Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2023, 18:16   #931
BANNED

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Hi,
Just a few questions.Went to Nexa outlet on OMR to take a look at XL6.The sales man asked us to take a look at the Grand Vitara too.We liked GV for it felt more sturdy and had an impressive stance.The interiors too were slightly better than the XL6.
So looking to upgrade from our hatchback to either the GV (Delta AT) or Toyota Hyryder.(S Neo AT).
1.We are leaving the country in April and will be back only after 6 to 9 months.Should I make a booking in March end,so that I can take delivery once we arrive back in India?
Or Is it prudent to wait?
2.Can some one who owns the Hyryder explain briefly why they chose the Toyota over Maruti GV?
TIA.
Old 6th February 2023, 23:06   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sricar View Post
2.Can some one who owns the Hyryder explain briefly why they chose the Toyota over Maruti GV?
TIA.
I chose the Hyryder mainly because it's their engine. So who would know it better than Toyota themselves?

Also because the GV, at the time of booking, was 50k more.
Cruzn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:07   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Should I make a booking in March end,so that I can take delivery once we arrive back in India?
In my opinion you should wait it out. Hyryder strong hybrid/ grand vitara will be allocated to you much before 6 months in the current scenario (cancellations) . Further, you may get some additional choices.

Honda midsize hybrid SUV will be available by Diwali. If Honda manages to overcome shortcomings of Hyryder/ GV (boot space/ noisy 3 cylinder engine).. it may be a good alternative.

Nissan SUV, Creta facelift etc are also on horizon.

Last edited by baarish84 : 7th February 2023 at 10:08.
baarish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:28   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
Honda midsize hybrid SUV will be available by Diwali. If Honda manages to overcome shortcomings of Hyryder/ GV (boot space/ noisy 3 cylinder engine).. it may be a good alternative.
Honda’s hybrid powertrain is 4 cylinder, as seen on the City. Speaking of alternatives to the Hyryder, the City hybrid is going to be launched in the lower trims along with the facelift. That will bring the price point much closer to the Toyota, with the advantages of more space, better refinement and a cabin which looks and feels a lot nicer.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 12:40   #935

If you have time, pls go through the Hyryder specific posts (60 pages).
This Hyryder V variant is a true, strong-hybrid (the only one in India right now)....meaning you get a totally silent vehicle at lower speeds with extra-ordinary acceleration & mileage.

More importantly, I have driven at speeds above 100 Kmph (Krishnagiri Highway, TN as well as Blr-Hassan highway) and the SUV is indeed totally stable, vibration-less and a bliss as far as comfort is concerned.

Ofcourse, no vehicle is perfect and there are some minor issues to be sorted like installing a sunfilm for all windows/windscreens, replacing horn, blocking-off the sunshade, additional lumbar support..etc

Finally, Toyota servicing is not even a comparison with anyone else!

In-a-nutshell, no one regrets buying a Toyota!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th February 2023 at 13:09. Reason: High-speed reference updated. Thank you!
Prakash Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 18:56   #936
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got an update to their entertainment system? Maruti has done for theirs.

An issue that I noticed on the auto H/L sensor. It gets activated when there is a sudden change in lighting, but if the lighting is over a period of time, that is evening to night, it does not get activated.

The follow me home light still isn't working for the "to home" scenario. "To car" works.

The auto engine off feature is hyper active. Switching it off is the first thing I do after starting car. Thank god they gave the option to switch off.

Apart from that, with the limited, city only driving (max 10km per day), am getting 13kmpl. Driving is a bliss, especially when doing bumper to bumper.
Old 7th February 2023, 19:14   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Just a few questions.Went to Nexa outlet on OMR to take a look at XL6.The sales man asked us to take a look at the Grand Vitara too.We liked GV for it felt more sturdy and had an impressive stance.The interiors too were slightly better than the XL6.
So looking to upgrade from our hatchback to either the GV (Delta AT) or Toyota Hyryder.(S Neo AT).
1.We are leaving the country in April and will be back only after 6 to 9 months.Should I make a booking in March end,so that I can take delivery once we arrive back in India?
Or Is it prudent to wait?
TIA.
Questions: You were looking at a 6 seater(XL6) however looked at 5 seater car (GV) and ready to buy/book one. Why? What made you look for a long car in the first place? Did you check out Kia Carens as well. If a 5 seater car is something you like why did you see only GV and not Creta/Seltos/Kushak..

Answers:
2. GV or Hyryder mild hybrid with neo engine - The whole car is made by Suzuki including the engine. For AT, the 6 speed TC is sourced from Asin. Hence its cheaper for Maruti and a bit expensive for Toyota.

GV or Hyryder strong hybrid - The whole car is made by Suzuki except the TNGA 1.5L 3 cyl engine along with eCVT transmission. They are calling them as critical systems. The Toyota version is cheaper than Suzuki in this case.

Now depending on you brand fascination, looks, after sales in your area you can decide which one to go for.

1. If you are going out for 6-9 months then don't buy. There will lot of new introductions in the market. This will change the pricing, discounts and wait times. Come back and then decide.

Best of luck
Old 8th February 2023, 16:15   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Has anyone got an update to their entertainment system? Maruti has done for theirs.
Got my 10,000 kms service done on 6/2/23. Cost came out to to be a measly Rs. 2134 excluding labour and add-ons.

My dealer claims to have updated the Infotainment System since they had received an upgrade for the same, but haven't tried it out as of yet.
Old 9th February 2023, 13:21   #939
BHPian

I just read "Uttar Pradesh electric vehicle Manufacturing and Mobility Policy 2022" which was passed UP cabinet in October 2022". As per the policy the newly announced subsidies would be applicable to all categories of electric vehicles which includes BEV(Battery electric vehicle), HEV (Strong hybrid electric vehicle), PHEV(Plug in hybrid Electric vehicle), FCEV(Fuel cell electric vehicle). I checked at various dealers in Noida(MG, Toyota,Nexa), no one is aware of any such subsidy scheme in UP.
I read another news report on 10/1/23, that implementation of this policy is delayed because of Global investors Submit in UP, but all those who have brought any electric vehicle in UP after it was passed by the UP cabinet in oct 2022 will recieve refunds(Of road Tax, Registration) straight in the bank accounts.
Has any dealer in UP received any notification from RTO about these subsidies.
Or has any buyer of Electric buyer or strong hybrid vehicle who bought after Oct 2022 received any refunds.

Last edited by drsachin : 9th February 2023 at 13:27.
Old 10th February 2023, 15:08   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket03 View Post
My dealer claims to have updated the Infotainment System since they had received an upgrade for the same, but haven't tried it out as of yet.
What was the update/upgrade? Anything specific?
Old 12th February 2023, 10:02   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
2. GV or Hyryder mild hybrid with neo engine - The whole car is made by Suzuki including the engine. For AT, the 6 speed TC is sourced from Asin. Hence its cheaper for Maruti and a bit expensive for Toyota.

GV or Hyryder strong hybrid - The whole car is made by Suzuki except the TNGA 1.5L 3 cyl engine along with eCVT transmission. They are calling them as critical systems. The Toyota version is cheaper than Suzuki in this case.

1. If you are going out for 6-9 months then don't buy. There will lot of new introductions in the market. This will change the pricing, discounts and wait times. Come back and then decide.

Best of luck
This part is pretty interesting about which manufacturer is manufacturing which car.
We all know both cars (Grand Vitara and Hyryder) are manufactured by Toyota at their bidadi plant till December 2022 that includes both mild and strong hybrids. But a dealer at Nexa showroom confirmed that from January 2023 onwards the mild hybrid Variants of both manufacturers will be manufactured at Maruti plant, while the strong hybrids will continue to be manufactured at Toyota Bidadi plant.
Their is another interesting thing about vehicle identification. I am getting delivery of my Hyryder V-Hybrid strong hybrid within a week. It's a Jan 2023 manufactured car. the VIN number series is straight from Maruti and not Toyota. Maruti uses 17 digit VIN number (11th and 10th digit is Year and month of manufacturing ,while Toyota uses 22 digit VIN number with last 4 digits suggest year and month of manufacturing). The VIN number of Hycross is 22 digit only. The VIN decoder websites also read Hyryder as maruti vehicle only.

So is it possible that the vehicles manufactured at Toyota plants carry Toyota VIN series while those manufactured at Maruti carry Maruti VIN series. So that means even strong hybrids are now being manufactured at Maruti plant only.
Just wanted to know from those who got 2022 manufacturerd strong hybrids about their VIN number. Is it 22 or 17 digit.

Will it affect quality of manufacturing if car is manufactured at Maruti or Toyota plant. Anyway all components except engine in strong hybrids is all from maruti.
drsachin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 10:58   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
This part is pretty interesting about which manufacturer is manufacturing which car.
We all know both cars (Grand Vitara and Hyryder) are manufactured by Toyota at their bidadi plant till December 2022 that includes both mild and strong hybrids. But a dealer at Nexa showroom confirmed that from January 2023 onwards the mild hybrid Variants of both manufacturers will be manufactured at Maruti plant, while the strong hybrids will continue to be manufactured at Toyota Bidadi plant.
This is actually interesting. No media news as yet about it.

Quote:
Their is another interesting thing about vehicle identification.
Can you share the VIN? Our GV Strong Hybrid has a Toyota VIN.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230212_105454.jpg
Old 12th February 2023, 12:41   #943
BHPian

Finally received my S variant after 4 months. Before I mention my experience, I would like to also talk about how I came to this decision. I used to have a 2019 EcoSport AT which I treasured. It was an absolute joy to drive and would never had given it up if it wasn’t for the mileage. With the current rate of petrol and a mileage of 10 km/l, I was spending 10k a month just to fill her up.

I heard about the Taigun having a slightly better mileage and also with the same fun experience, so decided to take a look. I had pretty much decided on the Taigun and doing the test drive was just going to be a formality.
One morning, while my family was getting ready to go for the test drive, I was surfing on YouTube and came across a video for Toyota’s next vehicle. I saw the word ‘Hybrid’ and immediately remembered my experience when I first drove the Prius a few years back in the US. I told my family that we aren’t going anywhere. I decided that I would wait and see how this turned out.

As we all saw, the launch was a disaster with the pricing being so secretive for quite a few days. Nevertheless, I was still adamant about checking the car out.

Pre delivery experience:

I had initially booked the G variant with Nandi Toyota (Banaswadi) on October 10th. After my second test drive on October 20th, I noticed the cabin was warmer than usual. Driving the V variant I realised that the sunroof was the cause. I then decided to downgrade to the S variant. Looking at some of the reviews here, I'm glad I did! Apart from the extra airbags, I don't miss the other features missing between the G and the S variants.

My SA Richard was kind enough to keep me posted on the status periodically. My only concern was selling my EcoSport on time so that I can make the payment as soon as the PDI was done.

The day of the PDI, I received a quote from Spinny but decided to go with Toyota instead so that I could drive in with my EcoSport and drive out with my Hyryder. Unfortunately, that couldn't happen as Toyota's policy was to complete the trade in process before the delivery. This was the only disappointment in my entire experience with Toyota. I just wished I had another day with my EcoSport.

Post Delivery :

Received my car on Feb 5th. Now we’ve all read and watched the reviews, so I’m not going to repeat the same. However I would like to repeat that it is awfully quiet on EV mode. I hadn’t informed my driver and he ended up restarting the car about 4 times before he realised that the car was actually on. Hence, please inform your drivers.

The pros are the same as others have mentioned so will go through some of the cons (some of which have also been mentioned by others) that I’ve noticed so far after 300 km:

The driver door does not close easily. On average both my driver and I take at least 3 attempts to close it. This was something I noticed during my test drives and PDI as well but was told this is normal. Is it though? The other doors are fine but is there a reason that this happens only with the driver’s door?

It’s 2023 and we still see cars with just 2 airbags. We keep reading about how automakers care about their customers. Really Toyota?!?!

Finally, this is in no way a fun car to drive. But I try and make it fun by achieving the best mileage I can on every drive. My driver and I do get some honking and abuses hurled at us once in a while but that’s alright, we still reach our destination safely, on time and with an average mileage of 27.6 km/l.

Haven’t seen a lot of reviews on the S variant, so please feel free to contact me for queries.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-fed84beb81864e6985009e6a41ea4635.jpeg  

Last edited by Cruzn : 12th February 2023 at 12:43.
Cruzn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 09:53   #944

As the car is being manufactured on the same platform as Brezza, is it safe to assume that it is a reasonably safe car (≈ 4 star, as and when tested)?
Old 13th February 2023, 12:22   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
Finally received my S variant after 4 months.
Congrats on the car. I hear that S variant waiting periods have shot up to 1 year, but only for new bookings. For bookings done before 2023 they will still honor the 6 month delivery promise as per my SA.

I saw a video on YouTube recently showing some changes in the Hybrid S variants for 2023. Can you check the following points please?
  • Is Wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay supported in S variant?
  • Is Toyota iConnect feature available in the S variant?
  • Any other changes you have observed from the official 2022 brochure?
  • How many digits in your VIN number?

Most Viewed