Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 10:37   #916
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
Also, I noticed that when i kept the car in neutral for a long time being stuck in traffic the cars MID threw a notification asking me to not be in N for too long since the battery is super low, i switched to D with foot on brake and only then it started charging the battery and during the entire day my battery never got charged beyond 3 bars
1. While waiting in a traffic signal you can switch to P instead of D. This will automatically turn the engine on in case the battery charge falls below 2 bars.

2. In city with traffic the battery would keep charging and discharging throughout depending on the throttle and braking. This way it maintains a healthy mileage. However in an empty stretch of about 20-30 mins+ you will see the battery being charged beyond 3 bars even full sometimes. At least that's what I have noticed in my case.
OpenRoads is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 09:24   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota Hyryder waiting period extends up to 15 months.
This is interesting. I booked a White S Variant Hybrid earlier this month with a 3-4 month delivery timeline. The SA called in yesterday saying that there was a Red S Hybrid readily available, but I'm not too keen on the colour.
Old 30th January 2023, 08:07   #918

After another 900 Kms across TN (compared to the pot-holed ridden and backbreaking humps in Karnataka, the flawless world-class highway passing through Krishnagiri is being asphalted again, despite being near perfect), I have some additional observations and personal remarks.

I sincerely hope Toyota India HQ will take note, while it is indeed surprising that even after 6 months, the reputed, customer-centric-company has not released any software update/patch for the buggy, infotainment and navigation system in the Hyryder Hybrid.

PROS:
  • Excellent suspension, extremely smooth, provided you keep all the four tyre’s pressure within 210 kPa (31 psi) to 220 kPa (32 psi). Pls note that despite all tyre’s filled afresh with Nitrogen, yet the pressure increases while riding in hot sun on the highways.
  • Most stable ride even at triple-digit speeds
  • Manoeuvring across a bank or high kerb or sharp turn is comfortably stable even at high speeds. I tried on a very sharp turn at up to 80Km/hr. Any speed above this will probably be considered harsh cornering and unsafe for this SUV and I would say strictly not advisable. You will not only experience tire squealing but dangerously risk getting skidded, due to traction & control loss.
  • Overtaking is a breeze. Thanks to the adrenaline boost from the extra power provided by the electric motor, you can literally overtake almost any vehicle in the city.
  • Breaking is super-smooth, however hard you press the pedal. The regenerative braking helps better fuel economy without sacrificing performance.
  • At lower speeds, the SUV is indeed totally quiet. Only the illuminated dashboard indicates the vehicle is on!
  • Headlight is powerful enough.
  • 360 degrees camera system is a major help for parking in tight spaces and narrow roads.

=================================

CONS:
  • Voice activation has to be disabled permanently.
  • The large panoramic sunroof is a big problem. A blunder or sales gimmick with absolutely no serious benefit. Not only does it eat-up precious headroom, it gets so unbelievably hot in the afternoon that the AC at full blast, is hardly effective! Since the sun-film I installed is of no tangible use, I recently got a very large silver foil tucked in carefully between the glass and the netted cloth mesh. However, it still heats-up the car.
  • There is a feature which increases the volume automatically depending on the increase in speed to compensate the outside road noise. Despite deactivating this, the FM radio suddenly switches on at high volume. It is not only a nuisance but very embarrassing too, especially at traffic signals.
  • The HUD (even when linked with Android Auto) is useless and more of a distraction. You can use the large screen of the main display and shut-down the HUD permanently.
  • Opening the rear door using the key would have been a big help.
  • Ventilated seats (even at setting #3) are not powerful enough on a hot day. And the highest setting is too noisy.
  • ACC ought to have been offered. Those who have driven long distance with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). will agree that it is a major feature that is missing and is most relevant for Indian highways. Basically, if the car ahead slows down, the ACC can automatically match it.
  • After driving over 150Kms, you will experince pain in the buttock and back, because of total lack of lumbar support combined with a narrow seat. Despite changing posture often, the pain sustains! I have noticed some relief with a small sized, ultra-soft headrest pillow attached (strap-on) to the seat.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd February 2023 at 22:18. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Prakash Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 13:42   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Hyryder CNG Prices Are Out.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-tty.jpg

Quote:
Priced from Rs 13.23 lakh to Rs 15.29 lakh with Rs 95,000 premium over corresponding petrol variants.

Gets a 1.5-litre petrol-CNG engine with 88PS on tap and a claimed efficiency of 26.6km/kg.

CNG variants feature a 9-inch touchscreen system, cruise control, up to six airbags, a rear camera, and LED headlamps.

Costlier than the Grand Vitara CNG by up to Rs 45,000.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th January 2023 at 13:43.
Old 30th January 2023, 17:48   #920
BHPian

Just received word from an SA in Nandi that the prices of Hyryder could increase by 2% from Feb 1st onwards. Don't see any news online yet.

Wanted to check if someone is able to confirm this?
Old 30th January 2023, 21:24   #921
BHPian

So, I'm happy to report that i have successfully got done modifications for lumbar support in all the seats.

The seat guy removed all seat covers and then after trying on the seat, he put a small layer of good quality foam around lumbar region and put on the original covers back.

After trying on the modification, I'm happy to report, the issuer with lumbar support is resolved.

The seats are still small however. That is a problem for surge day.
aadiaksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 13:13   #922

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota Hyryder waiting period extends up to 15 months.
Hi! This is my first post on Team-BHP.
In complete contrast to the above waiting period figures, I was given a waiting period of almost a year for strong hybrid variant of the Hyryder at 2 different Toyota dealerships in Chennai. This happened a week back. The staff at the dealerships were quite apologetic that they were themselves informed of this looong waiting period by Toyota very recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img20230124wa0001.jpg  

Civilian_Chenna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 20:12   #923
BHPian

Some tips I found online on how to maximize FE with hybrid vehicles:
  • Use your car’s hybrid information display to monitor energy usage.
  • Don’t put your pedal to the metal. Go easy on the accelerator and press it lightly and consistently to keep the car in EV mode.
  • Use the ECO mode to get better fuel economy.
  • Brake gently and early to allow the EV mode to operate longer.
  • Use cruise control to maintain an even speed.
  • Set the AC on recirculate, which saves energy.
  • Don’t select ‘N’ neutral when stationary in stop-start traffic because it will discharge the hybrid battery and fail to generate electricity.
  • Using the car’s battery will save the most energy when driving. In city driving situations, accelerate to the desired speed and then ease off the pedal, then ease back on.

Source: https://www.toyotaofdowntownla.com/h...-maximize-mpg/
Cruzn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:18   #924
RRU
BHPian

Update - Hyryder strong hybrid prices increased by Rs.50k across variants:

Revised price per website:

1 S e-Drive 2WD HYBRID e-Drive 15,61,000
2 G e-Drive 2WD HYBRID e-Drive 17,99,000
3 V e-Drive 2WD HYBRID e-Drive 19,49,000

Was expected but with so many constraints, value proposition & fuel cost arbitrage will fizzle out.
RRU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:52   #925
BHPian

Last week i checked with my dealer Espirit Toyota Noida. First he told me that they have stopped taking bookings for Hycross and soon they will close booking of Hyryder strong hybrids too as they have production constraints. Later he also told me that they deliver just around 30 Hyryder cars per month. My car which was expected around April or May might be delivered early next month only as there has been numerous cancellations. Last month i also checked at Nexa showroom, grand vitara strong hybrids are readily available. Both the showrooms were almost empty even on weekend in the evening time with noone checking their newly launched cars. I have been to these showrooms numerous times in last 2 months and have rarely seen any Grand vitara hybrid or Hyryder getting delivered, not the kind of scene you see in newly launched in demand cars.

I really don't know what is going on. To me it seems Both the companies are artificially creating an adverse Demand supply ratio. This price increase might be their way of letting everyone know that the strong hybrid car is in huge demand. Or they may genuinely have poor production capacities. Anyway whatever may be the reason all those who have booked the car may not take this price increase kindly. Many in my family members were finding this car overpriced but now with this price increase i too might cancel my booking soon.

Now i know why Indian government doesn't take these Japanese companies seriously. They have abused subsidies on mild hybrids and didn't even pass on the benefits to the consumer.

Last edited by drsachin : 2nd February 2023 at 13:54.
drsachin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:02   #926
Senior - BHPian

Nothing in the Union budget for Hybrids? What happened to the lobbying of Toyota and Maruti, prices increased day after the budget.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 2nd February 2023 at 14:03.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:09   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Nothing in the Union budget for Hybrids? What happened to the lobbying of Toyota and Maruti, prices increased day after the budget.
Their timings suggest they had already planned price increase before hand and we're expecting reduced taxes and cess on Hybrids in the budget which didn't materialise. Thats what government ment that in the past these Japanese companies had abused subsidies on mild hybrids and didn't even pass on the benefits to the consumer.
drsachin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 17:13   #928
BHPian

I have a question - can we shift to B from D or vice-versa while the car is in motion? Also, do we need to press the knob on the Gear lever while doing it?
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:02   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
I have a question - can we shift to B from D or vice-versa while the car is in motion? Also, do we need to press the knob on the Gear lever while doing it?
Yes you can. There is no need to press the knob to do this.
Audik75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 19:51   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Prices of Hyryder Strong Hybrid variants have been increased by Rs. 50,000/-

Link

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230203_195211.jpg

I guess now they're in range of Grand Vitara.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 3rd February 2023 at 19:53.

Most Viewed