Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2023, 05:58   #1546
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN20CQ5187 View Post
Hi, I have booked the GX variant in chennai and when i enquired about the black plastic cladding around the wheel wells, the SA confirmed that it can be added as an accessory right out of the showroom
The official accessories list does not have that item. It only has a chrome cladding which does not cover the entire arch and I personally did not like it
Old 1st May 2023, 15:37   #1547
BHPian

https://www.telegraphindia.com/amp/b...r/cid/1933501#

Interesting piece of news.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) is looking to receive around 9,000 to 10,000 units of the cross-badged Toyota Innova Hycross annually from Toyota’s plant in Bidadi, MSIL chairman R.C. Bhargava has said.

The cross-badging is part of the Suzuki-Toyota global alliance in 2017. The two companies are sharing technology, with Toyota bringing in its expertise in electric technologies and Suzuki its compact car expertise for joint collaboration in production.

Toyota Kirloskar Motor, however, has stopped taking bookings of the Hycross top variants because of production constraints but the company is under agreement obligations to supply 10,000 units of the Hycross to MSIL annually, said Bhargava.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd May 2023 at 21:56. Reason: Please include a small excerpt for the convenience of other forum users. Thanks
Abhijeetsinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 23:24   #1548

Innova Hycross VX Hybrid ownership review

Thank you Moderators.

Thank you Team BHP Moderators for approving my member request.
For the past three years, I am following Team BHP. Team BHP to a greater extent helped me in understanding some cars I considered buying like, Toyota Urban Cruiser, VW Taigun, Skoda Kushaq, Toyota Hyryder hybrid and Innova Hycross. Like anyone else, am also excited with my new car, and am here to share my car buying experience with you all. Its a long post, am trying to make it as interesting as possible, try to read it full.

Few lines about me

From Salem Tamil Nadu, a software professional working from Bangalore, family into farming and business. All these days till 2020 we were using pre owned cars. Our first car was Toyota Qualis RS - which we bought in 2011; it had 280000 kms when we bought it. We drove it till 390000 kms and sold it off in 2015.

In 2015, we bought a 2008 Type 2 Innova GX which had already clocked 190000 kms, and it has done 260000 kms now as I write this. In the same year, we also bought a 2008 pre-owned Hyundai Santro exclusively for me to learn and get used to driving. It just did 125000 kms and except the engine everything else is a mess.

Toyota...Toyota...Toyota

Owning a Toyota and Hyundai at the same period of time is one enlightening experience every car owner should go through. Collectively with Qualis and Innova we've done 180000 kms. We've done some fantastic family road trips, numerous 2000 kms round trips, so many Bangalore - Salem round trips.
The cars stayed with us in all our happy, not so happy, flat, sad occasions. Honestly I would confess, owning Toyotas all these happy miles is absolutely niggle free and not even once they've failed us. On the other side, Santro started giving trouble and it already started showing age related complications.

When we decided to buy a new car, everyone in the family voted for buying a Toyota for obvious reasons.

Car hunt

When we finally decided to buy a Toyota, we were on a budget which was under 15 Lakhs. The idea was to refurbish Innova GX and replace Santro with a new five seater.

The only choice we had was Toyota Urban Cruiser (Suzuki Brezza), the car had no characteristics of a Toyota, disappointed with product line ups of Toyota, the only pure bred Toyota in front of me was Crysta but budget pulled me away from it.

Not so convinced with UC, we test drove Kushaq 1.0 Ambition and Taigun mid variant MT. Though the ergonomics and seating comfort were miles ahead compared to UC, the 3 Pot 1.0 TSI was jittery. Till you shift to 3rd gear, we cannot expect a settled ride with these engines. For me naturally aspirated 4 Pot Suzuki Engine was more offering smooth and settled ride compared to that of VW's.

Passing cloud

Having no options left, we finally booked Toyota UC back in 2020, finally worked out a year end deal with all the discounts we were getting UC top model MT for 117000 INR On road. Anaamalais Toyota Salem was the only dealer available and we went with them.

The car was due for delivery in Feb 2021, during PDI we found out that the car allotted to us was making clicking sound when the engine idle after racing.
Thank god I'd paid only 60K advance; without much hassle I've to hold my booking for the next lot of vehicles to come. Meanwhile the news about Brezza facelift surfaced and expecting a parallel Toyota model, we've decided to wait for the UC facelift.

Like a cloud it came rained for a while, and like a cloud it passed - The Urban Cruiser.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder

While we were waiting for the facelift of UC, news surfaced around that Toyota was working on a new model and its code named D22. And from then on, I regularly followed updates on the then D22 in Team-BHP. The updates looked usual and normal to me till it was speculated that Hyryder will come paired with Toyota's Hybrid system.

Then, followed Car Care Nut channel, https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCarCareNut and learnt in detail about Toyota hybrid system. The more I watched their videos, the more I started believing that Toyota Hybrid system is an engineering marvel and added to the expectation, we were patiently waiting.

After a long wait, when Hyryder was finally launched in August 2022. The first disappointment was inclusion of sunroof in Hybrid G. I always thought and still thinking, sunroof is just an overrated luxury feature for India.

Second disappointment struck when the prices were revealed. Hybrid G was almost 22L on road and with sunroof, I was not convinced with the price I'd be paying for.

Whats wrong with Hyryder?

S Variant was 18.63L On road, however it lacked some basic features like rear windshield wiper, alloy wheels. Though it felt reasonable for the price somehow was not convinced with S. Toyota created some serious mess with the variants of Hyryder.

Finally with compromises like install 3M CR70 film on sunroof, booked Hybrid G and started waiting for test drives to begin. Then came the day when we test drove Hyryder Hybrid V (the only test drive vehicle available), the initial impressions was: for the price I'm paying, I'm not getting even half the space we use to get in our 2008 Innova.

Second row was compromised with space, though the ride was plush and sophisticated lack of space for well build adult was sub par in Hyryder. Add to it, because of cheap sun roof blind used (probably the cheapest fishing net available), head was radiating inside the cabin. We could clearly feel the cabin was like oven, and AC system working overtime to keep the cabin cool.

I expressed my dislikes to sales assistant, and having no other option still decided to go ahead with Hyryder G. The wait for Hyryrder G with compromises began.

The Arrival of Hycross

While I was waiting for Hyryder, Crysta was stopped. News started surfacing and Autocar India wrote an article about launch of Innova Hycross in 2022 Diwali season.

I called the sales assistant and informed him to put Hyryder booking on hold, he was shocked and tried to convince me. But I decided to wait for Hycross. By the time when Hycross was launched, I was fully familiar with Toyota's hybrid systems and how it drives.

So no question about the engine or the powertrain. The only stopper this time would be the price. Was recovering from the pain Hyryder's price caused this time was not expecting anything less that 33 Lakhs for the mid variant.

Fastened my seat belts and was ready to brace the impact.

Finally the day came in, and Hycross was revealed in India on November 25 2022 (though I was following their Indonesian launch with subtitles). After going through their specifications brochure, it was evident that Toyota did an excellent job in fixing the variants. Out of all, Hycross VX Hybrid was the no non sense variant to me and it ticked all (yes , ALL) my expectations from a car. Next is price.

The very next day, without expecting too much, we cancelled Hyryder booking and booked Hycross VX Hybrid 7S Silver Metallic and wait for price reveal in 2023 January has begun. To shock everyone, in December 2022 Toyota revealed the price of Hybrid models. It was costing me 29.8 On road in Salem which was much less than what I expected. Good job Toyota .

Hycross first impressions and test drive

Finally I witnessed first Hycross in person only on End of January. I had to travel from CV Raman Nagar to Bannerghatta Road Nandi Toyota to see VX hybrid in person.

To be Frank I liked everything about Hycross, the way it looked, the way it was designed, the way the interiors were laid etc. It looked like one complete vehicle for me, especially with so much space for all three seats in offer. However from time to time, I kept hearing complains about plastic quality of Hycross interiors, but was not bothered, as am coming from 2008 Innova its filled with plastics and plastics only.

I was trying to get test drive, but because of so many reasons i couldn't get the test drive of Hycross till I drove our own. Finally the sales assistant said our car is allotted and expected to arrive by March 16th. By this time Toyota already revised the price, and now VX hybrid was costing 30.4 L on road in Salem.

We initiated the process, and everything went in our way finally we go the delivery of Hycross Hybrid VX 7S on 24th March 2023.

How's Hycross?

Our car clocked 2500 kms so far, that includes 2 Bangalore - Salem Highway trips (220 kms one way), one Salem to Trichy Road trip (125 kms one way), one Salem to Karaikkal (Thirunallaru) road trip (250 kms one way).

Most of our members covered the review aspects of Hycross, that helped me in my decision making and am sure it will help you all as well. So I will stick to what I like and what I dislike after these 2500 kms.

What I like about Hycross?

1. Absolutely silent cabin, we are all sedate drivers in our family. When cruising at 85 Kms, we were feeling almost like we are sitting in living room and having a conversation.
2. Space - Thirunallaru trip we did was with 4 adults and a kid, the space in offer for all of us was unmatched by any 7 seater MPVs or SUVs in market.
3. AC - It cools the cabin in no time, the absence of sun roof is really helpful.
4. Looks - seriously. This could easily be the good looking Innova ever release in India. Its looking better than Crysta in an angle.
5. 360 degree çamera assist - Its a useful feature for parking in congested areas. in VX hybrid the camera automatically comes live when manoeuvring tight spaces, its really cool.
6. Ride Quality - Coming from Type 2 Innova, the suspension setup was neither too soft, nor too stiff like in Crysta or Innova. Its well balanced, the engineers found the perfect balance. Our tips so far is not tiring at all. Brilliant Toyota.
7. Boot Space - Even with the third row adjusted fully reclined, we were able to load enough luggages for all of us. I don't think any of the cars in Indian market offers this. Again brilliant use of space.
8. Mileage - When we started our Thirunallaru trip the ODO read, 1808 kms and we did a full tank.
When we reached the fuel station back from Thirunallaru, the ODO read 2334 kms. That was a total of 526 kms. When we refilled, it took 26 Liters for full tank in the same station, same pump. That extracted the mileage of 20.2 km/l

This included 140 KMs (round) from Chidambaram to Thirunallaru with almost no road. This was awesome.

9. Toyota Service - Premium service experience at Anaamalais Toyota Salem which we experienced so far with our Innova, is continuing with Hycross as well. Good job guys.
10. Auto Headlights - convenient and works like charm. Good job here as well.
11. Cost per km - If driven light footed, WE can get 5.1 to 5.5 Rupees per KM which is brilliant for the car of its size.
12. Resale value of Toyota - Like anything, Cars also gets older. But so far with our experience, Toyota age slow and it gives you best return when they get older. Hoping for the same with Hycross.

What Could be better in Hycross?

1. Window control switches are not backlit. on a 32 Lakh rupees vehicle, this is a blunder I would say.
2. I was liking the chrome windows beeding accessory, however the beeding doesn't cover the rear quarter glass and its only for windows. I had to cancel that.
3. Fit and finish of some of the accessories were not perfect. Pain of buying a newly launched vehicle. We had to replace some of the accessories because of these complaints. And Toyota did it with smile in their face. Again kudos to Toyota.
4. OEM Car cover - In one word its the worst and sub par in quality. And Toyota was charging whooping 5500 for it. Those who are living close to the proximity of Salem, try Nilgiris 4 Roads Car cover. Their best of the line variant is only 4500 INR, and they take measurement of the vehicle and offer tailor made covers. Its perfect for our car.
5. 7D Mat - The 7d Mat offered by dealer doesn't offer any cushioning for the feet. Its like drive on top of hard rock. Need to use shoes or add additional cushion.
6. No Apple car play - Wired Android auto is there and its working well, but at least i couldn't find apple car play. If not there, its a huge miss.
7. Toyota I Connect - Sometime is confusing and creating panic by sending notifications like car is not locked. Need some improvements.
8. Bluetooth - Seriously guys. This needs an upgrade. Auto connect is not working at all. I have to delete the paired device and re pair again to get it working. Seriously guys?

Other than these minor niggles, its all good so far.

Verdict

I'm happy with my buy, and it's all Toyota: right from platform, engine and drive train.

Sometimes, we have to wait longer than usual to get what we feel is the best. As a fanboy of and loyal customer of Toyota, I had to wait for three years to get Hycross which feels so far so good. So try to delay your car buying process. Digest all the information thats thrown at us and enjoy the process. After all its our money and its our happiness.

Thank you for reading fellow BHPians. Happy motoring and wish me luck .

Note from Support: Your post contains several grammatical errors and typos. Kindly proof-read your posts before submitting. Kindly go through Posting Guidelines to familiarise yourself with the rules. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd May 2023 at 08:02. Reason: Typos, post formatting
SKDrives is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:10   #1549
BHPian

Re: Innova Hycross VX Hybrid ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKDrives View Post
6. No Apple car play - Wired Andriod auto is there and its working well, but at least i couldn't find apple car play. If not there, its a huge miss.
I own HyCross VX 8S. Music system has wired Apple Car Play. Connect your iPhone to USB-A port via good quality MFI certified cable (which can do data sync to a PC). iPhone will be detected and Apple Car Play option will be highlighted in the music system.

I am using a Duracell MFI certified cable - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gladiatort1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:28   #1550
BHPian

I am back with a short update on my recent trip to Ganpatipule from Pune (around 700 kms distance covered).

This is different than by earlier set of trip updates in this thread as this time:
i) we were 5-7 adults in the Hycross,
ii) there was a fair amount of luggage (around 5-6 large & medium bags),
iii) there was lot of hill and mountain driving with the adults and luggage,
iv) and decent amount of travel on bad roads.

TL,DR: The car, sorry, MPV, performs really well.

Route which I took was as follows: Pune to Karad to Malkapur to Ganpatipule (bypassed Hathkhamba and Ratnagiri). Roads are really good except the last patch of 10kms to our resort and it really tested out the ground clearance and suspension of the MPV.

Driving experience was like a car (which is why, I made the deliberate "mistake" of calling it as a car instead of an MPV), effortless to steer and drive.
The engine pulls really well even with all onboard and in winding roads (ghats).
The suspension is also sorted, but since my last update on the front suspension being a little firm than the rear, I can confirm that it is the same even in my current trip, so not much improvement there.

On the bit of off-roading experience: This MPV is not exactly a bad off-roader, but it definitely isn't one (neither is my expectation from it to be one). I cleared all inclines and ramps with ease and nowhere did the Hycross bottom out.
We weren't very happy with the way the road was permeating inside the cabin as we were at low speed, but the body roll was minimal, so that was a plus.

Overall, my Hycross is really getting tested in all the conditions and I am happy to see it perform very good in most of the scenarios.

I think it will return 16-17 kmpl as we had many moments of short trips in ghats as well as AC usage only without driving as it was very hot.
turbospooler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:26   #1551
ike
BHPian

I visited the only Toyota dealer in the city I live(Nippon Toyota Thrissur) to check out the Hycross and get a TD if available. Maybe everybody in the dealership was really busy or perhaps I did not look like someone who would buy a Toyota. Nobody spoke to me or asked what I want. Zero interaction. I was in the dealership for some time(around 15 mins) and checked out the Hycross and the Fortuner all on my own. Booked the Harrier without TDing the Hycross. I had big expectations from Toyota maybe, having read about their customer service and attitude.
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 18:15   #1552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I visited the only Toyota dealer in the city I live(Nippon Toyota Thrissur) to check out the Hycross and get a TD if available. Maybe everybody in the dealership was really busy or perhaps I did not look like someone who would buy a Toyota. Nobody spoke to me or asked what I want. Zero interaction. I was in the dealership for some time(around 15 mins) and checked out the Hycross and the Fortuner all on my own. Booked the Harrier without TDing the Hycross. I had big expectations from Toyota maybe, having read about their customer service and attitude.
I am not saying you are making a mistake but you could end up with the wrong vehicle just because the salesman \ showroom did not have the time to attend to you on that particular day. A car would stay with you for a long time (usually) and this is not the way you strike one off your list, it would be a grave mistake.

Car purchase has changed a lot now, you need to purchase it rather than expect them to sell it to you.
Kosfactor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 01:12   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
There is a massive backlog of hycross bookings so it could be that they aren't very interested in chasing walk-in bookings anymore.

I have taken delivery of my Hycross from the same dealership and it was a very pleasant experience. They had no problem letting me drive the hycross and even invited me to an off-roading event where they let me and my dad go wild on a brand new fortuner. If you want, I can dm the number of the salesman who sold me my car. Trust me, as someone who had previously almost taken delivery of a Safari, the Harrier doesn't even come close to the Hycross.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 06:34   #1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatort1000 View Post
I own HyCross VX 8S. Music system has wired Apple Car Play. Connect your iPhone to USB-A port via good quality MFI certified cable (which can do data sync to a PC). iPhone will be detected and Apple Car Play option will be highlighted in the music system.

I am using a Duracell MFI certified cable - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Let me try that brother, will update you if it works.
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:36   #1555
BHPian

My ZX(O) has 280Km on the odo, with a mileage of 8.3 Kmpl. I thought it would be much higher. To be fair, it's been parked with the AC on but not for a prolonged period of time.

Does it take time for the mileage to stabilize?
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:40   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthy View Post
My ZX(O) has 280Km on the odo, with a mileage of 8.3 Kmpl. I thought it would be much higher. To be fair, it's been parked with the AC on but not for a prolonged period of time.

Thats really low. When parked, with the AC on, it is moslty on EV and switches to petrol on and off.

My VX has clocked 2000kms and I have been getting upwards of 15kms/L

One thing I noticed after the 1st service at 1000kms is that it is now running more on petrol and less on EV. I dont mind that. But still getting above 15.
beejay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:00   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthy View Post

Yup I’ve noticed the same that the mileage number drops quite fast when the car is parked and using Ac from time to time. It does switch between EV and petrol on its own.

I guess it’s natural that the number drops as there is only so much that can be run on ev with the car parked
sanketdesai82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:22   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatort1000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKDrives View Post
Let me try that brother, will update you if it works.
Adding on to this, when you connect the cable for the first time, you will get a message on your iphone asking you for permissions to access the phone. Accept them and then it will ask you if you want to use wireless carplay with this car. Enable that too and you don't have to connect the wire anymore.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0959.png

Also, you need to connect via the USB-A port below the gear lever. The USB-C port is only for charging I think.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 15:48   #1559
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
There is a massive backlog of hycross bookings so it could be that they aren't very interested in chasing walk-in bookings anymore.
Well then maybe it's time to stop accepting more bookings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I have taken delivery of my Hycross from the same dealership and it was a very pleasant experience. They had no problem letting me drive the hycross .
Can't uncook the goose now, Que sera sera.
Old 3rd May 2023, 18:10   #1560
BHPian

As per V3 Cars, Toyota has increased Hycross Hybrid prices by 27,000/- rupees effective May 2023.

Can someone confirm if this is indeed true ? This will be damper to already not so happy journey in getting car.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-hycross.jpg  

Last edited by woodstock3001 : 3rd May 2023 at 18:10. Reason: Date added
woodstock3001 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks