Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2023, 13:13   #946
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

I was confirmed on the Hyryder as a replacement to my Corolla and Ecosport since both cars were 10+ years and was a good time to go the hybrid way.

Went to finalize the Hyryder with my dad but came back dropping the plan completely.

The recent price hike means it has crossed 24 lakhs on road. This means it almost same as the Honda City e:HEV. And having done the official review of both, the City was far more superior product than the Hyryder. Better NVH and proper 4 cylinder engine, better rear seat comfort, more premium interiors and it has ADAS additional as well as e-parking brake with auto hold. All this elevates the City above the Hyryder.

However the deal breaker was not just the price.

My dad simply found it uncomfortable to get in and out of. The seat height was perfect and once seated the seats were comfortable with good legroom. But the entry for the feet was too narrow at the back. He could get in but even that needed him to twist his knee a bit more. While getting out his shoe kept getting stuck in the narrow gap between pillar and rear bench. To compound matters the foot well depth from the edge of running board was a lot more than all my other cars. Which means when getting out, you need to lift your legs up a lot more and then twist your foot out.

He just said this was not what he wanted from a 24L car and if it was close to his Corolla level of comfort he would have been ok. The seat comfort was better than the corolla but ingress and egress was not especially egress.

Sad cause it was a perfect car on paper.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th February 2023 at 13:21.
Vid6639 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 21:42   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
Congrats on the car. I hear that S variant waiting periods have shot up to 1 year, but only for new bookings.
Thank you! Yes it has. Along with that there is 50k hike in price as well.
Quote:
Is Wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay supported in S variant?
Yes it is. There is a bit of lag with Google Maps and also when you try to skip songs on Carplay but its not too bad.
Quote:
Is Toyota iConnect feature available in the S variant?
Yes it is but only for Roadside Assistance and scheduling service appointments. In fact I was asked to install the app at the time of delivery. It doesn’t have all the other jazzy stuff like the “Start from Mobile” feature, etc from the V Variant.
Quote:
Any other changes you have observed from the official 2022 brochure?
To be very honest, after downgrading to the S variant, I didn’t really check. I was only sure about the missing sunroof, larger screen and other features from the G variant.
Is there something in particular you are referring to?
Quote:
How many digits in your VIN number?[/list]
Cruzn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 22:34   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Can you share the VIN? Our GV Strong Hybrid has a Toyota VIN.
VIN:MBJUYMM1SPA______(17digits)
Old 13th February 2023, 22:53   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
He just said this was not what he wanted from a 24L car and if it was close to his Corolla level of comfort he would have been ok. The seat comfort was better than the corolla but ingress and egress was not especially egress.
Sedans are definitely more practical options then C-SUVs for back seat comfort unless ofcourse you buy relatively big SUVs such as Safari, Hector, Xuv700.

Although I am getting delivery of Hyryder this week. Whenever I went to the showroom, i always asked this one question" Why did Toyota discontinued Corolla, why did they not launch Corolla in hybrid avtar".

Regarding Honda it's definitely a better product then Hyryder, but couple of things did hold me back. First sedans in C-Segment is a dying species. Thats probably the reason Honda choose to bring City Hybrid through CKD route. Not many are buying Honda city hybrid, the poor sales may force honda to pull the plug on Honda Hybrid anytime. Third the fate of Honda in India doesn't look good. No exciting launches since a long time. They have falling sales not just in India but accross the world. Even Toyota has dwindling sales accross the world due to Electric vehicles phenomenon, still they are far better placed then Honda , and their association with Maruti in India is really rewarding.

Their is no point buying Honda Hybrid if it becomes a niche product. Hybrids do require lots of testing during each service, and Honda service is just not inspiring.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2023 at 14:41. Reason: spacing for readability
drsachin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 07:03   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
VIN:MBJUYMM1SPA______(17digits)

If you go by this link (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)), you'll see that the VIN you've shared is of a Toyota car starting with MBJ. Maruti VIN starts with MA3. So both Hyryder or GV are being manufactured by Toyota at Bidadi factory including your car.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 14th February 2023 at 07:04.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 14:38   #951

Finally got a chance to drive a friend's Hycross V today. It's a completely different experience to my City, loved the super silent nature of the car, was not too loud even when the engine switches on.

One thing I found wierd is that when you do a quick overtake the engine quickly starts and stops only for a few seconds, not sure how much of an impact that'll have on the Battery and the Starter Generator having repeatedly have to start and stop the engine for quick overtakes in the city traffic.

The interiors and exteriors felt well put together, but the boot space as expected was a big disappointment. Thought they now have a piece of flat cladded plastic which makes the rear boot flat instead of a step like structure with the battery in the boot. The rear view camera truly did not belong in a 24L car, was truly disappointing even in reasonably good light. Hoping to see some improvement over here.

Really like the seemlesss transition of the powertrain between the electric and petrol engines with no perceptible jerk or lag even while pushing hard.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2023 at 14:42. Reason: spacing for readability
ReDevil009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:07   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
Is there something in particular you are referring to?
Nothing particular. OEMs usually make minor changes to the features for each model year but these go unnoticed usually. Hence asked. You might discover more changes as you use the car more.
TT-S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 20:26   #953
Senior - BHPian

Toyota i-connect app review

The Hyryder packs in connected car tech for those of you who weren't aware. There's an e-SIM in the vehicle which you can remotely connect to via a Toyota I-Connect mobile application. Having used this app for over a month now, here's what I think of it:

Seamless connection
Having installed the application, you need to register your vehicle by punching in your chassis number and registered mobile number. From thereon the login process is pretty straightforward, and you can unlock it using your phone's finger print sensor as well.

Simple interface
Once logged in, everything is very simple and straightforward. The main functions are right out there, and one doesn't need to enter multiple sub-menus to perform any function or access any information.

Limited features
You can start the motor and switch on the air-con to pre-cool the cabin before setting off, lock the vehicle and switch on the hazard lights for 30 seconds (to locate the vehicle in a parking lot). What's also nice is that it pinpoints the accurate GPS location of the vehicle, and you can also create a geo fence, speed restrictions and driver alerts should you wish to monitor how your chauffeur or someone else is driving your car. Booking service appointments, requesting roadside assistance and notification for service campaigns are some other functions. Strangely, you can't unlock the vehicle, which I think would have been quite useful.

Lack of information

It displays the odometer, fuel level and distance-to-empty. However, I'd have liked if the app showed driving-related information like average fuel economy, journey data and also driving behavior report/analysis (eg hard acceleration, hard braking, etc). Even the health report of the Lithium-ion and the 12V battery would have been nice to know.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot_20230213200038.png

I'd love to know what other owners think and whether they use this app often, and if yes, which is the most used function?

Last edited by S2!!! : 15th February 2023 at 20:28.
S2!!! is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 21:33   #954
BHPian

Re: Toyota i-connect app review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Strangely, you can't unlock the vehicle, which I think would have been quite useful.

Lack of information

It displays the odometer, fuel level and distance-to-empty. However, I'd have liked if the app showed driving-related information like average fuel economy, journey data and also driving behavior report/analysis (eg hard acceleration, hard braking, etc).

I'd love to know what other owners think and whether they use this app often, and if yes, which is the most used function?
The car can be unlocked with the app provided one has locked the car using the app. Appears to be a security consideration for implementing the feature this way.

Agree on the other features - the app is limited but hopefully will improve over time.
Audik75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 00:45   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave547 View Post
The NA stands for 2023 - Jan is what I understood from your post.
This part is not true sir. All hybrid engines manufacturerd for Hyryder till now from both 2022 and 2023 carry NA coding.
You can know manufacturing month/Year from VIN number or Form 22. It's also written on wind shield unless the dealer has removed it. I am getting delivery of V-Hybrid manufactured on 5/1/23-13/1/23 and deliverd to showroom on 23/1/23. All dates mentioned on the wind shield.

As mentioned in one of the post JAN 2023 manufactured car carry PA code as 10th and 11th digit in VIN.
Old 16th February 2023, 00:49   #956
BHPian

Have they increased the prices of accessories too. The list provided by the dealer although mentions " Applicable from 1/oct 2022". But it's atleast 20-30% more than the one mentioned on Toyota Bharat website.
Old 16th February 2023, 22:53   #957
BHPian

Hi guys, found this video on YouTube.
Accident from Gujarat.
Hyundai i20 rear ends SUZUKI Grand vitara.
Youtube Comment section has very varied opinion about the build quality.
What do you guys think?

Posting this here since Grand vitara and hyryder are the same.
Potential owners might find this video helpful.
Thanks.

Sanket299 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 00:53   #958
BHPian

Finally got the delivery of my Hyryder today.
Had booked my Hyryder in Red/Black colour G-Hybrid Variant on 18/11/23 at Espirit Toyota Noida Was waiting eagerly for delivery since my booking. Although the verbal assurance was given for delivery by March 2023 but on booking form, confirmed delivery time was 7/8 months.

In the the mean time we checked a number of Petrol Automatics from XUV700/MG

Hector/Astor/Carens/Seltos/Alcazar/Creta/Kushaq/Slavia/Virtus/Taigun/XL6/Brezza and lastly even Innova Hycross. The list is quite exhaustive as i am spending 20-22LAC and moving from manual to automatic. So I wanted to be 100% sure about which car i wanted. Although no car fulfilled all my criteria, Hyryder came close to fulfilling most of my requirements with least compromises. No car came close to practicality for heavy city users like me. Never considered any electric (BEV) due to concerns of poor charging infrastructure.

Although I had booked Red/Black during recent visits.Last week when i visited my showroom we closely watched both dual tone cars used by showroom for test drive vehicles(Blue/black and Red/black). These test drive vehicles had been in use since October 2022.

Within four months of use the Red/Black shade appeared very dull compared to Blue/Black.Apparently the Red/Black colour appeared good only when newly polished. My family wanted me to buy which ever is available earlier but they now preferred Blue/Black over Red/black. I just hinted the supervisor that we are ready to be a little liberal with colour options if provided with early delivery. The supervisor checked the status in stockyard and came back with the news that a Blue/Black Hyryder is available but in V-Hybrid not G-Hybrid.With the recent price rise all the variants were already dearer by about Rs50000 and addition of another Rs 170000 for V-Hybrid my budget would have increased by Rs 2.5LAC and I was certainly not ready for it. Then to my surprise the supervisor suggested that if i accept the V-Hybrid they are ready to offer it on Jan 2023 rates. So now i am presented with two options either to wait for another 2/3 months for my G-Hybrid Variant or buy V-Hybrid on older rates. I thought may be the dealer is passing on some 2022 stock to me but the supervisor assured it's a Jan 2023 vehicle and recently received by showroom on 23/1/23 only. For all practical purposes the price difference for me was Rs 115000 or even lower in the event of another price rise if i wait for G-Hybrid. Needless to say my family readily accepted the offer without showing any excitement .

I wanted them to either allow me insurance from outside to try to meet the lowest quote available to me from my agent. They agreed for both. I wanted PDI of the vehicle before the payment which was provided on Saturday(11/2/23). After thoroughly checking the vehicle i did full and final payment on Monday (13/2/23). The lowest insurance quote from my agent was Rs 40000/ from Tata AIG(Royal Sundaram quote was even lower at Rs37000 but i preferred Tata AIG). The dealer checked with its own agent but the lowest they could provide was Rs55000 from Bajaj Allianz. They agreed to allow me insurance from outside. I requested them to remove logistics charges also to which they refused saying all Toyota dealers are charging it and it's actually on the instructions of Toyota itself. I further negotiated to include some free accessories such as 3D floor Mat, Mudflap, 3D boot mat which they reluctantly agreed. No other paid accessories were forced on me besides the complimentary ones. The delivery date and time was decided for today(16/2/23) 4pm. I was called again yesterday to the showroom for another final PDI before they send the form 22 for registration. By evening I got the message from Vahan portal containing details of registration number allotted to me and amount received as registeration charges.

Today I messaged them at 12pm, about other accessories i wanted on additional payment.

I reached the showroom at 4pm with my family. In the showroom i was greeted by the Toyota team , a table was reserved for my family with my name plate on it. My daughter was gifted a beautiful teddy bear. A customary cake cutting with family photographs were done. I paid for accessories in cash. I was provided with all the receipts, invoice, insurance, extended warranty certificates. I was explained all Toyota iconnect features.

Later we were taken to another room where my car was ready with all the accessories on it. The car was covered in a red cloth. I removed the red cloth and again the whole family was clicked with the new shinning car. I was given a demo of about 30minutes, explaining all the features. Fuel tank was filled with about 5litres of petrol. And finally after thanking everyone and paying some token tips to Guards and cleaners we drove out of the showroom in my new car. On the way I filled the fuel tank with XP95 petrol at IOL petrol pump, checked tyre pressures as suggested elsewhere in the forum. We did car Pooja and reached home at around 9pm.

Provided some details of package
1. Ex-Showroom price Rs 191900

2. TCS Rs 19190

3. Extended warranty Rs 18771

4. Logistic charges Rs 6250

5. Road tax and registration Rs 194030(Up14), although as per the message from Vahan portal they have received Rs 192500.

6. Insurance from own agent Tata AIG Rs 40554 ( IDV 1823050, includes Zero dep, Engine Protection, Tyre Protection, Key replacement, return to invoice, Loss of personal belongings, emergency transport and hotel expenses, consumables , RSA). So if these i didn't need but they were provided as package by the company.

7. Accessories Rs 8371 includes paid( Door edge Protector, Door Visor premium with chrome SS insert, Body side moulding chrome, rear door lid Garnish, Rear reflector Garnish Chrome) and complimentary (3D floor mats, 3D boot mats, Mudflap).

All in all i am quite happy with my showroom experience at Espirit Toyota Noida. I am quite happy with everyone involved including (Vishwaji, Deepak, Abhinav, Mamta). I would rate them 10/10.

I am expecting a refund of Rs 194030, the registration and road tax by the RTO and may be another Rs 1 lakh as subsidy if am within initial 25000 buyers of BEV, HEV policy announced UP cabinet. As per news reports they are starting refunds sooner.

Attaching Some photographs
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230217_005003.jpg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230217_004801.jpg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img20230216171537.jpg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230217_005459.jpg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th February 2023 at 00:59.
drsachin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 20:55   #959
BHPian

Quote:

6. Insurance from own agent Tata AIG Rs 40554 ( IDV 1823050, includes Zero dep, Engine Protection, Tyre Protection, Key replacement, return to invoice, Loss of personal belongings, emergency transport and hotel expenses, consumables , RSA). So if these i didn't need but they were provided as package by the company.
Congratulations on your new ride. What was the insurance quote provided by the dealer? Since everyone I know including myself paid anywhere between 55k to 63k. You really lucked out with the insurance.

Last edited by mave547 : 18th February 2023 at 20:58. Reason: typo
mave547 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 20:57   #960
BHPian

Quote:
This part is not true sir. All hybrid engines manufacturerd for Hyryder till now

Actually this information was posted and confirmed by other members on this group.

https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....d=38&Itemid=91

Most Viewed