Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2023, 18:50   #1036
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush812 View Post
The fact that the RTO people are aware of the policy and are ready to refund the money is in itself a great news.
I have to talked to Toyota dealer and they are ready to give this in writing on Form 22 that vehicle is Strong Hybrid HEV.
Wait for 10/15 days before you ask dealer to send vehicle for Registration. That's what the RTO incharge told me. I think they will start implementing policy from 1st April only. He also told me they are first concentrating on new registrations and then refunds some time later.
I am not sure if the RTO will agree to anything written by dealer on form 22. He was categorical that they want it mentioned straight by the manufacturer itself.
I have also spoken to senior management in Espirit Toyota company. Have shared all the details (RTO circular and EV policy passed by UP cabinet). She says they will speak to Toyota management on this and get back to me.
Old 28th March 2023, 23:51   #1037
BHPian

I am sharing my experience of owning the Hyryder. I have driven it for almost 1500 kms.
Pros:
1. Fuel Efficiency. It’s probably the one major reason why everyone should look at this vehicle.
2. Hybrid Technology. Toyota being pioneer in this technology it was a no brainer to go for the Hyryder.
3. Comfortable seating position. It’s very comfortable in the front as well as the rear.
4. Toyota reliability. Being a toyota user for more than 2 decades we were sure about it will be a hassle free experience .

Cons :
1. Interior Quality : Rattling has already started. It feels like a Maruti more than a Toyota. The rear parcel tray has started making so much noise. I have removed it and now the rear rattling sound is not there. There was noise from the co-drivers seat which was resolved by the service Center.
2. Idling Noise: this is the most frustrating part about the hybrid experience. When the battery is on 1 bar and the engine takes over in traffic jams , the engine vibration is very high. You can feel it very easily on your feet if you are driving and also in the front seat. I think toyota should find a solution soon.
3. Basic small issues : After a drive when I turn the car off the door locks don’t open by itself . I need to manually unlock it . (If someone has changed this setting it would be great if you could help.)
The window switches feel like from an entry level Maruti. For a 22 lakh on road car it doesn’t feel good.
4. Basic Audio quality : I have a nexon and a creta. The music quality is below par in the Hyryder. Nexon with Harman and Creta with Bose are leagues ahead.
5. Build Quality : A 2-wheeler came and kissed the back of the car and there was a dent. The car had to go to the body shop for denting and painting. It reminded me of the build quality of the Nexon. There was an incident where an army gypsy had kissed the rear left number of the nexon and its head light broke, whereas there was a minor scratch on the nexon.

The last Maruti vehicle that I had owned was a SX4 from 2007-2011. Prior to that I had a Swift. The main issue which kept me away from Maruti vehicles since 2011 were the interior built quality. Somehow because of lower quality of plastics used in them the rattling was always an issue. I have owned Toyota , Hyundai , Tata and Honda post my Maruti experience and even after more than 75000 on the odometer I have not experienced any kind of rattling noise. But , now with the Hyryder the Maruti’s quality has come back to haunt me . In the 45 days of ownership experience I can summarise that this is not the Toyota we are used to. The Maruti in Hyryder shows up very evidently every now and then.

I feel Hybrid buyers should take a test drive of the Honda City to feel the difference . The interior quality and the hybrid quality is much better. The Honda dealership here didn’t have a test drive vehicle so I opted out of it. I have been using the Creta for last 8 years (5 years 2015-2020 first gen, 3 years 2020-2023 the current gen) and in terms reliability is has been pretty good. For the same price point I feel the quality of the Korean twins and even the Vags are much ahead . I don’t feel that assured with the Hyryder.

It has been my personal experience . I felt I should share it with a potential hyryder buyer.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-bee82e659d0f4013aefbb82332058de7.jpeg  

pratiksinhal is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 08:55   #1038

Any idea how to turn off the DRLs on Hyryder ?
outlandish77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 08:44   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Got the 5,000kms service done.

Did a long trip few days back and the mileage showed highest of 21.5 kmpl on the ODO and manual calculation for the trip came out to 19kmpl, door to door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandish77 View Post
Any idea how to turn off the DRLs on Hyryder ?
Did not see any option to do this. Either headlights or DRL's will be on.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 06:39   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
The RTOs are already notified about the zero road tax on Electric vehicles including strong hybrids.
Is this rule specific to NCR? I couldn't find much about this in the news and it doesn't seem like any of the southern states have such an option.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:20   #1041
BHPian

Hyryder [Strong Hybrid] Experience after 5000 KMs -

Recently ODO crossed 5000 KM and with that completed 2nd service.

1. This included couple of road trips of 1000KMs to1400KMs across states.
2. Car was driven for 8-9 hours/day straight with minor stops (~30 mins) for break.
3. Refueling - Used normal petrol from COCO pumps and checked mileage using tank to tank (auto cut) method.
4. On highway speed of 80-85KM was maintained.
5. Passengers - Squeezed 4 adults + 2 kids + full luggage (parcel tray removed)

Pros:

1. Elephant in the room - 22 Km/L is the average mileage. In case you are wondering out of curiosity to see how capable is the hybrid tech is, I have experimented with consistent speed of 30-40 KM/h and got beyond 35 KM/l but that is not how I intend to drive this car.
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-refuel.jpg
2. Pick up is more than adequate for city ae well as highway. There was no trouble overtaking large trucks. However If you are expecting to win drag race please look elsewhere.
3. NVH levels - Its moderate to be honest and you hear the engine start because it dead silent when it runs on battery in between or when it starts rolling.
4. Drivability and brakes - The disc brakes have good bite and stops the car without any fuss or theatrics. Drivability is excellent.
5. HUD - I switched between Android and Apple Car play. Had no issues navigating and using maps. The GPS worked as intended. Speakers are again adequate esp when you are travelling with family and kids. If you want concert experience then this is not enough.
6. Looks - Its subjective. I like it. Since its new many asked what car is it?
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-car.jpg
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-road.jpg

Cons:

1. Untraceable squeaky sound from windows, backseat etc. Time and again it reminds you of M*R*T* build quality (no offence intended).
2. I felt the steering is a bit on the heavier side in comparison to i10 or swift.
3. Sunroof shade - Boy what were they thinking, maybe its good for cold countries where they celebrate sunlight but in India it was a poor choice or simply they copied and pasted without considering our climate. With temperatures ~ 35 to 38 degrees on the outside I had to bring the AC to its lowest setting. Funny thing is the blower makes more sound than the engine
4. Boot space - You will need to remove the parcel tray when going for road trips with your family.

Additional Note - During the second service Toyota have replaced rear seat belt mounting worth 4k for free due to ongoing recall. It was a 2 hours job.
OpenRoads is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 00:34   #1042
BHPian

I always use XP95 from Indian oil.Driven around 2600kms within Delhi NCR. The mileage i have obtained till now. Average 26.8km/Litre overall.
Peak average 36.9km/litre (done around 35kms in the morning time at 7am with moderate traffic and stoppages at red lights, with speeds between 40 to 75kms/hr, and using cruise control at some stretches). I don't consciously make any effort to drive frugally and actually drive at peak allowable speed limit on most roads. My fuel economy in morning time commute is easily more than 32km/hr and at peak traffic in the evening it's mostly around 24 to 27km/litre. All these averages with AC on most of the time.
drsachin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 09:15   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
I always use XP95 from Indian oil.
Is it advisable to use high octane fuel for a new car/engine? Please advice because I knew otherwise.

I just asked ChatGPT about it and it replied this.. Does this mark the end of BHPians?

"Using leaded petrol in a new car engine is not recommended as it can cause damage to the engine and other components. Leaded petrol contains a high level of lead, which is used as an additive to increase the fuel's octane rating and improve performance. However, lead can build up on the engine's spark plugs and valves, leading to poor engine performance, reduced fuel efficiency, and potentially serious damage to the engine.

Newer cars are designed to run on unleaded petrol, which contains significantly less lead or no lead at all. Using leaded petrol in a new car can also cause damage to the car's catalytic converter, which is designed to reduce harmful emissions. Therefore, it is important to always use the type of fuel recommended by the car manufacturer to ensure optimal performance and avoid damage to the engine.
"

Last edited by OpenRoads : 5th April 2023 at 09:21.
OpenRoads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 10:13   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Is it advisable to use high octane fuel for a new car/engine? Please advice because I knew otherwise[/i]"
Leaded petrol is longer sold in Delhi NCR, so i don't think they add lead to increase Octane rating. They might be increasing Ethanol content to increase Octane rating which is a concern to me.
I use XP95 as i have noticed better mileage and NVH levels with this fuel. And the second reason is the recommended octane rating for Hybrid cars sold by Toyota in Europe, Australia is 95 and above but in India as per service booklet it's 91 and above.

I would request other buyers of Toyota hybrid cars in India to suggest which fuel they recommend.
drsachin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 12:44   #1045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Leaded petrol is longer sold in Delhi NCR,

I use XP95 as i have noticed better mileage and NVH levels with this fuel. And the second reason is the recommended octane rating for Hybrid cars sold by Toyota in Europe, Australia is 95 and above but in India as per service booklet it's 91 and above.

I would request other buyers of Toyota hybrid cars in India to suggest which fuel they recommend.
Indeed, leaded petrol is not sold anywhere in India. It was phased out in 2000.

Hyryder’s engine is tuned for 91 octane petrol. There is no benefit to be had from running higher octane. What is happening is that XP95 currently has lower ethanol content than normal petrol, which is giving you the feeling of a better drive.

The fuel specifications are clearly mentioned in the owner’s manual. The user is free to choose whichever brand of petrol he wants to use, as long as it is within these specs. It just so happens that we are currently between a change in specifications of petrol, in a transition period.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 10:34   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
What is happening is that XP95 currently has lower ethanol content than normal petrol, which is giving you the feeling of a better drive.
I read that XP95 has 12% or more ethanol blend. So does that mean normal petrol has higher ethanol %? Can anyone tell what is the % of ethanol in normal Indian oil vs XP95.

Last edited by OpenRoads : 7th April 2023 at 10:35.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 10:42   #1047
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is happening is that XP95 currently has lower ethanol content than normal petrol, which is giving you the feeling of a better drive.
OT for this thread but I am not sure if this is correct. Blending with ethanol increase the octane number and I have a feeling that XP95 has even higher content of ethanol.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 13:25   #1048
BHPian

Toyota hyryder hybrid price hike for April.

S Automatic

Old price Rs. 15,61,000

New price Rs. 16,21,000, difference 60,000rs

G Automatic

Old price Rs. 17,99,000

New price Rs. 18,24,000, difference 25,000rs.

V Automatic

Old price Rs. 19,49,000,

New price Rs. 19,74,000, difference 25000 rs.

Already in February Toyota increased the price for hybrid by Rs. 50,000.
And now another hike for the month of April. So from January there is a total hike of Rs. 75000.
Similarly Zeta+ and aplha+ variants of grand vitara has a price hike of Rs. 30,000 respectively for strong hybrid varients. No change in mild hybrid for both.
Now both the hyryder and vitara are in honda city ehev territory. But honda has superior hybrid system with 4 cylinders.
So my question is,
have they upgraded anything in the car or it is just another systematic loot by Toyota? Just like the fortuner price hikes?
Sanket299 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 08:28   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
OT for this thread but I am not sure if this is correct. Blending with ethanol increase the octane number and I have a feeling that XP95 has even higher content of ethanol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
I read that XP95 has 12% or more ethanol blend. So does that mean normal petrol has higher ethanol %? Can anyone tell what is the % of ethanol in normal Indian oil vs XP95.
The comment was made specifically in context of the Hyryder, whose manual clearly states that
1. Engine is tuned for 91 octane
2. If the user is not satisfied with performance and efficiency of higher ethanol blends, he should revert to back E10.

Contrast this to something like the Skoda Kushaq, where it is clearly stated that the engine is tuned for 95 octane, but needs 91 octane minimum. Cars like this one actually benefit from 95 octane.

An engine tuned for 91 octane does not benefit from running 95 octane, all other things being constant.

Here, the difference is that XP95 is E10, while normal petrol is E12 or E15. Ethanol’s calorific value is a third less than that of pure petrol. Higher the amount of ethanol blended in, lower the net calorific value of the fuel. And the effect of this is directly felt in terms of reduced performance, reduced responsiveness as well as increased fuel consumption. This is what is the OP was feeling.

Also, fuel bunks and depots are having issues with water contamination in tanks with these E blends. This is another can of worms.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 9th April 2023 at 08:32.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 10:02   #1050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The comment was made specifically in context of the Hyryder,
I understand you but, it's exactly what I am curious to know-
Quote:
Here, the difference is that XP95 is E10, while normal petrol is E12 or E15.
Any source of this information? I tried asking COCO pump at Chanakyapuri where usually someone from company is always available and they had no answers, nor mentioned anywhere at web.

We all know, blending with Ethanol increases Octane so can XP95 has even higher content of Ethanol?

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th April 2023 at 10:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks