Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2023, 12:00   #1651
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

This whole ethanol business is a scam initiated by the big agribusinesses in the US, which were looking for a way to use their excess corn production. Converting it to ethanol and forcing it to be added to petrol at gunpoint was a nice win for them. Too bad India is going down the same route.

Ironically this corn is produced using large quantities of oil that powers the combines and tractors that operate the massive industrial farms of America.

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:49. Reason: Typo.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 18:33   #1652
BHPian

I’m seeing the tire pressure indicator on the instrument cluster and checking the tire pressure shows one of the tire pressure being low. While I tried fixing it by having air filled at the bunk, I’m still seeing the issue continue. I checked the manual and it says 33 psi is for 6 passengers and for 17inch tires (VX has 17).
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0025.jpeg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0026.jpeg

I’ll try again tomorrow at a bunk which has number entering preset in the air filling machine as the one I went today was manually filling and then checking the pressure number.

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:49.
Old 21st May 2023, 23:19   #1653
Senior - BHPian

I have been patiently waiting till the first service is done to do an initial ownership report but I just drove 100kms combined today, first alone and then with 7 people on board and I'm feeling pretty happy with the car so I just had to share with my fellow enthusiasts and owners.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1589.jpg

Something you quickly realise and accept when driving the hycross is that other Innovas will drive weirdly around you. Crysta owners especially will treat you like you are their wife's ex-boyfriend and they have something to prove by overtaking or speeding away from you.

I have been ignoring it so far because
1. I wasn't very familiar with the car yet and I do not like taking unnecessary risks.
2. My family would be with me and my mom is the type to start panicking if she sees a car slightly move into our lane 2kms ahead.

Today while I was cruising on the highway, I saw a black 2.4Z Crysta with modified tail lights and heavily tinted glasses in front of me. I had a feeling that this was going to be one of 'those guys'. He hadn't noticed me yet so we were just driving along with the flow of traffic, with me behind him at a fair enough gap. Didn't want him to think that I have got something to prove by driving too close, you know? Traffic was moving at a decent enough pace so I think we were both content to just relax and go with the flow.

Then all of a sudden he moves to the left track and accelerates till he gets right to the truck in front and brakes. There is no gap to squeeze through to the right. I don't make any effort to close the gap he vacated and he quickly moves back into the right track and honks at the poor Swift in front.
Ah looks like he finally noticed me.
There is only so long you can stay ignorant of a large black, suspiciously SUVish looking MPV with low set DRLs in your mirror without recognizing it as the new generation of your car.
As soon as we pass the truck, he moves back into the left lane and accelerates hard, zooming away just to come across yet another slow moving car and having to brake again. He swerves back into the right lane but is now stuck behind another car that is only moving marginally faster than the left lane. You could almost hear his impatience as he tailgates the car until the left lane opens up, and away he goes! Only to have to slow down as we are now approaching an intersection and there is a bus that's already halfway across the road.
He has to stop. The cars in front of me in the right lane go through but with the bus inching forward, I stop as well. I'm not going to play chicken with the lunatic behind the wheel of a private bus in Kerala!
All the cars waiting at either sides of the intersection use this opportunity to cross the road. I am right beside the Crysta now. The whole road has now stopped and is waiting for the intersection to clear. As soon as the last car makes it past his lane, off he goes! I get a late start but I'm off too after my lane is clear. The highway has now completely cleared up in front since we were stopped for a while. I am keeping an eye on the Eco Meter that toyota provides instead of a tachometer on it's hybrids. I have been trying to keep it below the power zone so far. The cysta is accelerating hard, showing no signs of letting up as our speeds cross 50, 60, 70, I'm in comfort mode and I'm glancing down at the Eco Meter to see that the needle has creeped past the top of the eco zone and is now slightly in the beginning of the power zone. I finally say, ah screw it, and I push my foot down more. The response from the hycross is instant. There is no lag waiting for a turbo to spool up, the downshift and the roar from the engine is instant (ahem, well as much as a 2L engine can roar) and the hycross just shoots ahead, past the crysta. I see the Eco meter getting close to the top and I lift off and it goes back to EV mode as it starts to regenerate. We are approaching traffic up front anyway so I go back to driving sedately. The crysta came up in the other lane but he stayed slightly behind me all the way to the signal despite having space to go ahead

I turned right at the signal and he went straight with a little toot of the horn. I drove away with a stupidly large smile on my face.

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:50. Reason: Deleted blank row.
Cresterk is online now   (73) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:23   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I turned right at the signal and he went straight with a little toot of the horn. I drove away with a stupidly large smile on my face.
Yup. This car has enough power when needed. Nice write-up of the drag race with Crysta.

My VX has covered 5900 kms in 2.5 months. Had two trips from Chennai to KL and once to Hyd. The engine roared and roared. I prefer to drive around 100 on highways, and to overtake any slow moving traffic and this car has more than enough power. Overtaking on KL single lane state highway were effortless.

Very happy with the car's performance. It's my daily ride to office and gives a mileage of 19 kmpl. On highways due to my driving style mileage is around 17.5 kmpl. A full tank (50 liter) gives a range of 850 km. So coming from Chennai to hometown (KL) is 640 km, it has enough petrol to go back to TN on return leg to refuel. The fuel cost difference is almost 4 to 5 rupees with respect to KL.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2023 at 18:37. Reason: Rule #11
jthomas is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:52   #1655
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Posting what seems to be an internal document with pricing etc. Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-hycross.jpg
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:35   #1656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Posting what seems to be an internal document with pricing etc...
Some parts for the Crysta is way more expensive than the Fortuner. The shock absorber assembly, common rail injectors and headlight assembly is way more expensive in the Innova, than the Fortuner!!!

Vaguely remember the headlights for the Innova Crysta priced ~50k INR during the time of its launch, the VZ/ZX one. But the pricing of the pretty average audio system seems to take the cake.

Guess prospective fence sitting buyers of the Innova Crysta and Hycross will likely dump the Crysta if they see this list. Or is it the intent of this price list..conspiracy theory.....
DicKy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:43   #1657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting what seems to be an internal document with pricing etc. Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Attachment 2453975
The audacity to charge 2l+ for a basic speaker setup that sounds worse than a 3rd party 50k JBL speaker setup from 5 years ago
Cresterk is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:45   #1658

Quote:
The audacity to charge 2l+ for a basic speaker setup that sounds worse than a 3rd party 50k JBL speaker setup from 5 years ago
That part is truly shocking.
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:59   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which world are Toyota in frankly? I wonder whether this is an automatic deterrent so that the customer seeks bespoke options.
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:36   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Posting what seems to be an internal document with pricing etc.
Surprisingly most part of Hycross are way cheaper than Crysta. Wondering what is "supply pump assembly", is it a different name for a fuel pump ? If yes why it is not applicable for Glanza.

Last edited by JediKnight : 22nd May 2023 at 14:40.
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:39   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
I finally say, ah screw it, and I push my foot down more.
The hycross is nearly 4 seconds quicker to the ton than the Crysta 2.4. I am sure you inflicted some buyers remorse on the Crysta guy

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:51. Reason: Trimmed quote.
JediKnight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 20:15   #1662
BHPian

We know that many of us were able to snag a Hycross much earlier than others. A lot of Nov bookings still seem to be waiting.

Those who did get one early, what did you do?

Pay extra
Knew/Am someone important
Dealer was family/friend
Just lucky
Something else
Old 22nd May 2023, 21:10   #1663

I am from Mumbai. I paid 50k a week before Hycross was launched in Indonesia. I bought it from Madhuban Toyota Kurla Mumbai. Madhuban didn't charge me a penny extra. I booked a ZX (O) Blackish Ageha Glass Flake. The car was delivered on March 11th.

They even refused to take advance payment until the car was dispatched from the Bidadi factory (think the car engine no & chassis number combo is assigned to a customer by Toyota itself). I am telling you this because all the details about the despatch date etc. matched fully as I could see from the 2 factory-fitted QC labels.

They didn't force me to buy any accessories. But since November 18th I visited the showroom at least once a week, regardless of delivery starting.

One thing that happened was that exactly on Feb 4th my Sales Executive left. I went and expressed concern to the VP, Sales & GM, Sales that I would be left in the lurch. They said they would take care. Highly professional behaviour from them. They dealt with everything professionally.

I wanted to see the car before registering. They called me to see it at my convenience.

I also want to acknowledge the professionalism of Madhuban Toyota in this whole process.

I am a common man with no political or influential contacts. Yes, I am in a very senior position in a large pharma company. But Madhuban never knew my designation etc.

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:53. Reason: Typos, spacing
rvijayasarathi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 21:18   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinikalantri View Post
We know that many of us were able to snag a Hycross much earlier than others. A lot of Nov bookings still seem to be waiting.

Those who did get one early, what did you do?

Pay extra
Knew/Am someone important
Dealer was family/friend
Just lucky
Something else
I had booked on 23rd Nov 2022 prior to launch by paying 1lakh booking amount at Lanson Pallikarnai, Chennai. Chose VX variant and color (Pearl White). I was sure that the top end would cross 25 lakhs and that was the max ex showroom ceiling for company car lease at my firm. On 29th Nov, i made one change to the booking - from VX 8 seater to 7 seater as company car lease is not possible with 8 seater. (Don't know why).

Waiting patiently.

When prices were revealed on Jan'23 first week, it made me very happy as VX variant was priced at 24 lakhs. From then on I made calls/WhatsApp to SA every week asking about car updates. They mentioned that car would be launched post Pongal and test drives in Feb first week.

Last week of Jan, no sign of car in showroom and no commitment on when I would get.

On Feb 2nd, i sent an email to our leasing vendor (ORIX) copying Lanson Toyota emails mentioning that I have pre booked the car and it should be available soon and let's get the paper work started. To this I received a very disappointing reply from showroom.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230522_204837.jpg

I messaged my SA about this and told that in North India people have received their cars in last week of January. There were some YouTube videos of bulk delivery too.

Next day, I went to showroom to meet SA and her manager. Mentioned that I have been waiting to receive the car and wished to be among the first set of folks who get the car allocated. Also told that, even after Toyota announced that it's 50k for booking, I didn't ask for any refund. I could have got that and double booked the car at another dealership and increased my chances for early delivery.

Meanwhile, ORIX leasing responded to my earlier email asking for Purchase Order from the dealership. Three days later, on 6th Feb, my SA messaged me that car is allocated and should receive before Feb month-end.

On 19th Feb, billing was ready and SA asked for payment. They sent the Purchase order to ORIX who took 5 days to complete their paper work. Car was registered during last week of Feb and I took the delivery on 2nd Mar. Got the booking amount refunded via check.

Not sure what worked in my case. Is it a due to multiple factors:-
- Premium Booking amount (1 lakh) prior to launch date
- VX variant with white color (as more booking are for top variants)
- Engaging SA consistently and politely.
- Meeting with the manager
- No delay in payment as Leasing company processed quickly

I am glad to be on this side of the fence and wish very best to all who haved booked and waiting patiently.

Last edited by manson : 26th May 2023 at 06:54. Reason: Deleted blank row.
jthomas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 22:38   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijayasarathi View Post
Think car engine no & chassis number combo is assigned to a customer by Toyota itself
Is that true. I know of a “VIP” who was given the car within a week of booking. I am sure the dealer has wiggle room.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks