Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 21:39   #136
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Silly question - can’t the battery be charged at home like a proper EV ?
No, it is not possible with Hycross. In Hycross, batteries can only be charged with help of engine.

What you are asking is called as Plugin Hybrid vehicles which Hycross is not.
varunswnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 22:06   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Any informed guesses or info about the pricing ?
My guess is the top end is Rs 40L OTR, the G-SLF & GX may come at Rs 25L OTR. This itself is "over-the-top" pricing for the Hycross: 1) Innova is mainly bought for it's diesel engine; which the Hycross isn't. 2) The Innova Crysta is due to be reintroduced in 2023 in diesel avatar. Now we also have the Alcazar/Carens/Hector+ brigade with a variety of petrol and diesel power trains and transmissions options. We have the Ertiga/XL 6 below this. We have the Carnival above with a strong diesel powertrain. My take is for the Hycross to succeed Toyota will have to price it "very" competitively otherwise it will be 'harakiri'. It will have to price it at Rs 1L above the the Alcazar/Carens brigade for it to set 'cat among the pigeons' at least 'introductorily'. The G-SLF/GX variants are literally bare bones: Carens gives 6 airbags and rear wheel disc brakes as standard across all variants. I think after the initial enthusiasm it may be difficult for Hycross to sustain sales tempo being a Petrol/Hybrid only.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 00:12   #138
BHPian

On an YouTube video from an Indonesian reviewer, the top spec variant is listed to retail at 614 million Indonesian rupiah OTR. That translates to 32.4 INR. Top variant in India will probably be higher than that I suspect.
teknicsand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 05:15   #139
Senior - BHPian

All it would take is a couple of more cities to implement a NCR style limit on diesel vehicles, and then the Hycross Innova and other such cars will be instantly popular. In fact it would spell a death knell for private diesel cars. There are already murmurs on the street. People I know are actually opting away from a diesel SUV for the fear of some or the other imminent regulation.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 10:38   #140
rbk

From what I had heard the Sales team at the dealership will receive a training for the car by next week and display car/cars would arrive at the showroom by the end of December.

Also an update on my Booking: I have changed the colour form Attitude Black Mica to Platinum White Pearl, with a heavy heart though. Considering that I will be dailying the car once I receive it, the Black colour would be a 'dust-magnet'. Given my obsession about keeping cars shiny, I will end up taking it to the car wash twice a week. This could potentially lead to swirl marks that I will sit and cry about!

I have personally checked out a Fortuner and an Innova Crysta in Pearl White, and micro scratches and dust is almost not visible on the colour until you get up close and start looking with a keen eye. Also saw a few videos of the Kijang Innova Zenix on YouTube and there is one that shows the Black and White Pearl colours side by side in a showroom, though the Black looks grand, White Pearl does have an charm of its own.

Hope I won't regret the colour change once the car is actually here!
rbk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 12:29   #141
BHPian

Re: Why I ditched an almost brand new Innova Crysta Diesel Automatic for the Innova Hycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
[b][u]Why I Sold an almost brand new Crysta
Hello,

I think you really took an awesome decision. My few cents on it. We were also in the hunt for Crysta BSVI model onwards. We have a 2011 model Innova just run 70,000km still don’t want to sell as it needs only fuel and fuel only. it’s an Innova. The only sentiment that runs in mind is Anti diesel wave in future getting strong. So now with your post we also get pull by the feeling why not go for
Hycross. And you had this steering feedback which you put across here, not heard much though is an rare review.

1. We can’t be sure of how Crysta will fare in the used market with all sentiments and govt too lenient towards EVs and hybrids.

2. Prices can turn south and north for used Crysta.

3. Who wants to hold his 25-30 lakh dependent on some stupid rules and regulations as part of NGT etc.

4. Why price can go North up - strong resale of Toyota cars and no diesel in Hycross.

5. One question - Is the Crysta diesel still on sale? And I hear rumours of a facelift in 2023. There will be less takers though once the initial nitty gritties (if any) of Hycross is sorted out. The only reason holding us to pay the token amount for Hycross.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2022 at 12:11. Reason: fair > fare, capitalising, removing unwanted spacing, trimming quoted post.
Old 11th December 2022, 14:15   #142

Saw the Hycross displayed at the dealership. Lot of interest. Exterior Looks really nice. Seat colour is so much better in person. The plastics could have been better, more so if it is priced around 35 - 40L. SA said they have 600 bookings in their 2 dealerships in Chennai. Blackish ahega glass flake on display was very nice but is a fingerprint magnet.
Deep_petrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 15:07   #143
BANNED

Hi
Does the car have Radar/Monocular camera combination for its ADAS function like XUV700. The reviews doesnt mention this?
Dilip
Old 11th December 2022, 15:24   #144
rbk

Re: Why I ditched an almost brand new Innova Crysta Diesel Automatic for the Innova Hycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
And you had this steering feedback which you put across here, not heard much though is an rare review.
I guess my review about the steering has to do with the cars I have used in the past. I had used a Toyota Etios Cross and a Facelifted Mahindra Thar CRDe before, both of which had Hydraulic Power steerings. After selling my Thar I got myself a Ford Figo Blu TDCi, which had an Electronic Power Steering. The experience I got from this car's steering was a big change, it was too effortless to manoeuvre - the steering was so light. When I sold the Figo and got the Crysta I immediately felt the lack of a an Electronic Power Steering. This feeling grew even more after I bought the vRS. In a way it all depends on perspective and the kind of cars you have used in the past.

And for your other question, I think you should go for the Hycross and not the Crysta. Hycross is the technologically more advanced car and with the Crysta you might feel outdated a few years down the lane, given it is already a 7 year old model.
Old 11th December 2022, 22:45   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Driving the Innova Hycross 2.0L Hybrid

Its combined power is 184 BHP and motor torque is 206 Nm. The engine is paired to an e-Drive transmission with sequential shift.
Is the torque abysmally low?
Will it affect the performance while carrying 7 people ?
That is the only reason I’m not considering this vehicle
Confused between XUV 700 AWD Diesel & Toyota Innova Hycross
Aditikpurohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:15   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditikpurohit View Post
The old Innova (2005-2015) with 2KD Diesel engine produced 200NM between 1400-3400RPM and a max power of 101BHP @3600RPM. So the Hycross with its motor assisted 206NM and 180 horses should do pretty well.
--

Btw the engine sits low under the bonnet in a tall body. Sort of like how it is in the maruti SPresso. Happens when a tall body is build on a low slung car platform.

Last edited by Sankar : 12th December 2022 at 11:27.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:48   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the max torque from the Petrol engine only. Toyota never quotes the max combined torque from the hybrid system as the system is so variable and therefore hard to really calculate.

And no this wont effect performance because a hybrid takes off using the electric motor which makes all of its torque at zero rpm. If AWD is not a requirement (looks are subjective but I find XUV700 to be better looking as it is more proportional), I would go with Innova because it looks like a much more practical 7 seater and will most definitely have better the efficiency than XUV700 and will be more reliable as well.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th December 2022 at 11:49.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:57   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is motor torque and there is engine torque. Both are separate. Toyota has mentioned the combined power figure of 185bhp, but has not revealed the combined torque numbers.

The motor torque of 206Nm will be available right from 0rpm. All reviews point to sprightly acceleration, something common to all strong hybrids.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th December 2022 at 11:58.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:33   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The old Innova (2005-2015) with 2KD Diesel engine produced 200NM between 1400-3400RPM and a max power of 101BHP @3600RPM. So the Hycross with its motor assisted 206NM and 180 horses should do pretty well.
--

Btw the engine sits low under the bonnet in a tall body. Sort of like how it is in the maruti SPresso. Happens when a tall body is build on a low slung car platform.
Let's hope 6-7 on board does not really lug Hycross like NA petrol engines (for quick acceleration a drop of gear is must). I am really waiting for in-gear acceleration figures like 20-80, 40-100 and 60-120.

The almost empty engine bay does not give that premium feeling, look at how lower the suspension mount point is, all this directly points to the fact that it is nothing but a raised car. Look at how lower the suspension mount point is. Toyota should have worked on providing some plastic covers on engine block and around battery area. In this regards, MG has does fantastic job on Hector.
varunswnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:58   #150
BHPian

I made a booking and am looking forward to seeing the car in flesh and taking a test drive but the dealer seems to have no idea as to when to expect it. The more i hear and see, the more the initial excitement is wearing off. I hope the petrol hybrid doesn't prove to be underwhelming and more importantly Toyota prices it sensibly. I checked the Carens over the weekend. While safety is a concern with Kias, it is very nicely packaged. Decent interior space and list of features. If Toyota gets too greedy, then probably will have to look elsewhere
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks