Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2023, 02:11   #1171
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Additional observations:
Excellent observation. Even I noticed the same today. Wished the center console design could offer wider space for the driver. Being 6 foot and also driving Tata Nano, I am used to sit with my knees wide apart. In Hycross, the left leg (being the idle one) rubs the center console more than I want it to be. Will do a long drive soon and check how much of an inconvenience it is.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:24. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 11th March 2023, 02:39   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
Excellent observation. Even I noticed the same today. Wished the center console design could offer wider space for the driver. Being 6 foot and also driving Tata Nano, I am used to sit with my knees wide apart. In Hycross, the left leg (being the idle one) rubs the center console more than I want it to be. Will do a long drive soon and check how much of an inconvenience it is.
I went for a long drive on my new Hycross and did not face any issue with the space. Rather my experience was opposite. I felt that I am sitting on a SOFA and car is just gliding on road. Space for driver is more than enough. Drive it and feel it!

Did anyone notice that the Dead Pedal in Hycross is the biggest in the segment? You might never have seen such a huge dead pedal for left foot ever in the past!

Space for driver is ample and its more spacious and comfortable than many of the Hyundai SUVs, The Harrier, Safari, XUV 700 for instance. If you are a 6-footer, you need to lower down the seat height, pull back the driver seat and adjust the steering for rake and reach! You will be sorted!

Last edited by Paritoshkalra : 11th March 2023 at 03:05.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 09:32   #1173
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
Verdict: There are a lot of positive going for it but the Hycross interiors lack finesse. It is mechanically a good car thoroughly ruined by unnecessary cost cutting. ....I was really looking forward to it and willing to overlook minor issues but it is difficult to justify the price tag with this quality. What a missed opportunity!
Agree with you fully, similar was my situation after a brief TD at Madhuban Toyota. In fact when other BHPians complained about poor plastic quality, I did not expect it to be this bad, even XUV700 plastics look and feel better! In fact Toyota top end models (V vs G especially) always had a plush feeling which though has been progressively vanishing. Interiors of my Gen 2 Altis V still stands a class apart with very good plastic quality and finesse. In fact I looked at the interiors of my Altis with admiration after my TD (of Hycross)

Moving to other factors which made me defer the booking decision (most of which are already pointed out multiple times, so limiting to additional ones), the steering was way too soft (polar opposite of artificially tight Crysta steering). This makes the drive feel like a game and vehicle (of this proportion) a toy, I would prefer some kind of feedback on steering (like pneumatic PS of Altis)

The VX(O) variant was a welcome addition, (more a compulsion due to impending rule change) but the lack of 3 point seat belt (due to sun roof ) is a point of concern, hope that crash test ratings will to come out soon and clarify. Interesting point here is till almost a year back one had to look up to Prado/LC for a Toyota SUV/MUV with sunroof and now they are giving sunroof in almost all new SUV/MUVs. They would have done internal analysis of this feature on safety of cars for sure. I also feel that sunroof is not a necessary feature and 8 seater VX(o) without sunroof would also be launched soon, esp since Toyota never had a fancy for sunroof as compared to Honda etc.

The TD was very short, the good part though was it helps you understand how easy it is to drive this vehicle through narrow lanes and tight spots with 360 degree camera reassuring you. I personally do not think its needed (360 camera) as it will eventually make you look at screen and maneuver when in tight spots, rather than look around yourself (incl. IRVM and ORVM). Our decision after TD was made easy by my wife who stood away from car with a non enthusiastic look. Sales person understood the situation and did not call back once to check on my decision. Also for them (dealers in general) service has become a money spinner than sales. So they may not have bother much, also with hybrid hype the vehicle has good number of bookings too.

After this TD, it dawned upon me that a pure bred Toyota is almost worth INR 5 million now in India. In sedan you have go upto Camry and in SUV/MUV upto Fortuner (Old Crysta was holding fort at around 3million mark till few months back) rest all are Maruti mould or Hybrid improvisations.

Last edited by MMV : 11th March 2023 at 09:59. Reason: additional point
MMV is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 18:58   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMV View Post
I also feel that sunroof is not a necessary feature and 8 seater VX(o) without sunroof would also be launched soon, esp since Toyota never had a fancy for sunroof as compared to Honda etc.
VX(o) without sunroof would be great!

I think the only good thing missing in VX is 6-airbags. Sun-roof is nice to have and the novelty wears off after a few days (or months). My car has panoramic sun roof and in the last 2 years, it was opened not more than 10 times (5 times being just to impress the passengers). While i don't mind having it, i am ok to give up on a sunroof if it makes the car better, cheaper and stronger. In case of Hycross, better being not having a huge gap in the roof liner.
Totoro11 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 20:39   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
VX(o) without sunroof would be great!

I think the only good thing missing in VX is 6-airbags. Sun-roof is nice to have and the novelty wears off after a few days (or months). .
You are absolutely right, All they needed to do was to add airbags. Sunroof is a useless feature and even makes the car unsafe to a bigger extent. By Adding sunroof, they have made Hybrid Hycross costlier by over 2.5 -3 lakhs on road which is a huge amount.

Soon people in India will realize that sunroof is the most useless feature for Indian extreme climatic conditions. Companies are busy minting money out of a useless feature. We even do not open our windows for an inch, forget about sunroof

Last edited by Paritoshkalra : 11th March 2023 at 20:41.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 02:14   #1176
Senior - BHPian

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cn0Ph...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I came across this video of Toyota's 360 degree camera on their cars abroad and the difference in quality is insane. Even other cars launched in India recently such as the VW and Skoda 2.0 products, XUV700, MG, Safari etc have terrible camera quality. It got me thinking, is there some new rule that manufacturers here have to source car cameras locally?

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:27. Reason: Typo fixed.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 07:36   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
Soon people in India will realize that sunroof is the most useless feature for Indian extreme climatic conditions. Companies are busy minting money out of a useless feature. We even do not open our windows for an inch, forget about sunroof
+100 to this! My friend who visited the Toyota showroom is confused now with his booking only for this reason. He needs a decent variant with 6 airbags without sunroof. He couldn't bear the heat radiating from the roof with a closed sunroof! And I'm talking about the situation of 29 degrees outside temperature in Bangalore. What it'll be like at 40 degrees and above is unimaginable!
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 10:10   #1178
BHPian

Is there no way for us to get the camera quality improved? Maybe swap of cameras for an after market?

Or does that violate the warranty etc?

Also did anyone take the additional warranty which is offered during the car purchase?
Old 12th March 2023, 12:01   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
Is there no way for us to get the camera quality improved? Maybe swap of cameras for an after market?
I think more than the camera it has to do with the poor display quality of the head unit. Surely within a couple of months market will be flooded with Android head units for Hycross; with better display and features. Warranty status on that will need to be checked with the dealer.

I opted out of the additional warranty, since I don't intend to keep the car for that long. Hopefully will be exchanging Hycross with the next gen Fortuner due next year.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:25. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 12th March 2023, 13:10   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_Agg View Post
I think more than the camera it has to do with the poor display quality of the head unit. Surely within a couple of months market will be flooded with Android head units for hycross; with better display and features. Warranty status on that will need to be checked with the dealer.
No, I loaded up apple carplay and tried out a few apps and the display quality is more than good enough. The screen is nothing ground breaking, but the current problem is definitely from the actual camera hardware being extremely poor. Even the image stitching software is decent and recognized the garden tiles around me without any distortion.

Last edited by Cresterk : 12th March 2023 at 13:12.
Old 12th March 2023, 17:03   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
There is an option to adjust the camera brightness and contrast of the camera. Increase both to maximum and onscreen camera quality improves!

Old 12th March 2023, 20:32   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
True, the novelty wears off after awhile but I wouldn't call it a useless feature. People suffering from motion sickness or claustrophobia find the visible sky a boon, especially on long journeys. Even otherwise, it's great to have some natural light come in, when the sun is not directly overhead.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 21:55   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I came across this video of Toyota's 360 degree camera on their cars abroad and the difference in quality is insane. Even other cars launched in India recently such as the VW and Skoda 2.0 products, XUV700, MG, Safari etc have terrible camera quality. It got me thinking, is there some new rule that manufacturers here have to source car cameras locally?
I had recently seen the Tucson 360 camera. It is actually really good

Old 12th March 2023, 23:14   #1184

I have booked ZX(O) and honestly not willing to go ahead for the car just because of poor interior quality. 30 Lakhs plus vehicle and still feels cheap.
Only attraction is Hybrid and Toyota reliability and after sales experience.
Also booked XUV 7OO AX7L D AT.
My heart is on Jeep Meridian but brain stops me. Going to be heavy on pocket. Reliability is hit or miss. Cost of ownership is also a concern for me.
I am hovering on all three options.
Need SUV, Currently driving XUV 5OO, 7 seater is family requirement so have to go for it. Mostly city and highway running. 15K annual running. I am in NCR ��
Expert advice please!
Old 13th March 2023, 00:37   #1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikasbpt View Post
Expert advice please!
If you are looking for a genuine 7 seater, there is no other option than the Hycross. Meridian and XUV 700 third row is nothing short of a joke.

Additional how prudent will it be to invest around 35-40L on a new diesel Meridian in NCR! With each passing year the rules for diesel passanger vehicle are only gone get more stringent. Then there is the whole DEF issue to deal with for diesel vehicles.

IMHO Hycross is gone grown old more gracefully than XUV 700 or Meridian.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:27. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Aj_Agg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed