Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:55   #1276

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review - From Booking to driving 2000 kms in just 4 days

My first post on Teambhp of my much awaited 7 seater - Innova Hycross Vx

At the outset, I would like to appreciate the incredible members for sharing the honest and valuable experiences which definitely helps clear so many doubts especially for person like me.

For long, I was waiting for a good 7 seater SUV. I had booked XUV700 AX7L D in month of August and waiting since then for the delivery. Honestly, I was quite happy and excited twith the booking after the test drive and features it was offering, only soar point for me was the negligible boot space.
I was promised an early delivery by the Manager as I had some known working in the showroom but unfortunately it dint workout as early as I expected.

Come Dec 2022, saw the update on Innova Hycross, it's test drive and review on Teambhp post. Believe, me I stopped following up with the XUV700 and straightway booked the Hycross.
My point of considerations were, Reliability of Toyota, cabin space including 3rd row and Much needed Boot space as we are a family of 7.

I so wanted to go for Zx (O) but Toyota is not offering bench seat so had to go for Vx.
Got a call from SA in midfeb to confirm the color and check my finance plan. 26th Feb saw the vehicle in person and took the test drive. Finalised the car and processed loan. The loan was disbursed on 27th Feb and rest was supposed to be on day of delivery and was supposed to get delivery on 10th Mar.

On 2nd Mar, got message from SA that the prices are hiked and new prices will be applicable to me. It was a shocker as the hike was not meager 10-20k but whopping 75k on exshowroom and almost a lakh on road. Striaghtaway called the SA and had to fight my way out to keep the old price. After conversation with Manager and some convincing they agreed but had to make total payment on 2nd evening. The invoice was made on 3rd as the guys had the chassis number.
Finally took delivery of Super White Hycross Vx 8 seater model on 13th Mar.

What I liked about the Hycross:
1. Ride Quality So we started our Journey from Vadodara to Pune on the very same evening. Drove for close to 600 kms in 9 and half hours with just 1 refueling halt.
I own Honda City 2017 iVtec, Believe you me, driving Hycross was such a wonderful and relaxing driving experience. Car rides sorry it just floats. When riding around 90-100 kmph, it's so silent and smooth never feels like your car is running.
I had to control myself hard to limit my speed else even at occasional 120 it never felt like speed reached 120 until the beep starts.
2. Spacious Cabin Hycross 2nd row adjustment is such a boon that even the third row felt so comfortable and spacious that no one complained for a stop to stretch the legs. A major missing in xuv700
3. Boot Space One of the important factor for considering Hycross was the boot space. With the 3rd row up, I could Keep One Checking Baggage, 3 Cabin Baggages and couple of Duffle bags on top of them and yet use a bit of recline for 3rd row.
4. Kitna deti hai - Mileage Cheery on the cake.
When you are taking out your ride or such long drives then we do think about the mileage.
So for first calculations did a tank full to tank full method.
A complete Highway drive with cruise control at 90 got an unbelievable figure of 21.5
Thereafter the ride comprised mix of of city, village, ghats and highways (with cruise control at 115) .
At the end of the journey, for last 1200 km the MID showed mileage of 19.5 (snap attached).
5. Collision avoidance Proximity sensors do a great job by popping up camera view. Helped a lot in busy traffic and narrow lanes. 360 deg helped in parking at tight spots.
What could have been better
1. 6 airbags which they came up with VxO
2. Missing ventilated seats
3. 360 deg Camera quality way below par. Toyota can definitely do better then this.
4. Unplanned multimedia control buttons on the steering.

Though my Hycross (Vx variant) doesn't have the features of XUV700 but it is truly a 7 seater. Overall, I'm extremely happy and fully satisfied with the buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20230313_120121.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img20230316wa0001.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img20230307wa0016.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img20230318wa0007.jpg  

Wingrider09 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:56   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
I will be taking delivery of my VX soon (probably 30th of this month) and have opted for below of the list you shared
- Mud flaps
- Front and rear under run (what exactly is it’s use and what is it made of)?
- Door edge protector
- Wheel arch molding.
  • Front and rear under run - These are purely for cosmetic looks and serve no other functional purpose. It is made of some sort of plastic. I got the front under run for my VX and went with Rear bike protector. It looks good.
  • Wheel arch molding - These are just a small strip of chrome on the wheel arch and not the black wheel cladding seen on ZX variant. The black wheel cladding is supposed to be available as on accessory soon. So check if you really want these. You can see the wheel arch modling installed on a VX in below video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
Can anyone recommend good/great mats for the car in Hyderabad or if anyone ships across India/To Hyderabad?
Got standard Toyota mats as part of dealer package during delivery. Planning to get GFX Life Long mats. See below Youtube video from my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatort1000 View Post
GFX LLM mats have arrived for HyCross. Found below video on Youtube.

https://Youtu.be/drim75gA22M
These should appear on various online sites soon. Currently listed on - https://carhatke.com/gfx-toyota-hycr...with-dicky-mat

Last edited by ampere : 22nd March 2023 at 21:17. Reason: back to back posts merged
gladiatort1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 01:01   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Yes, it is the same colour that was offered in the Crysta and continues to be offered in the Fortuner.

According to the lighting the colour changes its hue, as can be seen in this video:
https://Youtu.be/2sssMnAgAGw

HyCross in the same colour:
https://Youtu.be/SaIA4HWpwE8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmerizer View Post
It is not the purplish Colour that came in Crysta. That colour was called Garnet Red. I guess sparkling black pearl crystal shine would be a more glossy black. Go for it if you are ok to maintain the colour. I heard an unofficial rumour from Amana Toyota that there would be a price hike in April as well.
Thank you so much for your help. I ended up going and seeing a demo car in person just to see it for myself and it looked a bit too purple for my tastes.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_4525-copy.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_4533-copy.jpg

It looks okay in the shade but in direct sunlight, you can clearly see the purpleish appearance. The salesman was kind enough to give it a quick water wash to help me see the colour better.

The 1% cess increase from April 1st did make me spend quite a lot of time thinking it over but in the end, I decided to pass on that car. I have been waiting for quite a long time, might as well wait for the attitude black colour that I booked on day one.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 02:04   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
From the entire list of accessories I was thinking to get the below ones done as these look like must/good to have. Thoughts?

- Fog lamps (are they any good?
- Mud flaps
- Front and rear under run (what exactly is it’s use and what is it made of)?
- Door edge protector

I wanted to get the black wheel arch moulding however that is not available as accessory and only the chrome 3/4th shaped wheel arch is an accessory.

Can anyone recommend good/great mats for the car in Hyderabad or if anyone ships across India/To Hyderabad?
I spent some time today talking to the head of their accessories department and got to see and feel some of the parts in question.

1. Front under-run is basically a faux skid plate. On offroad SUVs, they are made of metal and protect from rock strikes : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1117252%29.jpg

Front and rear under-run for the hycross is made of a fiberglass-plastic material similar to the car bumpers. It does not offer any meaningful protection but I have booked it anyway because the car looks very odd without it, especially the rear.

2. According to the accessories person: Door edge protectors are useless and might fall off. Not sure if he just said that because they don't have any in stock. Either way, it looks ugly so won't be going for it.

3. Fog lamps are white LEDs and mostly aesthetic. I doubt it will penetrate fog like a powerful, warmer light. Go for it if you want the looks or buy a much better set for the same price from outside.

4. Mud Guard looked decent on their demo car. Not sure about it's performance though or whether it would increase aerodynamic drag or noise.

Now for some other accessories unrelated to your question that I looked at:

1. Roof rails! They are 3 pieces joined together and look a bit cheap. Not sure whether to go for it but again, car looks odd without it. Costs 13k

2. The Dash cam or digital video recorder as they insist on calling it costs 15k inr and they didn't even have a physical piece to show me. Accessories person wasn't very keen on selling this. No idea about the quality but considering that they refused to name the manufacturer, I suppose it will be some cheap rebranded item. Will wait for user reviews here before ordering it or will just stick an old go-pro on the windshield.

3. The accessories person also insisted that the car doesn't come with any kind of floor mats from the factory and that they are a separate purchase. That sounded so ridiculous that I went and checked the fortuner and hycross on display. Neither had any floor mats despite being the highest variants. I could see the hook points on the floor which would hold the mats in place though so this is just

4. The wireless charger was another accessory that the salesperson wasn't enthusiastic about nor did they have any technical info on. It also costs an eye-watering 10k. You could get a top of the line, dual wireless charger with both android and iPhone specific fast charging for less.

5. Leg room lamps. Looks cool and their installation is very neat with no wires or such showing so I will be taking it. Looks more premium than that tacky blue light bar on the roof.

6. Side door moulding. The car looks very odd without them but 1/4th of it is chrome which is pretty meh. Wonder if I should powder coat it matte black.

7. They tried their best to sell their underbody and ceramic coating to me. Skipped the underbody of course but the ceramic coating costs around 33k and comes with 3 year warranty and 3 free services every year. That sounded pretty good but when pressed about what brand coating they use, they were again reluctant to share the manufacturer's name, repeatedly claiming it's just 'graphene'. That brought some major doubts to my mind so if anyone has gotten it done, please let me know.

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 07:53   #1280

You don't miss the rear wheel drive? That probably will be my biggest gripe. A vehicle for more than 4 people should only have RWD according to me, otherwise a lot of weight goes toward back half and the whole mechanism is a little failure.
In basic principles that is why bus trucks and other heavy vehicles have better weight and maneuver ability.
Old 23rd March 2023, 13:43   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
2. The Dash cam or digital video recorder as they insist on calling it costs 15k inr and they didn't even have a physical piece to show me. Accessories person wasn't very keen on selling this. No idea about the quality but considering that they refused to name the manufacturer, I suppose it will be some cheap rebranded item. Will wait for user reviews here before ordering it or will just stick an old go-pro on the windshield.
I got the Toyota DVR installed last week. See my previous post quoted below for details. My dealer Ravindu Toyota was also not keen on suggesting DVR. They thought it is same as the one used in Crysta earlier, which had lot of complaints. But this is a new one. They also did not have it with them during delivery. It had arrived during first service and got it installed. Below is pic of the SD card in my DVR.

Quote:
DVR:
DVR seems to be made by a OEM supply company called NSV Auto (Dubai HQ www.nsvauto.com , India https://nsvindiaauto.com/). It has parking incident recording as well. Comes with 32GB SD card. ( See my earlier post for DVR pics https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5510003 (Toyota Innova Hycross Review) )

Below are links to apps:
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...0b&hl=en&gl=US
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/in/app/dvr-co...y/id6444179811 (Thanks to RSimonS for this link)

App is decent. Allows you to view live feed, check recordings and also allows changing wifi SSID and password.
The 32GB SD card is not a regular one. It is industrial grade and supposed have wider operating temperature and more realiability. It is expensive than regular SD cards.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-metorage-industrial-microsd-card.jpg  

Last edited by gladiatort1000 : 23rd March 2023 at 14:09.
gladiatort1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:10   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the Toyota DVR installed last week. See my previous post quoted below for details. My dealer Ravindu Toyota was also not keen on suggesting DVR. They thought it is same as the one used in Crysta earlier, which had lot of complaints. But this is a new one. They also did not have it with them during delivery. It had arrived during first service and got it installed.
Thank you. Do you have any pictures of the installed product? Does it communicate with the vehicle's ecu/computer in any way? Like, when the parking sensors or interior motion detector or alarm triggers detects something? Or can it use the vehicle's E-sim to send data to your phone when out of wifi range?

More importantly, what's the framerate and nightvision quality? Does the app lag to use?
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:43   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Thank you. Do you have any pictures of the installed product? Does it communicate with the vehicle's ecu/computer in any way? Like, when the parking sensors or interior motion detector or alarm triggers detects something? Or can it use the vehicle's E-sim to send data to your phone when out of wifi range?

More importantly, what's the framerate and nightvision quality? Does the app lag to use?
  • Installation in my car is exactly same as the installed pics I posted in https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5510003 (Toyota Innova Hycross Review) .
  • DVR itself has G-Sensor and setting to change it to high, medium and low sensitivity. I guess this is used to detect collissions. Not sure if this is used to detect parking intrusion. When ignition is on it goes to loop recording. When off, it goes to parking mode with no recording. I did not get any chance to try or test if parking mode recording can be triggered. I do not think it interacts with vehcile ECU. It has a check to stop recording if battery voltage goes below 12V.
  • The product box came with a printed manual which had all the details. I browsed through it and was hoping to read it after installation, but this got lost when box went to workshop. I have requested dealer to share me another copy. I suggest you ask your dealer to show you the box and then read through the manual for full details and then decide to proceed with purchase.
  • Wifi has to be explicitly enabled by going in to settings and then phone can connect to it and use the App. Turning on wifi will disable live recording. I do not think it has any capability to use vehicle esim to send any alarm or photo/video.
  • App takes sometime to load thumbnails and then to playback video. I think this due to streaming/transfer of video over wifi.
  • I will share frame rate and some sample videos of day and night later. I think it is 30FPS, will reconfirm.
gladiatort1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:45   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Installation in my car is exactly same as the installed pics I posted ....
Can you post a picture of how they wired your camera. Front-to-rear wiring, Power supply wiring, etc.

Did they power the camera from the 12V socket or from the fuse box?
Old 24th March 2023, 21:27   #1285
BHPian

I am planning to go for the 70mai A800S + wiring kit and get it installed from a good body shop for a small amount.
Also planning to get side steps installed (getting a quote for around 13.5k)
Toyota has an official accessories price list (I’ve got it in case someone needs it). Most prices are - let’s just say, expensive.
Old 24th March 2023, 23:36   #1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Can you post a picture of how they wired your camera. Front-to-rear wiring, Power supply wiring, etc.

Hi! Even i got the Toyota DVR/Dashcam installed on my Hycross recently. I had ordered the Toyota dashcam from the very beginning but the dealer tried to hoodwink me by installing some aftermarket dashcam (Make- mega audio) which drew power from the 12V socket. I was not at all pleased to see a wire protruding from the glovebox. Further, after one of the team bhp members posted his experience of Toyota dvr, I was convinced that i needed the stock Toyota DVR and got the mega audio one replaced.

Coming back to your query, the Toyota dvr draws power from the fusebox and the 12v socket is free to be used for other purposes
Manveet84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 23:44   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post

As shown in the pics in this post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5510003 (Toyota Innova Hycross Review) apart from the stick (with wiring inside) that comes out of roof lining for both front and rear cameras, nothing else is visible. All the wiring is hidden cleanly inside roof lining Power for the camera is not from the 12V socket. It is wired internally ( i guess to fuse box).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Toyota has an official accessories price list (I’ve got it in case someone needs it).
I have posted the accessories price list PDF from Ravindu Toyota in earlier posts. Here is the link to PDF - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...ndu-toyota.pdf
gladiatort1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 07:07   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
I have posted the accessories price list PDF from Ravindu Toyota in earlier posts. Here is the link to PDF - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...ndu-toyota.pdf
The fixing charges are too high. First of all the cost of accessories itself is high. The TPMS is just a solar-powered unit placed on the dash with 4 sensors. It's available on Amazon for just 2500.

Toyota is charging 6500 for the unit and 1500 for fixing a total of 8000.
jerin.v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 10:21   #1289
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to replace new stock tyres in size 215/60/r17 to 235/55/r17.

Made a few calls to some tyre shops and seems that Michellin tyres are still scarce.

Just one person has it and in Primacy 4ST. I am a little concerned as have had bad experience with Primacy 3ST in 16 inches on the Innova Crysta. Side walls broke on 3 tyres. Changed to Primacy SUV at 60,000 kms and no issues from then.
However he said that the Michellin has only this in the required size.

1. Are the 4STs better in terms of side wall breaks and punctures?

Also, he quote Rs.4000 per tyre for the ones i plan to exchange. 215/60/r17 . Its either Appolo or Goodyear that comes on the Innova Hycross Vx.

2. Is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2023, 14:15   #1290

I did a test drive of Hycross and now I am not so sure of the booking.

Pros:
1. The car is very manoeuvrable. The electrically powered steering and 360 degree camera make it very easy to park in tight spots.

2. The seats are comfortable and the cabin is quite spacious.

3. Legroom in 2nd row is awesome (great car for 4 people).

4. Bodyroll is controlled and suspension feels firmer than Crysta (good, reduces bounciness in the middle seat).

Cons:

1. The headroom is quite limited in ZX because of the sunroof (I am 6'1'' tall).

2. The sound quality from 9 speakers is quite poor. Please let me know if I somehow made a mistake in assessing the audio quality - i had increased the bass to +2 and rest was at zero. The car has 9 speakers - I assume 1 subwoofer and 2 tweeters and 6 normal speakers. And yet, it felt that there isn't enough output from the rear speakers. The audio at the middle seat was very muted.

3. The power/torque seems quite inadequate at low speeds (comparing to my Crysta 2.8). The drive is beyond boring in this car - this may be due to my driving style?

4. The tyre profile in ZX is too thin - it takes away not just from the looks, but the filtering on sharp edges is actually poor.
slosh_bob is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed