Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2022, 09:52   #466
BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
Would appreciate on what the owners have to say about the battery charging on the hybrids. Been reading a lot about how it doesn’t go up more than 2 bars unless you’re on the highway. I even noticed the same when I test drove the Hyryder twice. It was always on 2 bars.

1) Is this normal?
2) Is there a better way to charge it up whilst in the city?
3) Does it even matter to have it charged all the way up since you end up getting the same mileage anyways?
I've been driving the smart hybrid Alpha Allgrip for about a week now and what I've seen is that the Li-ion battery charges only while decelerating, i e., when you take your foot off the gas, till you slow down to approximately 20 kph. It's reached 4 bars briefly during my commute but generally stays at around 2-3 bars. I've begun to turn off the auto start feature whenever I start my trip in order to allow this battery to charge as much as possible since this is what it is basically used for, apart from giving the car some extra power for a quicker start, I believe.
So see if you too can ease off the gas when going downhill as much as possible, to help with the charging. You'll see an icon come on when this taking place.
Cheers.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 16:11   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently the VIN number of Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid is from Toyota's basket! It starts with MBJ.
Old 4th December 2022, 20:56   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Well this is the very reason that we get mediocre cars at best. When the same Mango Man continues flocking the Maruti and Hyundai or Kia showrooms and doesn't demand the very best what else do we suppose the manufacturers to dump here. If a Skoda or a VW can get a 5 star safety rated car for the same price I see no reason for these leaders to shy away from providing safe cars.

Rest all of their cars are beyond Mango Man affordability anyway.
If so, it's amazing why these cash rich, super intelligent companies cannot do what Maruti has done. It is very naive and elitist to think that Maruti's success is built solely on providing cheap cars. It's much deeper than that which is why these so called great companies find it difficult to unseat it.

Building the trust that Toyota (globally) and Maruti (nationally) have built is no overnight job. Keeping it is even harder. The Mango man is no fool and keeping his trust over such a long period of time is a herculean task. Also over the huge volumes.

Don't be fooled by Tata's first mover advantage on EVs. The Swift and the Brezza have already proved that Maruti strategy trumps this. The Vitara and the Hyryder are already making an impact as sales figures prove.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 4th December 2022 at 21:06.
shibujp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 21:32   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
If so, it's amazing why these cash rich, super intelligent companies cannot do what Maruti has done. It is very naive and elitist to think that Maruti's success is built solely on providing cheap cars. It's much deeper than that which is why these so called great companies find it difficult to unseat it.

Building the trust that Toyota (globally) and Maruti (nationally) have built is no overnight job. Keeping it is even harder. The Mango man is no fool and keeping his trust over such a long period of time is a herculean task. Also over the huge volumes.

Don't be fooled by Tata's first mover advantage on EVs. The Swift and the Brezza have already proved that Maruti strategy trumps this. The Vitara and the Hyryder are already making an impact as sales figures prove.

Drive on,
Shibu.
We all know here that us BHPians are an insignificant number in the Indian market.

So just because something sells doesn't mean everyone who has bought it has done the due diligence. We all know what sells in India. 40%+ market share doesn't mean they make great cars. Even Creta and Seltos bring great numbers but with worse safety ratings than that of Skoda and VW twins. Its really does prove that its not the credentials of car that is the USP but the bling that gets more footfalls. Similarly reason for Maruti may be slightly different but Mango man in India looks at a car though different lens than how buyers in other countries see. Safety isn't even in the list of must haves for most of Mango man and hence sub standard cars from the leaders in the market are dumped on us.

The day we Indians start putting safety as No.1 in the must have list while buying a car the manufacturers will fall in line. Till then these leaders of automobile markets will continue to fleece Mango man with substandard cars.

Even Toyota in India sells these tin boxes called Glanza in India. I am pretty sure they wont be able to sell these in any other country where minimum safety requirements are not met.

Once mango man prioritizes safety and starts looking beyond these market leaders it wont be long before these manufacturers up there ante. The change is happening albeit slowly. From 50% market share to 40% now, With Tata rising to number 3 and Mahindra making cars which can compete with the best - the change is happening for sure.

As Govt' tightens safety norms things are bound to improve.

I am no fan of any of the companies currently in India but like the way Tata and Mahindra have come up. I really thought that the new Skoda's and VW wont meet the stringent NCAP standard but they really did prove me wrong. They put their monies where it mattered and that's the reason the interiors are way bit off their own benchmark. But I have a strong dislike for Maruti and Hyundai who with their current market positioning can really lead the change in India but all they are doing is dumping more of their substandard stuff here rather than providing the international standards they provide elsewhere. Look at the Swift or other Hyundai/Kia sold in other countries. Just because 60% of the market trusts these leaders doesn't mean anything because the product they make is mostly a compromised one. The same product from them are much better elsewhere.

Last edited by nibedk : 4th December 2022 at 21:41.
nibedk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 22:53   #470
BHPian

Quote:

Just because 60% of the market trusts these leaders doesn't mean anything because the product they make is mostly a compromised one. The same product from them are much better elsewhere.
Tell me which company has not compromised in Indian market.
Even I am proud of homegrown companies getting a good market share and launching good competitive products. But they seem to believe they need to sell only cars without providing any good service experience. Is that not a compromise. They might be good on security but are they reliable. Is that not a compromise.
Germans/American companies too launched good products they failed not just because the products were over priced but again they never believed in after sales. Is it what they provide in Ist world countries. Is that not a compromise.

Maruti must have launched tin can cars, but that's what we used to afford in those times. And we knew these were not safe but they were affordable in every possible way and reliable too. They taught us that cars could be used for daily commute too and not just a showpiece to be kept in a Garage to be taken out only on weakeneds. Yes they took customer for a ride and made money and we avoided newer cars for poor reliability/After sales service.
drsachin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 23:52   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
Tell me which company has not compromised in Indian market.
Even I am proud of homegrown companies getting a good market share and launching good competitive products. But they seem to believe they need to sell only cars without providing any good service experience. Is that not a compromise. They might be good on security but are they reliable. Is that not a compromise.
Germans/American companies too launched good products they failed not just because the products were over priced but again they never believed in after sales. Is it what they provide in Ist world countries. Is that not a compromise.

Maruti must have launched tin can cars, but that's what we used to afford in those times. And we knew these were not safe but they were affordable in every possible way and reliable too. They taught us that cars could be used for daily commute too and not just a showpiece to be kept in a Garage to be taken out only on weakeneds. Yes they took customer for a ride and made money and we avoided newer cars for poor reliability/After sales service.
I own a Punto in its 9th year now and touchwood never had a single reliability issue yet. Few years back I had been to a mall and while starting back the car just would not start. It was around 8 in the evening and being in the city there was no panic as I knew if required my family can take a cab.

Cant remember exactly but there was I believe some fuel related error on the dash. I could figure out that this wasn't a battery issue as the car was starting but would die down soon after. Called up the helpline and they were clear that sending a tow truck would not help as I was parked in mall basement. One the truck cant get into mall parking and there is a good chance it would create a traffic pileup near the mall.

They asked me to wait for sometime till they arrange a technician. Being a Sunday evening I wasn't hopeful but a guy arrived in an hour. Opened the bonnet and fixed the pipe which carried the fuel. Voila and the car started in a minute. He had noticed diesel spill which had dried up till back of my car while getting into the mall. He as well checked the battery and found out they were fine. For the first time in my life I was cursing myself for buying a Fiat.

The technician showed me tiny footprints(rat) and mentioned its the rat/rats which did jerk hard enough or tried to bite and pulled out the pipe. He asked to get my parking area cleaned rather than cursing the manufacturer. He mentioned something that I will never forget. He said he has been fixing cars for a long time and gets calls from various manufacturers for such breakdowns. He stated that he has seen cars from every manufacturer breaking down for one reason or the other. Irrespective of the type of failure you are stranded anyway. The only reason we don't get to hear horror stories much from Maruti or Hyundai owners is because the ordeal isn't as bad. The chances of finding a service center near by is way higher and hence lesser heart burn. Its just a perception that has been built over years and has continued. Leaving the upper end of the market (15+ Lacs at that time which has now moved to 20+ lacs now) he rated most manufacturers at par neither better or worse that each other. This is based on the breakdowns that happen within cities on nearby highways. He clearly mentioned that in case of Maruti a owners do call technicians/FNG folks they know and hence we never get to know about such breakdowns. This happens in a lot of Tier 2 cities and smaller towns. Reliability over a longer period of time he rated Toyota ahead of everyone else.

His whole point was to enjoy the ownership as going by the statistics he has from his experience he would rate most economy cars equal with European/American/Korean/Indian etc. built much better than Indianized Suzuki.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 00:31   #472
BHPian

Quote:
I The only reason we don't get to hear horror stories much from Maruti or Hyundai owners is because the ordeal isn't as bad. The chances of finding a service center near by is way higher and hence lesser heart burn. Its just a perception that has been built over years and has continued. Leaving the upper end of the market (15+ Lacs at that time which has now moved to 20+ lacs now) he rated most manufacturers at par neither better or worse that each other. i.
Yes you are lucky that in your case that the cause of breakdown in your case was a easily rectify able one. But not all are as lucky as you are.

My brother in law brought a fiat Palio some time back. He worked in an European company and used to vouch about European build quality. Since his company used to provided him with transport service, his usage was very low and if i remember correctly at the end of 4 years when he was forced to sell his car in a distress sale his mileage read only 25000kms. The car was still in extended warranty but the fiat service people couldn't provide him any solution to a very trivial but distressing issue. His car's fuel gauge stopped working and the service centre tried for almost 6/7 months for the part but in the end refused to help. He finally sold of his car but that could fetch him only 25% of the buying price.

My idea is whenever we buy a car we should buy it from a manufacturer who is ready to provide after sales service for a reasonable life of the car. But barring Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota/Honda none really cares. And unfortunately out of these only Toyota believes in making safe cars so options in front of Indians are not good.
Old 5th December 2022, 00:44   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
Yes you are lucky that in your case that the cause of breakdown in your case was a easily rectify able one. But not all are as lucky as you are.

My brother in law brought a fiat Palio some time back. He worked in an European company and used to vouch about European build quality. Since his company used to provided him with transport service, his usage was very low and if i remember correctly at the end of 4 years when he was forced to sell his car in a distress sale his mileage read only 25000kms. The car was still in extended warranty but the fiat service people couldn't provide him any solution to a very trivial but distressing issue. His car's fuel gauge stopped working and the service centre tried for almost 6/7 months for the part but in the end refused to help. He finally sold of his car but that could fetch him only 25% of the buying price.

My idea is whenever we buy a car we should buy it from a manufacturer who is ready to provide after sales service for a reasonable life of the car. But barring Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota/Honda none really cares. And unfortunately out of these only Toyota believes in making safe cars so options in front of Indians are not good.
Sire! believe you didn't get my point here. The issue in my car anyway wasn't an issue at all. I could have had some bigger issue as well for which might have had to go to the service center. I did go the next weekend to the service center just to make sure the rats had not broken anything else.

The whole point of narrating this story was to elaborate the point he has seen breakdowns for cars from almost every manufacturer and doesn't really believe that they are either better or worse than Suzuki reliability wise.

All I wish is for these very leaders should actually lead in providing good products to start with. This is where I see Tata and Mahindra leading the way. Pity that I haven't yet found anything interesting enough from either one of them to put my money on. Had my eyes on Hexa for a long time and when the need for a bigger vehicle was there Hexa was already discontinued.
Old 5th December 2022, 10:14   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara dispatches falter in November as Chip shortages comes back. December sales too will be affected. Is still in the top 25 bestselling cars of November.

November: 4,433 units

Link
Old 6th December 2022, 11:42   #475
BHPian

Hi,

Don't know if this is the right thread for this post so would request moderators to move/delete if required.

EV vehicles have a long way to go before they become the preferred choice of transport.

Switzerland seems to be mulling on ban on EV vehicles during the winter season dur to shortage of power. It imports a major part of its energy. This could also be true for a lot of other countries.

More details can be found here: https://www.timesnownews.com/mirror-...ticle-96003502
Old 6th December 2022, 11:49   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Grand Vitara dispatches falter in November as Chip shortages comes back.

November: 4,433 units
Damn. And this is after prioritizing GV production over Brezza! Wonder what gives in such a low number. Is it just the chip shortage or even the ambitious pricing too is playing a part?
Old 6th December 2022, 21:42   #477
BHPian

Is there any way of connecting a Bluetooth speaker to the car head unit and use it as the sound source. I have a Bose speaker and was planning to connect if at all it is possible. Maybe the sound quality improves without much fiddling with the stock system.
Old 7th December 2022, 17:43   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara being prioritized in production at TKM facility. (Nov- sales)

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1736
Size:  16.6 KB
Old 9th December 2022, 11:29   #479
BHPian

Grand Vitara Major Acccident

A major accident has been reported for Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Link - https://www.carblogindia.com/maruti-...ajor-accident/

In the link we can see video embedded which raises question on the safety of car and says following point :

- Car was under city limits
- Travelling slow as it was in city
- Damages are more as compared to any safer cars at this speed.
- Airbags did not open so that means the impact was less and damage was more

What I feel about the the accident is :

- Location does not seems to be inside city limits
- Speed was not slow as per city traffic, as its not city some village highway
- We don't know the exact speed

I would like to know the views of fellow bhpians that what do they feel from the images.

Let me put my points on built quality of Grand Vitara and happy to get corrected.

1. Maruti has used thin sheet metal to reduce weight but we cannot say same thing for safety as its been seen in past that how Nissan Magnite despite having very thin metal sheet around scored good safety rating.

2. Maruti has kept the main chassis small and then the bumpers are on extended portions due to which any damage from back or front will impact bumpers more than Tata Nexon

3. Plastic quality seems to be kept thin for cost and weight purpose.

4. We cannot say that cabin safety or overall vehicle safety is compromised as airbags did not open so seems to be there was impact but not majorly on chassis.

Note : - I am an electronics engineer I have only studied Mechanical Engineering in 1st Year so not an expert so I am speaking from my experience and understanding which may be not accurate or correct so please feel free to correct me.
Old 10th December 2022, 18:25   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Apparently the VIN number of Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid is from Toyota's basket! It starts with MBJ.
Name:  IMG_20221210_182138.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  105.4 KB
Toyota VIN on a Maruti!

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-img_20221210_161653.jpg
Tale of 2 brothers!

Grand Vitara Alpha+, Date of booking was 31st July. Delivered today. Replaces the 11 and half year old Honda City.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks