Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2023, 22:50   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I have been patiently waiting till the first service is done to do an initial ownership report but I just drove 100kms combined today, first alone and then with 7 people on board and I'm feeling pretty happy with the car so I just had to share with my fellow enthusiasts and owners.
I got rather carried away typing out the crysta encounter yesterday so I didn't get the time to talk about the second half of the day, when the car was fully loaded with 7 people on board including me, the driver.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1571.jpg

Here it is with 2 people in the middle captain's seats and 3 people in the 3rd row. Both front seats are empty. I wanted to check out whether it would squat down like in that one picture that was posted here where it was fully loaded. I couldn't notice any difference in the rear stance but the car was standing still on gravel so I'm not sure if that plays a part.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1292.jpg
Here is the car while it is empty for comparison. Note : I have flipped the image so it is easier to compare.

With the weight of 7 people on board, I could definitely feel a difference in regenerative braking. The car was now coasting much further and the actual brakes would kick in a lot more when slowing down. You can tell when the actual brakes pads have kicked in by looking at the Eco Meter which will be pushed all the way to the end of the 'charging zone' and will not move further even when pushing the brakes down further.

Courtesy of Kerala's uneven terrain, I had to go up a rather steep climb and then stop before reaching the top because of an intersection. The hycross didn't have any trouble going up and didn't have any trouble starting off after coming to a complete stop either. Hill hold assist kicked in automatically when I lifted off the brake pedal and the car stayed in place and pressing the accelerator pushed it forward smoothly. No sudden jerks, everything was smooth and controlled and there was no unnecessary revving even with the extra weight which was pleasantly surprising.

I understand this was a rather short climb but I'm going to take it to Munnar next month and I will update here on how it does on a proper hill climb.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1502.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1503.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1325.jpg

Another thing to talk about is the stance and wheels from the side. I must say, the wheels don't feel as undersized as I had initially thought when I first saw it in the Indonesian press reveal where it was wearing the modellista bodykit which extends the bumpers down further. It is a size smaller than competing crossovers such as the XUV700 or Tata Safari but it doesn't look bad either.

Would bigger tyres have been nicer? Yes.
Are the current tyres so small that I want to upgrade them to something bigger? No.

So I have shelved my plans to upgrade the tyres to a thicker sidewall to increase the overall diameter. Besides, it will lead to the wheel speed sensors being uncalibrated and I don't want to screw up all the ADAS calculations nor the handling which is pretty damn good for an MPV. It's not like I'm going to go offroad in this thing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinikalantri View Post
We know that many of us were able to snag a Hycross much earlier than others. A lot of Nov bookings still seem to be waiting.

Those who did get one early, what did you do?

Pay extra
Knew/Am someone important
Dealer was family/friend
Just lucky
Something else
I booked mine on November on the first day of bookings opening. I don't know if I would be considered 'early' since the Hycross went through a price hike and a Kerala road tax hike before I got mine in April. I didn't pay anything extra over the official price list. I didn't know anyone important, I just made my booking online through official toyota website. Maybe I got lucky with the salesman assigned to me. I had told him straight up that I had booked at another dealership too and I will take delivery of whichever one arrives first.

Last edited by Cresterk : 22nd May 2023 at 22:53.
Cresterk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 22:58   #1667

I am sorry. Toyota allots to the dealer not the customer. My bad. In my case Madhuban gets allotment. They then allot to customers across their 3 or 4 showrooms in Mumbai. You are correct.

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:45. Reason: Typos.
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:25   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Going to take my ZXo for first service (1000kms) today. I got a call telling me to move up my time slot to earlier in the day because apparently it will take 3 hours to inspect the hybrid system. I agreed but I'm not sure what they are going to do with the car for 3 whole hours.

How was first service experience for everyone else?
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:58   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Going to take my ZXo for first service (1000kms) today. I got a call telling me to move up my time slot to earlier in the day because apparently it will take 3 hours to inspect the hybrid system. I agreed but I'm not sure what they are going to do with the car for 3 whole hours.

Mine was picked from my home and given back towards the end of the day. Costed me 6.6k inclusive of gloss Underbody Coating and Water Based and gloss Silencer Coating. As I wasn’t in town, not sure what these were.

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:46. Reason: Typos.
Old 23rd May 2023, 14:14   #1670
BHPian

Surprising to see that Toyota has mentioned a significant time for first service.

My first service at one month (250km on the odo) was as bland as it could be.

Drove there. Waited. Got it checked in / inspected. They told I was in the queue and it would take a couple of hours. Sure enough, it was done.

They didn’t do anything. Just did some standard checks and cleaning.

Cost me zero rupees.
Old 23rd May 2023, 20:21   #1671
BHPian

I Booked Hycross ZX solid white on 2nd December 2022 through Wasan Toyota Mumbai even before the car was launched. I have not received my booking number till date. After patiently waiting for more than 5 months I called Mr. Anthony from Wasan Toyota enquiring about my booking number and tentative delivery month. He enlightened me about the super high demands of their world class product and how lucky I am to even book the vehicle because Toyota has stopped taking booking for their top end models.
Mr. Anthony assured me that he will pull up my booking details and call back in 2 hours. As expected I never got a call from him or anyother sales representative from Wasan Toyota. I called them after 2 days (saturday) and he had the audacity to say that he will provide me the booking details on Monday. Today is Tuesday and no surprise I am still waiting for them to get free and share my booking number. The only thing they did is to create a whatsapp group with 3 other employees. I am yet to receive a text in that newly created group.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Akib Khan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 21:45   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Surprising to see that Toyota has mentioned a significant time for first service.

My first service at one month (250km on the odo) was as bland as it could be.

Drove there. Waited. Got it checked in / inspected. They told I was in the queue and it would take a couple of hours. Sure enough, it was done.

They didn’t do anything. Just did some standard checks and cleaning.

Cost me zero rupees.
There wasn't much queuing for me. I had arrived at the scheduled time and they started working on the car in 10-15 mins. I asked them why they needed 3 hours and apparently Toyota was being very thorough while inspecting the hybrid system which is understandable since it'a a new model. They went through a fairly large checklist which included collecting a bunch of data while driving it.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_5355.jpg

It was a good experience. Very polite and well trained staff, nice waiting area and they were pretty efficient. I asked them not to wash it because it was ceramic coated and they complied. Even got to meet their technical head to answer some queries I had. Got the KeyFob controlled windows + sunroof open and close features mentioned in the manual activated. They had never done that before but they were willing to listen and find out how to do it instead of just brushing it off which meant quite a lot to me. Funny how a feature that was introduced by Skoda/VW and was basically considered their trademark by the media / owners is no longer available in their new 2.0 products but is now available in a Toyota which generally had a reputation of having no features.

Didn't have to pay anything and got the car back on estimated time. Was a decent experience overall.

Edit:
Adding on to this: I feel the regenerative braking has now increased when you lift off the accelerator pedal. Might lead to some increase in range. Steering seems to have become even lighter.

Last edited by Cresterk : 23rd May 2023 at 22:12. Reason: Forgot to add some observations
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 05:31   #1673
BHPian

Got the call yesterday . Someone isn’t able to take delivery of a hycross ZXO, and I can take it!! Only downer is that I am on a vacation and have to wait 2 weeks till I can get back.

I have a few questions.

1. Should I take the extended warranty? Does it cost different if I take it later?

2. What are your views of the service package (smiles?)

3. Insurance - Toyota vs direct. I think there is a big cost difference. Are there any implications? (Longer zero dep with Toyota)

Any other tip, things I should be looking out for?
Old 24th May 2023, 08:04   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
I have a few questions.

1. Should I take the extended warranty? Does it cost different if I take it later?
Warranty can be taken any time, the cost increases as the age of vehicle increases. This was the warranty cost brochure I received in April.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20230524075812586_com.google.android.apps.docsedit.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EW Active model-Price list as on 2023 (1).pdf (788.9 KB, 173 views)
jthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 10:17   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They went through a fairly large checklist which included collecting a bunch of data while driving it.
This sort of paper based checklist needs to stop. Now someone has to enter this data into their system and there is a chance for error when you do this, which will skew the data. Its a waste of time double logging data too.

Quote:
Funny how a feature that was introduced by Skoda/VW and was basically considered their trademark by the media / owners is no longer available in their new 2.0 products but is now available in a Toyota which generally had a reputation of having no features.
Toyota are still slow or should I say cautious with anything new. A feature on a Euro car will likely take a few years before it lands on a Toyota.
Old 24th May 2023, 11:17   #1676

Anyone who booked a VX(O) model from Ravindu Bangalore received their vehicles?
Old 24th May 2023, 12:03   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the call yesterday . Someone isn’t able to take delivery of a hycross ZXO, and I can take it!! Only downer is that I am on a vacation and have to wait 2 weeks till I can get back.

I have a few questions.

2. What are your views of the service package (smiles?)

3. Insurance - Toyota vs direct. I think there is a big cost difference. Are there any implications? (Longer zero dep with Toyota)

Any other tip, things I should be looking out for?
Finally, congratulations!

1. Get the extended warranty if you plan to keep it beyond 3 years, it's a new product so best to be on the safe side.

2. It's very cheap so go for it. You are getting 3 services for the cost of one.

3. It's much cheaper to get insurance from outside. You can switch to toyota insurance later when you renew. Only real advantage I saw with toyota was that they cover rat damages, any kind of tyre and alloy damage along with no spot survey required + you can get cashless settlement at any Toyota dealer throughtout India which is essential for a car that will be used for touring.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 13:11   #1678

The ridiculous price of new cars and spare parts is largely due to the taxes imposed by Govt. manufacturer Margins are wafer thin due to which the Car Co's take the end user for a royal ride. As the adage goes "jab sarkaar bane byapari tab praja bane bhikari" which loosely translates to " when Govt starts running the country as a business the common man becomes a beggar".
Old 24th May 2023, 15:18   #1679

Quote:

It went well for me. No cost. I had clocked just over 1k. I would have loved to go to the service center and watch the work being done, but couldn't, so had to opt for a pick up from home and drop.

Do tell us how the window open using the key fob can be made to work.

Overall, I have only good things to say about the vehicle. The mileage is 16.5-17kmpl, which is good but can be better I guess. I try to do a lot of coasting, but I have not been able to get a 20+ figure on the MID. One grouse I have is about the quality of plastics - there has been a lot said about it in this forum already. For me, it can be seen in the number of scratches already on the armrest console adjacent to the seatbelt buckle.
Old 25th May 2023, 01:13   #1680
BHPian

Finally, got a call from the dealer today that one ZX(O) is available for delivery in 24 hours but Sparkling Black color instead of my booked Ageha Black. I gave go ahead. Taking EW for 5Y/1L Kms. as well. Insurance quoted is absurd at 1.65Lacs. Will be taking it on my own. Will cancel my other booking post delivery as well.

Most Viewed