Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:02   #436
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTracker View Post
Also electric motors provide instant torque which would be very handy on uphill climbs.
And since motors dont depend on air pressure so high elevation driving won’t rob the engine of any power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Attachment 2398963

There are the power numbers and technical specs for both petrol and hybrid variants. And yeah, I don't think the hybrid version will have any problems on hills or overtakes due to instant availability of max torque from 0 rpm.
Issue here would be how & when the electric motor kicks in. Since electronics are involved its not sure that electric motor would kick in every time to provide torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
I Came across 2 YouTube videos that gives some answers to burning questions, in the absence of any real world figures.

The below video gives a quick comparison between diesel and hybrid. There is also a section on how it handles mountainous terrain.
https://Youtu.be/XuvfRmZA-38

Someone needs to create a similar video in India. They have covered up majority of issues but the high elevation driving was covered was done on an empty stretch while we know how people drive in India (sudden breaking, wrong side driving etc.) Only real world Indian driving would provide answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
New Innova HyCross Pricelist - Meerut (U.P.)
P.S. - Are these Logistic charges still valid?
Dealers and their ways of looting. While there are no specific pricing for pearl white in the Bangalore or Delhi but this one charges a premium of Rs. 9500. I would suggest you to look for prices in Delhi, a member has posted the price list in post #347 of this thread.

There should be a class action on companies & dealerships across for forcing essential kits & logistics charges.

There's a post on Grandvitara thread where during PDI, Nexa's manager didn't budge from forcing the additional accessories and finally the member cancelled his booking.
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:08   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Anyone who buys the non-hybrid regular petrol, please do so after a lot of thought. I recently bought a turbo-petrol SUV and it gives me 5 - 6 kmpl in the city. The Innova Hycross non-hybrid will be the same. Drive it hard in a pedal-to-the-metal manner and you'll faint seeing the FE .

I don't think regular petrols will ever succeed in big MPVs & SUVs in India. They need either a good hybrid or turbo-diesel.

One of the reasons that the Innova Hycross has a relatively small 52L fuel tank (in such a big car!!!) is to prevent "full tank shock" at the petrol pump. 6 kmpl means a range of <300 km before you need to fill up, and that will cost you well over 5000 bucks.

The market for diesels in big UVs will continue for a long time to come. The only alternative is hybrid. You have to have either, and I give a pat on the back to Toyota for betting on hybrids. I love hybrids! Although, it's only their city FE which is good....highway FE is ordinary.
Sad to see India going the US way, head over heels behind SUVs. I understand that the bad road quality in many cases makes people wish for something more macho or rugged, but the fact is, India needs more efficient cars, like station wagons, instead of jacked up hatchbacks pretending to be SUVs and highly overspecced SUVs which give low mileages (entirely understandable though!). European spec station wagons have much lower ground clearances, but if European carmakers can jack up hatchbacks, jacking up station wagons should be a rather trivial exercise. Many in India end up buying diesel SUVs even if their driving requirements fall well short of minimums which make diesel vehicles practical in the first place.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:22   #438
BHPian

I had booked ZX(o), blackish Ageha Hycross after 4 days of booking opening and the pricing fortunately hasn't placed it outside my budget. My requirement was primarily to travel long distances in comfort along with my family which includes my 3+ year old as well as parents who are 75+ years of age. Can anyone tell what will be the ingress, egress comfort in this compared to say Ertiga? I watched (almost) all the reviews of Hycross but none specifically talked about ingress, egress from elderly's perspective. I have seen reviews where they do talk about it from a very generic perspective, and coming from young and tall reviewers it doesn't help much.

I did visit the showroom to have a look at Hycross but didn't take family along because of rush. It did appear that the seat hight from ground was lesser than Crysta's but am not sure by how much. My mom can't ingress in a Crysta on her own but finds Ertiga seat hight comfotable. With some difficulty she can manage Carnival's front seat as well, the rear ones are too out of reach for her.
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:44   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
Someone needs to create a similar video in India. They have covered up majority of issues but the high elevation driving was covered was done on an empty stretch while we know how people drive in India (sudden breaking, wrong side driving etc.) Only real world Indian driving would provide answers.
That’s where the comparison with a known quantity ( 2.4L D AT ) would help. From the video, the 2.4 D AT did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and 60-100 took 15 seconds whereas the hybrid did it in 5.5 seconds and 11 seconds respectively under similar conditions.
So if 2.4 D AT can do it, we can confidently say that the hybrid can handle it as the low end and mid range torque delivery is at least as good or better than the 2.4 D AT.

I do agree that High altitude driving ( where air is noticeably thinner) is not covered, but it is a specific requirement and many may not even have a need for it.
careind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:07   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issue here would be how & when the electric motor kicks in. Since electronics are involved its not sure that electric motor would kick in every time to provide torque.
The electric motor is what primarily drives the car. There are two motors, one connected to the engine which works as both engine starter as well as generator along with another motor connected to the battery which provides power to the wheels as well as recharges the battery on braking.

By default the engine is used only for charging the batteries and providing power for accessories and the second motor. It is only when extra power is needed that the e-cvt provides engine torque to the wheel.
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:24   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post

I did visit the showroom to have a look at Hycross but didn't take family along because of rush. It did appear that the seat hight from ground was lesser than Crysta's but am not sure by how much. My mom can't ingress in a Crysta on her own but finds Ertiga seat hight comfotable. With some difficulty she can manage Carnival's front seat as well, the rear ones are too out of reach for her.
Well this aspect was addressed in the Autocar video review. He mentions that as this is a Monocoque construction, the floor height is much lower than its predecessor (Crysta) which has a higher floor due to the ladder frame underneath it.
So ingress and egress should be much easier for seniors.

(See the video around the 7:30 mark)

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd January 2023 at 19:26.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:34   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I do agree that High altitude driving ( where air is noticeably thinner) is not covered, but it is a specific requirement and many may not even have a need for it.
It will be reasonable to expect the hybrid to perform better than the turbodiesel. The electric motor provides full torque right from zero rpm, and this electric torque remains unaffected by the thin air.

Petrol engines in general are well suited to sub zero temperatures. Spark ignition means morning cold starts are an easy affair and the fuel itself does not freeze as easily.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:44   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well this aspect was addressed in the Autocar video review. He mentions that as this is a Monocoque construction, the floor height is much lower than its predecessor (Crysta) which has a higher floor due to the ladder frame underneath it.
So ingress and egress should be much easier for seniors.
https://Youtu.be/yQaY3kPX5c0

(See the video around the 7:30 mark)
Thanks Behemoth, I have seen this video. The gentleman is simply stating the obvious. Hycross being monocoque has to be lower than Crysta, but the real question is by how much. Remember she can't enter Crysta. I know she has to try and find it out by herself but comparision with cars with really easy ingress would have helped more. Purpose of these reviews is to help the buyer take a decision but they are more empathetic to young users needs.
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:56   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
New Innova HyCross Pricelist - Meerut (U.P.)
P.S. - Are these Logistic charges still valid?
Surprised to see that the 2.7GX AT is also available in the HyCross. My understanding was that Toyota had discontinued the 2.7 Petrol Motor completely, is that not the case?
Old 2nd January 2023, 20:10   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Can't say it for whole of India but in North India 9/10 of these cars would be visiting either Himachal or Uttrakhand, in the first long weekend their owners get post getting the car.

Quote:
The electric motor is what primarily drives the car. There are two motors, one connected to the engine which works as both engine starter as well as generator along with another motor connected to the battery which provides power to the wheels as well as recharges the battery on braking.

By default the engine is used only for charging the batteries and providing power for accessories and the second motor. It is only when extra power is needed that the e-cvt provides engine torque to the wheel.
This video explains to a great extent what you have mentioned.

CA Dhruv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 21:06   #446
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I recently bought a turbo-petrol SUV and it gives me 5 - 6 kmpl in the city. ............highway FE is ordinary.
I am a little surprised by your choice, considering you are well aware of the fact that diesel is less priced and provides better mileage
(in fact, took this from your earlier post ).

Actually, I had considered recommending diesel, but you had already decided on the fuel choice at that point.
Old 2nd January 2023, 21:23   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Surprised to see that the 2.7GX AT is also available in the HyCross. My understanding was that Toyota had discontinued the 2.7 Petrol Motor completely, is that not the case?
2.7 is definitely a typo on dealer's part. There is no mention of 2.0 GX variant mentioned anywhere in that price list, so we can safely assume it is 2.0 and not 2.7.
Old 3rd January 2023, 01:44   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't say it for whole of India but in North India 9/10 of these cars would be visiting either Himachal or Uttrakhand, in the first long weekend their owners get post getting the car.

This video explains to a great extent what you have mentioned.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=XFVd_fCiO88

That video barely goes into any technical detail, this will help you understand better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid...ve#Power_flows

It will be just fine on hills, mountains etc since by default the engine runs on atkinson cycle. Less mileage but power should be same-ish since it can revert back to otto-cycle to reduce the effect of low air density.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 03:10   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is not true at all. Electronic motor is not the primary propulsion medium and neither is the engine. Toyota Hybrid can work as a series hybrid or a parallel hybrid or can run on engine alone or on battery alone.
Old 3rd January 2023, 03:14   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This is not true at all. Electronic motor is not the primary propulsion medium and neither is the engine. Toyota Hybrid can work as a series hybrid or a parallel hybrid or can run on engine alone or on battery alone.

I meant the electric motor will be working at almost all times, instead of the engine working normally and the electric motor only kicking in to provide a small boost when needed like the mild hybrids most people are used to here.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks