Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2022, 10:32   #106
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

The waiting period has already extended to 8 months ��. Sticking to the Hyryder for now.
Old 8th December 2022, 11:14   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
The waiting period has already extended to 8 months ��. Sticking to the Hyryder for now.
How do we know the waiting period? Is it as disclosed by dealer? What will be the waiting period for those who pre booked before or on launch day?
Old 8th December 2022, 11:16   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
The waiting period has already extended to 8 months.
True, a Mumbai dealership told me the waiting period ranges between 5 to 8 months currently, depending on the variant. The top-end variant is the most in-demand.
Old 8th December 2022, 11:29   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
No thats not correct. It depends at what speed you are driving.

What do you mean by big delta? And no you can mash the throttle as hard as you like, as long as there is motor assist at the speed, the mileage will be good.
My apologies there, I forgot to mention that 'the highway mileage will be less compared to the city mileage.'

By big delta I meant difference in mileage (Hycross' highway mileage- Crysta diesel's highway mileage).

Coming back to your Lexus example my rule of thumb line was more in relation to what is usually seen on budget (despite its pricing in India Hycross is a budget car, please don't say otherwise) hybrid cars (e.g. RAV4 Hybrid, Corolla Hybrid, CR-V Hybrid, Santa Fe Hybrid, Sorento Hybrid, etc). Because if you start comparing it with Lexus the conversation turns into a different segment. If you still don't get my point here is the link to EPA's hybrid vehicle fuel economy list (look for cars with variable gear ratio and their highway vs city mileage especially ones from Toyota) https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=3&year=2023&vtyp e=Hybrid&srchtyp=yearAfv&rowLimit=50&pageno=1&sort By=Comb&tabView=0

That said, my point in general was to state that the mileage of a hybrid depends a lot on the way you drive and thus OP's friend should wait for long term mileage reports before making a decision whether to get one or not as a vehicle primarily for highway duties.
AROO7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 11:47   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
My apologies there, I forgot to mention that 'the highway mileage will be less compared to the city mileage.'
It would depend on the speed. If you drive between 80-100, which would be the normal sane cruising speed on highways, the difference in mileage wont be much. I would wager that it would be the same as in the city and this has been been my experience with my car as well.

Quote:
By big delta I meant difference in mileage (Hycross' highway mileage- Crysta diesel's highway mileage).
I would disagree. Since when did Innova Crysta Automatic delivered more than 20+ kmpl on highway? Hycross would be close to its city efficiency if driven upto 100 kmph.

Quote:
Because if you start comparing it with Lexus the conversation turns into a different segment.
There is no difference in the hybrid system between the Camry and my RX450. Fundamentally they are exactly the same except for the size of the engine and size and power for the traction motor. Also, All I am sharing is my experience with hybrid - the difference in economy isnt drastic between city and highways. For e.g. the city efficiency in summers is around 6.9-7l/100 kms and on the highway around 7.2-7.4l/100 kms. This is on highway with speed limit of 100 kmph and I usually drive the limit.

Quote:
If you still don't get my point here is the link to EPA's hybrid vehicle fuel economy list (look for cars with variable gear ratio and their highway vs city mileage especially ones from Toyota) https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...Comb&tabView=0
The highway cruising speeds are much higher in US than in India. Also, I am speaking from my own experience.

I also looked at the figures in your link from Camry which are 51 MPG city 53 MPG highway.

Quote:
That said, my point in general was to state that the mileage of a hybrid depends a lot on the way you drive and thus OP's friend should wait for long term mileage reports before making a decision whether to get one or not as a vehicle primarily for highway duties.
That would be true for any car for that matter but the hit to the mileage is the least when compared to pure ICE vehicle and by a whole lot. Again speaking from personal experience because I have owned both RX350 with the V6 Petrol and RX450h which is hybridised V6.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 8th December 2022 at 11:51.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 12:02   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
To whomsoever (expecting reasonable pricing) it may concern
  • It is an absolute seller's market and reasonable pricing is the exception (Mahindra) and not the norm.
  • Long before the current absolute sellers market, Toyota have very frequently overpriced their non-low-end products.
  • The "Innova" and "Toyota" badges are worth their weight in gold.
  • The Crysta topped off at around 33.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore for the Diesel AT ZX and the Hycross is clearly being positioned to be "above" the Crysta.
  • The strong hybrid variants are being touted as a "diesel replacement".
  • The Fortuner diesel starts at around 44 lakhs OTR Bangalore and goes up to around 62.5 lakhs for the GR-S edition.
So, the top of the line Innova Hycross hybrid being priced above 40 lakhs OTR Bangalore will not surprise me in the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Hycross' only competition would be the Crysta diesel which I feel may not come in automatic guise and will cater to the cab and chauffeured segment and will be bare bones to make it unattractive to the private buyer. The Hycross starts where the other 7 seaters end, meaning the Crysta, Alcazar and Carens. Makes the Alcazar seem really VFM at Rs25L OTR for the top end the Hycross top end would be close to Rs40L OTR for the ZX(O)...the new Hector even if priced competitively will not succeed given the brand pull of the Toyota and Innova with no diesel automatic and lacklustre petrol CVT power train that's neither performance oriented nor fuel efficient...
Bummer! Given there are a few chinks in its otherwise bullet proof armour, anything beyond 35L OTR for ZX in Bangalore will be a deal breaker for me. I have booked the Hycross out of sheer frustration from waiting for XUV700 (on my 12th month now) and reports that Mahindra is again suffering supply chain issues for "critical parts". Feels like so many (Jeep with Meredian, Skoda with Kodiaq, Tata by not upgrading Safari, MG by same inaction as Tata and now possibly Toyota by over pricing the Hycross) are missing out to cash in on Mahindra's pathetic manufacturing woes. Had the Meredian or Kodiaq been around 35L (for a comparable feature list), so many of the ~1 lakh XUV wait-listers would have bought it! But these guys are happy selling 100 cars a month. Yes, they wanted to take on the mighty Fortuner, but they have failed miserably there too! If anything, Toyota will be encouraged to hike Fortuner prices seeing the so-called competitor's sales figures

Last edited by GPJ_23 : 8th December 2022 at 12:05. Reason: Typo
GPJ_23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 12:22   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

I would disagree. Since when did Innova Crysta Automatic delivered more than 20+ kmpl on highway? Hycross would be close to its city efficiency if driven upto 100 kmph.

I also looked at the figures in your link from Camry which are 51 MPG city 53 MPG highway.

I never said Crysta Automatic I said Crysta Diesel and please look at the equation Hycross is towards the left and Crysta towards the right of the subtraction sign (that makes clear which one is higher here).

Well the maximum speed limit is 120 kmph (on expressways) Sir and why do you think a person would be driving only upto 100 kmph (as if all car drivers are as law abiding as we BHPians are in general), we need to look at the broader picture here. Because the car can be overloaded, might be doing lots of idling, might be driven fast with several overtakes, etc. We can't just take the optimum condition and generalize it. And if we do that then why not happily accept Toyota's claimed mileage and for that matter whatever other car manufacturers claim.

Sir again you are picking examples that suit your narrative when in the same list there is also a Corolla Hybrid which gives 50 mpg in the city and 43 mpg on the highway, Honda CR-V 43 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway, and Toyota RAV4 41 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway.

At the same time neither I'm denying your point of getting good mileage on highway from your Lexus hybrid nor I'm saying that Hycross for sure won't be fuel-efficient. What I'm trying to say here is based on various customer reports and reviews I have read over time of those who have owned and driven over hundred thousand miles on Civic Hybrid, Corolla Hybrid, etc and in general most of them have one thing in common that the best mileage a hybrid delivers is within the confines of the city and not on the freeways/highways. So if you have a car which delivers good highway mileage and you mostly drive on highways then there is no point paying extra upfront for the hybrid (if your buying decision is based on only the fuel efficiency part and nothing else).

Finally, I hope this clears the confusion and lets not divert the Hycross review thread to whether it will give a good mileage in city or on highway. We can save that for when the long term/ownership review starts coming in.
Old 8th December 2022, 12:25   #113

I didn't beleive what I was seeing when I read that the battery is a NiMH unit ! In today's world where Li-Ion and its variants rule the battery world, has Toyota taken a gamble with a 20 year old technology ? These batteries lose charge efficiency within a few hundred cycles and their life is a maximum of 1000 charge discharge cycles. Time will tell but this should have been a red flag which nobody seems to be talking about.
sachind is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 12:25   #114
BHPian

Do we have Maps on the VX version infotainment system ?
Apple Airplay is not available as per the materiel available . So if maps are not available on the infotainment system , do we need to go to back to use phone for navigation ?
pradeepkm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 12:40   #115
BHPian

A very good review. Just feel a twinge of regret that Toyota and the auto world missed out by not creating a diesel hybrid which would have give even better fuel efficiency. I know all arguments about the cost of development and the engineering challenges it would involve, but still feel that this one that world missed out on. Unfortunately, VW’s effort at such a power train was flushed down the drain with the diesel-gate.
PratikPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 12:45   #116
BHPian

Great detailed review. Sure shot for whose thirst aren't quenched by the Innova's.

For me this looks like Toyota's walk into the 40L bracket easily in the market. Probably an on par or cheaper alternative for those who find the KIA Carnival too much of a stretch.

Not sure whether anyone felt the overall looks of the car being a tad too Indonesian (or pre 2015 Toyotas), while Toyota is selling better looking cars elsewhere.

The rear of the car reminded me of the older versions of Highlander, but look at the Highlander or Corolla current gen, they look much better and stylish. We have been dumped with cars made for SEA. :(

Last edited by peterjim13 : 8th December 2022 at 12:47.
Old 8th December 2022, 14:03   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Mileage test of the Innova HyCross gives 18.75 kmpl

And working of the ADAS, although it misses out on Auto emergency braking.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 8th December 2022 at 14:05.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 14:20   #118
BHPian

This car is going to pull in customers from the SUV and premium MPV segments. It seems like the right blend of luxury and practicality.

You have to hand it to Toyota for how they've gone from the Qualis to the Innova and now to the Hycross.

Having booked the ZX(O) after looking at various options for a year, my only concern is with with 225/50 R18. What are the options of upgrading with a higher sidewall without voiding warranty?
teknicsand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 14:56   #119
BANNED

Dear Members

Please see the attached photos.
It is of the non visible region of the vehicle like under the carpet and below the car.
What is the quality of paint there?
Seems very low quality and less DFT as compared to visible surfaces.
as you know paint is more than a cosmetic requirement, it is there to provide anti corrosion layer to the sheet metal.

Request your good selves to revert with this query.

1. What is the quality of paint in these region. Is it inferior to visible paints in terms of corrosion protection?
2. Have seen some vehicles rusting in the dicky area where such paint is applied, especially cars in costal areas, any paint we can use to over coat it there?
3. If over coat is done, please share the quality/name of primer coat etc.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyota Innova.pdf (391.0 KB, 253 views)
Old 8th December 2022, 16:27   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepkm View Post
Do we have Maps on the VX version infotainment system ?
Apple Airplay is not available as per the materiel available . So if maps are not available on the infotainment system , do we need to go to back to use phone for navigation ?
I think there are no maps in any version in the on board screen/entertainment system but VX has apple car play that is wired whereas ZX has wireless apple car play.
FastTracker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks