Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 14:09   #91
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
From what I understand, the 2.0 petrol for the Hybrid runs on the Atkinson cycle which is more fuel efficient than the regular 2.0 petrol.

You also need to understand that this is a Strong Hybrid which means at cruising speeds, if the electric motor alone can sustain the motion/ speed, the petrol motor will run only to charge the batteries. It's quite a complicated system which tries to make the best of both worlds and give out the best fuel efficiency possible.

I maybe wrong but I guess you should check out videos of Toyota Hybrids abroad.

However, if you're going to go at really high speeds (over 120kmph) , yes, the petrol motor will have to work purely for motion.

Overall, you can certainly expect mileage more than non hybrids purely on the basis of a different engine cycle.

On highways, there will be a point in engine speed when it will be more efficient to drive the wheels directly without having to charge battery and run the motor to avoid losses. At speeds the drag is what lowers the mileage and the reason why city figures will be better with regeneration.

I think with decades of experience Toyota's algorithms will be much better to obtain optimum efficiency.

Just wonder if they could make it dynamic in learning and inference
PreludeSH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:09   #92
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Innova Hycross top variants getting most bookings.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20221207_151524.jpg

Quote:
- Innova Hycross ZX and ZX(O) trims seeing bulk of the demand

- Blackish Ageha Glass Flake, Super white are popular colour choices

- Prices are expected to be announced by January 2023

- Dealer sources are suggesting that waiting period could shoot up to six months and panoramic sunroof is also much sought after.

- Expected to be priced around Rs 22 lakh-28 lakh.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th December 2022 at 15:17.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
but my question is still unanswered. what I would like to know is, if a person's driving is mostly on the highways, lets assume 95% of the driving is on the highways. Since on the highways it will be speeds more than 40 kmph it'll be run mostly using the petrol engine and/or hybrid mode, what is or could be the mileage of the vehicle then? Pure highway high speed driving.
As a rule of thumb the hybrid will return lesser mileage on the highway because the engine will be running to charge the batteries more often (if you drive with a light foot and the road is almost flat). The same came dip even further if you go aggressive on the throttle where both the engine and electric motor send power to the front wheels. So at any time of the day the Hycross and the Crysta diesel will not have a big delta when it comes to highway fuel efficiency. But if you compare with the older 2.7-liter petrol engine of Crysta then eyes-closed the Hycross will be more fuel efficient in almost any scenario.

As for the numbers from what I have heard and was able to observe from multiple review and test-drive videos (where the car is tested to its limits with lots of idling), the Hycross managed above 14 kmpl in most cases. Although one still needs to wait for long term reviews to be 100% sure about this (as an added bonus this will also help to bring initial niggles into light if any since these days even Toyota isn't immune to niggles in new products). So tell your friend to wait for the long term reviews. Because if the Hycross doesn't manage above 13 kmpl on highways then there is not much to gain paying a premium for the hybrid (as per your case).
AROO7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:27   #94
BHPian

The Prius has been using a strong hybrid for more than decade & undergone multiple generation. Toyota has pretty much mastered this technology among all manufacturers, which might also explain its reluctance to move to full EV globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post

I think with decades of experience Toyota's algorithms will be much better to obtain optimum efficiency.

Just wonder if they could make it dynamic in learning and inference
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:03   #95
BHPian

Great review of what is apparently another winner from Toyota. Like almost everyone here, my biggest grouse is the seat option in ZX variants. A bench seat would have made demand much higher.

The only logic here seems to be that the second row captain seats give a halo effect for the higher variants. Any other reason the brilliant minds at Team BHP could think of? One more variant with a different seating arrangement is obviously not too hard operationally.

Anyway I have one request for Team BHPians. In case you are forced to take a captain seat variant because of non availability of the bench seat option, please let it be known in all feedback options to Toyota. Also, be vocal here on the forum. Not that Toyota may care, but Team BHP is one community that gets full attention from almost all other carmakers in the Country. So hoping it may work at least for the next generation of Innova buyers
Old 7th December 2022, 18:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Great review of what is apparently another winner from Toyota. Like almost everyone here, my biggest grouse is the seat option in ZX variants. A bench seat would have made demand much higher.

The only logic here seems to be that the second row captain seats give a halo effect for the higher variants. Any other reason the brilliant minds at Team BHP could think of? One more variant with a different seating arrangement is obviously not too hard operationally.

Anyway I have one request for Team BHPians. In case you are forced to take a captain seat variant because of non availability of the bench seat option, please let it be known in all feedback options to Toyota. Also, be vocal here on the forum. Not that Toyota may care, but Team BHP is one community that gets full attention from almost all other carmakers in the Country. So hoping it may work at least for the next generation of Innova buyers
Bench is more practical, 5 adults plus lot of luggage can be carried with ease. However there were few downsides to bench seats, atleast in Crysta:

1. Middle seat was not comfortable in 2nd row and would drastically reduce rearward visibility for driver.

2. If you are travelling more than 5 people or intend to use last row, bucket seat in middle row configuration is much more comfortable. With bucket seats in middle row, third row passengers can stretch leg and actually is comfortable(for long distances too) for adults upto 6ft.

Hycross has more leg room in third row so things may not be same as Crysta, that said bucket seats in middle row is not that bad option for family.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:30   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Bench is more practical, 5 adults plus lot of luggage can be carried with ease. However there were few downsides to bench seats, atleast in Crysta:

1. Middle seat was not comfortable in 2nd row and would drastically reduce rearward visibility for driver.

2. If you are travelling more than 5 people or intend to use last row, bucket seat in middle row configuration is much more comfortable. With bucket seats in middle row, third row passengers can stretch leg and actually is comfortable(for long distances too) for adults upto 6ft.
I fully agree with the minor benefits you mentioned, but unless it affects safety, it can be left to personal choice, no? And if it does affect safety as in your first point, should lower variants be allowed for the compromise? I don’t think that is the case. It is just about the halo effect of the Captain seats coupled with the ease of production and stocking lesser SKUs.

Just rooting for XUV7OO to weed out the niggles and wake up the mandarins at Toyota.

Last edited by CoolFire : 7th December 2022 at 18:32.
CoolFire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:50   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
As a rule of thumb the hybrid will return lesser mileage on the highway because the engine will be running to charge the batteries more often (if you drive with a light foot and the road is almost flat).
======= So tell your friend to wait for the long term reviews. Because if the Hycross doesn't manage above 13 kmpl on highways then there is not much to gain paying a premium for the hybrid (as per your case).
Last week I was driving a rental Corolla Estate for 130 miles with speeds between 50 to 70 mph and it returned an impressive 59 MPG (21.1 KMPL). I think it's the same 2 ltr hybrid engine and the efficiency in the Innova hybrid engine should be pretty solid.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th December 2022 at 18:51. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
kumar25rs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 19:04   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
I fully agree with the minor benefits you mentioned, but unless it affects safety, it can be left to personal choice, no? And if it does affect safety as in your first point, should lower variants be allowed for the compromise? I don’t think that is the case. It is just about the halo effect of the Captain seats coupled with the ease of production and stocking lesser SKUs.

Just rooting for XUV7OO to weed out the niggles and wake up the mandarins at Toyota.
I don't know about halo effect, but I personally find bucket seats lot more comfortable and my use case is such that I did not find lack of bench seat a major problem. And yes, I had/have bench as well bucket seat configuration Innova. Please check out both configurations in person before concluding. Yes as you mentioned this is more to do with ease of production, but my take was bucket seats is not that bad when it comes to practicality.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 21:30   #100
BHPian

Refreshing looks and another success in the brew for Toyota. Is this the first sun roof on a Toyota here?
Old 8th December 2022, 00:19   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
With no seat belt reminders for back seats and loosely implemented regulations on back seat violations (Cyrus Mistry effect in few states for few months), VX is less safe at the moment as it puts 6 out of 8 passengers in harms way compared to 1/8 passenger in ZX.
Interestingly Autocar India's video review at the 7:00 mark says the Hycross has seatbelt reminders for all three rows. I can't find any other source to support this. Could the moderators who reviewed the car please confirm this?
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 00:53   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Interestingly Autocar India's video review at the 7:00 mark says the Hycross has seatbelt reminders for all three rows. I can't find any other source to support this. Could the moderators who reviewed the car please confirm this?
It is mentioned in the variant walk-through document (page 19) which was posted here (Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled). Screenshot below:

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-seatbeltreminder.jpg
jampot is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 02:21   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble_bore View Post
I believe that in addition to the carnival market, the hycross will also affect products like the GLB. Although a Mercedes emblem has appeal, this car is just superior overall and at a better price. It boasts more equipment, a great ride, unmatched third-row room, and, of course, a sterling reputation for reliability.This will definitely undercut the GLB by at-least 40 lakhs.

Although I am aware that many people would view this as an apple-to-orange comparison, I believe the line is now more blurred than ever.
This is a great point. The GLB, which has just launched, has features missing which you get in the Innova Hycross. And, in my opinion, looks better too. RIP GLB. This isn't an Apples to Oranges comparison, this is just murder.
RodRowdyBiker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 03:56   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a rule of thumb the hybrid will return lesser mileage on the highway because the engine will be running to charge the batteries more often (if you drive with a light foot and the road is almost flat).
No thats not correct. It depends at what speed you are driving. As long as there is motor assist at the speed, the mileage will be good. At higher highway speeds, the ICE engine is almost exclusively powering the car and therefore the mileage isnt as good. In my Lexus for example - there is motor assist even at 100 kmph and when there is a slight decline, the motor is exclusively powering the car. My guess is if you stay under or at 100 kmph, the mileage will be as good as it is in the city or very close.

Quote:
The same came dip even further if you go aggressive on the throttle where both the engine and electric motor send power to the front wheels. So at any time of the day the Hycross and the Crysta diesel will not have a big delta when it comes to highway fuel efficiency.
What do you mean by big delta? And no you can mash the throttle as hard as you like, as long as there is motor assist at the speed, the mileage will be good.

Hycross will be more efficient than Innova whether it is city or the highway.
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 09:30   #105
Senior - BHPian

Hycross' only competition would be the Crysta diesel which I feel may not come in automatic guise and will cater to the cab and chauffeured segment and will be bare bones to make it unattractive to the private buyer. The Hycross starts where the other 7 seaters end, meaning the Crysta, Alcazar and Carens. Makes the Alcazar seem really VFM at Rs25L OTR for the top end the Hycross top end would be close to Rs40L OTR for the ZX(O)...the new Hector even if priced competitively will not succeed given the brand pull of the Toyota and Innova with no diesel automatic and lacklustre petrol CVT power train that's neither performance oriented nor fuel efficient...

Last edited by Durango Dude : 8th December 2022 at 09:33.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks