Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2023, 16:37   #571

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
I got an opportunity to personally see the vehicle in Pune dealership on 24th Jan. Here are my personal observations.
I would love if you let us know the dealership name. Also, what variant was on display?

Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 16:41   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Am curious about the specifications of new tyre which showroom guys are recommending to replace the factory fitted ones. Could you pls throw some light?
Hi bluejay,
The SA suggested to go for 235/50/R18’s.
However, looking at the difference in tyre size in the pic attached below. I doubt that a difference of 5mm in tyre wall size would affect the ride quality. So I’ll be having another discussion with the SA after the test drive.
I have never changed the tyres from stock size before. Would love to hear from other Bhpians about this tyre upsizing situation for the hycross, without changing the alloys.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-tyre-size.jpeg  

Old 26th January 2023, 18:24   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURU View Post
Hi bluejay,
However, looking at the difference in tyre size in the pic attached below. I doubt that a difference of 5mm in tyre wall size would affect the ride quality. So I’ll be having another discussion with the SA after the test drive.
Against the stock size 225/50R18, the most logical upsize is 235/50R18. But options are limited. So a more practical choice is 225/55R18, which is Jeep Compass size. You get the benefit of a thicker sidewall, and the overall dia remains within tolerable limits. Expect a set of 4 to cost around 55-60 grand.

But for those who want nothing but the best for bad roads can consider 235/55R18, which is also happens to be the default upsize for Compass. Dia is 4.8% bigger than stock size, so it’s a little beyond the normal tolerance. Then again, such an upsize will always be run at slightly lower air pressure than stock. This is a std practice while upsizing and it reduces the dia difference. Overall, this will provide maximum peace of mind over bad roads and for general rough use. Plenty of options are available from all leading manufacturers for all budgets, from 12k apiece to 24k apiece.

Of course any change to the default size can create issues with warranty. Toyota has really screwed up with its choice of tire size and has created unnecessary complications for customers.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 26th January 2023 at 18:31.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 19:15   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Confirmed that there are no request sensor/s present. (Even my swift has it on both front doors)
That is because the sensor is integrated in the door handle itself! Insert your hand while pulling the door handle to open it and the sensor detects the hand and unlocks the car. While locking the car, tap on the lines present on the top of the handle (at the front-end of the handle as seen in the picture) to lock the car.

This eliminates the need of having a physical request sensor button.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-hycross-request-sensor.png

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 26th January 2023 at 19:16.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 19:43   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
That is because the sensor is integrated in the door handle itself! Insert your hand while pulling the door handle to open it and the sensor detects the hand and unlocks the car. While locking the car, tap on the lines present on the top of the handle (at the front-end of the handle as seen in the picture) to lock the car.

This eliminates the need of having a physical request sensor button.
Oh ok. Then that's great! Hope I am not missing on any other points since those are more clear physical aspects which I observed.
Old 26th January 2023, 19:50   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragRunner View Post
I would love if you let us know the dealership name. Also, what variant was on display?

Thanks
I had been to Sonak Toyota. They have both ZX and ZX(O) and hence no visible difference in them. They have pearl white and signature Blackish Ageha on display vehicles. I heard that even Shaw Toyota has received display vehicle now.

When checked, they (Sonak guys) told that they are waiting on Toyota to communicate on which vehicle (out of these two) to be made available for the test drive later. No comments on dates by which test drives will start.
prajakt_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 20:08   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURU View Post
Hi bluejay,
I have never changed the tyres from stock size before. Would love to hear from other Bhpians about this tyre upsizing situation for the hycross, without changing the alloys.
Thanks in advance!
There will not be any significant change in ride quality with that much of difference. The type of tyre probably might make a difference (Goodyear Assurance isn't a comfort oriented tyre by priority - so you can try changing to a comfort oriented tyre). I had downsized my alloys of my Hexa XTA from R19 to R16 (235/55 R19 to 235/70 R16) after which I noticed significant improvement in ride quality - this itself can be noted only in very bad roads and gravel paths. I would recommend downsizing to R16 alloys offered in GX variant and increasing the width to 225 or 235 if alloys are compatible for it - that will be the best option w.r.to safety aspect as well.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 21:33   #578

Thanks, Shreyans and Vinod for your inputs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Against the stock size 225/50R18, the most logical upsize is 235/50R18. But options are limited. So a more practical choice is 225/55R18, which is Jeep Compass size. You get the benefit of a thicker sidewall, and the overall dia remains within tolerable limits. Expect a set of 4 to cost around 55-60 grand.
Seems like 225/55 R18’s are the safest and best option with the stock (ZX variant) alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
I would recommend downsizing to R16 alloys offered in GX variant and increasing the width to 225 or 235 if alloys are compatible for it - that will be the best option w.r.to safety aspect as well.
If the ride quality turns out to be very disappointing in the test drive, I will probably have to consider downsizing the alloys too.
Old 27th January 2023, 07:43   #579
BHPian

Since all Toyotas in Bangalore decided to keep the unveiling at 11:00 AM on the 27th and I'm not planning to waste my working day on a Unveil I decided to visit on the 26th itself. The car was in the back of the showroom.

Here is my initial feeling about the car ( If any of my points are incorrect please do correct me )

From the front, the car does feel SUVish but the white color does not make it feel like a new model more like a crystal facelift
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-front.jpg

The back doesn't feel like the latest car more of like a 2015-16 type of design
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-back.jpg

When a small portion of the car is photographed it does feel like a huge SUV
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-front-view.jpg

The boot is amazing considering the competition but even crysta excelled in it
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-boot.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-3rd-row-folded.jpg

Coming to the dash it does not feel like it belongs to a 37 lakh car but one thing is it's built to last for sure.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-dash.jpg

The switches on the door arm of XUV have a backlight and are in a piano black finish but are not much sturdy comparatively, the hycross does not have a piano finish or backlight, not even markings but feels built to last
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-door.jpg

The first row is actually really good and it's easy to find a suitable position for anyone
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-3rd-row.jpg

The second row I need not even mention
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-2nd-row.jpg

Tires are a bit disappointing like the previous discussion I feel something should be done
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-tyre.jpg

The sunroof is a great addition but sad to see they added a blue filter for the blue effect rater than using blue lights
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-sunroof.jpg

Other than this some things i notices is the brake light only one part was lighting up not sure why
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-break-light.jpg

The interiors feel like should have been more of a light theme to have that luxurious feeling. currently, I feel it's going to feel dirty in normal use
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-pxl_20230126_074117087.jpg

And coming to the automated boot the boot does not stop for any object you have to give it a physical push to get it to stop. ie when it comes down you need to give a push upward to get it to stop

Now waiting for a test drive to determine the driving dynamics
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-rear-2.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-pxl_20230126_072054961.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-pxl_20230126_072053808.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-engine.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-pxl_20230126_072040326.jpg  

jerin.v is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 08:21   #580
BHPian

The Team BHP official review states “The VX rides on 17" alloy wheels shod with 215/60 section tyres. We are sure these variants will offer a more comfortable ride than the ZX and ZX(O).”

Would this be the right way to go? Is there an option for either 225/60 or 235/60 available on the R17 alloys?
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:15   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Is there an option for either 225/60 or 235/60 available on the R17 alloys?
Going from the stock 215/60/R17 to 235/60/R17 makes a 3.5% difference in the overall circumference and it's not recommended to go above 2% when upsizing the tyres.

The correct tyres size for upsizing is 235/55/R17 which makes a difference of a mere 0.07% in overall circumference & Ground clearance also will remain the same as on stock tyres.
NA-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 10:34   #582
BHPian

Got the following details from Nandi Toyota today.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img20230127wa0008.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img20230127wa0007.jpg  

kavu75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 11:56   #583
BHPian

Deliveries started already? Found this on youtube today.
irdevanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 12:40   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerin.v View Post

Thank you for the photographs!

When a small portion of the car is photographed it does feel like a huge SUV
Attachment 2410796

Did the car look like a SUV from the side? I have seen photos, but I am not sure cameras can do justice to the actual viewing.

The sunroof is a great addition but sad to see they added a blue filter for the blue effect rater than using blue lights
Attachment 2410795

So its a blue plastic case on white light, passing off as ambient lighting. Sad.

Now waiting for a test drive to determine the driving dynamics
Would be interesting to check such a long wheelbase MPV with small-ish profile tyres cross Bangalore potholes and bumps without scraping underside.
Old 27th January 2023, 14:07   #585
Team-BHP Support

Just had a detailed look at the Hycross at a Pune showroom. Here are my observations:

+ The styling is pretty contemporary
- However, do watch out for how high the hood is

+ The feature list is very 2022/2023; there's nothing you'll miss, esp in the ZX(O). Barring ventilated seats, 360 deg camera and ADAS, even the ZX has pretty much the same kit for ~ 1 lakh less.

The Ottoman seats: They're a party trick and I feel they're going to be just that. I don't see real-world application. Even with the front seat at the forward most position, you need to be in the lower 5' bracket to have your feet comfortably up

In the upright position, the leg support is ideal for kids; most adults are going to find it very uncomfortable, given the width available.

The first and middle row seating felt a little lower than the Crysta; the third row is better than the Crysta. The slight but noticeable lower seating on the middle row makes its presence felt given that you can't extend your feet, given the battery pack placed below the front seats.

Now the big question of quality:

The drop in quality is noticeable; eg. in the a/c, or the window controls. Is it worth cancelling your booking. Maybe not. Is it a dealbreaker in a 35 lakh car. Maybe not.

But where it is more prominent - small things. Eg.

1) The ORVM auto-fold wasn't smooth and on one plane; it was clear that there was minute vertical play in the mechanism. Observed this with both display vehicles.

2) The hand rest for the middle row captain seats behave funny; they don't lock in one position consistently. Sometimes they lock right at the bottom, sometimes on top, and move freely in the 90 deg position. Again, observed this with both display vehicles.

3) The second row is on sliders (i.e. not on hooks), and even that locks only specific points. This becomes a problem when you want the seat to be at the forward most, while ingress/egress. You want to be able to hold it but the damn thing slides! Again, observed this with both display vehicles.

- Given that the second row doesn't tumble, ingress/egress is a slight challenge since the available space has reduced.

* This is open to personal discretion but the steering controls don't have a strong tactile feeling to them; the buttons are in a very awkward territory between touch / press-button type. These put me off the most.

+ That the third row goes flat, and becomes flush with the boot will make carrying cargo extremely easy, for those that don't intend to use the third row too often.

- Toyota could have used nice LED lamps throughout the cabin, esp. focussed reading lamps. Instead, you have the same lamps as you do in the Crysta.

* Lastly, the steering is VERY light. Not sure if this is a + or -.

That's about all for now. The biggest point is the drive/ride quality; will have to wait 7-10 days for that.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th January 2023 at 14:21.
libranof1987 is offline   (36) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks