Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 21:42   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDx View Post
Thank you for the great review, as always!
I was curious to know what kind of mechanism Toyota has given to access the spare wheel?
There is a bolt that you access from the boot. You keep rotating the bolt and the tyre drops down. It's like the Innova and Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad47 View Post
This is for hanging small pouches (or bags) as pointed out in another review.
I thought that as well but that small pouch or bag will still move around as it's a loose strap with the hook. Only thing is it will not fall down onto the floor.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 22:38   #47
BHPian

The mini-boot on this SUV will be a deal breaker for many including myself. I cannot use this car to drop or pick-up my family from the airport or take an outstation trip. For a ~20L car, this is unacceptable.

Since it's a Strong-Hybrid, it can't be a performance car so it will always be a "family" car. A family car with a midget boot space is ridiculous. It's ok for a Wagon-R or i10 or Jazz to have tiny boots but a family SUV, even an CSUV, must come with more boot.

I will ignore this "average" build quality Hybrid and consider the 1.5 Petrol Creta / 1.5 Taigun / 1.4 Jeep etc. These cars have better engine and safer than a Brezza with improved FE.
VPJ74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 22:41   #48
BHPian

This strong hybrid is something Toyota should've launched a decade ago. Ever since Prius was around they've improved the tech a lot. But it never made it here. Now by the time this has come, we have already seen EV which seems a better and efficient option. The only reason where this shines is a good petrol car for great efficiency in city drives. But for this case EV's are more efficient and offer better power. If the long drive FE is around any other petrol engine then I'd prefer a turbo petrol for their performance.

Again, the hybrids in more matured market are being offered with turbo engines. I feel really sad when we get to pick one of the things about cars and pay lots of money for the same. My question is, how much this would have changed if they've added a bigger battery and made this into a plug-in? (They are having a resounding success with Rav4 Prime) Or maybe added a better engine like Turbo with battery for better performance. The moment we talk about our wants, the industry talks about shortages of semi conductors and logistic challenges. Or about taxes. Leaving the customers high and dry.
destinykid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 22:42   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
How is the roof liner under the sunroof? Looks quite thin almost a netted fabric like in videos. Won't be of much use during the Indian summer. Also even though they call it panoramic, seems smaller than Creta/Astor.
It's very thin and almost like a shear cloth. Completely useless in blocking light. It's sadly the same in my Kodiaq as well. Dunno why they don't keep a thicker cloth for the sun roof shade in panoramic sunroof cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
That was an electrifying review by two electric Team BHPians:

Vidyut (meaning Electricity)
Eddy (remember Eddy currents)

of a hybrid car with two electric motors: motor and generator.

Now, waiting for Toyota to deliver the electric shock (pricing).
hahaha, this was the funniest post on the thread. It didn't even strike me till I read this. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Most reviewers are saying EV mode range of 1-4 km, so the battery is indeed from Yaris cross 177V 4.3AH.

Sad that the media keep repeating the same, no one ever asked Toyota to clarify, had to question the media's integrity.
We didn't even mention the EV range as it was very evident there are various factors behind the EV range. Previous battery state of charge, if coasting more and if using less throttle. Factors are too many and any pure EV range is academic as battery state is more important to ensure it doesn't drop too low so the system will never try to keep in EV mode for max possible kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrip2008 View Post
Great review- thanks for all the details! Did you get to check out the audio system? Or the app based connected card tech?

I am interested to know how those aspects compare to Brezza.
It's mentioned in the review as well, audio is the same Brezza system and same connectivity. The system even has the same Arkamys tuning.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 22:58   #50
BHPian

A few questions:

1. Does this have a tachometer display ? I did not notice any picture with the RPM display.

2. What is the idling RPM ? Atkinson cycle is supposed to run at higher RPMs for staying in the efficient range. But higher RPMs at idling with a 3 cylinder engine could potentially raise NHV concerns.

3. What is the RPM when running at highway speed of 100 kmpl or higher ? How about NHV at these speeds?
Old 28th August 2022, 23:03   #51
BHPian

This car appears to me a continuation of Toyota’s strategy of offering under-powered, under-featured cars (Toyota Etios, Corolla Altis 1.4D) with the hope that they sell against the assumed bullet-proof Toyota reliability and trustworthy service. Guess the nominal sales figures of these models has not had an impact on Toyota’s India strategy.

The interiors are signature-Maruti (those power window buttons debuted with the Swift in 2005!), the focus continues to remain on fuel efficiency (in a “premium” >20L product) and the boot space is a joke (a B-segment hatchback like the Elite i20 appears to have more space!).

As a new owner of a Kia Seltos 1.4 GDI 7DCT, I don’t have any remorse about not waiting for this launch - guess I’m not the target market!
phoenixash is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 23:09   #52
BHPian

Today we were casually driving in our Kia Seltos Turbo in eco mode, and guess what, the economy came up to 22kmpl. Driving in normal mode on highways gives an economy of 12-15 kmpl and in sports from 7-10 kmpl, but after testing out eco, the figures were 16-22 kmpl!
The Hyryder and Vitara might pull people for economy, but for us enthusiastic people, power matters! And after the economy extraction in eco mode, it is like getting the best of both worlds

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 28th August 2022 at 23:10.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 00:39   #53
BHPian

The thing with Suzuki is that due to their high number of sales outlets, all they have to do, is to get their outlets to sell a few vehicles each to reach the magic number of 10,000 vehicles per month. As per all reviews, the Hyryder-Vitara is a half decent car with no obvious deal breaker. If Suzuki-Toyota can sell the perception that the car is a success, the market will lap it up and the momentum becomes self sustaining. With regards to the one trick pony of Fuel Efficiency, almost every maker and car is a 1-2 trick pony. It all depends on whether the end customer laps up the trick or not.
Carma2017 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 03:10   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
Today we were casually driving in our Kia Seltos Turbo in eco mode, and guess what, the economy came up to 22kmpl. Driving in normal mode on highways gives an economy of 12-15 kmpl and in sports from 7-10 kmpl, but after testing out eco, the figures were 16-22 kmpl!
I would take this with a pinch of salt given you have provided no details on the traffic, the speed etc. Just using the eco mode, which is mostly a throttle sensitivity mapping, would make little to no difference in economy, let alone by a factor for almost 50%!
akhilesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 07:08   #55
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea when test drives are expected to start?

Having been so invested in watching the story of the HyRyder unfold in slow motion like layers of an onion ( why onion ? rula diya - made me cry), I definitely want to conclude with a test ride as the next logical step.

I am no fan of 3 cylinders and NHV, and probably already know my answer. But nevertheless, I must take it to a logical conclusion.

But it has been an interesting learning curve about hybrids.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 07:34   #56
BHPian

Re: 2022 Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
With regards to the one trick pony of Fuel Efficiency, almost every maker and car is a 1-2 trick pony. It all depends on whether the end customer laps up the trick or not.
If that was the case, every Maruti offering would have succeeded. S-Cross is a classic example. And while I will be happy to be proven wrong, I anticipate similar sales charts in the long run for this new offering.

Being in the market myself in the price segment that Hyryder is targeting, I can tell you that this segment is fiercely competitive. The experience offering by the car exceeds the mileage offering. I lean towards GTO's assessment that Maruti as a manufacturer has yet to learn to offer premium offerings.

Does this mean that Hyryder combo will not sell? Absolutely not. But I don't anticipate this car to set charts on fire like Creta/Seltos/XUV7OO did unless Maruti undercuts the pricing by a reasonable margin.

With the pricing of Brezza, it seems unlikely that Maruti will be able to price GV to give it a big price differential advantage. Fingers crossed for pricing now!!!

Last edited by headbanger : 29th August 2022 at 07:40. Reason: Spacing
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 07:53   #57
BANNED

Re: 2022 Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
The experience offering by the car exceeds the mileage offering. I lean towards GTO's assessment that Maruti as a manufacturer has yet to learn to offer premium offerings.

Does this mean that Hyryder combo will not sell? Absolutely not. But I don't anticipate this car to set charts on fire like Creta/Seltos/XUV7OO did unless Maruti undercuts the pricing by a reasonable margin.

With the pricing of Brezza, it seems unlikely that Maruti will be able to price GV to give it a big price differential advantage. Fingers crossed for pricing now!!!
Absolutely agree with your views here. the abundance of shared parts from lower segment offerings like the Baleno and the Brezza that have been included in the Hyryder/Grand Vitara take away the premiumness of the car.
It is not unlike the Koreans' strategy, where they released the Creta/Seltos with premium cabins and the same tricked down to the Venue/Sonet, the same would not have worked the other way around.
Moreover the Maruti's interior fit and finish and quality of materials are still not up to the standards set by the Korean duo.
I too highly doubt that the pricing of the Hyryder/Grand Vitara will undercut the Koreans by a huge margin considering the high prices the Brezza has already set in the market.
Old 29th August 2022, 08:00   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Great review guys.

Pondering on this - Toyota cars (especially in India) end up being the favorite option for taxi operators; and for obvious reasons. This feels and will probably run like a Maruti over the longer run; and given the small boot size, I wonder how this will fare in that market.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 08:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Great review guys.

Pondering on this - Toyota cars (especially in India) end up being the favorite option for taxi operators; and for obvious reasons. This feels and will probably run like a Maruti over the longer run; and given the small boot size, I wonder how this will fare in that market.
I don't think the fleet operators would be interested in this anyways. Given the expected pricing, a Marazzo or even an Ertiga would make much more sense financially. Even if they are, I see no problem with it being a Maruti since that market is clearly not deterred by it. Alto, Eeco, WagonR, Celerio, Dzire and Ertiga are all extremely popular options for taxis
Old 29th August 2022, 08:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
I would take this with a pinch of salt given you have provided no details on the traffic, the speed etc. Just using the eco mode, which is mostly a throttle sensitivity mapping, would make little to no difference in economy, let alone by a factor for almost 50%!
We were on a highway at a stretch where the traffic was less in both eco and normal, but for sport there was a long set of cars and that's where the pick-up took most of my fuel. I got 22 only for a few minutes after filling the tank with petrol, but for most of the time it was ranging between 16-18. Speed was constantly between 80-120 kmph.

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 29th August 2022 at 09:00.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks