Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 08:30   #751
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURU View Post

Would love to hear opinions from other Bhpians who have driven the vehicle.
Would also like to hear about the feedback of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde’s, if possible.
Thanks
A word of caution on those Pirelli Scorpion Verdes' - I changed mine on the brand new Tucson from MRF Wanderers to the Scorpion Verde because I wanted to try them out. I think they are nicely grippy, have less noise, and are easier on the power steering resistance. Mileage is also good (current run on the Tucson Diesel is 12.8 kmpl with 50% highway. But they are stiff. You can't beat the Michelin Primacy for ride quality. I've owned 3 in the past and these Pirelli's still have some catching up to do.
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 09:18   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURU View Post
Would also like to hear about the feedback of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde’s, if possible.
Thanks
I have them as stock tires on my XC90. They're what I call a decent good tire, not great. The dry and wet traction is excellent but snow traction could've been better. Ride and noise is also good, but can't really praise the ride much as my wheels are 21" (275 R40 21). They're also on the expensive side.

I think I'll recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport over these.
inwester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 11:29   #753
BHPian

Finally did a test drive of the ZX(O) and decided to cancel the booking from Nandi Toyota, primarily due to two reasons,

1. Although I booked on launch day, I was told this month is not possible, they will "check" once they receive next month stock. Really fed up of the way order handling is being done by dealerships.

2. Drive is fine, did not feel under powered or very MUVish however the "feel" of the interiors is just not up to the mark. Even the leather wrapped steering felt plasticky, there is hard, scratchy plastic on and behind the steering which did not suit me.

I would buy it despite the dealership experience if this was not self driven but considering I am going to do most of the driving, I need a better experience.

Have requested for a cancellation and refund, now have a bit of regret for keeping 50k sitting for months without a positive outcome
Bhodrolok is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 16:55   #754
BHPian

Have a ZX booking made a day prior to launch.

The sales experience has been pathetic. Other than the booking receipt, nothing has been ever sent to me. There is nothing done proactively - I am the one following up for when car is available in showroom, when test drives are available, what is the price sheet etc.

Test drives are only available for petrol starting this week and hybrid 'will take time, sir' - which is their standard response when I have been following up for tentative delivery date for last few weeks. Bunch of clueless folks !

Anyway, trying to overlook it since the sales experience is transient - what matters most is the car. But still ... not used to this level of lack of customer care
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 17:14   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Have a ZX booking made a day prior to launch.

The sales experience has been pathetic. ... But still ... not used to this level of lack of customer care
I would say "Walk away". Come back in 6 months when the initial sizzle has settled down.

Coming from my experience with Crysta, I think buying a just-released model, even if it is Toyota, is a mistake. I had a lot of trouble (see my ownership report here (Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9))). But people who bought the car slightly later have had all the initial kinks ironed out and a more well-sorted product.

No reason to think the HyCross experience will be any different.

Like you say - a car is a long term thing. No particular point in being among the first hundred (or even the FIRST!!!) to get a new model.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 19:59   #756

Finally the car has arrived in some of the NCR Showrooms

After multiple follow ups and almost giving up, i finally got an update the Toyota Hycross is now available on display in the NCR. I was informed that the car can be seen on Esprit's showroom in Mohan Co-operative Area near Sarita Vihar and their Noida showroom. Without any delay, quickly drove down to the Noida showroom.

Initial Observations:

Showroom has VX model on display and test drives to start in next week or another 10-days based on how they receive the vehicle. In terms of size and overall body structure, would say it matches the Crysta. The doors have that thud sound when you close. Overall felt much bigger than my current car which i drive (Honda City 2010). The showroom team is eager to answer any questions and very polite. Interiors, since its the VX version, not much impressive but i would say they would do the job. The INR 5 lakh difference in prices is too steep between the VX and ZX model. I have read about the quality of plastics being discussed in the posts above, i will not be critical of them as they seemed fine to me. For me, the most critical thing is their engine and its overall performance. However, the disappointing part is the captain seats, and if the family size is big you are either forced to go with a VX 8 seater or make people seated in the last row. Btw, i did try out the 3rd row - unless reclined its strictly for children, 2 adults might manage for a short period, but a big no for long journeys.

Booking - the showroom mentioned almost an year waiting for ZX, which i am sure is true at other places as well and 3-4 months for a VX model.

I am not sure if its worth waiting that long; but then a question to the experienced BHP veterans - what choices are we left with in the 4 cylinder segment. The VAG cars have their share of problems, and me being a Honda users since past 15 years find it hard to imagine using them. Hyundai is a big no, somehow never liked their engines when compared to Honda. Other than Toyota do not see any other brand meeting or exceeding Honda in terms of product quality.
vkarora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 20:56   #757
BHPian

I managed to take delivery last weekend and here's my summary.
I am coming from an Innova Crysta Diesel to Top End ZX HyCross Hybrid.
- Build quality seems to be more of Maruti's than Toyota
- Not a Drivers vehicle. You would hate driving it if you are used to Diesel or Turbo petrol vehicles.
- This should be a purely chauffeur driven car.
- Its @857KM today and avg mileage is ~15kmpl (6.7L/100Km) mostly highway miles here. (Mod Note: Updated on 12th Feb 2023)
- Going for first service this weekend and hoping it improves mileage.

Spoiler Alert - You dont even get basic mats with vehicle. Everything is added.

Rest all you probably have seen.

I wish I could be more elaborate.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230206-18.29.19.jpeg

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th February 2023 at 09:02. Reason: Correcting mileage figure from 6.7 to 15 as per your later clarification so as not to cause confusion :)
nbot is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 21:51   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarora View Post
Other than Toyota do not see any other brand meeting or exceeding Honda in terms of product quality.
I have been a Honda 2010 City owner as well and actively considering XUV700 and the Hycross. Infact have booked both. My needs are more of a 5 seater SUV with considerations on Design, Technology and Safety.

I have experienced both the Hycross and the XUV700 in person. Designwise, I think the XUV700 is much more SUV-ish externally than the Hycross, and the interiors are much premium looking. The XUV Petrol Automatic felt a rush of power and actually felt slick to drive-much like the City especially in overtaking in Bangalore congested city roads. Like many others, I am still awaiting to drive Hycross, while a lucky few are picking up Deliveries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I would say "Walk away". Come back in 6 months when the initial sizzle has settled down..
On the topic of quality, I am sure Toyota is a brand hard to beat. But even they seem to falter on initial launches from experienced Toyota Owners in the thread above. This has caused me to think twice on my Hycross booking.

For sure, No-one can beat Toyota on the re-sale value or 10 plus years of Product Ownership delight (OK maybe Honda, but it is an endangered species now).
Old 9th February 2023, 21:56   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I would say "Walk away". Come back in 6 months when the initial sizzle has settled down.
I had a lot of trouble (see my ownership report here (Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9))). But people who bought the car slightly later have had all the initial kinks ironed out and a more well-sorted product.

Like you say - a car is a long term thing. No particular point in being among the first hundred (or even the FIRST!!!) to get a new model.
Couldn't agree more. Just read your whole ownership thread & man didn't know that owning a Toyota can be such a pain. There should be class actions against them. Living in today's age how can they claim such ridiculous delivery times. Are they so incompetent or have they become so greedy ?

As have extensively read throughout this forum, its always best to wait for atleast a year before buying a fresh product of the shelves. As OEM's take customers for granted and use them for R&D. Though buying later comes at a premium but it gives piece of mind too.

When it comes to hycross, they already have 4 airbags missing in the VX (hopefully GOI doesnt postpone the deadline again) and dipping of rear when boarded with 6 or more passengers is going to be another issue. Quality of interiors can be another issue as read it in your thread that dashboard & air vents developed cracks.

God bless early adopters.
Old 9th February 2023, 22:30   #760
BHPian

Took delivery of Innova Hybrid VX 7 STR from Ravindu Toyota.
Color is Black Ageha, and it’s truly awesome. Got most of accessories from them fitted with bill of 90K. With VX , don’t ask for window blinds as it’s built in.

Car glides like a train from start and you cannot make out when it’s in EV or petrol mode unless you press the acceleration too hard. No vibration or body roll

The best 7-8 seater on sale in India now. There is simply no competition. As I mentioned earlier, I booked in Oct’22 and got today. The waiting time for new bookings in Bengaluru is 18 months as per Ravindu Toyota dealer, most bookings are are for Ageha black or crystal white.

Btw, for most of us cursing Toyota for high prices, the actual factory cost is 16 Lakhs, while the rest of 14 Lakhs goes to Govt (GST + Roadtax +insurance).
I’ll document a detailed review in coming weeks.

The most asked question is Kitya Detha Hai ?
In the limited run from showroom to home, the average is 19KMPL!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-12219bf01a774bbd986d6b294f44a9c3.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-a5e756de92654cbbbc629206b1b06fa3.jpeg  

Last edited by harishpr : 9th February 2023 at 22:37.
harishpr is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 22:31   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbot View Post
- Its @857KM today and avg mileage is 6.7 Km mostly highway miles here.

Attachment 2416702
The mileage after 857km is just 6.7 which is so less. Could you elaborate more on the mileage? like how much you got in the city and highway respectively.

I had doubts the car would have to burn more fuel on highways considering it's 2-liter engine with less torque and hybrid tech wont work much on highways. But did hope to see more than that of 2.7 crysta petrol.

If we take petrol cost as 100 then 857 km would have cost you around 13k worth of fuel. I send 7k worth of fuel to my native Thrissur, Kerala, and back which is around 1000 km on my Honda City CVT.

My friend goes to Kottayam and back around 1200km with 10k worth of diesel in Fortuner.

So at that mileage, I will be spending 15k worth of petrol for 1000 km.
Old 9th February 2023, 22:41   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Just went through the video and comments and it seems it wasn't Auto Emergency braking at play in this scenario and it was the driver applying the brakes as apparently their older system does not detect kids or pedestrians of this height. Do correct me if i'm mistaken.
I think it was humanly impossible to display such a sharp reaction time and manually apply breaks to save the kid, moreover the kid started and ended in the blind spot for such a higher driver position. This is the real usecase of emergency breaking, the car takes over from the driver and do what it thinks needs to be done. In India scenario though it's benefits are questionable though hence Toyota played safe and didn't roll it out (as per official manual). The emergency warning feature I suspect will be a dud. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and wait for field reports before commenting on its utility.

Since the car already has all the necessary hardware in place to enable automated breaking, it should be technically possible for them to enable it via a software patch in future, whenever competitive landscape demands so. Whether they will actually do so for existing customers or only for the new ones will be a business call.
Old 9th February 2023, 22:52   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbot View Post

Its @857KM today and avg mileage is 6.7 Km mostly highway miles here.
Congratulations on your purchase. Everyone is talking about Ageha black (i've also booked Ageha black), White, but your car looks smashing. Also 6.7 Km on highway is scary mileage to me and smiley you've used makes me wonder if it's 6.7 or 16.7. Please confirm and do share your opinion as i might get car in another 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post

Took delivery of Innova Hybrid VX 7 STR from Ravindu Toyota. Color is Black Ageha, and it’s truly awesome.
Congratulations. I'm in process of getting VX 8S in Ageha in 2 weeks time (I was'nt prepared with early delivery. Have to sort Finances).
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 22:55   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Why is it that this random small YouTuber is the only one who has made a comprehensive video about all these features? All the big name car reviewers had the car to themselves for days and all they could do was talk about mileage and seat comfort while doing sponsored road trips.
Simple reason is that the media folks were allowed only an hour and a half with the car if I’m not mistaken, in which they had to give their impressions.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th February 2023 at 12:08. Reason: Privacy details edited as per request. Thanks for support.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 00:29   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Everyone is talking about Ageha black (i've also booked Ageha black), White, but your car looks smashing. Also 6.7 Km on highway is scary mileage to me and smiley you've used makes me wonder if it's 6.7 or 16.7.
I as equally surprised. Engine doesn't respond to meet the torque we are used to from Diesels. If you push hard you don't get much mileage.

I will try to get a pic of this if possible. It says 6.7/ avg last 100 Kms. Hoping engine will do better once it gets the first service. The car for sure doesn't seem to be for performance.

It has bodyroll. Can't cut through the steep turns with confidence.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th February 2023 at 08:13. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
nbot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed