Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 11:28   #76
rbk

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu84 View Post
Any idea on when we can expect the prices to be out? IMHO, anything beyond 25L for the top end will kill it.
My guesses are that the OTR Price for the ZX(O) Hybrid will be in the 40 Lakh territory in Kerala. Toyota being Totoya charges a premium for all it's cars and given the potential blockbuster the Hycross is, there is no question the premium pricing is here to stay. The way Toyota cars are durable and survive longer than its competition and also given how incredibly they hold their value over years could be their justification for the higher asking price.

No price will "kill" such a well packaged Toyota product like the Hycross! Buyers will definitely wait in line to get their hands on it. Such criticisms did their rounds when the Crysta was launched with a considerably higher price tag compared to the first gen Innova. Many claimed the car would fail to find buyers. But it was proved otherwise and that too very affirmatively. There are many Crysta users who wish for an upgrade but the Vellfire is way beyond reach and are just not comfortable about owning a Kia (Carnival). They are the customers Toyota is aiming for with the Hycross. Anyway let's see how it plays out as the days of speculation dies out.
rbk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 11:30   #77
BHPian

The reviews looks on expected lines - a strong product which can become a block buster if Toyota prices this well.

I have booked the ZX version but am still in a dilemma in terms of going ahead with the purchase. I am looking to upgrade from my 2015 Vento & this looks like exactly what I need in terms of space, features, etc however what confuses me is the driving dynamics. Not sure how much of a sacrifice I would need to make as a driver to go ahead with this. I guess the test drive will provide some idea but I doubt one can cover too many scenarios even in a longish test drive...

So I keep debating if I should pull the trigger on this or get the Virtus GT which would scratch the driver's itch...
Bhodrolok is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 11:36   #78
BHPian

Ok, so I've been asking this question almost everywhere online and thought I'll put it here as well. For some strange reason Autocar India blocked me on twitter for asking this question, but thats another story.

This being a hybrid vehicle, is there anyway to find out what the actual mileage would be when it runs on the petrol engine. Assuming the petrol engine kicks in at 40 kmph and people driving on the highways will be driving upwards of 40 kmph, making the hycross a petrol only car on the highways.

I've seen a one or two mileage videos on youtube, but they are all mixture of slow and high speed driving. The reason to ask this question is for a friend of mine, who will be using the hycross mostly on the highways, lets say 80% highway and 20% city driving.

Can someone enlighten me on what is or could be the mileage purely on the highways i.e. when running upwards of 40 kmph?
sreejinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 11:43   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
I'm curious to know whether the wheel-tire combo decision was made at the accounting table or in the design studio. The end result is terrible not just for aesthetics but also ride comfort. A tire upsize and spacers is the order of the day to significantly improve the look and function.
235/55 R18 tyres would be ideal as it is readily available, and car will look flush with meater sidewalls filling the wheel wells and overall better stance with the wider rubber.
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:02   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Powerdrift confirmed that TPMS is available as standard (maybe only for top end variants). For lower variants it could be an accessory.

Two queries-
How is the sunroof cover?
Are window buttons illuminated?
TPMS is not standard even on the top end variants as confirmed by the Toyota officials during the media drive. The official very clearly mentioned that both Wireless Charger and TPMS are only accessories available at the dealer level.

Again I am reiterating, as informed by the Toyota official during the media drive that TPMS is only an accessory at the dealer level.

Powerdrift would have confirmed the availability of TPMS as they were available in the media drive cars which is an accessory as per the Toyota officials.

Having said that the cars that were made available for the media drive were heavily accessorised. Hence we can come to know about the actual look of the vehicle only once it arrives at the showrooms. I am completely against heavily accessorised vehicles for the test drives as well as the media drives. Accessorised vehicles for test and media drives create a lot of confusion among prospective customers.

Sunroof cover is slightly better than what is available in the Hyryder, however they are not as good as what is available in a TaMo product or MG.

Window buttons are not illuminated. However, there is a strip of light on the roofline tracing the sunroof border for the second row of passengers.
Adorablejim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:07   #81
BHPian

To whomsoever (expecting reasonable pricing) it may concern
  • It is an absolute seller's market and reasonable pricing is the exception (Mahindra) and not the norm.
  • Long before the current absolute sellers market, Toyota have very frequently overpriced their non-low-end products.
  • The "Innova" and "Toyota" badges are worth their weight in gold.
  • The Crysta topped off at around 33.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore for the Diesel AT ZX and the Hycross is clearly being positioned to be "above" the Crysta.
  • The strong hybrid variants are being touted as a "diesel replacement".
  • The Fortuner diesel starts at around 44 lakhs OTR Bangalore and goes up to around 62.5 lakhs for the GR-S edition.
So, the top of the line Innova Hycross hybrid being priced above 40 lakhs OTR Bangalore will not surprise me in the least.
lordrayden is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:15   #82
BHPian

Great review as usual. I was curious to understand if the review team was able to get any information from Toyota if the new petrol mills would be E20 fuel compatible. It's a lot of money upfront, and with the impending E20 roll out, it's better to be sure, with information from the horse's mouth!
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharshan View Post
A selfish query (kind of) - How will HyCross impact the resale value of Innova Crysta immediately and 4-5 years later? Particularly top-end automatic diesel variants of Crysta.
It will only affect in a positive way.

1. Hycross will stretch the price of Innova and make it less affordable for the masses.

2. Lack of punch in mid-range, less torque, RWD of Crysta vs FWD of Highcross, Ladder frame Vs Monocoque, etc will ensure that the cult will follow diesel Innova.

3. History-When Innova vas launched, people still stood for Qualis. After Crysta was launched, demand for Innova went up because of the price increase. Hope the trend continues.

Disclaimer-I own 2017 2.8z Crysta.
smasher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Ok, so I've been asking this question almost everywhere online and thought I'll put it here as well. For some strange reason Autocar India blocked me on twitter for asking this question, but thats another story.

This being a hybrid vehicle, is there anyway to find out what the actual mileage would be when it runs on the petrol engine. Assuming the petrol engine kicks in at 40 kmph and people driving on the highways will be driving upwards of 40 kmph, making the hycross a petrol only car on the highways.

I've seen a one or two mileage videos on Youtube, but they are all mixture of slow and high speed driving. The reason to ask this question is for a friend of mine, who will be using the hycross mostly on the highways, lets say 80% highway and 20% city driving.

Can someone enlighten me on what is or could be the mileage purely on the highways i.e. when running upwards of 40 kmph?
The ceritified mileage for Hyryder Strong Hybrid is 27.97 Kmpl whereas the actual combined cycle mileage reported by customers is around 20.1 Kmpl which is a delta of approximately 8 Kmpl from the claimed mileage by the company. The certified mileage for Hycross is 21.1 Kmpl and if we consider the same delta of 8 Kmpl, the actual mileage for Hycross would be somewhere in the region of 13 - 14 Kmpl combined cycle. The natural habitat for a strong hybrid is within the City confines where it would run 60 - 70% of the time on battery power or even a relaxed cruise on the Higway with speeds not exceeding 80 to 90 Kmph. In city you can expect a mileage close to the certified mileage while on the highways it will definitely reduce and at speeds exceeding 90 to 100 Kmph, please do not expect mind blowing figures.

Simple Theory : BATTERY UTILISATION IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL TO SPEED

As the speed increases, more load on the IC engine and less battery utilisation eventhough there will be electric motor assist which keeps decreasing as the speed builds up.

Last edited by Adorablejim : 7th December 2022 at 12:29. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Adorablejim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:51   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablejim View Post
The certified mileage for Hycross is 21.1 Kmpl and if we consider the same delta of 8 Kmpl, the actual mileage for Hycross would be somewhere in the region of 13 - 14 Kmpl combined cycle.
Thanks for answering, I understand what you are trying to explain, but my question is still unanswered. what I would like to know is, if a person's driving is mostly on the highways, lets assume 95% of the driving is on the highways. Since on the highways it will be speeds more than 40 kmph it'll be run mostly using the petrol engine and/or hybrid mode, what is or could be the mileage of the vehicle then? Pure highway high speed driving.

The outgoing petrol crysta has a ARAI mileage around 10 kmpl, thats for a 2.7 ltr petrol engine and it will be safe to say a 2ltr petrol engine might give better mileage especially if the vehicle weighs less. I couldnt find the official mileage claimed by toyota for the non hybrid hycross variants, that could have helped me do a guesstimate

I can get the mileage test done once I get a hand-on, I hear Feb end for the test drives to start.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:54   #86
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
The ceritified mileage for Hyryder Strong Hybrid is 27.97 Kmpl whereas the actual combined cycle mileage reported by customers is around 20.1 Kmpl which is a delta of approximately 8 Kmpl from the claimed mileage by the company. The certified mileage for Hycross is 21.1 Kmpl and if we consider the same delta of 8 Kmpl, the actual mileage for Hycross would be somewhere in the region of 13 - 14 Kmpl combined cycle. The natural habitat for a strong hybrid is within the City confines where it would run 60 - 70% of the time on battery power or even a relaxed cruise on the Higway with speeds not exceeding 80 to 90 Kmph. In city you can expect a mileage close to the certified mileage while on the highways it will definitely reduce and at speeds exceeding 90 to 100 Kmph, please do not expect mind blowing figures.
Shouldn't the delta for hycross be calculated basis the percentage difference? For hyryder the actual FE is 28.57 % lesser than the claimed FE for mixed driving. By the same factor the Hycross should deliver 15 kmpl in mixed driving conditions.
Old 7th December 2022, 13:01   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
what I would like to know is, if a person's driving is mostly on the highways, lets assume 95% of the driving is on the highways. Since on the highways it will be speeds more than 40 kmph it'll be run mostly using the petrol engine and/or hybrid mode, what is or could be the mileage of the vehicle then? Pure highway high speed driving.

The outgoing petrol crysta has a ARAI mileage around 10 kmpl, thats for a 2.7 ltr petrol engine and it will be safe to say a 2ltr petrol engine might give better mileage especially if the vehicle weighs less. I couldnt find the official mileage claimed by toyota for the non hybrid hycross variants, that could have helped me do a guesstimate

From what I understand, the 2.0 petrol for the Hybrid runs on the Atkinson cycle which is more fuel efficient than the regular 2.0 petrol.

You also need to understand that this is a Strong Hybrid which means at cruising speeds, if the electric motor alone can sustain the motion/ speed, the petrol motor will run only to charge the batteries. It's quite a complicated system which tries to make the best of both worlds and give out the best fuel efficiency possible.

I maybe wrong but I guess you should check out videos of Toyota Hybrids abroad.

However, if you're going to go at really high speeds (over 120kmph) , yes, the petrol motor will have to work purely for motion.

Overall, you can certainly expect mileage more than non hybrids purely on the basis of a different engine cycle.

Last edited by Turbohead : 7th December 2022 at 13:03.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:18   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
235/55 R18 tyres would be ideal as it is readily available, and car will look flush with meater sidewalls filling the wheel wells and overall better stance with the wider rubber.
225 x 0.5 = 112.5mm sidewall

IMO the best fit with lowest impact while increasing sidewall height would be a 235/50 R18 to get a sidewall height of 117.5mm

If a soft compound tire like Michelin Primacy is used, the overall height and stance remain unaffected due to the bulge of a soft sidewall compensating for the increase in sidewall height - I observed this phenomenon in my old Honda City too.
Old 7th December 2022, 13:33   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Shouldn't the delta for hycross be calculated basis the percentage difference? For hyryder the actual FE is 28.57 % lesser than the claimed FE for mixed driving. By the same factor the Hycross should deliver 15 kmpl in mixed driving conditions.
There are customers who have achieved 33.3 Kmpl in the Hyryder while few others have only obtained an efficiency of 18.1 Kmpl. The average combined fuel efficiency reported as of now is 20.1 Kmpl
Old 7th December 2022, 13:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TPMS display is present while you need to purchase the sensors at an extra cost at the dealer end.

There are 3 shades of black and 2 shades of white out of the total 7 colour options available. Yes the shade of Blue looks a class apart and Toyota calls it "BLACKISH AGEHA GLASS FLAKE"
Well that's sad and a rather cheap move since everyone else has it as standard on the top variant even when it's 2 segments down.

I ordered attitude black mica.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed