Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2023, 00:54   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerin.v View Post
I had recently seen the Tucson 360 camera. It is actually really good
Tucson is imported. I'm talking about heavily localised cars that have had their production line set up recently aka after 2020 lock-downs. Hyundai and Kia have always had great cameras, even my 7 year old i20 has a much better backup camera than all the cars I mentioned, complete with adaptive guidelines.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:24. Reason: Spacing.
Old 13th March 2023, 01:03   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikasbpt View Post
Expert advice please!
Jeep Meridian and XUV 700 are both 5+2 cars. The space inside both these cars and seating arrangement does not allow 7 people to sit inside. Remember XUV 700's middle row is not movable at all and Meridian has baby seats at the back. Even a 5 footer can nit sit there for 10 mins.

Real 7 seater options under 36 lakhs are only Crysta, Hycross and Kia Carnival. There is no other option available in India.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:27. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 07:12   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Tucson is imported. I'm talking about heavily localised cars that have had their production line set up recently aka after 2020 lock-downs. Hyundai and Kia have always had great cameras, even my 7 year old i20 has a much better backup camera than all the cars I mentioned, complete with adaptive guidelines.
The latest-gen Tucson is manufactured in India itself. Don't know how much percent is localized here or if it's a CKD. Cameras will mostly be imported.

Even the latest Harrier and Safari have really good cameras compared to what they had earlier and compared with the competition.

Here is a video posted by Hyundai, The title itself says Tuson and Kona included 11 models are manufactured in India.
v=e5jlZ7IbHrQ
jerin.v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 07:30   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Yeah, Hyundai never compromises on interiors even if that comes at the expense of high strength steel or crash test worthiness of the car.
amalji is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:17   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
Soon people in India will realize that sunroof is the most useless feature for Indian extreme climatic conditions. We even do not open our windows for an inch, forget about sunroof
A sunroof has its moments under the sun . Yes it is next to impossible to use in city traffic but it feels great on long highway drives esp in the mornings. Sunshine coming in from the top during delhi winters feels super! Also feels nice when you are driving through hills/forests/national parks.
Nice-to-have: yes, Mandatory: absolutely not

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
He couldn't bear the heat radiating from the roof with a closed sunroof! And I'm talking about the situation of 29 degrees outside temperature in Bangalore. What it'll be like at 40 degrees and above is unimaginable!
Even with a panoramic sunroof, i haven't seen any significant heating issues in Delhi NCR. Sunroof or no sunroof will not make too much difference (if the fabric is good quality and you would anyways switch the AC on). I would urge your sensitive friend to not consider this as a major reason for selecting or rejecting the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_Agg View Post
If you are looking for a genuine 7 seater, there is no other option than the Hycross.

IMHO Hycross is gone grown old more gracefully than XUV 700 or Meridian.
Completely agree on the first point. Hycross scores very high on space. You would not feel cramped in any of the seats... even the last row is quite comfortable (for adults).

As for growing old gracefully, i have serious doubts considering the plastic quality. More like a middle aged man without teeth
Totoro11 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:43   #1191
BHPian

1. Will it be possible in Zx variant to remove the handrest of the second row and a aftermarket partial seat could be affixed in the gap and how comfortable would that be for journeys?

2. Or as another option, will it be feasible to replace the second row captain seats with OEM bench seats and how expensive would that be?
Old 13th March 2023, 12:14   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Yeah, Hyundai never compromises on interiors even if that comes at the expense of high strength steel or crash test worthiness of the car.
Pretty much

Hyundai spends quite a lot on the things you can see and feel while silently cutting costs on all the things that everyone takes for granted. In my car, it's the white paint which is starting to flake off. In the same gen creta, it was the brakes which were "inconsistent" and in their new gen car cars made here, they have compromised on the steel just like Maruti. It's not even just an India thing, they also silently cut costs on the engine immobilizer in America which lead to the whole Kia boys theft debacle.

It's why I didn't even bother test driving the new alcazar while I checked out the Safari, XUV700 and Scorpio-N
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 22:35   #1193
BHPian

Just took delivery of hycross. Had 2-3 observations on VX variant
1. Electronic Parking break colour remains same so you have to look at speedometer to find out that parking brake is engaged.
2. Centre front console did obstruct left leg a bit.
3. You can touch speed of 70-80 without much fuss and quite fast.
4. Not a trypical feel of driving Innova, which had Heavy power steering.
5. Feels more like driving a big SUV
samitjain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 09:20   #1194
BHPian

I took delivery of Pearl White Innova HyCross ZX(O) from Nandi Toyota Bangalore on March 3rd. It was a very pleasant experience dealing with Nandi and Toyota from booking through to delivery of the vehicle. Support provided by the Sales Manager (Shivakumar), Sales Representative (Sumati) and the Accessories Representative (Moorthy) require special mention.

I also parted ways with my 2009 Innova in the process, it had served me well during the 13.5 years and 1.7 lakh kms it spent with me. It was a trouble free ownership. The Service advisers and Managers at Nandi (Sabu, Robin etc) had always been very helpful and accommodative. Other than the routine maintenance,I do not remember spending money on part changes etc.

Though I was in the market for some time looking at options to change the car, I had my apprehensions in moving away from Nandi and Toyota because of the trust the brand provides. With my limited knowledge, I was convinced that I may not get the same peace of mind from any other brand. I test drove Citroen’s C5, Hyundai’s Tucson and Alcazar, VW’s Tiguan and MG ZS, and found many things to like in each of them, for some reasons, the purchase did not happen.

It had been 11 days since I got the HyCross, I have driven it over 900 kms so far mostly in city traffic. I am seeing an average mileage of 18.6 km/l in MID.

Accessories added-
• Grill jewel garnish
• Front under run
• Side visor
• Mud guard
• Floor and Trunk mats, fabric
• DVR
• Rear bike protector

What I Liked-
• Car is even more spacious in comparion with my old Innova. The shoulder room in the car feels better than my old Innova, elbow needs to travel couple of inches more to find a resting place
• Amount of space available for the second row is enormous
• Elevated Driving position, a visible bonnet for a change. I am yet to get used to the dimensions, especially when taking tight curves
• Adaptive cruise control along with other ADAS features gives the feel of a semi self-drive car. It is creepy as well to see Car adjusting itself to the speed of the car in front or turning on its own on curves if the roads are well marked
• It moves and behaves like a car. Though the vehicle looks big, it is very easy to drive it in the city traffic, it gives a sedan like driving pleasure even in congested Bangalore traffic. The steering wheel feedback is also good.
• Steering is very light, helps a lot while parking etc
• 2 zone Climate Control is nice, they could have provided a three zone one
• Very Good AC, 2nd and 3rd row vents help with this
• A reasonably good music system
• Rear seat comfort, my wife prefers the ottoman seats more than the passenger seat
• Silent start of the car never fails to surprise people standing next to it, this along with the good suspension provides a glide like feel
• This car will surprise you and leave a smile on your face in power mode

What I do not like-
• Even though the Central console is not blocking the visibility for me, at times I feel blinded by the Inside Rear-View mirror, the blacked out area is significantly large
• Way too many sensors. It even warns if the window glass is not fully up, or if the head light is on while switching off the car. Alarms go off in such cases. Many settings are via a combination of switches and requires a bit of getting used to
• Some missing options like the lock/unlock buttons are not illuminated, ORVM is not heated
• There is a setting via MID to remind the driver that there are items kept on the back seat. One would need to navigate through multiple clicks to arrive at the setting. Initially, I thought some sensor might have failed, only to figure out later that it is a setting.
• Though the captain seats in the rear gets 4 way electronic adjustments, front row passenger seat is fully manual
• Little more travel for the driver’s seat would have helped tall drivers
• Knee hits the central console while driving, it is better if the leg is placed on the dead pedal fully
• Blow from the ventilated seats could have been stronger, there is audible sound at the current max speed
• 360 degree camera should have been better, resolution is not good
• My earlier Innova had a light colour interior, similar colour would have provided a roomy feel to the cabin
• User manual is available only via the i-Connect app, it is not user friendly. I was not able to find a PDF version either
• i-Connect app has a mind of its own and it is buggy
• There was a cross that was fixed inside the car, which was duly returned. I found while going through the bill that it was a paid accessory. So was the disc like room freshner with Nandi Toyota branding that was hanging from the rear view mirror
RSimonS is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 10:25   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitjain View Post
2. Centre front console did obstruct left leg a bit.
I agree with this. I initially thought the driver footwell space is less, but that was not the case. Infact, the driver footwell has lots of space.

It's the little protruding silver ascent on the center console, that is obstructing the left leg. Had that been smoother it would have been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
I went for a long drive on my new Hycross and did not face any issue with the space.
If you are a 6-footer, you need to lower down the seat height, pull back the driver seat and adjust the steering for rake and reach! You will be sorted!
Thanks. I lowered the seat height and adjusted everything and felt more comfortable. So it wasn't the space, it's that small protruding center console that rubs the left foot. Had it been smoother, it would have been better.

I did a long drive (Chennai to Pondicherry) and felt more accustomed to the car. Drive was effortless. There is enough power from the engine if needed. Overtaking on single lane roads was fine. If pushed hard, the engine noise can be heard. This car shines in sedate cruising. The NVH levels are excellent.

Overall got a mileage of 18.2kmpl for 390 kms (64% highway) using tankful calculation. In MID it shows 18.7 kmpl as the total average.

Does VX has one touch up/down driver window? Also I noticed the 360 cam doesn't turn on always on when you press the button.
jthomas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 14:48   #1196
BHPian

I test drove the HyCross briefly.

Is it me or is the rubber band effect greatly pronounced in the car? The engine seemed way ahead of the car if you know what i mean.
Also, at around 100 kmph I found it not so confidence inspiring. I had driven a friend's 9 year old Camry recently and at speeds of 120 found it to be really planted.

I really don't need such a big car especially a MPV, but the Toyota badge and Hybrid engine tempt me.

I am waiting to test drive the new Alcazar (1.5 gdi) and also plan to go for a longer test drive of the Hycross and then decide between them. I feel the 1.5 gdi might be a fun car to drive with the new peppy engine. My wife has a 2 year old Sonnet 1.0 gdi and it's a hoot to drive.

Ideal car for me would have been the Tucson (if it had a nicer petrol engine) or the Octavia (if it wasn't being shelved.

My budget is 35L.

Happy Motoring...
pinnaclecap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 17:57   #1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnaclecap View Post
Ideal car for me would have been the Tucson (if it had a nicer petrol engine) or the Octavia (if it wasn't being shelved.
Since you mentioned the Tuscon and the Octavia, if you are able to stretch the budget for around 5 lakhs, maybe the VW Tiguan is worth checking out. It has a really good engine and is a pleasure to drive. It handles really well(very close to a sedan). Bit of a stiff suspension though. High speeds will not be an issue at all. You might even be able to get some discounts.
Old 14th March 2023, 21:14   #1198

Today evening had gone for a test drive of the GX variant of the Hycross.On opening the door the immediate perception one gets is the quality of interior plastic.Its hard and cheap plastic wherever we touch or see.My wife was very much disappointed about the quality and expressed the same to the SA,who in turn tried to emphasise on the ride quality, the quality control as well as the cheap maintance of toyota vehicle.

The ride quality was good,steering feed back was adequate,weighed up nicely as the speed picked up.Speedometer and engine RPM dials were of old school and not at all attractive to look at.The 10 speed automatic gearbox reponded to the accleration input.The 2 litre engine was silent at low speed but was vocal and made its presence felt when acclerating hard.

Seat comfort both at the front and the middle was good,no lateral movement ,may be due to a stiffer suspension.Space at the middle row is comfortable for three people.

When enquired about the availibility of the GX variant ,the SA informed the vehicle could be delivered in a month time and it all depends upon the choice of the color.

It all boils down to this, apart from the plastic quality everthing else is well put into,its a mechanically sound machine, with no complicated electronics with all the safety features built into it which are required while driving.

But whether its all right to put down 25lakhs(OTR) to purchase it we are not at all in a position to answer at this point of time.
Old 14th March 2023, 21:45   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURU View Post
Since you mentioned the Tuscon and the Octavia, if you are able to stretch the budget for around 5 lakhs, maybe the VW Tiguan is worth checking out. It has a really good engine and is a pleasure to drive. It handles really well(very close to a sedan). Bit of a stiff suspension though. High speeds will not be an issue at all. You might even be able to get some discounts.
Budget was 25 and now already am stretching it to 35.
A couple of years down the road I want to but a 2nd hand German car or lexus or even a jiminy or thar so was trying to save a couple of bucks 😎

Will try the Alcazar and if it’s not peppy and fun will go for the HyCross
pinnaclecap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 22:55   #1200
BHPian

Has anyone used Toyota Connected features in Hycross and whether these features are available on all VX variant???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks