux parked next to it and the in-cabin quality is way higher in it than any of current Toyota offering in sub 50 lakhs segment.
  6. Took a short test drive too, apart from the usual experience of driving a Hybrid car what I felt was that it would feel underpowered on a highway drive & every overtaking will need careful planning. After certain RPM ( didn't note it) it looses its steam. something which I am not used to in my current car.

I think this was expected by majority & now has been accepted by prospective buyers. Toyota has accepted the Maruti QA standards ever since rebadged Marutis became part of it's product line ups in order to increase sales.

In my opinion if someone is Looking for a lateral upgrade to a high quality car in sub 25 lakhs price bracket there are other better options available in market, like MG ZS EV, Honda City Hybrid & XUV700 Diesel ( non top end models which may have less waiting period). Buying Hyryder would be a compromise on quality & engine power both.
Strider24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 16:48   #688
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Hyryder hybrid today. Some observations:
  • The car was very sluggish when I started off and I was a bit disappointed.Then I realised it was on Eco mode and shifted to Power mode. Things were pretty solid from there on. The initial pick up is almost similar to the Nexon EV. Didn't get a chance to drive above 60 kmph, but I was reasonably impressed.
  • The ride was pretty mature and handling was decent. Nothing to complain about.
  • NVH is OK. Starts off eerily quiet on EV model but when the engine does come on there's no mistaking that its a 3 pot. Not too refined.
  • Front seats were quite comforable and headroom was more than adequate. I'm almost 6ft tall.
  • Rear seats have pretty good legroom, but three adults sitting abreast will be a challenge - the cabin is a bit narrow and the transmission tunnel really gets in the way. Rear Headroom is acceptable.
  • Fit and finish is a mixed bag. Plenty of hard plastics not befitting of a 20L plus vehicle. As others have mentioned, it's more Maruti than Toyota.

To be sure, there are quite a few compromises with this vehicle, but I think it gets the basics right for someone looking for a city car.
Old 29th November 2022, 16:51   #689
BHPian

Just completed PDI of my silver knight. The vehicle only had 9.7 Km on the odometer and the car felt flawless (Silver DT looks like a beauty )

However, noticed two software issues- The wireless charging was not working and TPMS was not showing any figures. They have promised to rectify both issues. Have set the delivery date as Friday.

Accessories I finally took:
Mud Flap
3D Mat
No Plate
Body Cladding
Fender Garnish
Door Sill guard with light (This one was expensive with light but I liked it)

I am planning to get Ceramic Coating (quoted at 25.2 K) and Underbody cover (Coated at 5K with 10 visits covered).

The current picture does not do justice to the Dual Tone version. The car was very dirty (albeit silver color does hide the dirt )
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-20221129_114020.jpg  

smilingakash is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 19:08   #690
BHPian

I have few questions from senior BHPians.

Although I have booked Hyryder Hybrid, i still have some doubts regarding Automatic thing. I have driven manuals throughout my life but now wants to shift to the "perfect" Automatic which is available below 20LAC price. I am aware of all the pros and cons of various types of Automatic transmissions and have taken test drives of various cars but couldn't convince myself for getting any of those. I am a heavy mile muncher within city. It's almost 2000kms per month so fuel efficiency is important for me . May be this eCVT is the best for me. Want to have opinion from other members specially those who have driven lot of Automatics.

I took test drive of following automatics since last 1 year

XUV700- Torque converter and best when it came to pickup but definitely not for me. Couldn't get a good driving position and fuel guzzler too.

MG Astor- Driven Turbo variant and another TC. Great pickup but a little jerky and poor fuel efficiency too.

MG Hector- CVT. Low speed driving was good but on a flyover it had the least pickup among all automatics and it's here I got know about what "rubberband effect" is all about.

Kicks CVT- Huge difference between CVT and manual. A great engine in manual mode was struggling in CVT. Very poor tunning or just bad CVT.

Honda City. CVT again and just ok pickup but iam interested in a SUV.

Alcazar: TC and definitely better than all the CVT . MID was displaying 12/13 KMPL in the short test drive I took. But i know Hyundai's MIDs usually exaggerate displayed fuel economy so not sure if it's really 12/13 KMPL.

Brezza AT- TC but felt sluggish of all the automatics i drove.

Carens DCT- Great pickup and definitely close to manual and i think even fuel efficiency is ok but after reading so much about DCT reliability issues i think this one is not for me. Didn't test drive any other Hyundai or kia car for same reason .

Many recommended Kushaq and taigun but definitely want to avoid these Germans. Not comfortable with their service centres for various reasons.

And finally i drove Hyryder Hybrid. And I had the following observations. Just to let u know i was allowed only city test drive on congested roads only as there were no highway or an an empty road nearby. I took 3 test drives of 5/6 kms on different days. Maximum speed i could achieve wa 60kms/hour.

1. Pickup was definitely better than any of the CVT and almost same as Carens DCT. In fact 0-60kms/hour was probably the best. I have a feeling that since at low speeds the electric motors are very active, the torquey motors have resulted in great pickup. If that is so this might have resulted in CVT transmission without any rubberband effect. I really want automatic enthusiasts to make their opinion on this . Or may be I should take TD on a highway only to get a true feeling. I think CVT rubberband effect spoils driving experience in low speed only. What say?

2. Second thing I want to know is regarding "Engine braking". I really use engine braking a lot in my manual car and in Automatic we can use engine braking by using Paddle shifters or manual mode. But in Hyryder both are missing so how to employ engine braking without these. How do people driving electric vehicles employ engine braking when there is no engine. Does not having an engine braking makes it Safety hazard? In Hyryder there is a "B mode" which as per salesman is to be used when on downward slopes to slow car speed. Can we use this Bmode for engine braking?

Oh just forgot to add that I am interested in petrol only. No diesel as I stay in Delhi NCR

Last edited by drsachin : 29th November 2022 at 19:16.
drsachin is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed