Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2022, 16:27   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
That's great. Same variant of ours was booked around 10th July in Gurgaon and as of today, the promised date is around March-April. Booking will be cancelled as the Grand Vitara Alpha+ came home 2 weeks back although it was booked in end of July. No idea how the allotment process is going on.
Quoting my own post as I see many people not getting any confirmation regarding their Hyryder delivery timeline. Since Grand Vitara Hybrid is getting delivered, I don't see why Hyryder cannot be delivered. I can think of only 1 possibility and that could be that Toyota is concentrating more on the Hycross than the Hyryder.
Old 28th December 2022, 16:46   #782
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Hybrid version of Hyryder. Showroom(United Puttur) folks were courteous enough to provide a long test drive including 2-3KM off road. I am pleasantly surprised by the car. Coming from diesel, this one pulls off quite well for 1.5L hybrid. The power mode has enough grunt and the gearbox is pretty good. The usual rubber band effect is vastly reduced. The suspension is brilliant, absorbs bad sections quite well and was fun pushing through corner as well. Is a bit on stiffer side but is comfortable. Steering is well calibrated too, weighs up decently on gaining speed and offers good feedback.

Took for mild off-roading and immediately noticed how composed the car was. Good GC, stiffer suspension and the car crossed most of the section in EV mode. Did take it on incline where there are lose stones, traction control ensured that there was zero tire spin. To compare, my Fortuner and Thar in 2WD mode spins the tire for a moment.

I did not explore any of the features but looked well kitted. Headroom in middle row is average and boot is quite small for the size. Only other negative I noticed was the sunroof cover, could have been of better quality.

Positives

-Fantastic engine tech, not super powerful but will keep most happy. Will be fun driving in city.
- Very well tuned suspension, is fun to drive and at same time comfortable. Great GC to tackle bad roads.
- Well tuned steering weighs up well as you build speed and light enough at parking speed.
-Fantastic Fuel Economy
- Car felt sturdy not featherlight like typical Maruti. Not super heavy either.

Negatives
- Smallish boot, could have been bigger.
- The cabin was getting heated up mostly because of poor roof liner. Headroom at rear for tall passenger can be an issue.

Barring minor negatives, the car has strong fundamentals and future tech, Impressive package to me. For someone looking for a car at 20-25L price range , must check this out before finalizing. Some pictures of the car.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-pxl_20221228_090437670.jpg

Interiors looked decent, though I did not pay much attention

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-pxl_20221228_091616982.jpg

Rear looks quite smart

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-pxl_20221228_091627375.jpg

On road Hyryder actually looks better than Vitara, has lesser chrome.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-pxl_20221228_091632829.jpg

Last edited by PrideRed : 28th December 2022 at 16:49.
PrideRed is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 17:30   #783
BHPian

Hi all. My Speedy Blue/black Hyryder was delivered today. Took it for a short spin and wife who was sceptical fell in love with the car. The interior is well appointed and love the sunroof. The engine is a bit gruff when raised but will smoothen out over time. Fuel economy currently stands at 14 kmpl and will go up with use. Under thigh support could have been a bit better. Will have to go for lumbar support cushion. 360 camera is very useful. One can use it as a lane change camera by pressing the view during drive. Glad I have changed from G to V variant.
Palio_2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 19:09   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I am informed that under the co sharing arrangements MS get 60 pct and TI gets 40 pct of the vehicles.
Sales split between the two are not on those lines. GV is outselling Hyryder by 2.5 times, and it’s numbers are about par with Seltos now.

Quote:
BTW do you have facts which say that MS V is sold mainly in Petrol only version
Based on what I am seeing on the roads + feedback from dealer friends and salespersons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks4077 View Post
Can you please share the links for the videos which say the hyryder is a flop? Would be helpful

So, I had gone to the dealership today regarding my Innova HyCross booking and casually enquired about the Hyryder. The salesperson’s initial response was typical - 6-8 months waiting, no supply, heavy demand for hybrid etc. I said in case we drop the Innova booking, we would like to go for the Hyryder hybrid provided delivery is immediate, that I don’t have to wait again. Here, he sheepishly said that in that case, we would get the first Hyryder that they get and that the delivery will happen within a few days.

My reading continues to be the same. The car is not selling anywhere close to expectations, and the supposed shortages and delivery problems are a deliberate ploy.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th December 2022 at 19:11.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 19:49   #785
Senior - BHPian

Hyryder/GV Strong Hybrid highway performance seems to be mediocre as observed on multi lane highway with gradient. Ok till about 80Kph and after that it seems pretty slow.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 20:10   #786
BHPian

I would take Auto Guru with a bucket load of salt. Bugger doesnt know what he is talking about. Maybe in your area HY may be available soon. Pune is a different story. Anyways enjoy your Hycross and let Toyota worry about Hyryder
Palio_2005 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 20:47   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hyryder/GV Strong Hybrid highway performance seems to be mediocre as observed on multi lane highway with gradient. Ok till about 80Kph and after that it seems pretty slow.
This is what I observed during my test drive as well. After taking delivery, my observation still remains. It is a car for sedate driving and won't win any competitions. However, I believe its main selling point is it being future proof due to the hybrid powertrain. Seeing DPF issues dime a dozen, hybrid is a way to go in my opinion. It does loose out on the thrill aspect.
aadiaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 21:23   #788
BHPian

Most of these YouTube reviewers hardly do any proper research and keep posting such videos. None of them hardly put themselves in a buyer's shoes.

I have been to both Hyryder and Grand Vitara showrooms and have booked Hyryder.

So here are my views

Grand vitara.
1.Most people who are Booking Grand vitara are those who have booked the mild hybrid version. Even guys at Nexa service accepted that ratio of mild to strong hybrid is 70:30.
2. A maruti buyer funds it difficult to buy any maruti car more than 15 LACs. Only those who are die hard maruti buyers and have not bought anything other other maruti , when looking for a diesel replacement are stretching budget to buy a hybrid ones.
3. In Delhi NCR large number of showrooms have ready availablity of strong hybrids.
4. Providing test rides of mild hybrids mainly.
5. Most traditional Maruti buyers like to keep replacing there cars with in 5/6 yrs. So like to buy cheaper cars only.

Hyryder
1. Almost all bookings of Hyryder are of strong hybrids only.
2. People who are looking for Hyryder are taking base price as Rs15 LAC only.
3. Almost none of the showroom has ready delivery of strong hybrids.
4. Providing test rides of strong hybrids mainly.
5. Most traditional Toyota buyers keep their cars for long.
6. Many traditional Toyota buyers are giving Hyryder a miss as they find it to have maruti DNA.

A buyer who is interested to buy mild hybrids will prefer maruti, it will definitely outsell Toyota. Mild hybrids being cheaper.
A Nexa showroom person categorically told me that from January all mild hybrids for both Toyota and Maruti will be manufactured at Maruti plant only. And Toyota will be manufacturing strong hybrids one.
Strong hybrids have too many production constraints. Supply of Battery and drive motor. Limitations of production at Toyota plant.

So i will be more interested in stats of who is selling more strong hybrids before declaring if Hyryder have failed.

Ofcourse Hyryder can still turn out to be failure and the primary reason is pricing only.
Specially with the way Toyota has priced Innova Hycross. People including myself are finding better value in Hycross then Hyryder. Suddenly the Hyryder is now feeling overpriced for what it offers. But if i had to buy a strong hybrid , it has to be from Toyota only. For owning strong hybrid warranty is extremely important. Service personnel working on a hybrid must find out during a service visit about any faults in the functioning of hybrid systems and only then the warranties will come into picture in a timely manner before the vehicle goes out of warranty. I want to check battery, eCVT transmission functioning in every service visit.
This is where I find more comfort in buying a strong hybrid from Toyota only.
A see a typical maruti or a Hyundai service personnel to be only a engine oil, oil filter change guy only. I have never seen any maruti or a Hyundai service centre dedicating geniune time on a vehicle except Motorcraft service centres. Still maruti vehicles report lesser problems then the ones by other manufacturers due to use of simpler technologies only abd no other reason. Most maruti service centres are over worked unlike Toyota. Strong Hybrid technology is probably the first complex technology in use by any maruti vehicle and somehow I don't feel that an average maruti service personnel will either have time or expertise to service such a vehicle in a methodical way.

Strong hybrids will be mostly preferred in cities where diesel vehicles have a shorter span. Finding a good Toyota service centre in major cities will not be a issue.
drsachin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 21:30   #789
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder (Strong Hybrid) makes weird engine noise.

Quote:
This is a brand new vehicle, just a month old. It has done only 700 km till date.
Quote:
There is a loud clatter from the engine bay sounding like a tractor. The car is with the authorised Toyota dealership service centre in Tamil Nadu.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th December 2022 at 21:35.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 00:29   #790

I took delivery of the G variant today, planning to drive down to Pune from Mumbai on Friday. While there are a lot of reviews already, will post my thoughts once I complete the longish drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-whatsapp-image-20221228-23.09.42.jpeg  

zmachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 00:40   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Looks like after Toyota Harrier, we now have Tata Hyryder
tjsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 16:14   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmachine View Post
I took delivery of the G variant today, planning to drive down to Pune from Mumbai on Friday. While there are a lot of reviews already, will post my thoughts once I complete the longish drive.
Would love to know your observations - especially on the following:

1. Ease of overtaking at highway speeds

2. Comfort - over bad patches if you encounter any.

3. NVH while driving in the fast sections

Looking forward to you observations (preferably as a comparison to a similarly priced car)
Old 29th December 2022, 18:59   #793
BHPian

With the pricing reveal of the Hycross, it seemed more value for money for me, so changed my Hyryder G Variant booking to Hycross ZX. Now its a straight fight between Hycross ZX and the XUV700 AX7 P Automatic. Will be taking delivery of whichever comes first.
Old 29th December 2022, 19:05   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

https://Youtu.be/cXYjFxz0mxY

Source
I have observed the similar noise myself. Will observe and revert
Old 29th December 2022, 19:22   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks4077 View Post
With the pricing reveal of the Hycross, it seemed more value for money for me, so changed my Hyryder G Variant booking to Hycross ZX. Now its a straight fight between Hycross ZX and the XUV700 AX7 P Automatic. Will be taking delivery of whichever comes first.
Isn't that a 11lakh+ difference for the hybrid versions in the ex showroom price alone?
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks