Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2023, 17:25   #1576
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Thanks. I'm learning towards getting the OE fog lights installed by the Toyota dealer. From Indonesian videos on YouTube, it looks like the installation of fog lights is not straightforward as the wiring and other electrical work. Plus to amalji's point, I don't want to risk warranty related issues.

Cresterk, let us know if you replace your headlight bulbs. I may also do that.
Old 6th May 2023, 21:56   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Been more than a week with the Hycross and loving the driving experience so far.

I have mostly been driving it in eco mode but it's still decently powerful even on the highways. Even on smaller roads, I don't notice the speed its doing until the 80kmph chime. The steering is light but very precise. Even lighter than my i20's electric power steering but heavier than the citroen C5 which remains the lightest steering I have used. Turn off Lane departure assist and go wild on curvy hill roads. It handles pretty well, you can take repeatedly take turns without touching the brakes and even change directions on a dime without any drama and minimal body roll. Clearly, the shift to monocoque and EPS have their advantages.

Amusingly, I have had several crystas and first gen innovas driving aggressively around me. I didn't realise the first gen innovas were also doing it until I noticed the way some of them were jerking as the driver slammed through gears to keep up. They don't cut me off but they do accelerate quite hard next to me just to brake hard at traffic ahead. Tempting but I'm trying to keep the needle within Eco range atleast until the break in period and first service is over

Brakes too are pretty good. You get decently sized disc brakes on all wheels and the brakes are very responsive. There is no play in the brake pedal like we are used to with normal cars. Just touching the brakes immediately increases regen braking which can be modulated with the pedal and feels very similar to regular braking. Push the pedal harder and the actual brakes also kick in. It's not possible to feel when the switch happens, but since the car is brand new, there is a slight squeak as the brake pads engage. Toyota has done a lot of work to keep the driving feel as close to a regular car as possible.

Similarly, it's not possible to tell from inside when the switch from electric motor to engine and back happens unless you either look at the MID or you are paying a lot of attention. The switchover and acceleration is quite seamless and very linear no matter whether its the motor, engine or a combination of both driving the car. Toyota is called the king of hybrids abroad for a reason.

Noise insulation is another thing I hadn't noticed while driving the dealership test drive cars because I was mostly flooring it or the AC was set too high. The sounds of dogs barking, people yelling etc are immediately cut off when you close the door. It's not enough to silence the noise of the goodyear triplemax 2 tyres that the car came shod with though. Will upgrade to michelin primacys the moment it's worn out.

Speaking of noise, the ventilated seats get very loud, especially on the highest setting. This is not the tech used in the landcruiser or toyotas abroad. I think this might be part of the sharing exercise with Maruti since the foreign "Innova Zenix" doesn't get this feature.

The powered trunk too is loud when operating, even with the beeps they have clearly added to mask the noise.

Headlights are not impressive as I described in an earlier post. Light output is not that good and with hotspots and darkzones and high beams only light up a small section on the right hand side. I also miss the adaptive cornering lights of the i20 when I take U-turns or smaller intersections in the dark as the car is literally driving into a patch of darkness. Auto highbeams work very well and it can recognize cars, bikes, scooters, oddly designed trucks and buses etc from street lamps or other lights. Even on curves or hills, it dims or switches to brights faster than I normally could all without having to take my hands off the steering in the middle of a turn. You can override it temporarily by just using the stalk. This is one feature I'm very happy with.

ADAS works decent enough and I'm happy that they gave dedicated buttons for it right on the steering wheels so you can easily toggle adaptive cruise control or lane trace assist or change set speeds without fiddling around with a stalk behind the wheel. Needs a long 3 lane highway trip before I can use it properly though.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0852.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0906.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0757.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0943.jpg

On a recent beach trip. Dog takes every opportunity to jump into the ventilated front seats when parked.

Last edited by Cresterk : 6th May 2023 at 22:02.
Cresterk is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 08:56   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post

I also wanted to change the headlight LEDs if possible. The throw is terrible with random hotspots and dark patches and the light output is okay but nothing great. In the rain, it is like driving with the headlights off. Also, switching to brights feels like only the right side high beam turned on. I had to go out and check whether the left side high beams were working or not.

The mid tier aftermarket LEDs I put in my i20 projectors are way brighter and provide a much more uniform throw which I find hilarious. Performance goes down in the rain but it doesn't make you feel that you are driving blind.
I would also be interested in making this change. Please let me know as you find options and the final selection you made. Would certainly help me out as well
sanketdesai82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 12:01   #1579
BHPian

Apparently Toyota has yet again increased the prices of the Hycross hybrid variants by 27,000:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230507_120418.jpg

Link to the news article:
https://www.91wheels.com/news/toyota...ke-may23-price
Yes

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 07:08.
LazyDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 16:46   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijeetsinha View Post
Anyone has any suggestions for a good dashcam
I have got the 700 Mai A800S (front and rear) from Amazon along with the installation kit.
Got it installed from a local dealer since Nandi Toyota refused to install it even for a price.

Overall I am quite satisfied. It seems to work well. Quality is good.

True quality and worth of such devices is usually only found when the need arises - and I hope that day never comes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyDriver View Post
Apparently Toyota has yet again increased the prices of the Hycross hybrid variants by 27,000.
Link to the news article:
https://www.91wheels.com/news/toyota...ke-may23-price
Yes
So for the VX 8S that would work out to a 1.02 lacs increase from the 24.06 lacs launch price. Pretty steep within 6 months of launch.
Old 8th May 2023, 13:59   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Is the Maruti Suzuki version of Innova Hycross called the Engage?
I am seeing rumors over the internet for the past 2 weeks.
Old 8th May 2023, 14:47   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone else randomly get notifications on their phone about something being left in the rear seat? I have nothing in the back but it keeps sending me this. I tried turning rear seat reminder in the MID but it still sends reminders to my phone.
Was following up on this issue with Service. Per TKM, the MID setting is only for disabling the notification that pops up on MID, not in iConnect app. Logic seems to be bit skewed.
Old 8th May 2023, 18:45   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Which brand is the mat? Where did you buy it from?
Old 8th May 2023, 23:52   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Which brand is the mat? Where did you buy it from?
It’s Toyota’s rear tray accessory. I also got another one with their 7d mats so I improvised by laying them both side by side. Still looking for a large pet friendly mat.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 10:27   #1585

I had booked ZXO Hycross at Nandi Toyota, Hosur road, Blore on 05 Dec.
The update on 07 Mar was that I was 99th on the list.
Yesterday they updated me saying that I am 114th on the list. How is this even possible??

When questioned, I got response that 99 was at branch level and 114 is at the level of entire nandi toyota. I am not feeling great about how these guys are operating?

I am sharing this here to see if anyone else has similar experience as well.
Venkad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 12:13   #1586
BHPian

I’ve had an awful experience with HotCar while ordering mats from them. They sent me mats for a 7 seater while I had specifically called them and messaged them (and their SMS reads so and delivery receipt also reads so) for 8 seated mats.

Obviously the mats are not fitting well (in the second and third row specifically).

But HotCar refuses to acknowledge this stating I don’t know to lay the mats. Ow they are (obviously) not answering the phone or WhatsApp messages. Goes without saying I’ve sent them pics and videos as also the label on the mat showing it’s 7S.

Anyone has connects at HotCar and/ or advise what can I do?
Old 9th May 2023, 12:37   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkad View Post
I had booked ZXO Hycross at Nandi Toyota, Hosur road, Blore on 05 Dec.
The update on 07 Mar was that I was 99th on the list.
Yesterday they updated me saying that I am 114th on the list. How is this even possible??

When questioned, I got response that 99 was at branch level and 114 is at the level of entire nandi toyota. I am not feeling great about how these guys are operating?

I am sharing this here to see if anyone else has similar experience as well.
Did you make your booking through Toyota online portal or through dealership agent?
Old 9th May 2023, 12:54   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Got the door side mouldings installed yesterday from the dealership. Only took 10-15 mins for installation.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1291.jpg

Pros:
1. Breaks up the bulk of the doors and makes the vehicle looks less bloated from the side.
2 Makes the undersized tyres appear slightly larger.

Cons:
1. Questionable quality.
2. There are slight gaps on the edges and if you look closely you can tell it's nowhere close to factory fitment.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1296.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1297.jpg

For comparison, here is the side mouldings on my 8 year old i20 which came with them installed from the factory:

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1298.jpg

Also, recorded some decent mileage driving back from Thrissur:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1286.jpg

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 07:09.
Cresterk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 14:27   #1589

Is there still anyone left who booked in November 2022, a ZX(o) and still has not received delivery. i am planning to take this black-marketing, lack of price protection and non-transparent mechanism to courts. So i would appreciate experiences and detailed insights from all those suffering in this regard.

Will help substantiate the issue.

Relevant Details that will be helpful -

1.) Booking ID -
2.) Date of Booking (as per you, i.e. when you made payment) -
3.) Date of Booking as per toyota or dealer ( if different) -
4.) Dealership -
5.) Contact Person @ Dealership -
6.) Estimated Delivery time informed to you at time of booking -
7.) Delivery time told to you now -
8.) Model -
9.) Reason for delay -

** Please let me know if you would like me to shift this to a different thread altogether**
ak_DL9C is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 18:17   #1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_DL9C View Post
Is there still anyone left who booked in November 2022, a ZX(o) and still has not received delivery. i am planning to take this black-marketing, lack of price protection and non-transparent mechanism to courts. So i would appreciate experiences and detailed insights from all those suffering in this regard.

Will help substantiate the issue.

Relevant Details that will be helpful -

1.) Booking ID -
2.) Date of Booking (as per you, i.e. when you made payment) -
3.) Date of Booking as per toyota or dealer ( if different) -
4.) Dealership -
5.) Contact Person @ Dealership -
6.) Estimated Delivery time informed to you at time of booking -
7.) Delivery time told to you now -
8.) Model -
9.) Reason for delay -

** Please let me know if you would like me to shift this to a different thread altogether**
Hi ak_DL9C,

This is my first post on TeamBHP. Having been through several insightful threads on the car buying experience and ownership reviews posted by the esteemed members of this community over the last few years, I finally applied for membership of this community after I booked the Innova Hycross. One of the primary reasons for joining this community was to post what I thought would be an enriching experience of purchasing a product from the one of the most "customer centric" brands in India. However, my experience with Toyota since booking the vehicle has been disastrous.

I booked a Blackish Ageha Glass Flake Innova Hycross ZX(O) from the Madhuban Toyota dealership in Bandra on 28th November 2022. I was assured delivery by March 2023. In a span of 6 months since booking, my booking has been assigned to three different sales executives who had three things in common - zero communication from their end, non-commital responses after repeated follow-ups and consistent false assurances. I was informed that the dealership receives their allocations on the 6th of every month. Having been promised delivery by March, I have been judiciously calling them on the 7th of every month for the last 3 months but not only have I not received an allocation till date but also I have been given a new position in the que which never adds up as per the allocations for the previous months. I have written to Toyota regarding the same but the complaint was just redirected to the dealership which lead to no action whatsoever.

To top this all, I personally know a couple of individuals with "the right connections" who have been able to source the ZX and ZX(O) models in a week's time from booking to delivery. Seeing this happen while I have 50,000 rupees lying at the dealership for six months combined with two price hikes (pushing the car's price up by ~3%) and no price protection has made me loose faith in the way in which the entire process is being run. I am glad someone is standing up against this sadistic joke being played on commoners who think there is a level playing field. I will be sharing the details requested by you in a personal message.
Observant_0509 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed