BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Nice read about Hybrid driving. Was useful for me, so I posted the link here

https://prius.ecrostech.com/QandA/BMode.htm
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 14:55   #737
BHPian

Hyryder CNG listed on website. Looks like only S & G variants are coming with CNG.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-cng.png
Old 18th December 2022, 11:24   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
Would appreciate on what the owners have to say on this. Been reading a lot about how it doesn’t go up more than 2 bars unless you’re on the highway. I even noticed the same when I test drove the vehicle twice. It was always on 2 bars.

1) Is this normal?
2) Is there a better way to charge it up whilst in the city?
3) Does it even matter to have it charged all the way up since you end up getting the same mileage anyways?
I was driving in the city yesterday and saw the battery charged to full. So, it does goes beyond 2 bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-20221217_173043.jpg  

OpenRoads is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 17:58   #739
BHPian

I just received news from my dealer that Hybrid prices will increase by 6 %. Hoping my car is billed by 30th as promised else will have to cancel it. Praying as I already sold my Yaris.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 18:21   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I just received news from my dealer that Hybrid prices will increase by 6 %. Hoping my car is billed by 30th as promised else will have to cancel it. Praying as I already sold my Yaris.
6% increase means almost a lakh rupees delta, even for base hybrid variant which makes it a nonviable option for people with running less than 20k KM in a year.
TT-S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 19:35   #741
BHPian

Owners, can you share the aftermarket accessories/upgrades that you bought for your hyryder like the mats, horn, useful gadgets etc
Old 19th December 2022, 22:21   #742
BHPian

Its been 200 km and close to 2 weeks of bringing the Hyryder home (Enticing Silver Dual Tone V). Might get around to making a longer post on the whole process and experience.

For now - have some questions to fellow owners. The head unit has been popping some minor but annoying issues so wanted to see if others have noticed the same.
  1. The voice activation activates itself without any input. Once in a while is understandable but happens at least twice in my office commute. It is super annoying
  2. People can hardly hear my voice when speaking on carplay. I have to be shouting at the top of my voice to be heard.
  3. Carplay disconnects at the exact location every day. For folks from BLR - this is while I am crawling upwards in traffic at the Marathahalli flyover on the east
    bound carriageway towards HAL. This does not happen anywhere else. Not even on the same flyover when I am on the other side - usually there is no traffic and I mostly zoom through when driving west bound. I understand there might be some kind of interference but the problems is that once it disconnects - it simply refuses to pair with the phone again. I even tried turning off the car while waiting for the traffic to move ahead and tried pairing it but to no avail. It only connects after a complete shut off and some time has passed.
  4. Someone has mentioned this on a previous post - google maps has a weird offset from your actual location (this doesn't happen everywhere). I have seen it happening in the Varthur road between Jagriti theater and the Kundalahalli underpass. Happened multiple times and not a one off incident. The irritating part is that google maps is constantly trying to re-route. My understanding was that CarPlay works on screen projection and it should be using my phone's location but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I took the car to Nandi Toyota Banaswadi about these. For issues 1 and 2, they said they are aware of this problem. Apparently, some Glanza owners have complained too. Both the Hyryder and Glanza share the same HU. They have said they will call me when a fix becomes available.

This is my first car with so many gizmos. Not sure if this kind of glitchy behavior is par for the course for modern cars. Its been an irritant in an otherwise great experience. Hope the folks at Toyota figure out a fix for this.

And yes this happened.... :-)
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-mileage.jpeg
curiousElf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 10:33   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
6% increase means almost a lakh rupees delta, even for base hybrid variant which makes it a nonviable option for people with running less than 20k KM in a year.
If it's indeed the case, I might as well cancel my booking. These car companies have to understand the main USP of Hybrid/Diesel cars is their running cost. If they price the car too high this defeats the very purpose of these cars.

The new GST rates itself is big letdown. Forget subsidies the new GST seem to be driving the cost of cars even higher. So what will a heavy user like me do. I might as well go towards buying a pre owned BS6 Diesel SUV. It will have two advantages first low upfront costs and i will have Little pain in selling it off after 4-5 years. In such a scenario i will not bother about Delhi NCR 10year rule.
Old 20th December 2022, 13:10   #744
BHPian

Still Toyota dealer hasnt been able to give me confirmation on dispatch. A week ago they persuaded me to sell my Yaris as the car was expexted by 10th at their yard. Then the date changed to 20th dispatch from Bangalore. Now they are yet not able to commit. I am left without a car and the prospect of having to pay 1 lakh pkus more as this will have a cascading effect. With the current situation no car is available immediately. Will have to look for a second hand car. Had zeroed on a Tata Harrier and Creta
Old 20th December 2022, 13:38   #745
BHPian

I had taken test drive of the Hybrid Hyryder on first week of December. When I booked a week later, SA indicated a price hike from January and new pricing will be applicable.

I am guessing, there could also be a feature rejig apart from the upped pricing. Toyota might do a Yaris again and bring 6 airbags to all hybrid variants. It remains to be seen if they will correct many of the issues reported in the current model (thin sunroof blind, voice command issues with HU etc)

Last edited by TT-S : 20th December 2022 at 13:40. Reason: mentioned SA specifically
TT-S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 17:16   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousElf View Post
Someone has mentioned this on a previous post - google maps has a weird offset from your actual location (this doesn't happen everywhere). I have seen it happening in the Varthur road between Jagriti theater and the Kundalahalli underpass. Happened multiple times and not a one off incident. The irritating part is that google maps is constantly trying to re-route. My understanding was that CarPlay works on screen projection and it should be using my phone's location but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Carplay + Google Maps is giving a lot of GPS location/precision issues. It has happened with me at several places & is pretty annoying. Android auto + Google maps works seamlessly.

On another note, has anyone been able to make carplay + google maps navigation to work on Instrument Cluster + HUD?
rr06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 23:05   #747

Quote:
The voice activation activates itself without any input. Once in a while is understandable but happens at least twice in my office commute. It is super annoying
I have switched off the voice recognition in the settings. Hope they come up with a software upgrade soon.
smilyinblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 12:38   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
I was driving in the city yesterday and saw the battery charged to full. So, it does goes beyond 2 bars.
What I observed is that the engine is ON even beyond 2 bars of charge, even when idling, if you have any defogger turned on or the AC temperature set to warmer levels. This eventually charges the battery fully in some time.
Old 21st December 2022, 13:00   #749

Quote:
The voice activation activates itself without any input. Once in a while is understandable but happens at least twice in my office commute. It is super annoying
I too faced this with Toyota Assist and disabled it in the first day itself. No issues with google assist or Siri.

Quote:
People can hardly hear my voice when speaking on carplay. I have to be shouting at the top of my voice to be heard.
I am not facing this issue. Get it sorted out in your first service.

Quote:
Carplay disconnects at the exact location every day. For folks from BLR - this is while I am crawling upwards in traffic at the Marathahalli flyover on the east bound carriageway towards HAL.
I have not faced this issue in any place. But sometimes, when switching between phones, neither phones would connect. I need to unpair and pair them again to get it working. I will update it once I go over Marathahalli flyover.

Quote:
Someone has mentioned this on a previous post - google maps has a weird offset from your actual location (this doesn't happen everywhere). I have seen it happening in the Varthur road between Jagriti theater and the Kundalahalli underpass. Happened multiple times and not a one off incident. The irritating part is that google maps is constantly trying to re-route. My understanding was that CarPlay works on screen projection and it should be using my phone's location but that doesn't seem to be the case.
For me, I face the issue both in my office and my house locations, for about 5 mins of drive, after which, it becomes accurate. This is happening in both Android auto as well as Apple carplay. Never faced this issues in my phones. So I am sure the google maps is using the car's GPS antenna. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be fast enough to get more satellites for accurate geolocation.
parattai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 13:29   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parattai View Post
What I observed is that the engine is ON even beyond 2 bars of charge, even when idling, if you have any defogger turned on or the AC temperature set to warmer levels. This eventually charges the battery fully in some time.
Not sure I understand you fully. Charging of the battery is totally dependent on the driving condition which includes all parameter like if you are cruising at a certain speed or doing fast overtakes which would need quick acceleration. Even when you are parked with the AC switched on the engine would eventually switch on to keep the battery at 2 levels minimum.
My best guess is when you drive for longer with minimal acceleration it eventually charges the battery to the fullest. I have planned for a ~1K KM road trip next week and test all my theories. Will keep you guys posted

Most Viewed