Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2022, 19:14   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Manufacturing constraints or a True backlog?

- Up to 6 months of waiting period on upcoming Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder

- The SUV is currently being offered with a waiting period ranging between five to six months on select variants

- Customers booking the SUV now (August) will only be able to get the car sometime around March next year.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 19:18   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Only first 200 cars, many state govts don't have that much money, so I don't believe this is going to happen.
Could you post a link to any article mentioning the same? Could not find any article or news regarding subsidy availability to first 200 cars only.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 19:23   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Could you post a link to any article mentioning the same? Could not find any article or news regarding subsidy availability to first 200 cars only.
Here you go!!! It's a sham policy. Everybody knows who those first 1000 or 200 folks will be.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot_20220830192056.jpg  

headbanger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 19:27   #124
SDx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Here is what I have from another thread on TBHP. Sry don't have the link to original post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electric Vehicle Policy, 2022.pdf (2.24 MB, 268 views)
SDx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 21:00   #125
BHPian

Thanks for the crisp and detailed review.
Boot space is a let down for me like many others with mixed highway and city drive needs. Now considering down grading to neo drive. Even though full drive review of the mild hybrid (neodrive) is not yet available, general expectation out of this engine is like that of other K15C based cars with Global C platform launched recently. Nothing much exciting on card except for may be some refinement on ride quality. But even the top model of Neodrive "V" is going to miss out on features like TPMS, ventlated seats, wireless charging, HUD etc according to brochure. I feel at least the TPMS being a very important feature should have been included. Though TPMS is included as a genuine accessory, no confirmation as yet, if it will be compatible with the mild hybrid models. I am assuming the TPMS here is of "direct" type.
The infotainment system on full hybrid model here is based on "Smartplay Pro plus" ?. This is mentioned to be of compatible with wireless android auto and carplay. Would it be same (wireless) for the mild hybrid (neo drive) top model ?
Though both mild hybrid and full hybrid gets the same nomenclature, I believe both are essentially two very different cars targetting different buyer types. It is a big miss on Maruti and Toyota by giving less features and importance to mild hybrid models including the AWD MT model.
Old 30th August 2022, 21:03   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Up to 6 months of waiting period on upcoming Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder. The SUV is currently being offered with a waiting period ranging between five to six months on select variants.
Is this for real!? Even before the eternity of price announcement has ended, another eternity of waiting period is already in place. Man....
rahil_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 22:04   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahil_29 View Post
Is this for real!? Even before the eternity of price announcement has ended, another eternity of waiting period is already in place. Man....
I expect the waiting period to quickly drop post price unveil. It's going to be really hard to price it competitively against the Korean twins with the additional costs around the Hybrid system etc which get blown up due to taxation.
Old 30th August 2022, 22:44   #128
BHPian

Quote:
- The SUV is currently being offered with a waiting period ranging between five to six months on select variants
The article is very vague with no discrete information about variants that are impacted. Moreover, it is just based on dealer input. I really don’t want to read too much from it.

Any tangible inference can be reached only post price reveal and when some concrete wholesales data emerges, and if and when segregation between strong and weak hybrids sales is published.
Old 30th August 2022, 23:17   #129
RRU
BHPian

Bahut badhiya sameeksha (great review) BHPians – Vidyut and Eddy – as always. Hyryder (thereby Grand Vitara, as well) is a mixed bag like all other cars – there is nothing called “perfect car,” and we highlight pros and cons based on our requirements/convenience and outcome vis-à-vis expectation.

I believe irrespective of OEMs (here MSL+TKM combined), over the past few years, we have been a witness to many new good cars rolling on our road successfully – this one will be no different. It will succeed. A lot of thinking and engineering go into making these cars although as end users we are at liberty to opine, and pass judgement, as well. I am seeing an interesting convergence and emulation of one another’s strengths by these OEMs – eventual beneficiary will be end users (and govt. of course that coughs up 43% tax – very high by any standards).

MSL – known for offering no frills, VFM, low budget cars, is actually trying to premium-ise offerings via collaboration route (with TKM) through a dedicated channel of experience (NEXA) and adding “features” which hitherto have been the forte of Korean automaker (s). Reason is very simple – for long it held over 50% market share, which has now slipped to 43% and can slip further unless arrested – today we have options galore – not just budget tin cans. MSL knows this and doing its bits on safety, features and premium feeling.

Hyundai and Kia – known for offering features up to brim, are actually trying to add safety as standard notwithstanding the initial jolt of lower than expected NCAP rating. Reason is simple – necessity cannot be covered up by offering “good-to-have” things (without any impact on utility, we can live without many of these).

M&M and TaMo – Known for making robust vehicles but sans refinement and little or no customer experience – CV, fleet and tractor owners would not mind, but we do – they are learning and improving – results are so much visible. Safety in cars manufactured by the duo is kind of given – paaaanch (5*) – already challenged the dominancy of MSL and Hyundai. How assiduously TaMo transformed NEXON since its launch to the number 1 SUV (all SUV segments combined) now is commendable. Their investment in EVs is going to be game changer – but trust me only after a decade or more. We are still building roads gentlemen. EV infra is a distant dream.

Toyota – Despite being no. 1 in the world (always for a reason), it never invested significantly in India’s mass market segments – quite conservative – happy with a few successful vehicles – enough to stay afloat and grow moderately – no one can ever take “reliability and safety” badge from it – tie up with MSL for rebadged products was a great move to test waters and roll out hybrids (more of its own versions to follow). Someone in the forum questioned Toyota’s ability to survive in India after pulling out the most reliable vehicle in India – Innova and apparent failure of Hyryder – trust me, they are smarter than us and know exactly what to do – let’s not be judgmental. Remember Qualis? Even a rebadged Brezza (Urban Cruiser, the outgoing model) sold over 6,700 units in July 2022 especially when new Brezza was already available.

VW – Never gets its engineering and performance wrong (top notch) - had to increase VFM and wider reach proposition – Rapid, Taigun and Kushaq are great examples and many to follow…

Honda – They really need to shed that “attitude”. While City hybrid is a valiant attempt given its an iconic brand, in a world of SUVs and MPVs, not sure how long it will sustain. Someone told me – marketing at its best is to find a product that customers want and at its worst find customers for a product.

Others – all others are following all or a combination of strategies highlighted supra. Appreciate that.

Overall, I am happy to see the convergence and fierce competition in these segments – makes all comparable and gives us options to choose from.

Coming specific to the SUV car we are discussing, I think its actually an URBAN CRUISER HYRYDER – made for city with high FE, can cruise easily, high GC helps manage tough Indian roads (I know how it is in Bangalore) and hybrid technology provides a better (than EV) transition to environment friendly urban mobility.

A few important pointers that I believe are:

1) Being a Toyota car – reliability, safety and reasonable cost of ownership are given even if the car gives “more Maruti than Toyota look.” Toyota will never let dilute these USPs.

2) Looks are subjective – I really liked the Hyryder overall. Some may like Grand Vitara or Creta or Seltos and more – I like all these though.

3) A lot has been said about “Maruti-like, not-so-plush interior features.” Without seeing (the taste of the pudding is in the eating), I believe if my 9-year-old petrol Etios’ (all experts called it really cheap, frugal and fraught with cost cutting) interior and exterior and everything survived (save usual wear and tear and tyres) without much fuss in Bengaluru’s great road, I have no reasons to believe these are not robust enough to live or outlive their life. Beyond this, all opinions are subjective and purely personal.

4) FE of Hyryder/Grand Vitara is for real given this is strong Hybrid – I mean the more you drive in city (B2B or otherwise) the closer the actual mileage will be against the claimed 28 kmpl. Exactly opposite happens with ICE vehicles in city (lets limit to comparable ones). This is because of the technology employed – 60% usage on electric/EV mode. So, the higher mileage is not just some innovation on ICE – it is due to strong hybrid. Hence, the troikas (Honda, Suzuki and Toyota) lobbying with North Block for tax relief/incentive is tenable and should be considered. Read this: As EVs Struggle To Win Indian Hearts, Honda Demands Tax Cut For Hybrid Vehicles (outlookindia.com)

5) Second row of most SUVs in this segment (especially for those who have always used sedans) is a compromise and it is always a point of less claustrophobic or more. If you see the dimension of Hyryder, its is fairly comparable with rest all and I never read in any review that says second row can accommodate three adults easily and has ample head and leg rooms. However, for tall people, this can be a deal breaker unless the back support recline is enough to offset the cramped headroom.

6) Boot space is a dampener, but I think Toyota-MSL were quite wary of that. As suggested by Vidyut, some additional space with optimization can be carved out, but on any given day it will be a compromise.

7) On pricing, I think if partnership with MSL has resulted in perceived compromise in quality of package then it could be a blessing when it comes to pricing. MSL is likely to keep the pricing of smart hybrid competitive even if it means overlap with Brezza (Arena) and XL6 (Nexa). Add some 2-3 lakhs premium over that for strong hybrid. That said, MSL will have more difficulty in positioning Grand Vitara than Toyota in positioning Hyryder. There is a huge space for Toyota to position this car. Given this, Toyota will have limited room to add premium. Prospective MSL customers will have to do a lot of math and brain wrenching to decide between mild vs strong hybrid. For Toyota customers – it should be simple as long as price is competitive. We all have a fair indication of price based on media leaks and guesstimates.

8) On performance, 3 cylinders and NVH – This could definitely dissuade enthusiasts (I am a bit though) – never had any difficulty is cruising at 120-140 kmph on highways (it does not beep also being an old car). I believe all BHPian are enthusiasts albeit at different levels of degree – is it really that difficult to add performance or rather leave performance undiluted in their utter zeal for fuel economy? They should have discussed with VW folks.

To sum up – this is a strong contender – I will certainly “taste” it and then decide whether to bite or wait for them to learn and do course correction in next avatar or model (say HYCROSS).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th October 2022 at 15:21. Reason: Kindly add a translation of any vernacular comments for our broader audience. Thanks.
RRU is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:25   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Manufacturing constraints or a True backlog?

- Up to 6 months of waiting period on upcoming Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder
Could be just PR hype-building IMHO. No data provided to back up the story as well.

Looks like pre-bookings are just about 50% of what Maruti originally expected for this launch of the Grand Vitara. As per a tweet from Hormazd during the unveil, he had heard that the company was targeting 1L pre-orders before launch.

Instead, they have reached around 45k bookings. Toyota hasnt revealed any numbers, but i guess Maruti would call the shots in this scenario. Even though the Hyryder comes first, pricing would be co-decided for both the products.

This may be good news for serious customers. Should translate to more competitive pricing and lesser waiting periods.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 12:06   #131
BHPian

What is the product differentiation between XL6 and Grand Vitara in the Nexa showrooms?

The review repeatedly states the car is best for for 4 people, and obviously misses the third row. It is not an enthusiasts car so it is more focused for the sedate family man. Such a buyer would obviously prefer the XL6 in a Nexa Showroom. A full hybrid engine would perhaps be a premium for the discerning buyer in this category.

The XL6 with this engine combo seems to be more attractive to the Maruti/Nexa buyers to me! So why didn't Maruti go for this engine combo for XL6 instead?

The previous version of S-Cross missed much of the market because of a confused value proposition. You still have people scouting for the 1.6 Diesel as it was a dream car, but Maruti killed the product with the 1.3 Diesel mill.

I am still unable to understand why suddenly giving it a an SUV-ish height and feel will suddenly change the public perspective.

I understand the product from Toyota's POV but not from Maruti's.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th October 2022 at 15:19. Reason: a word
Old 31st August 2022, 12:07   #132
BHPian

For Toyota/ Maruti this launch is really the foundation of the Hybrid story in India, as apparently they want to get away from Diesel's.

There are just a few years for them to encash the hybrid, before it is rolled over by EVs.

If they price the hybrid exorbitantly, and it meets the same fate as the Honda hybrid, then it will not be good for them.

Indian customers are unforgiving and will find the way to value and may ignore Hybrid, if its not priced competitively. That will be a lost opportunity for the motor companies.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 15:53   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
What is the product differentiation between XL6 and Grand Vitara in the Nexa showrooms?
For 1.5L mild hybrid + 6 speed TC ->
Cons: XL6 has no panoramic sunroof and smaller 16 inch wheels. No NCAP rating. So you can keep guessing.
Pros: Less chrome on the front making it look better and 4 adults + 2 kids can sit comfortably. And did I mention it would be at least couple of lakhs cheaper
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 19:29   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review! Very crisp and pointed.

I would.like to know the service interval for the car. Toyota traditionally had a six month services interval. Hope the Hyryder has a 1 year service intervall, subject to mileage cap of course
Old 31st August 2022, 23:32   #135
BHPian

I just visited my local Nexa showroom to look at the Vitara and I came away totally unimpressed with the typical Marutiesque hatchback level of build quality and small cabin size of the car. Doors feel superthin and so does the body. Really disappointing for the expected on road price of Rs. 22 lakh+. To me this looks like another urban "SUV" that I'd not trust to take my family on our dangerous highways with. Funny thing is none of the YouTube reviewers cared to point out this glaring fact.
mpp1 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks