Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2022, 10:52   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditikpurohit View Post
When the battery is fully discharged
How would the vehicle start?
The battery will never be fully discharged. The 12v battery is only for accessories inside the car. It is never used for starting the car. Even the 12v battery is charged via the hybrid battery so there is no alternator either.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 20:20   #182
BHPian

An Indonesian review shows 0-100 in 8.82 sec. Though it is for an unloaded car, the number is still impressive.

Upgrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 03:45   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
As the engine starter battery under the hood is seperate from the hybrid motor battery under the front seats.. The car would still start as a petrol car
Actually not. The Motor Generator 1 is the generator for charging the hybrid battery and its also a starter. The engine does not start like in a stop start system either - MG1 spins the engine to 1000 rpm before it is started to make sure there is oil pressure. In a Toyota hybrid, the engine switches off and on all the time and using a regular starter would just not work.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 11:09   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
The reliability aspect is not only related to the petrol engine, Mahindras also have a poor record of frequent electrical and mechanical niggles. That extra 10 lacs would give you better comfort, far better reliability and after sales (read - not having to tweet to Anand Mahindra for every small issue), better resale value and peace of mind, better plastic quality, lesser downtime, fewer to no recalls, etc. Taking the car back to service station the next day of delivery has been made the norm by brands like Tata and Mahindra with issues like silver box replacements, blank or laggy displays, inconsistent power delivery, suspension noise, DPF issues and the list goes on and on.
Toyotas for most part are certainly the benchmark for reliability. Mahindras ( and I am not going to put it in same category as Tata) are certainly known for having issues during the initial year of launch after which it settles down. Now we can argue if its fair to launch a 95% baked product or not. I am not a die hard Mahindra fan but I do own a 2015 XUV500 which hasnt given me a single niggle so far except a door rusting which was replaced without any questions. Similarly I do know atleast 5-6 more owners who have niggle free experience. I am expecting the same with XUV700 after initial glitches are resolved. Mahindra is fairly proactive in resolving issues.

Other aspects that you mentioned we can decide after seeing side by side comparison reviews. XUV700 fit finish ride quality has surely improved a fair bit from past. Its not XUV500 vs innova ride quality anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If fun to drive is a major criteria, I dont think you should be looking at a high riding people mover or an SUV. Mahindra and Toyota's aren't highly regarded for their handling either.

Engaging perhaps yes (but still subjective) but if you are going to drive XUV700 for performance, get ready for really low efficiency figures. I reckon something like 7-8kmpl in the city or even lower. We are talking about a 2.0l Turbo Petrol lugging 1.7 tonnes of metal.

I was purely talking from "which has the better powertrain" perspective. We still dont know the prices yet but it is a given that it would cost more than Mahindra.
Lets say relatively fun to drive SUVs, since most buyers today are not looking to buy sedans. And the new generation of Mahindras (XUV300, 700) and Tatas (Harrier, safari, nexon) are very well sorted in their ride quality and at par if not better than the competition.

You certainly seem to have better understanding of toyota's hybrid and I will take your word for it, plus we will see more data from recent hybrids being launched in India and see how they fare in terms of reliability. Similarly Mahindra turbo petrol is new entity and wait and watch for long term. Only known data point for turbo petrol so far is VW TSI which has done well from engine standpoint but had DCT issues, which is not a concern with Mahindra with its traditional TC gearbox.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2022 at 20:10. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 19:03   #185
One
BHPian

Checked out the Hycross today. There's ample space inside and the third row is extremely good. However there are issues (including related to space) which are with mentioning here.

That's the width of the arm test, two regular human fingers. It is fine if Thakur from Sholay is using this to catch Gabbar but otherwise it beats the purpose of having a captain seat.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-p_20221219_151041.jpg

In the second row, one cannot slide legs the space below front seats. This is not a very big issue for people upto 5'6" as there's ample leg space and under thigh support for them. But for taller folks like me, it's not as comfortable to stretch legs in second row while having folks in 3rd row as well.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-p_20221219_151147.jpg
Likewise, the Ottoman is not really practical even with one person as the legs dangle outside which can get tiring.

Hard plastics which are easily scratchable
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-p_20221219_150004.jpg

3rd row has ample leg space and would have been most comfortable if not for relatively lesser under thigh support than 2nd row.

On the second row, it might seem that the under thigh is less as there was a photo in this thread with knees pointing upwards. The actual issue is that because one cannot stretch legs in second row completely (assuming folks are in 3rd row and one is over 5'6"), if one decides to sit with legs folded completely, then the under thigh is lacking. I sat on a Fortuner second row and my knees were pointing upwards in that too and the under thigh support wasn't significantly superior to Hycross.

This car has one of the best if not the best 3rd row (only the Carnival is better), an ok 2nd row in terms of space. Once one looks past the initial impression of the interiors, with poor plastics and average seats all around this doesn't look like a 40 lakh car from the inside. From a feature perspective, Toyota has achieved feature parity with the industry in the top models so the only redeeming qualities are hybrid engine in a 6 seater.

Hopefully the ride quality, driveability and the hybrid engine in a 6 seater warrant a purchase else there's no reason to price this or purchase this over the existing diesel models.

Last edited by One : 19th December 2022 at 19:06.
One is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 19:54   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
In the second row, one cannot slide legs the space below front seats. This is not a very big issue for people upto 5'6" as there's ample leg space and under thigh support for them. But for taller folks like me, it's not as comfortable to stretch legs in second row while having folks in 3rd row as well.
In general this is an issue but either by design or sheer coincidence this may be helping to avoid a potentially injurious situation. Imagine a person is keeping his/her feet under the front seat and brings the ottoman seat up, the feet can get stuck. I don't know if there is any mechanism to prevent it (like the anti pinch window)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 20:01   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Checked out the Hycross today.
Hi One. Which showroom did you get to see a display vehicle in please? Are these now freely available to see in most showrooms? I was told a demo vehicle is only likely to arrive late Jan but I wouldn’t mind seeing a display piece at least.

Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 20:34   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hi One. Which showroom did you get to see a display vehicle in please? Are these now freely available to see in most showrooms? I was told a demo vehicle is only likely to arrive late Jan but I wouldn’t mind seeing a display piece at least.

Thanks
I was informed by my sales advisor that the vehicle will be on display tomorrow (20th December) at Madhuban Toyota, Lower Parel.
greenoval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 21:12   #189
One
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Used this post (Toyota Innova Hycross Review). It was at Madhuban Kurla today and Madhuban Parel tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
In general this is an issue but either by design or sheer coincidence this may be helping to avoid a potentially injurious situation.
By design because the battery is placed there. The Ottoman movement is also extremely slow so chances of injury due to this are extremely low. In fact, movement of everything inside is infuriatingly slow especially the back adjustment angle in second row which needs to be changed to have easy access to the 3rd row.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2022 at 22:09. Reason: As requested
One is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 23:05   #190
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
I checked with Lakozy Toyota, Malad (W) and they seem to have got a display car. On asking about test drives, I was told test drive cars would arrive next month.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 09:24   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I am not a die hard Mahindra fan but I do own a 2015 XUV500 which hasnt given me a single niggle so far except a door rusting which was replaced without any questions. Similarly I do know atleast 5-6 more owners who have niggle free experience. I am expecting the same with XUV700 after initial glitches are resolved. Mahindra is fairly proactive in resolving issues.

Other aspects that you mentioned we can decide after seeing side by side comparison reviews. XUV700 fit finish ride quality has surely improved a fair bit from past. Its not XUV500 vs innova ride quality anymore.
Glad to know that your experience with Mahindra has been free of niggles. But there are a lot of people who have faced issues, in my extended family itself there were 3 mahindras from later lots which turned out to be absolutely pathetic. Even on this very forum, there is a niggles and solutions thread for XUV500 which runs over 300 pages IIRC. So Mahindra although improving, still has a poor record of reliability even at the fag end of product lifecycle.

Coming to other aspects, Toyota's plastics have always been superior to Mahindra. I can't recall the last time I heard a plastic rattle inside a Toyota. While I heard squeaking sounds coming from the dashboard of a senior's XUV500 facelift only a couple of weeks ago. Again, one could argue the maintenance standard and point this out as something caused by the owner, but in that way we'll have excuses for everything. Coming to the ride quality, even owners of XUV700 are complaining about the unpredictable behaviour of the suspension, stating that sometimes it glides through medium sized potholes while sometime it thuds through even the small ones. The noise coming from the struts is another nuisance.

I have great respect for Mahindra as they are trying to bring D-segment rivalling performance and technology to the masses alongwith safety. But they still have a long way to go to make the products truly reliable.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 13:44   #192
BHPian

Checked out the display car today at Madhuban Toyota. I had booked the car on launch day but now that I have seen it in the flesh, I may not go ahead with the purchase. The major reason is the overall length of this car. From the specs, I was well aware that Hycross is longer than the current Innova. But the display car helped fathom the real presence. The hybrid may trump diesel Crysta in city driving conditions but Hycross will be one cumbersome car to maneuver within city limits. The car definitely is a good choice for those who are chauffeur driven (I am not!) and big families. The Crysta parked outside seemed to strike the right balance between practicality and dimensions. Hycross is under-tyred compared to the overall dimensions and the tyre profile seems too low for a car of this size. How it will fare in real world driving conditions and broken roads is unknown!
Also, this car is sub-par for a 40 lakh vehicle (the estimated price for top variant) though it has all creature comforts. The showroom was buzzing with people, so there is interest and the Toyota badge is a trump card. The key sales pitch at the showroom is the salesmen claimed mileage of 24 (wasn't it 21 as per Toyota!). Actual sales post initial euphoria will be interesting to watch. As far as the overall looks go, I personally like understated designs and the Crysta still appeals to me more than Hycross, trying hard to look like a SUV. The side profile and tyres can't hide the fact that it is a MPV (though overall the design language should appeal to majority). I expect Diesel Crysta prices to hold up well. A picture to give an idea of the length of Hycross and the puny tyres -
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20221220-12.39.261.jpeg  

Last edited by greenoval : 20th December 2022 at 13:55.
greenoval is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 15:54   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
The major reason is the overall length of this car. From the specs, I was well aware that Hycross is longer than the current Innova. But the display car helped fathom the real presence. The hybrid may trump diesel Crysta in city driving conditions but Hycross will be one cumbersome car to maneuver within city limits.
Thanks for the update. The length is a little more than Crysta, but little less than Tata Hexa. It has a bit more height compared to Hexa - but that will translate into much more head room even with sunroof considering the fact that the platform is lower than Body-on-Frame. With EPS, I think it will be much better than my Hexa to maneuver around in City. Tyres are definitely an issue I feel. R19 experiment in Hexa had failed miserably with 55 profile (I downsized mine to R16 stock tyres) - so R18 with 50 profile is definitely a concern - agree 100% on that observation.
vinodvayyat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 22:34   #194
One
BHPian

Quote:
From the specs, I was well aware that Hycross is longer than the current Innova. But the display car helped fathom the real presence. The hybrid may trump diesel Crysta in city driving conditions but Hycross will be one cumbersome car to maneuver within city limits.
Have a feeling this will be easier to drive in the city as compared to Crysta considering it has EPS - much like Endeavour which is huge but within city, it is easily maneuverable.
One is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 22:41   #195
BANNED

Quote:
The side profile and tyres can't hide the fact that it is a MPV (though overall the design language should appeal to majority). -
Tyres are soo tiny
Looks like a joke of an SUV
Aditikpurohit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks