Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 18:34   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
The indicator on audio alarm is very low. You may have to keep an eye to get yourself not cought with wrong indicator light on. My Etios made right amount of noise.

Congrats on the new car! I find that things like indicator sound etc are just personal preference since you are used to your older car. Once you are used to this one, you might feel that the indicator sound is too loud when you get back in an Etios after a year.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:34   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got to see the Hycross at the MGF Megacity Toyota showroom in Gurgaon today. They had received the car only today and the variant on display was a VX Hybrid variant in white colour.
In white colour the car looks quite big and has good road presence. The exteriors look quite good to me and the shape is like an adaptation between Innova and Fortuner.
However coming to interiors it is just so plain jane and dull! It is just bare minimum functional but built to last.
I was surprised to see that even the window switch buttons are unmarked and very plain looking. Even cars 2 segments down have better interior finish and buttons!
Here are some pics I took of the car and also the spec sheets.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_163231.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_163220.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_163011.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_163004.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_162855.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_163655.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_163643.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230211_162914.jpg

In my experience, the Hector plus that I have (1 year old now) has far plusher and better looking interiors than the Hycross. But the Hycross is good from the technology perspective (Hybrid) and also the Toyota brand reliability. So for now I have decided to retain my Hycross booking but probably downgrade my Zxo booking to VX but wait for delivery till the VX variant gets 6 airbags.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th February 2023 at 18:39.
Behemoth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:38   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Hi

Great to see you take the delivery of your VX! I am getting mine next Saturday Feb 18.

Few quick questions
1. Are you getting any accessories from outside? I’ve told Nandi that I won’t even be taking the basic accessories.

2. How’s the quality of the music system? Any upgrades planned?

3. Can we do a recording from the front camera?

Thanks in advance! And congratulations once again!
I think accessory availablity is still not great. We may have to wait for a month or two.

Music system is decent. I am not a big connoisseur. But the few songs that I heard sounded pleasant. Wired Android Auto paired seamlessly.

I don't think we can do recording as it is like XUV.
Upgrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:41   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Congrats on the new car! I find that things like indicator sound etc are just personal preference since you are used to your older car. Once you are used to this one, you might feel that the indicator sound is too loud when you get back in an Etios after a year.
Hopefully! The AC fan sound submerges the indicator sound. I hope I learn the art of listening.
Old 11th February 2023, 18:58   #800
BHPian

I would say this is a safe and business friendly launch from Toyota. They have elevated the strengths of Innova brand and given a variant which will easily last for 7-8 years before the next generation.

Innova will continue to be car well differentiated from based on already established pros. There is essentially no direct competition as other mainstream brands are fighting for other segments.
Old 11th February 2023, 19:18   #801
BHPian

Quote:
First time when we saw the car was in the Nandi Whitefield showroom. This was the first time we saw the VX variant too. The immediate thought was the daunting size.
I had booked Hyryder and yesterday I went to do PDI of the car allotted to me at Espirit Toyota Noida. The moment I reached the showroom, my parents immediately reached the spot where pearl white colour Hycross was displayed it was VX variant. For a moment we had had forgotten that we had come for pre delivery inspection of Hyryder. We spent 30 minutes with the Hycross and my mother checked the On-Road price on the brochure and she immediately said, "son this Hycross is priced Rs28 LAC and it appears like a 40LAC car, on the other hand the car you are buying is a Rs22 LAC car but it appears like a Rs15LAC car. Please cancel your Hyryder booking and instead pay Rs 6LAC more and buy this Hycross. To have further discussions in the family we immediately left the showroom without the PDI .In the Evening I went to the biggest showroom in North India(Galaxy Toyota, Moti Nagar). One thing I noticed at various showrooms that the waiting period of VX variant is not the same accross the showrooms. At most places it's 15months for all Hybrid Variants but at some showrooms it's 2-4months. Something is seriously wrong with Toyota booking process
I could not sleep yesterday and pros and cons of owning Hycross was crossing my mind. I can not wait too long before I ask the showroom to pass on my Hyryder to next customer in queue.
Today morning it was very clear to my , I just can't use Hycross for my daily use and decided to go back to showroom for Hyryder PDI.
We are small family with 4 adults and a small kid

I drive 90% of the time alone to my work. I am a doctor and my use case involve driving a lot after tiring day of work. Most of the time while driving either I am too tired, feel sleepish and my reflexes are really down. Although I consider myself an expert driver with a experience of more than 3LAC kms but i am now on the wrong side of 40yrs, so my reflexes are further going to go down. That's one of the reason now i am looking to buy Automatic cars instead of manual. I have driven safari, hector a lot so i am comfortable driving SUVs of this size. But Hycross feel way to bigger than both of these, size was really intimidating. Although it's just 5cm bigger than Hector and 10Cm bigger than Safari.
So what happens if i own Hycross for daily use.

I will drive for a year or two and it develops scratches and ugly dents in my crumpish hospital parking. I start avoiding trips which involves parking in tight spots, so my in city trips need to be well planned. I decide to use Hycross only on those days when i am expected to reach hospital early , i am may find a good parking spot easily. My yearly denting painting charges keep increasing and resale value keep falling. I finally decide to hire a chauffeur for my work. Or i may decide to buy another small car for just those days. Or i may decide to sell it off after 3/4 years.

So the whole thought just defeats the purpose of owning a hybrid as my monthly usage will come down. I just feel the car is oversized by atleast 4-6inches for my use case. Why dont they just lauch Corolla Altis with a hybrid engine. That would fit my use case.

So finally did PDI of Hyryder today and will do final payment on Monday.

Now the reasons why I felt Hycross is better value for money than Hyryder
1. It's a 5th generation proper Toyota hybrid car, using latest TNGA-C platform and latest p610 gearbox. This same platform is used by a large number of Toyota and lexus cars.
2. Built quality is best among the segment. It's almost tank like.
3. Powerfull engine. I had compared the specifications with similar specs hybrid engine used in hector launched in Indonesia. Combined torque figure of hybrid hector is 320nm. So the combined torque figures of Toyota Hycross is definitely more than then that off hybrid hector.
4. Features such as Paddle shifters, manual mode the gear box, 360 camera, front parking sensor, electronic parking brakes with Autohold, autofold side view mirrors , beautiful automatic headlights and taillights are found even in base VX variant. And ofcourse the colour scheme (Pearl white, Blackish ageha glass flakes). Some if these features are missing even in top Variant of Hyryder, that's a shame.

5. Probably the best aftersales value in used car market.

So although I am continuing with my Hyryder booking but it's definitely feels overpriced by atleast 5 LACs

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th February 2023 at 09:03. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Please quote only relevant portion.
drsachin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 20:47   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
The moment I reached the showroom, my parents immediately reached the spot where pearl white colour Hycross was displayed it was VX variant.We spent 30 minutes with the Hycross andy mother checked the On-Road price on the brochure and she immediately said, "son this Hycross is priced Rs28 LAC and it appears like a 40LAC car, on the other hand the car you are buying is a Rs22 LAC car but it appears like a Rs15LAC car. Please cancel your Hyryder booking and instead pay Rs 6LAC more and buy this Hycross.
Price is not always proportional to one's requirement. In 2016, I had bought Ciaz as a family car which had to be chauffer driven mostly. This was bought for around 9.2 lac , all thanks to Delhi govt for crediting Ciaz Diesel as Hybrid and reducing the gap b/w petrol & diesel models to merely 20k.

In 2017 I was looking for a car for myself & got an i20 diesel for 10k extra than Ciaz. Though i20 was a top model while Ciaz was the middle model. This was justifiable as when I went for ciaz the perspective was that we wanted a family car which would always carry 3-4 people while my car would carry just me most of the time with rarely an occupant. As I had to drive & park by myself, I wanted a compact car which could be squeezed in any corner and would be fun to drive too (reason for choosing i20 over baleno).

The point here is that prices are justifiable as per your requirements. Infact you could get a Scorpio N/ Xuv 700 for what you are paying for Hyryder. But since you want a fuss fee economical hybrid, Hyryder is the car for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
In the Evening i went to the biggest showroom in North India(Galaxy Toyota, Moti Nagar). One thing I noticed at various showrooms that the waiting period of VX variant is not the same accross the showrooms. At most places it's 15months for all Hybrid Variants but at some showrooms its 2-4months. Something is seriously wrong with Toyota booking process.
Ciaz is up for replacement and I am now confused between hycross & crysta. As the new one would mostly be chauffer driven, 85 % highway drives & we prefer manuals over automatics so crysta also ticks most of the boxes. It would all come down to pricing, rear seat comfort & review of hycross owners here.
CA Dhruv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 22:00   #803
BHPian

Has anyone tried out Toyota connect?

For Hycross or for Hyryder.

Till now not seen any information regarding that.
Old 11th February 2023, 22:15   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post

The point here is that prices are justifiable as per your requirements. Infact you could get a Scorpio N/ Xuv 700 for what you are paying for Hyryder. But since you want a fuss fee economical hybrid, Hyryder is the car for you.

Ciaz is up for replacement and I am now confused between hycross & crysta. As the new one would mostly be chauffer driven, 85 % highway drives & we prefer manuals over automatics so crysta also ticks most of the boxes. It would all come down to pricing, rear seat comfort & review of hycross owners here.
I understood your point sir, that's precisely the reason I have convinced everyone in the family that this time I should go for Hyryder only.
It's just that although Hyryder fulfills most of my immediate needs. But Toyota should have provided a premium value to 20LAC customer.
1. Provided better build quality specially Doors, boot. At present the doors feel they won't more than last 3-4 years before producing rattles.
2. Provided electric parking brake with Autohold. Autohold is a great feature to have and actually it completes the "Automatic thing" for a city drive car.
3. Provided paddle shifters atleast in top "V Hybrid " variant.
4. Provided premium JBL/Sony/Infinity sound system in top Variant.

All these things are provided by the competition.

They may increased price by another lakh and most would not mind.
drsachin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 22:55   #805
BHPian

Just asking out of ignorance.
Is Hycross set to have a resale prospect as much as a Crysta does ? Crysta, especially Diesel, had and perhaps still has an excellent value as it is a vehicle preferred by business-people too, apart from its reliability (please pardon my limited understanding).
Reliability apart, is Hycross expected to replace the diesel Crysta as the preferred one among business community in the next few years ? Taxi, hospitality industry, public sector, etc. Do the booking trends indicate this ?

Last edited by JayG : 11th February 2023 at 23:00.
Old 11th February 2023, 23:12   #806
BHPian

Got a chance to test drive the HyCross. I have a 1.1L driven EcoSport TDCI MT and most of my observations are relative to it and very short test drive of around 3 kms.
  1. First impression - I did not get a feeling that I was sitting in a car costing 3 times more than my existing ride.
  2. Finding comfortable driving position was easy. Overall visibility is good - it’s too restrictive in EcoSport and Compass is the best I found in recent past.
  3. Power didn’t feel like it was almost double of my existing ride nor was it punchy - maybe better insulation? However, I didn’t feel lack of pulling power (there was a flyover climb) and did hit 80 KMPH on the flyover itself - it was on power mode though.
  4. I tried paddle to downshift more than couple of times, but couldn’t feel any change in engine response. Power modes also had very subtle changes in engine response. First time with AT and I never released the accelerator pedal purposefully - don’t know if this is the right way.
  5. Expansion joints were felt more than EcoSport - I’ll give it to high tyre pressure but I didn’t confirm the pressure.
  6. Third row seats are more comfortable than the Crysta in terms of knee-up and under thigh support. The backrest recline angle is not executed properly though as the backrest incline changes the seat base recline as well - Fiesta gen 1 seat height adjust anyone.
  7. Second row seat rails were an eyesore and it is not flush with the floor; got to watch out while moving around. This is isn’t executed well in my opinion.
  8. 8 seater second row armrest was opening up itself if you tilt the seat back forward to allow 3rd row ingress. It is definitely not designed/bolted properly. Also the hinges were nakedly exposed from the LH seat if backrest angle is set differently.
  9. I wasn’t able to engage the the parking brake on ‘N’. Driver accompanying said parking button of no use and self engages on ‘P’. Took it with pinch of salt. Anyone here knows on this?
  10. Waiting period - the SA offered to deliver by end of month and I was like scratching my head and recollecting waiting periods being heard around. . I declined.

I am looking for a 5 seater with good boot space. With a budget of 25 to 30 and peace of mind as one of the important criteria now, I cannot look beyond Toyota’s MUV. To me each vehicle has some compromise, but I felt that HyCross has more compromises than Crysta (except the BS6 diesel issue which cannot be a categorised as compromise) - a car tailored for India.
nischaltopno is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 23:41   #807
BHPian

Had a look at the Hycross ZX variant at my local showroom. Had booked the blackish Aghea colour. However, on looking at the colour in person didn’t like it much. The super white and the bronze look much more premium. Missus likes the super white shade as compared to bronze. The 360 camera quality is grainy coming from creta. The handling and drive quality is acceptable. Was wondering if I should go for the ZX vs the ZX(O) variant. I am usually in the passenger seat and the space is well packaged.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-4b4246424338471a8476e6d154ad0607.jpeg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-f926f18136af49da9b82c4bf4ac06140.jpeg
sharad_kmc is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 00:40   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
I wasn’t able to engage the the parking brake on ‘N’. Driver accompanying said parking button of no use and self engages on ‘P’. Took it with pinch of salt. Anyone here knows on this?

Did you hold down the brake pedal while doing this?
Old 12th February 2023, 07:11   #809
BHPian

Quote:
The floormats are narrow and useless when you slide the middle seats back or front. The car will easily get spoiled.
Attachment 2417270
+1 on floor mats. Consider after market full body mats. Not sure if it's feasible given the battery packs under front seats.

It feels ridiculous. At least for top end they should have made no accessory necessary.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th February 2023 at 05:58. Reason: Minor typos.
Old 12th February 2023, 10:46   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Did you hold down the brake pedal while doing this?
Yes, I had reached a signal and had to stop for the signal. I wanted to engage park brake and release the foot brake, hence shifted to N and was trying to engage park brake.

Most Viewed