Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:55   #811
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Went and did the PDI of the Blue V variant car that is being allotted to me. Everything seems in order, didn't see any fit or finish issues, the electronics seem to be working well, 16km as of now on the ODO, and the 17 digit VIN (this surprised me since everywhere I was checking it mentioned Toyota has 22 digit VIN) was decoded to show a November 2022 manufacturing date so I gave the go ahead and went to the bank to complete the loan formalities. Should get the delivery by weekend or next week, based on RTO timings. Excited!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img20230102143428.jpg  

IonHawk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 22:34   #812

I got the delivery of the G variant on 28th and did a Mumbai - Pune drive over the weekend. While there are many detailed reviews, here are my thoughts on the car:
1. Engine: It is not for enthusiasts, but after getting used to (if i can call it that) its not something that bothered me a lot. Overtaking was not an issue for me, but unlike my manual vento I was a little hesitant at first. The sound of the engine when you floor the accelerator forces you to drive conservatively I got an average of 20.5 roundtrip.
2. Doors: I hate them, the first few times I could not shut them in the first try.
3. Boot: You need to play some tetris, but a weekend trip with 3-4 people should be manageable for most people. I forgot to take a picture of the loaded boot but was pleasantly surprised to see 1 massive suitcase, a cabin bag and a couple of hand carry bags fit in.
4. Sun Roof: Its really nice when there is no sun overhead, but we left at noon and you can feel the sun shine through it. Not very uncomfortable but definitely a miss from Toyota and Maruti. Thought i hear some accessary is going to be launched soon.
5. Steering Wheel: I found it to be very thin, so will be getting a leather cover. If anyone has recommendations please do let me know.
6. Sound System: It's strictly okay, however i faced no issues with respect to call quality and no issues with the voice assistant (I have a feeling I may have disabled it while playing around).
7. NVH: Unacceptable for a 20L car, but its something you should get used to over time.
8. Seats: I'm 5'9" and I found the seats to be okay, some additional under thigh support for the driver would be welcome especially for the tall drivers.

I do not think there is any perfect car in this 20L category, but for someone like me who drives around 30km/day in bumper to bumper traffic with the occasional Mumbai - Pune (once or twice a month), this seemed to tick most boxes.
zmachine is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 01:35   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmachine View Post
4. Sun Roof: Its really nice when there is no sun overhead, but we left at noon and you can feel the sun shine through it. Not very uncomfortable but definitely a miss from Toyota and Maruti. Thought i hear some accessary is going to be launched soon.
Congrats on your new ride!

Would you be able to give more information on the accessory for the mosquito net? It was the main reason I changed my booking from a G to S variant. Apart from tinting the sunroof, I am not aware of anything else that would help.
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:14   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
Congrats on your new ride!

Would you be able to give more information on the accessory for the mosquito net? It was the main reason I changed my booking from a G to S variant. Apart from tinting the sunroof, I am not aware of anything else that would help.
This is something the SA told me at the time of delivery, dont have any further details but I have asked him to keep me posted. Hopefully it will be available soon.
zmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:32   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
- And finally here is the fuel efficiency at the end of the drive (I had reset the Trip meter before the journey). The MID reading is quite accurate from what I've learnt. As mentioned, the drive was sedate, and it also included multiple sections being stuck in dense bumper to bumper traffic on the highway and in the city.
Attachment 2398990
I had a feeling that this thing can deliver impressive FE even on highways. Whenever you let off the accelerator and start coasting, the car would jump to EV mode. I don't know what the average speed was, but these figures are very difficult to achieve even in 1.0/1.2L tiny hatchback.
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:39   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrachur View Post

Question to anyone who has installed a dashcam:
Remember to disconnect the dashcam power when you give the car for servicing. Otherwise the dashcam will be damaged. This time I forgot to do it, and my dashcam is damaged (internal fault due to suspected surge/ ground).
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 22:25   #817
BHPian

@zmachine. You can get leather wrapping done at Orchis, Mumbai. They have a set up at New Mumbai. Need about 3 hours and they remove the steering wheel. Am told they do a great job. I was quoted 2500 for leather wrap and 1700 bucks for art leather. Changed variant to V so didn’t need it. You can get their number from the website.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 23:31   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakash Rao View Post
KEY DRAWBACKS (ARGUABLE INDEED) FOR THE KIND ATTENTION OF TOYOTA HQ. (Toyota Hyryder-V variant):
[*]No cornering lights or curve-adaptive LED projectors
[*]No park-assist features
[*]Adaptive air suspension with autonomous emergency braking, lane departure warning (LDW) and emergency lane keeping (ELK) are missing, although standard in Hybrids at this high pricing![/list]
I would be very curious to know of any car under 75 lakhs that offers adaptive air suspension! Also which hybrids in this pricing range offer ADAS features and automatic parking assist.
84.monsoon is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 12:00   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmachine View Post
This is something the SA told me at the time of delivery, dont have any further details but I have asked him to keep me posted. Hopefully it will be available soon.
Thanks! Would appreciate an update when you get one.

Something else I checked on this forum but haven’t received any response on was whether you get any notification if the sunroof is left open after turning the ignition off.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:08   #820

Happy to find an owner who has made the switch from the Yaris to the Hyryder. We love the Yaris, but the fact that it has been discontinued hurts a bit. We're thinking of getting an 'SUV', but are finding it hard to choose between the V Hyryder and the Alcazar AT Petrol. Yes, they're very different cars, but the the Hyryder doesn't feel as premium and refined as a car that costs 23L on road should feel. The fuel economy is incredible, and Toyota's service record needs no introduction.

Have you enjoyed the Hyryder so far? Do you miss anything from the Yaris(VX)?
Old 4th January 2023, 14:40   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Whenever you let off the accelerator and start coasting, the car would jump to EV mode.
It should generate power and charge the batteries when you lift of the gas pedal or when coasting. This is the behavior on a Prius, Camry, etc. Assume its the same for the Hyryder.
Old 4th January 2023, 18:04   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvkmr View Post
Happy to find an owner who has made the switch from the Yaris to the Hyryder. We love the Yaris, but the fact that it has been discontinued hurts a bit. We're thinking of getting an 'SUV', but are finding it hard to choose between the V Hyryder and the Alcazar AT Petrol. Yes, they're very different cars, but the the Hyryder doesn't feel as premium and refined as a car that costs 23L on road should feel. The fuel economy is incredible, and Toyota's service record needs no introduction.

Have you enjoyed the Hyryder so far? Do you miss anything from the Yaris(VX)?
Hi. Two major things which I miss in the Yaris is the comfort in the rear seats (Hyryder is too upright) and the butter smooth engine which used to literally make no sound.

How I wish Toyota had retained the 4 pot engine. I don’t like Hyundai cars per se (no offence meant to owners) as they compromise on the ride and handling. The dealer attitude too leaves a lot to be desired as it is more take it or leave it.

I have developed a good rapport with my T dealer who has managed to procure a Hyryder for me before the price hike

I was focusing on FE since my driving has increased with a change in job profile. Sedans though inviting to drive and man was Yaris a well built car, has drawbacks like lower seating (problems for my parents) and lower GC which meant scraping the bottom on speed breakers.

Other than that I don’t miss the Yaris as much.
Palio_2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 20:59   #823
BHPian

My Hyryder finally got delivered today!

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img20230104wa0040.jpg

Is the engine supposed to sound very loud inside the cabin while it is idling?
Coming from 4 cylinder cars it's quite unsettling to me.
I don't remember hearing this happening during my test drive few months ago.
Can owners describe what they hear when engine turns on while it's parked?
I recorded the audio.

tjsi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 23:51   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
My Hyryder finally got delivered today!

Attachment 2399934

Is the engine supposed to sound very loud inside the cabin while it is idling?
Coming from 4 cylinder cars it's quite unsettling to me.
Sounds unusual. The sound tones down towards the end of the video. Did you check if its the fan noise? The knocking thak thak noise calls for a SC visit otherwise.
Old 5th January 2023, 09:22   #825
BHPian

Hi. First of all congratulations on your new car. I too get the same engine noise at start up. It settles once the engine heats up. The car makes all sort of sounds and if you read the user manual, there is a whole page on different sounds which the car is supposed to make . I am due for the first service next week, so will point it out to them.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed