Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 11:51   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki will introduce the Grand Vitara CNG in the Indian market in December 2022.
Isn't this going a bit too overboard by Suzuki India now? Will customers spending 15+ L INR for a premium car, be willing to wait in long queues for CNG? How many % really? Especially given the current CNG Pricing, which doesn't seem to have any reason to come down in near future either.

Maybe I'm wrong - but the configuration in my brain doesn't let me take CNG variant news positively, especially for brand / marques associated with aspirational value since a long time. What next? A Compass CNG?
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:59   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Isn't this going a bit too overboard by Suzuki India now?
I must say, Maruti is trying to provide every possible option to customers. This Vitara CNG variant will certainly find a use case in CNG abundant cities among customers, who aspired to own the Vitara, but are sensitive to running cost (+ initial cost of Hybrid).

I assume that this step may attract 1000+ booking for CNG Vitara, Which is significant volume, knowing the standardization with CNG on Hyryder, Ertiga or possible Brezza.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:15   #408
BHPian

There is a good market of CNG kit fitted cars in Delhi NCR. Every time I visit Maruti Suzuki/ NEXA and Toyota (for Hyryder); could hear the queries from prospective buyers/ visitors to the SA that when the CNG version will arrive, details of CNG kit, they prefer CNG etc. They don't bother about anything- Maruti Suzuki cars+CNG+Karol Bagh accessories= Life sorted.
RijuC is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 13:49   #409
BHPian

Why I didn't go ahead with the Grand Vitara even after being excited for it!

Hi Everyone!

Posting my views on why I didn't go ahead with the Grand Vitara even after booking it before the opening of official bookings. (July 4)

Congratulations to all owners of the newly launched vehicle with fresh and good looks!

TLDR- I absolutely love how amazing the Grand Vitara looks, except the interiors. The price, however, is not justified even in a seller's 2022 market.

I was in the market for a 16L car since quite some time now. Took a look at everything and anything from the boring Koreans filled on (Delhi/NCR) roads to the newbies on the block (Astor, Kushaq, Taigun). Features, Looks, Exclusivity mattered the most to me.

The Astor was closest to get my heart racing (not in terms of driving pleasure) but how well the interiors were put together. However, I did not like its exteriors (big hatch) or engine and it also did have some features missing. So I didn't take the leap of faith here.

In comes the Hyryder - Grand Vitara duo. Excited by the not-so-expected panoramic sunroof during its(Hyryder) launch announcement, I was almost sure I'm going to get this.

It looked great, had a good feature set and was to be exclusive since it was a brand new product. Driving a Baleno, I was happy with the reliability and fuss free ownership of the Japanese.

Although, The quality of the GV is no better than my Baleno except some leather on the dash. The speedometer in mild hybrids was almost the same if not worse (white instead of a fancier blue light setup).

Since, my budget was around 16 L on road Delhi, I would be going for the Zeta/Alpha MT. (Sunroof was a must though) I calculated it would be possible since Creta SX costed around this with almost the same feature set (360 cam was probably the only worthwhile extra). Heck, the Creta S+ Knight gave a well finished Pano sunroof @ 15.5 on road Delhi.

I began my calculations and thought the Alpha variant of Grand Vitara could cost me around 16.5-17 L on road based on Brezza ZXI+ pricing (which already seemed overpriced). There were a few features missing from that like HUD, wireless charging I guess. So 16.5-17 seemed a safe bet.

UTTERLY DISAPPOINTED with the pricing announced. The Koreans seem more Value For Money with their SX and HTX variants. I think everyone makes the mistake of comparing it with higher variants such as SX (O) which is only AT and got a much better centre console, ventilated seats and a digital instrument cluster too.

I was sure I am buying anything but this. Not talking about the test drives experience much in this post.

I was not fixated on the body type and even explored sedans which ultimately took my heart.
Had looked at Slavia and Virtus too upon their launch. Loved the cars, the premiumness etc. The AC issues and high running cost perception primarily kept me away (myths busted soon after). Hated the Honda City. So boring uncle car. Verna was too old.

However, soon read about the issues being solved in the VAG 2.0 cars. Took more test drives and came out satisfied with the AC. Even after all social media complaints, VAG 2.0 cars are much better built than the competition or any Maruti. There were no rattling issues in the Virtus anyway.

Went ahead and took the plunge with the VW Virtus. What a lovely car with that TSI engine, amazing screen and digital cockpit. Got the 1.0 Topline MT for around 16.6L on road Delhi before the October price hike. Won't write much about its experience (except the mileage) so far but totally in love with it. Mileage depends on driving style is pretty clear to me now. I have driven about 1400 kms in Delhi NCR including a 600 kms highway trip. I get 15-16 kmpl in city and 20+ kmpl on highways.
My overall mileage stands at 17 kmpl currently.

I still love how amazing the Grand Vitara looks.

Hope this piece helps someone in some way.

Thank you!
RaiAnish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 23:28   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmystyle07 View Post
Owners of Grand Vitara ? Have you got suzuki connect activated ? If so how long it took to get activated ? I got it delivered 4 days back. When i enter the VIN number to activate, it shows VIN number doesn’t exist in records !!
Your dealer needs to activate the VIN number in the systems which controls the vehicle telematics. It took couple of days for me, just followup with your sales guys they will get it activated.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 08:48   #411

• Apart from the heat (noticeably affects the AC's performance), I need to instal Tinted Film on the on the Sunroof as well as front windscreen, to cut down on heat and prevent harmful UVA and UVB rays.
  • I understand that maximum 35% tint limit is legal. Any suggestions?

• Additionally, I am told that the Sunroof is tempered glass that will shatter in case of an accident, hence the tint-film will prevent this also. For the front wind-screen, I need a film that deflects UV rays without clouding my vision, keep off the sun’s rays, have aesthetic appeal, and is also affordable.

• When abroad, I had done Nano-Ceramic Sunroof Coating with tint. Is it available in India? Where in Bangalore?

Thanks.
Old 12th November 2022, 09:21   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakash Rao View Post
[*]I understand that maximum 35% tint limit is legal. Any suggestions
The limits for VLT is for factory fit glasses. Rule doesn't permit tints or any other material of any VLT on the glasses. Technically, tints of any kind are not allowed. However, we still see many cars with tint films all around us.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 13:01   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Booked the Sigma MT variant.
Got a phone call from the dealer saying my car is in transit, well that was quick will have the PDI and other formalities done in the coming week.

Most of the booking seems to be for the higher variants, hence quick dispatch. Alloy is in stock and decided to get stereo from outside. Sony AX 7000 looks like a good option with inbuilt amplifier and port for subwoofer. Only downside is the 6.95 inch display.

Will keep updating as things start moving.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:51   #414
BHPian

Apologies at the outset for a noob query. If I switched off the idle start/stop function in the 1.5L mild hybrid, will the acceleration assist also get disabled? I have an Ignis, have never driven a Maruti with the so-called mild hybrid battery. Also, is it possible to permanently disable the idle start/stop function by removing the battery?

Last edited by driver52001 : 14th November 2022 at 11:52.
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 20:45   #415

We all have been through situations where you look forward to something, you count the number of days, you dream about what you would be doing when you get there, how you treat the situation, .. etc etc. and in the end it just didn’t happen and it all becomes a huge disappointment.

Well something like that is what has happened to my Grand Vitara booking !

June ‘22
I had to sell my much beloved Global fiesta DCT.

July ‘22
After much slicing and dicing, grand vitara seemed like an option and I booked the car on the very first day. After that it's been a long wait game where maruti / toyota taking their sweet time with announcing price, getting demo car, getting TD car . Each of those delays were a test of patience.

September ‘22
Eventually, the price was announced and having booked the Hybrid, I was disappointed with the 50k premium on ex-showroom ( which will turn out to be 65K difference OTR ). Along with this came the offer of Extended warranty and Accessory. Which equates to a value of 67K (33k for EW, 34 for accessory). Now, I was not happy with the arrangement . 33K for EW, (Toyota comes with 3 years warranty by default and you need to pay just 20K for similar warranty with more coverage on mileage).

That was still fine, but the accessory pack, at least 20 - 25k worth of those accessories, was something that I didn't need in the first place.Why should I take those interior styling kits and exterior chrome bits if I'm not going to use them ? So I did talk to SA and I was told that I could replace those accessories with something I would like to have. For instance, roof rails, which I could use when compared to something like interior styling kits. SA said it's not a problem and they can do that when I take the delivery.

November ‘22
Fast forward, the car arrived and I went for PDI. SA wasn’t there and his manager handled us on that day. All was going fine and I talked about accessories and from there everything was going bad. His manager clearly said on the face that it's not possible and they can’t do anything. When asked about the promise by SA he said it's because SA is not aware of this.
After a lengthy discussion I was told it's decided by the accessory team and they will get back after discussing with them. Waited 24 hrs and no one called back. Up until that point dealership was following up the balance payment, bank details and all that but once this discussion was over, absolute silence!

The response was more like, “This is what we have, take it or leave it”.

For me it didn’t make sense to pay an additional 60,000/- and bring home accessories that I didn't need in the first place. Nor did I have the time to put those on olx and get money so that i could spend it on things i want. So I went ahead and canceled the booking. I also did raise a complaint with Nexa and the only good part that happened with raising complaining was a quick refund of the whole 1,11,000/- .

To sum it up my disappointment is two part

#1. Disappointed with Maruti. Felt like they just wanted to pretend as if they were giving benefits.

#2. Disappointed with the dealer (Indus Motors) on how they handled this. They were at fault for passing on wrong information and they won’t take responsibility for it. So I'm the only one at loss here. Lost my time waiting for something which I wouldn't have waited for in the first place if the price difference is not justified.
antony.henry is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 09:43   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony.henry View Post
We all have been through situations where you look forward to something, you count the number of days, you dream about what you would be doing when you get there, how you treat the situation, .. etc etc. and in the end it just didn’t happen and it all becomes a huge disappointment.

Well something like that is what has happened to my Grand Vitara booking !

June ‘22
I had to sell my much beloved Global fiesta DCT.

July ‘22
After much slicing and dicing, grand vitara seemed like an option and I booked the car on the very first day. After that it's been a long wait game where maruti / toyota taking their sweet time with announcing price, getting demo car, getting TD car . Each of those delays were a test of patience.
I think Nexa is least interested in selling the strong hybrid. I was checking with the SA every week for the TD and after losing patience sent out a strongly worded email (as I have been a maruti customer since 2009). That led to a TD being arranged. During the TD, the SA sits next to me fiddling with the mobile, leaving me to do as I please . The only time he opened his mouth was to tell me where the TD ends and I need to return. Reaching back to the showroom, I was given the pricing chart - no explanations etc. I said thank you, went straight to the Toyota showroom and booked the Hyryder G variant.
sparks4077 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 12:47   #417
Senior - BHPian

Here are some of my impression after driving my Grand Vitara Zeta (AT) mild Hybrid version for around 1600km. Driven around 600 Km on National Highways, rest on small dual carriage state highways and city.

Here is what I Liked in the car :
* Looks are subjective, but somehow I don’t like the excess chrome in the front of the car. The rear looks much better with those sleek looking tail lights
* Commanding driving position, with good all-around visibility
* I feel that the car is put together well by at the Toyota plant in Bidadi. Decent safety package, all Disc Brakes, proper 3 point seat belt for rear middle passenger, 6 Airbags, and the usual ABS & EDB, ESP etc.
* Engine & Transmission – the K-series engine is quite refined and silent. Hard to guess if the car is turned on, couple of time I accidently pressed the start stop button then realised my mistake by looking at the tacho. The Torque convertor AT creeps up nicely once the brakes are released, great for city rides. The performance is smooth but becomes quite lazy at highway speeds above 80kmph due to tall gear ratio setting.
* Suspension setup is quite stiff and it can handle rough roads/potholes with ease. Car did quite well on broken forest roads in Nagarhole reserve forest and some country roads, so far the car has held well no rattles or squeaks
* 210mm ground clearance gives me confidence in doing some mild off-roading without scrapping the bottom
* Decent 9" infotainment system. Had some issues with CarPlay and Android auto due to my inexperience in handling the system.
* Steering feedback and response is good, weighs up nicely as the car gains speed
* Highway manners are confident and it feels quite planted at highway speeds
* Braking performance is reassuring
* Seats are firm and comfortable over long rides
* Service experience - 1st Service was done at 900Km it was just a general check-up, chassis bolt tightening and fluid top-up hence just gave the car along with Valet driver
* Fuel Efficiency - I am a sedate driver and I feel that this car is tuned for efficiency rather than performance. Got 23-24Kmpl on highways at speeds of 75-90Kmpl with full time AC on and 4 occupants on board. 10-13Kmpl in Bangalore city traffic
* Interiors – The Koreans cars offer better looking interiors, but I have no problem with the dark interiors (easier to maintain)

Dislikes:
* Turning radius is a bit higher to my liking, doing a U-turn can be a bit challenging on small roads
* The gearshift lever position (P-R-N-D-M) is difficult to slot especially in the dark as the position indicator is not illuminated, I have to look at the central MID to confirm
* AGS is quite aggressively tuned, as soon as I brake, it shuts down the engine. Quite irritating in bumper to bumper traffic
* Engine performance is quite lethargic once one cross 80km/h
* Low beam LED headlight performance is good but the high beam throw is not that great as per my liking
* Non availability of TPMS is a big miss on this car, Maruti could have at least given it as an accessory
* Sunglass holder does not have any felt lining, sometimes can hear annoying noise of my glasses sliding in it
* Infotainment system- experienced some issues reconnecting to Google maps after stopping and restarting the journey. The android auto maps screen goes blanks and then I have to disconnect the phone to fix it. Not sure whom to blame for this glitch the phone or the infotainment system software or both
* Lack of cooled glovebox which the Brezza also offers
tj123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 19:49   #418
BHPian

Is the engine in the Grand Vitara mild-hybrid identical to the engine that was offered on the outgoing 2022 S-Cross?
Same power at the same RPM, same mileage etc?
Same transmission too in the MT?
Are they identical or similar?
Old 17th November 2022, 21:23   #419
BHPian

Mild Hybrid owners, what is the real world fuel efficiency?
Old 18th November 2022, 11:47   #420

Since the OEM horn on the Grand Vitara as well as the Hyryder is really pathetic, has anyone installed the Hella Pearl Dual Trumpet Horn or the Bosch Symphony Dual Horn Set?
[*]Would be immensely grateful if you explain, how to install (with a 4-pin relay) without wire-cutting and hence prevent warranty void.
[*]Well, I was told by an experienced mechanic that to prevent wire-cutting, we can connect directly to the battery. Since there are two batteries (Viz., main one at the rear and a much smaller, independent one below the boot), which one would be ideal for connecting the new, dual horn?[/list]

Most Viewed