Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 00:46   #136
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Is the front seats is as good as Duster or Terrano ? This car ticks all my requirements, just I want to make sure the comfort of the driver seat.
Old 1st September 2022, 07:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

I feel govt should finalise this energy rating system for automobiles and also link GST to their respective stars. Say a car returning over 25kmpl qualifies as a 5 star and hence lower tax bracket. Most of our budget hatches and sub 4m cars too will fall under 3-4 stars and only the full size guzzlers will get taxed higher.

This will be the next big thing after govt brought sub-4m segment.

I feel this is a fair way to incentivise rather than promoting specific technology.
rajshenoy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:27   #138
BHPian

Wow. Total lack of interest here. Toyota and Suzuki have totally lost the plot here. There may be some takers for mild hybrid, but the full hybrid will not have many takers.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:36   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Wow. Total lack of interest here. Toyota and Suzuki have totally lost the plot here. There may be some takers for mild hybrid, but the full hybrid will not have many takers.
Looks like the lull before the storm. Toyota have too much at stake to let the strong hybrid buzz fizzle out. I am expecting things to pick up steam. Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 1st September 2022 at 20:02.
Old 1st September 2022, 19:40   #140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Looks like the lull before the storm. Toyota have too much at stake to let the hybrid buzz fizzle out. I am expecting things to pick up steam. Keeping fingers crossed.
Which one have you booked, Hyryder or GV? or are you too waiting for price reveal?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st September 2022 at 19:57. Reason: typo edited
Old 1st September 2022, 19:47   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Which one have you booked, Hyryder of GV? or are you too waiting for price reveal?
Actually neither. Not fond of 3 cylinder engines. My preference is a 4 cylinder hybrid vehicle, and on a watch out for options to emerge in a year or so.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 1st September 2022 at 19:51.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 21:42   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
For Toyota/ Maruti this launch is really the foundation of the Hybrid story in India, as apparently they want to get away from Diesel's.

There are just a few years for them to encash the hybrid, before it is rolled over by EVs.

If they price the hybrid exorbitantly, and it meets the same fate as the Honda hybrid, then it will not be good for them.

Indian customers are unforgiving and will find the way to value and may ignore Hybrid, if its not priced competitively. That will be a lost opportunity for the motor companies.
I had a opportunity to see the car in flesh when it came to the Nexa showroom for a brief period of time.First of all my trusted SA said this is a car not for enthusiastic people . At first glance the quality is much better than other Nexa cars but still not upto the mark.Also Maruti is feeling the heat for abandoning its diesel's. Hybrid is mainly tuned for efficiency and not for performance. Hope they price it right otherwise it's a sales chart disaster.
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:13   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo_1999 View Post
I had a opportunity to see the car in flesh when it came to the Nexa showroom for a brief period of time.First of all my trusted SA said this is a car not for enthusiastic people . At first glance the quality is much better than other Nexa cars but still not upto the mark.Also Maruti is feeling the heat for abandoning its diesel's. Hybrid is mainly tuned for efficiency and not for performance. Hope they price it right otherwise it's a sales chart disaster.
You have a solid point. Whenever both petrol and diesel options are available, diesels sell at least 2x more than the petrol version. So, if they are able to pull off the hybrid story as an alternative to diesel, it could change the landscape. As for the driving characteristics, the electric motors in the hybrid offer reasonable torque for most situations in our driving conditions.

In a value sensitive mass market, pricing is going to be the key. Otherwise, it could be a lost opportunity (like Honda City hybrid), and all investments that Toyota is doing for indegenizing the hybrid powertrain could be wasted. So they need to be treading the pricing aspects very cautiously, and look at this as a door opener for Hybrids.
Quote:
First of all my trusted SA said this is a car not for enthusiastic people.
I guess the number of people enthusiastic about "kitna deti hai" is far more than the true "enthusiasts".

Last edited by ajayc123 : 2nd September 2022 at 08:23.
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:51   #144
BHPian

Having been an enthusiastic driver (in a different country where the legal speed was at times 140+kmph), I can safely say I am now a toned down “kitna deti hai” driver. Maybe it is the age factor or the Honda City CVT that I drive which has tuned me to be more linear with my driving speeds.

I am a believer in Hybrids and am looking forward to this launch (a 4-cylinder engine would have been brilliant though). I have booked both cars in July. I should say the booking experience with Toyota does leave a lot to be desired which is why I booked the Maruti as a fail-safe. I prefer the Hyryder looks and the brown interiors (personal choice) which is why Toyota is first on my list however the entire sales experience has been underwhelming and Toyota needs to take away lessons from this. I should admit I got two calls from Lanson Toyota - once in error from a calling list and the second time to check if I was selling a used car. A question on when the Hyryder would be delivered meant a quick end to the call. On the contrary, Maruti has been really professional and has kept the engagement up even if nothing seems to be happening on either counter. Have heard great feedback about Toyota but it does seem that the Maruti processes are clearly superior as far as sales go. Or is this because it is a jointly developed product and Maruti has a greater interest in this? Maruti dealers appear the more hungry of the lot for sure.

Given my sedate driving (mostly in the city) and penchant to cruise at 90 on the highways, this car fits the bill mostly. One only hopes the car is not as lame as the sales experience with Toyota.
Audik75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:47   #145
BHPian

Toyota is losing out on the momentum created by the official reviews dropping in on 28th August. They could have announced the pricing a day after the reviews and seen the momentum convert into more bookings for the Hyryder. However, there is no word on when the pricing will be out and when the car will be available in showrooms for everyone to take a look and get a test drive. Sloppy strategy imo
rahil_29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 22:43   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audik75 View Post
... I should say the booking experience with Toyota does leave a lot to be desired ... it does seem that the Maruti processes are clearly superior as far as sales go. Or is this because it is a jointly developed product and Maruti has a greater interest in this? Maruti dealers appear the more hungry of the lot for sure.
No, this is typical Toyota. They expect you to close your eyes and buy an Innova/Crysta for a lot of bucks. If you want anything else, you have to hold their beer.

The engine noise is no surprise. The Etios 1.5l 4-cylinder petrol engine (2NR-FE?) is not particularly silent, and this new 1.5l is a 3-cylinder too. I was hoping it would have the Prius-C drivetrain whose petrol engine specs sounded identical to the petrol Etios', but no.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd September 2022 at 13:26. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 2nd September 2022, 22:49   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahil_29 View Post
Toyota is losing out on the momentum created by the official reviews dropping in on 28th August. They could have announced the pricing a day after the reviews and seen the momentum convert into more bookings for the Hyryder. However, there is no word on when the pricing will be out and when the car will be available in showrooms for everyone to take a look and get a test drive. Sloppy strategy imo
I agree and its annoying to all of us. But there are some rumours abound that maruti and toyota are taking in the feedback and tweaking some of the fit and finish elements reflected negatively during the public displays. If thats the case and they are rectifying those niggles, I would be willing to overlook the delay.
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:42   #148
BHPian

I seriously doubt the manufacturers can address any elements so late in the cycle. Production for the Hyryder supposedly started in early August. I wouldn't give credence to these rumours.
Audik75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:22   #149
BHPian

Well they certainly lost me as a customer. Purchased a Nexon EV dark edition by cancelling my hybrid booking. Cant wait endlessly for Toyota to make up their minds about the pricing. Happy with my decision as its a super silent car with loads of space. Would have definitely waited for the Hyryder if there was some concrete news on the price reveal. The launch of Hybrid is one of the sloppiest I have seen so far. Even Tata’s are better who announce price at the launch.
Palio_2005 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 20:33   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Well they certainly lost me as a customer. Purchased a Nexon EV dark edition by cancelling my hybrid booking
Was there any cancellation charges?I had also made online booking and now seriously thinking of canceling due to the delay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks