Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2023, 13:21   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Ten Innova Hycross units delivered by a Toyota dealer in a single day for the first batch customers.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20230206_131628.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20230206_131633.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20230206_131635.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20230206_131638.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th February 2023 at 13:30.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 13:22   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I have a feeling Nandi Toyota is pulling some weird moves, the cars that I see in stock seem to be most probably based on the booking Toyota received on launch day however they are not allocating it as per direct bookings but based on dealer bookings or other influence.
Does anyone have an idea about how this can be escalated to TKM? What is the point of booking early and directly with the company if the dealership does not honour it?
But I don't think even the bookings that we made online actually go towards an official list in TKM then just end up with the dealer and the dealer makes the final order towards the plant.

Even I did feel like they are alloting as per their wish but I don't think the people who actually got their cars alloted did anything different. I'm not saying they are or might not do that.

There are 2-3 people from this thread that got their cars alloted from Nandi Toyota. They can give us an idea.
jerin.v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 19:43   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
They look same to me. If they put this car inside the showroom, that would be even worse. The picture below was taken yesterday, same location, looks like same number too.
Yes, it is possible that it is your car. Most of the time, dealers will let prospective customers check out already allocated cars just to see what that particular colour/variant looks like. They won't let anyone other than their staff drive them however. If they do, that's a red flag. I was allowed to sit in and start a ZX(o) variant for 5 mins under the careful watch of the salesman to see how the ventilated seats and infotainment worked. The car allocated to me too is most likely also going to be checked out by other people before it is delivered to me.

My advice is to not worry too much about it. Your car will anyway be driven by the transport people who load it into the truck, the dealership personnel who move it around the lot and the ones who drive it to RTO for registration processes. The whole getting a new 'untouched' car thing is a myth just due to how our RTO formalities work. As long as there is no damage, I am happy. A car is made for people to sit in anyway and the RTO process just can't be avoided.

The dealbreakers for me are :

1. If it has to be driven from a dealership in another city to the current dealership. I rejected a Scorpio-N that was offered to me because it would be driven all the way from Kozhikode to my dealership in Thrissur. I don't trust some underpaid dealership driver with driving a brand new car 100-200 kms in traffic and bad roads. Their only job is to deliver it quickly without any visual damage so God knows how they will drive it. They will most likely abuse the car and jump it through potholes and such.

2. If it has been used as a test drive car: we all know how prospective customers drive something that they didn't pay for.

3. If it has been used as a display car inside the showroom: There will be quite a lot of people checking it out and some kind of abuse is inevitable. Some will also try scratching plastics and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerin.v View Post
But I don't think even the bookings that we made online actually go towards an official list in TKM then just end up with the dealer and the dealer makes the final order towards the plant.

Even I did feel like they are alloting as per their wish but I don't think the people who actually got their cars alloted did anything different. I'm not saying they are or might not do that.

There are 2-3 people from this thread that got their cars alloted from Nandi Toyota. They can give us an idea.
I think you are right. Toyota corporate doesn't seem to have an official way to keep track of customer bookings like Mahindra. I received a call from the dealership claiming that mine is the first booking and then later they asked me if I wanted a non ZX(o) variant or a different colour.
Old 6th February 2023, 19:51   #709
BHPian

Quote:

I did the booking on launch day through Toyota website. My branch is Whitefield. I believe it is a combination of your vehicle choice and what the dealer gets alloted. Smaller branches with less bookings like my case increased the early allotment. In Nandi, if you persist, you will be prioritized. I was not very keen on a car from the first lot. But my SA was behind me and therefore decided to take it.
Upgrade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 21:00   #710
BHPian

Saw the first one parked in my neighbourhood in white colour. Looks good but not a huge presence. Maybe need to look during day time. Blue one might look better. It belongs to person working in Toyota ! Had the Yaris before (lot of Toyota employees had Yaris)
Old 7th February 2023, 00:16   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
However, a small word of caution for users/ potential buyers, this is not a car I would fill 6-7 people very often with. While as oxymoron-ic that may sound, see the picture clicked during my quick standby look this morning.

Attachment 2414648

I have never seen an Innova buckle down with 6 people onboard. Never!
Quote:

7. In power mode with 6 people in, it accelerated to 100 in almost 10.5 seconds. Eco mode can only be used in cities and is sufficient.

11. On loading 6 people the car does dip down at the back a bit and the small profile tires do make it look bad.

Rear dip with 6 passengers in

Attachment 2414845
2 people have already pointed towards visible dip on loading the car with 6 people, it would be interesting to see how it appears with full 8 people & some luggage in it.

@jerin.v - since you drove it with 6 people, was there any loss of power or pressure on the engine while driving in normal mode ?

If there are visible issues in power & suspension in plains, I am afraid my fear of it loosing steam while going uphill in hilly areas would come true.
Old 7th February 2023, 01:43   #712
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...mpliant-4.html (List all cars that are E20 and E20+ petrol compliant)

Guys, Please have a look at this thread!

Since Innova Hycross is a completely new product and deliveries started in 2023 only. So is this engine E20+ compliant? Can someone please fetch this information from your respective dealers?

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2023 at 11:03. Reason: Formatting edit.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 07:45   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
2 people have already pointed towards visible dip on loading the car with 6 people, it would be interesting to see how it appears with full 8 people & some luggage in it.

@jerin.v - since you drove it with 6 people, was there any loss of power or pressure on the engine while driving in normal mode ?

If there are visible issues in power & suspension in plains, I am afraid my fear of it loosing steam while going uphill in hilly areas would come true.
It does not feel under-powered at all. Tried reaching 100 and even at that point it was fine.

But the power is very linear (people who have driven CVT or scooters can relate). In other cars when we give more throttle we get that sudden boost of power that does not come here but the power is present. Torque is less on paper but considering an electric motor can deliver torque easily I don't think it's that bad. When I test-drove in Nandi there is a 22-30 degree incline at the gate the car took it in EV mode itself. But EV mode and eco mode are only suited to city.

There are YouTubers from Indonesia who have reached higher speeds and took the car uphill with 6 proper adults and it did do its job.

People who have driven petrol cars with 1 liter in 5 seaters and 1.5-liter in 7 seaters will feel this better. From 1.5-liter petrol engines in 5 seaters, we will feel this kind of similar. But diesel cars with 1.5-liter in 5-seaters and 2-liters in 7-seaters will feel the power is too linear and will miss the sudden power that comes with throttle input and the sudden acceleration. Hycross does accelerate and overtake in higher modes but it's more of a casual family car-type approach.

In simple terms coming from cars like petrol 1.2 liter i10, jazz, and 1.5 liter carens or ertiga will feel this better. Coming from 1.5 petrol honda city, creta or seltos will feel this kind similar or just a bit lower. But coming from 1.5-liter diesel in honda city, creta or seltos will feel the less kick. 2-liter petrol and diesel if you have driven of XUV700 then you will feel a big difference. But never does it feel under-powered.

Now I come from a CVT honda city with 120 bhp, 145 nm, and the car weighs 1500 kg now coming to hycross it's 183 bhp, 206 nm, and the car weighs 2000 kg so it's similar for me and the CVT makes it more or less felt the same

The above is just considering automatics. Manual cars we do have more flexibility with the power. Same if the automatic is a dsg. Cars like polo, rapid, vento, slavia, taigun etc all have like good amount of power in their 1.5 liters mated with dsg

Quote:
Yes dip is there but like people stated with the tyres both are more evidently noticed in photos coming to in person it does feel ok. Then the new mono chassis and suspension setup is the main reason behind this.

It would have been more if the wheels base was less and the 2nd row was directly adjacent to the wheels.

But someone has to try a fully loaded car with 8 people and luggage and then take it to a hill region to understand. Chances of steaming out are less but dip and the effect on ground clearance should be noted.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2023 at 11:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Also editing for caps and punctuation where needed. Deleting reference to high speeds.
jerin.v is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th February 2023, 10:54   #714
BHPian

Quote:
My previous post is just considering automatics. Manual cars we do have more flexibility with the power.
Same if the automatic is a dsg. Cars like polo, rapid, vento, slavia, taigun etc all have like good amount of power in their 1.5 liters mated with dsg

Yes dip is there but like people stated with the tyres both are more evidently noticed in photos coming to in person it does feel ok. Then the new mono chassis and suspension setup is the main reason behind this.
But someone has to try a fully loaded car with 8 people and luggage and then take it to a hill region to understand.
Chances of steaming out are less but dip and the effect on ground clearance should be noted.
Thanks for your inputs, it helps in clearing some doubts.

I might sound like a noob but could it be possible that Toyota knew about the dip, that's why they chose a small tire size so that it don't scrape against the wheel arches.
CA Dhruv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 11:08   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...mpliant-4.html (List all cars that are E20 and E20+ petrol compliant)

Guys, Please have a look at this thread !
Since Innova Hycross is a completely new product and deliveries started in 2023 only. So is this engine E20+ Compliant?
Can someone please fetch this information from your respective dealers?
This link talks about statement of an SVP from Toyota on the issue.
https://www.v3cars.com/news/all-toyo...-e20-flex-fuel

Since Maruti has officially confirmed that all cars from it's stable will be E20 compatible from mid 2023 and since hycross will be sold from their stable by end of 2023, we can assume that hycross would also be E20 compatible as it's highly unlikely that Maruti will roll it out with a tweaked engine.

But it would be nice if we can reach out to showroom's senior officials to get the confirmation from them. Twitter handle of Toyota will also be a good channel to raise this query on. Twitter handle of Toyota India is #Toyota_India. I have asked my query on twitter here,

https://twitter.com/SrivSatish/statu...o2EX7nogw&s=19

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2023 at 16:07. Reason: Formatting edit in quoted post
BlueJay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 12:18   #716
BHPian

Quote:

I might sound like a noob but could it be possible that Toyota knew about the dip, that's why they chose a small tire size so that it don't scrape against the wheel arches.
Absolutely, hence we should not fiddle with the tyre sizes and all post purchase. However, I still feel that 17 inchers would have been a better choice for Hycross. Same tyre size: 215 60 R17 does the duty in super successful Creta as well and same thing they are offering in VX. That should have been the size on ZX as well. Also I would like to add that the wheel cladding should be present on Hycross as standard across all variants as its there as standard in Indonesia variants as well. In India people go for looks first ! This seems to be a missed opportunity for Toyota.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 14:45   #717
BHPian

Quote:

Yes probably that is the reason. And even the reason why they are providing just captain seats in ZX might be the same. Cause currently with the added features (speakers, subwoofer, sunroof glass etc) the weight of the car will increase between 60-80 kgs so that's like an full adult and given a bench seat many of us will try to adjust 4 people in 2nd row that will bring the total occupancy to 9 plus luggage plus some kids then the car will surely weigh down.
jerin.v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 15:43   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Yes probably that is the reason. And even the reason why they are providing just captain seats in ZX might be the same. Cause currently with the added features (speakers, subwoofer, sunroof glass etc) the weight of the car will increase between 60-80 kgs so that's like an full adult and given a bench seat many of us will try to adjust 4 people in 2nd row that will bring the total occupancy to 9 plus luggage plus some kids then the car will surely weigh down.
The reason for giving 7 seats (actually 6) in ZX is because Toyota feels that seating 6 people is much safer considering the fact that we have curtain airbags. Also the cabin looks more upmarket and spacious and luxurious in a 6 seater !
Paritoshkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 16:02   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
The reason for giving 7 seats (actually 6) in ZX is because Toyota feels that seating 6 people is much safer considering the fact that we have curtain airbags. Also the cabin looks more upmarket and spacious and luxurious in a 6 seater !
But that's just an excuse that they give right. They even used to tell the lack of sunroof in any of their cars was due to safety. Now both Hycross and Hyryder have it .

And airbags to bench seats have no connection. If that was the case then Taigun and XUV700 would not have been the top safety rated cars. And the absence of the middle row middle seat increases the chance of the middle person in 3rd row to reach the front during a crash, to prevent this we do have seatbelts.

Toyota should understand Innova user base is families and when two families join they mostly do have 8 people.
And if they had any concern for safety they should have provided 6 airbags as standard
jerin.v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 16:12   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the Crysta did not have a bench seat in its top-end variant. Only the GX variant of Crysta had bench seats. So It is unlikely to have anything to do with weight. More of a policy decision. This lack of bench seats in the top variant is the only reason for a customer to choose a Fortuner 2WD variant instead of a Hycross. Maybe it is purposefully done to force those people to consider the next segment.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed