Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2022, 22:57   #61

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Any idea on when we can expect the prices to be out? IMHO, anything beyond 25L for the top end will kill it.
Old 6th December 2022, 23:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablejim View Post
FEATURES

- No Auto Wipers
- No TPMS (Available as an Accessory)
- No Wireless Charger (Available as an Accessory)
- No Boss Mode for the Front Passenger seat
- Very Lacklustre Sounding Audio System
- Basic Touchscreen Unit (Even Maps not Available)
- Tailgate Motor makes too much noise while opening and closing
- Flimsy A/C Louvers for the second and third row
- Quality of Roofline not upto the mark

ENGINE
- Lacks mid-range
- Does not have the relaxed cruising manners of the Innova Diesels

Apart from the above, the car is well packaged. Pricing would determine whether it will be a complete VFM product

TPMS display seems to be present in the instrument cluster in all the review units. Not sure if they are charging extra for the same.

Unrelated but that new shade of blue looks so good. I'm regretting making both my bookings for the black colour.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 23:19   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
TPMS display seems to be present in the instrument cluster in all the review units. Not sure if they are charging extra for the same.

Unrelated but that new shade of blue looks so good. I'm regretting making both my bookings for the black colour.
TPMS display is present while you need to purchase the sensors at an extra cost at the dealer end.

There are 3 shades of black and 2 shades of white out of the total 7 colour options available. Yes the shade of Blue looks a class apart and Toyota calls it "BLACKISH AGEHA GLASS FLAKE"
Old 7th December 2022, 00:55   #64
BHPian

With this new Innova launch, all the erstwhile diesel ones now seem to be like steam engines. The hybrid akin to the electric locos. With more HEVs, the diesels/steams are fading away.

All said and done, a middle bench is sorely missed. Heck the new Carnival gives Ottoman seats along with a flat folding middle bench! Cmon Toyota!!! Music system and tyres will definitely need to be upgraded. This is a 6 seater, forget 7. I won't be surprised if the top variant touches almost 40L OTR. The diesel Innovas were also known for their water wading capabilities. Wondering how this one shall fare.

And Toyota service isn't fuss free as you folks mention. At least not in Mumbai.
coolmel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 07:21   #65
BHPian

I'm curious to know whether the wheel-tire combo decision was made at the accounting table or in the design studio. The end result is terrible not just for aesthetics but also ride comfort. A tire upsize and spacers is the order of the day to significantly improve the look and function.
Old 7th December 2022, 08:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
With the launch of Innova Hycross the "Innova" has effectively become a sub-brand - Innova Crysta and Innova Hycross.
Think of it like Figo Aspire or Zen Estilo. Toyota simply isn't relaxed this time to introduce as Toyota Hycross, unlike 2005 or 2016

That placement of in-your-face Innova branding on the hood and prominent Innova on the rear quarter is just evidence Toyota wants us to think this is an Innova. Eventually the branding font size will change after the product establishes itself.

I am not sure how long the overlap will last. It will entirely depend on the response for Hycross.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:23   #67
BHPian

Hopefully this will spur Kia to launch the latest gen Carnival and replace the existing one which is already phased out everywhere. The new one is a much improved product and looks fabulous. It’s clearly a different segment - 400mm longer and 200 mm wider - but Hycross would move up the price points for the segment and may make 50 lakh OTR MUVs from mainstream brands palatable!
Neelavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu84 View Post
Any idea on when we can expect the prices to be out? IMHO, anything beyond 25L for the top end will kill it.
above 25? I am 100 percent sure it is gonna be 35L plus on road. somewhere aroung 38 ex showroom in banglore. and toyota knows it has people who will buy it at that prices. They may not be going for a volume seller, but profitability. They will re-introduce the innova diesel after sometime, again, costlier that it was previously.
nettooran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

Rating the thread a much deserved 5 stars !!

Interesting details:

The Innova Hycross towers over the first gen Innova!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
52-litre fuel tank is located just ahead of the rear suspension:
The Innova Hycross is also leaving the Innova Crysta behind, as it surges ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
ORVMs are wide and offer an excellent view of the happenings behind:
Wholesome review of a true all-rounder. There are very few chinks in the latest gen Innova's armor. Toyota can easily over-price this one and get away with it - especially because the Crysta would still be available.

Competition beware!
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review

After the Crysta experience, I have decided to do a Mahindra and wait 9-12 months before buying so that the niggles are ironed out. Particularly, the 18" wheels - they gotta go!

[quote=Aditya; 5451643]: Are you sure the seats are leather and not faux leather?

Last edited by sridhu : 7th December 2022 at 09:59.
Old 7th December 2022, 10:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niruvrs9669 View Post
Thank you Aditya for a comprehensive review.

“With the front seat pushed forward, recline the backrest and raise the ottoman to create a near-perfect bed. Great for chauffeur-driven businessmen who spend long hours stuck in the Western Express Highway traffic”.

Just a practical aspect of ottoman reclining seat usage. How can the 2nd row passenger use a seat belt when his seat is fully reclined ?
That's true. On a lighter note, only if Toyota could now also find a way to meet the Apple Watch stand goals and move around inside the van while someone is stuck in traffic
Old 7th December 2022, 10:20   #72
Senior - BHPian

Weird that a car costing well over 20 big ones (minimum) will have only 2 airbags in most variants.

With Toyota's proven hybrid tech, excellent FE, and reliability, this new car will sell in huge quantities at whatever price. (I'll not be surprised if top variants of the Innova max out in 50 lakhs soon :P)

The end of diesel engines in India has begun when two prominent players (Maruti and Toyota) decide "no more diesel" on their cash cows.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 7th December 2022 at 10:21.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 10:37   #73
rbk

Why I ditched an almost brand new Innova Crysta Diesel Automatic for the Innova Hycross

Why I Sold an almost brand new Crysta

My Innova Crysta 2021 GX Automatic 2.4 Diesel was only 15 months old when I sold it last week. The car was in immaculate condition and I hope the new owner takes care of it just as much as I did. My primary concern with the Crysta was its steering. The reason why I bought the Crysta was for the long highway drives I frequently do. But the only prickle I couldn't get my head around was the hard, truck like Hydraulic Steering. Though it did not seem much while I test drove the car, it was only later on upon daily usage I realised that it is pretty tough to manoeuvre the big machine with such a hard steering. Sometimes after a 2000 km long trip, my arms ache. This is THE BIG reason why I decided I need an untimely upgrade.

Why not think beyond the Hycross

Even after clocking 26,600 km on the ODO and using it for 15 months, I got an extremely impressive price upon selling the Crysta. No other car can hold its value like a Toyota. We even sometimes joke among friends that buying a Toyota can be a better investment than the yellow metal itself! This is something anyone intending to buy the the new Hycross should definitely think about. I decided to sell the Crysta much before the Reviews & Price Reveal of the Hycross, because I did not want to risk the market for the car going down, once the Hycross' start hitting the Showrooms. After selling the Crysta, needless to say, my mind started wandering towards the Jeep Meridian and Kia Carnival but I didn't require much convincing myself because I just knew the Hycross will hold its much more, say five years down the lane. My experience with the sale of the Crstya was a huge reason why I did not want to think beyond Toyota.

Booking the Hycross

Given the enthusiasts we all are, sometimes we just can't wait - though that is the sensible way to go about it. I had all faith in Toyota that they would never launch the Hycross with a Hydraulic Steering setup. And the reviews from yesterday was a relief, the Hycross does actually have an Electric Power steering; something I was delighted to hear! I took the plunge the very same day my Crysta left me; call me emotional! Drove straight to the Nippon Toyota (Trivandrum) and booked the Hybrid ZX(O) in Attitude Black Mica. This is the first time I have booked a car without test driving it, let alone, the prices being revealed! Sounds pretty absurd, but I just needed an easier to drive, feature rich Innova and the Hycross I knew was just that!

I see many of you have paid Rs. 1,00,000 as their booking amount but Nippon Toyota had just taken Rs. 50,000 from me, in line with Toyota's official e-Booking amount. I was told that the prices will be out by December end and Test Drives may start by early January. Also I was told to expect delivery of my car only by early March 2023. Mine was the 10th Hycross to be booked from this Showroom and I believe after the price reveal, YouTube reviews and test drives the number of bookings will be climb considerably higher!

Now the HOLY WAIT begins - will keep you posted on the updates as and when I get them from my dealer.

PS: For the meanwhile I bought myself an ever so humble used 2015 Alto K10 LXi to run my city errands. And for the long highway drives, I take the Crysta's absence as an excuse to get my Red Rocket, a Stage 1 309 HP Skoda Octavia vRS 230 out on the highways more often!

Posting Pictures of the Cars in question for your viewing!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20221207-10.29.22-am.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20221207-10.29.21-am-1.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20221207-10.29.21-am.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20221207-10.29.22-am-1.jpeg  

Last edited by rbk : 7th December 2022 at 13:05. Reason: I have removed the alcohol reference, and also edited out one emoticon to include only two in the writeup.
rbk is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 10:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablejim View Post
FEATURES

- No Auto Wipers
- No TPMS (Available as an Accessory)
Powerdrift confirmed that TPMS is available as standard (maybe only for top end variants). For lower variants it could be an accessory.

Two queries-
How is the sunroof cover?
Are window buttons illuminated?
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 10:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelavi View Post
Hopefully this will spur Kia to launch the latest gen Carnival and replace the existing one which is already phased out everywhere. The new one is a much improved product and looks fabulous. It’s clearly a different segment - 400mm longer and 200 mm wider - but Hycross would move up the price points for the segment and may make 50 lakh OTR MUVs from mainstream brands palatable!
Not sure why Kia is holding on to the older Carnival for so long. Also, Toyota should give us Sienna instead of the Vellfire. Its time to offer choice to customers.
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed