Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2023, 14:16   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
and followed by a lot of international models like the Voxy and Noah.
Not arguing regarding the ergonomics, cause I love dash/column mounted gearlevers in anything that is not even remotely sporty.

But in the Noah/Voxy there is much usable storage spaces, that the Hycross dashboard does look like it wastes space.

This is the phone holder area near the gearlever.
Name:  phone holder closed.JPG
Views: 1250
Size:  31.4 KB

The same phone hlder without cover showing the USB ports.
Name:  phone holder open.JPG
Views: 1210
Size:  17.4 KB

The pullout tray with cupholders below the gearlever.
Name:  Pull out tray.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  22.0 KB

Large storage bin between the seats
Name:  centre console bin.JPG
Views: 1263
Size:  27.2 KB

A closed storage bin behind it.
Name:  closed storage centre console.JPG
Views: 1247
Size:  33.9 KB

Individual arm rests
Name:  individual arm rests.JPG
Views: 1211
Size:  23.9 KB

Not regarding the centre console area, but another area which shows the Noah/Voxy storage options. Already the shelf in front of the passenger is bigger and wider than the Hycross, add to that there is another closed storage area on top of the dashboard.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-storage-above-passenger-side-shelf.jpg

In comparison, the Hycross just pales. Just two square cupholders, space inside the armrest box, a decent but thin shelf in front of the passenger and two pull out cupholders in front of the side A/C vents, which I am not to sure will last long if used regularly, unlike the carved out upholders in the Noah/ Voxy.

Of course, have to agree that the Hycross will have been surely be built to a lesser price point than the Noah/Voxy.

Pics: Screenshots taken from YouTube channels; Driver's High Channel and Plant Moon Rider.

Last edited by DicKy : 13th January 2023 at 14:22.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 14:58   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Not arguing regarding the ergonomics, cause I love dash/column mounted gearlevers in anything that is not even remotely sporty.

But in the Noah/Voxy there is much usable storage spaces, that the Hycross dashboard does look like it wastes space.

I think the hycross has the battery laid down horizontally across that space under both drivers and co-passenger's seats so it is understandable.
Old 13th January 2023, 15:15   #528
BHPian

Quote:

The SA at Nippon Eenchakal said it will be on display on the 15th of this month. Didn't Kochi have the display vehicles for a couple of days near new year?
The vehicle was on display for 1 day each in Nippon and Kairali (23rd and 24th Dec respectively). I had gone for the unveil at Nippon.

My SA insists that both display and test drive vehicles will be available only after the 28th of Jan
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 00:19   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher View Post
Awesome detailed review as usual-thanks. Looks like another blockbuster from Toyota yet again.

Only have one question. How does the drive feel when the car is fully loaded and on an uphill track? There is a significant reduction in torque compared to diesel Crysta-hence this question?
Just saw an Indonesian comparison of Diesel vs Hybrid Innova. All doubts of how the Hybrid would perform with full load in hilly areas are now gone. With subtitles (in English), I could understand that they were satisfied and some claimed it was "powerful". Hycross definitely sounds like it will more pleasure to drive when compared with Crysta.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20230113234241775_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Please check this video:
jthomas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 10:05   #530
BHPian

Quote:
3. The gear lever is so ergonomically places you wonder why everyone didn't keep it there.
The dash-mounted lever gives it a taxi car vibe. I don't think this placement suits a premium car. The CR-V had it on the dash in the previous gen and they too moved it back to where it belongs in the latest generation.

I'm still inclined towards the much cleaner dashboard of Crysta where the ICE was not sticking out from the dash and the steering looks more contemporary.
viren83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 09:38   #531
BHPian

Visited the Auto Expo and experienced the Hycross first hand.

With a heavy heart called up SA to cancel my booking. Family not willing to spend near 35L for this level of interiors.
AlokJain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:29   #532
Senior - BHPian

Different variants of Hycross at the Auto Expo - Link

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102605_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102622_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102631_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102640_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102648_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102658_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102711_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102721_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102729_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-smartselect_20230116102737_instagram.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:57   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokJain View Post

With a heavy heart called up SA to cancel my booking. Family not willing to spend near 35L for this level of interiors.

I am in the similar boat but have not cancelled the booking for a simple thought - "Is this the new normal" (considering 1) inflation across the board 2) supply chain issues plaguing the auto industry)?
Maybe there is a margin of 50K - 1L built into pricing as Toyota may not want to increase the prices in its first year and considering string of news about car price hikes in recent weeks - is this what one should now expect in the 35L package wrt reliability and luxury ?

DISCLAIMER: I am neither knowledgeable in market forces / economics nor am I (yet) a car aficionado.
PragRunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 18:01   #534
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Alok

Which variant have you booked and which is the variant you compared it with at the Auto Expo while making your decision? As I understand there is no VX on display there?

Also, do you believe that the interior quality is degraded from the current Innova Crysta?

Thanks!
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 23:41   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragRunner View Post
I am in the similar boat but have not cancelled the booking for a simple thought - "Is this the new normal" (considering 1) inflation across the board 2) supply chain issues plaguing the auto industry)?
Maybe there is a margin of 50K - 1L built into pricing as Toyota may not want to increase the prices in its first year and considering string of news about car price hikes in recent weeks - is this what one should now expect in the 35L package wrt reliability and luxury ?
I have a suspicion that you're spot on. This probably indeed is a new normal in general, and considering that Crysta top end was 26.77 ex-sh, just short by 2.2 lacs of hycross top end, it was an old normal for Toyota specifically. Not an extremely high premium to pay for a more future proof vehicle compared to Crysta diesel. XUV 700 top end is 24.95, I know it's orange and apple, but just comparing top end variants means you are playing at that price range. Sky rocketing used car market hasn't helped prices either and margin in top ends are usually much higher than entry levels.

All in all, yes it indeed pinches, but there are no alternatives in that segment. I am dead sure that couple of years down the line these prices may not look that expensive, atleast for Toyota models.
BlueJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 09:55   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Hi Alok

Which variant have you booked and which is the variant you compared it with at the Auto Expo while making your decision? As I understand there is no VX on display there?

Also, do you believe that the interior quality is degraded from the current Innova Crysta?

Thanks!
Had booked dthe top variant. saw that and the GX
The GX actually looked better but with only 2 airbags that is a no go.
Top variant has cheap plastics all over and once inside it does not feel like a 35L car.
AlokJain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:02   #537
BHPian

Quote:
3. The gear lever is so ergonomically places you wonder why everyone didn't keep it there.
4. front armrest storage is even bigger.
The gear lever position is good if it was a manual. You would have it next to the steering wheel. I had driven the European Civic hatchback which had that.

For a auto with paddle shifters, not sure you would use the lever. I dont think a lever itself is any useful for auto shifters.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:29   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Had booked dthe top variant. saw that and the GX
The GX actually looked better but with only 2 airbags that is a no go.
Top variant has cheap plastics all over and once inside it does not feel like a 35L car.
Thanks Alok. Low quality interiors in the ZX is surprising since the Team BHP review mentions “upmarket interiors”. Maybe that comment is to be taken in context to what Toyota generally offers.

I have booked a VX and am keen to see how that looks based upon your comment for the GX interiors.
Old 17th January 2023, 12:25   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In comparison, the Hycross just pales. Just two square cupholders, space inside the armrest box, a decent but thin shelf in front of the passenger and two pull out cupholders in front of the side A/C vents, which I am not to sure will last long if used regularly, unlike the carved out upholders in the Noah/ Voxy.
Agree, that's a lot of wasted space up front.

I don't use a phone holder and in Crysta the space ahead of the gear stick and below the climate control is exclusively used to put my phone, wallet and other small items. In the Hycross convenient easy to access storage locations around the driver is lacking.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 18:24   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragRunner View Post

DISCLAIMER: I am neither knowledgeable in market forces / economics nor am I (yet) a car aficionado.
Adding to the pricing discussion:
PragRunner is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed