Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 14:20   #31
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review

My first preference was to go for base model due to the tyres having higher sidewalls and vehicles like these don’t need alloys nor do our potholed roads . Wide sidewalls meant a plusher ride but I didn’t want to run to the dealer or aftermarket dealers immediately after delivery and chose the LX.

AX O is a good choice as it saves you 30k on road tax here plus 1 lac … with that much dough one can get a decent stereo and maybe suspension upgrade.

I wouldn’t mind lowering this car to 210 mm the ground clearance of the duster / nexon and jimny as even with this much GC you can handle most things and probably make the car safer for the highway runs.

And yes as you rightly said Off Roading has more to do with driver than car and even one tyre having good traction will get you out in most cases.

Thar is here to stay . Jimny is tiny as i have seen the three door abroad and though cute doesn’t have the road presence but its a very capable off roader due to its small stance and weight.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2023 at 04:53.
Urorobo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 15:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
RWD? Aren't front wheel drive vehicles more fuel efficient? Can someone please shed light on why M&M might have opted for RWD in a 2WD vehicle?

I get the lack of 4WD. The pricing has made it more attractive for those, who might want wheels for city/highway drives.
The Thar comes with a longitudinally mounted engine. Keeping costs in mind, it is relatively simpler to just delete the transfer case and the front diff and driveshafts and make it an RWD only car than it is to turn the engine 90 degrees re-engineer the entire chassis and make it a FWD car.

Although Audi manages FWD with its MLB platform cars (making RWD biased AWD cars FWD only with the base models like A4, A6 and so on..), the architecture is far more sophisticated there and the platform was conceived keeping this in mind.

The technical stuff aside, I only see 2 use cases for this vehicle:

1. "Tashan" or flair and a bit of showing off. It is just a super stylish, impractical, uncomfortable and crude alternative to a FWD crossover.

2. Perhaps as a more affordable(compared to the 4X4) replacement to all the ageing 2-3+ decade old RWD "jeeps" being used in rural areas, farms and hill stations

The second one is a very thin argument because the bolero already caters to that need. Style is the only reason why one would choose the RWD thar over the bolero.
ashivas89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 16:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes the footwells are not the most spacious. But they are adequate. If you are a tall person with long legs the dead pedal is a hindrance.As a tall person myself I am very happy that the dead pedal is not a standard fitment. However this is a very easy and simple bolt-on after-market fix for less tall persons. I actually had it installed in my Thar and very quickly realised it was a bad idea (for me), so had it un-bolted immediately.
I had booked the MT and I have super wide feet, unfortunately 2 minutes into the test ride the infatuation was over for me. I just didn't like the feeling of a very tight footwell area in such a wide car. Just don't understand why a lot of brands do that, I can understand such a scenario on the Alto but a 15 lakh tank, don't think so.
mpp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 17:13   #34
BHPian

Posting the mandatory pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-91cbb1542ca748318e30d708fabcee3b.jpeg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2023 at 04:53.
Urorobo is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 19:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerXIII View Post
Thar like most BoF vehicles, is based on a RWD powertrain, for most high torque applications RWD is preferred. Due to scale of economies, Mahindra can't re-engineer 2WD Thar to be FWD. FWD excels in packaging efficiency and less drive-train losses, hence used for most economy cars.
I fathom this is THE real reason and that's why only very very minimal changes M&M did make to differentiate the 2WD. India being the only market Thar can be sold for now EoS is an important factor here. Yes, it's proven and and requires less QC - quick to the market. But M missed the opportunity to refine the interiors, rides among many other things to make this liveable for those who buy this as a second vehicle. Occassional high way or for that matter the shorter bursts are not going to be comparable to the first car they car have due to reduced weight and this jiggly ride. 2 liter petrol I test drove had that continuous vertical movement which felt really unsettling and not confidence inspiring. This ride was not even in a highway.

That's why a big big opportunity missed for M. Nothing much will change in 5 door as well except additional width and length. I am not that optimistic about the ride quality issues, as this is going to be sandwiched by multiple models in its family of SUVs. Otherwise this will cannibalise its own siblings.

XUV 300 - Thar 2 door - Scorpio Classic - XUV 400 - Thar 5 door - XUV 5OO - Scorpio N lower trims- XUV 7OO - Scorpio N

Yes. Scorpio N lower models I anticipate might be discontinued sooner or later and might be taken over by 5 door thar. N will be pitted against Fortuner like more while the 20 ish range is taken care by soft riding XUV 7OO and the rugged five door Thar. Good to have headaches for M.

These are my predictions and already some lower variants of N being discontinued to confirm this. Typical of M launching at an unbelievable lower price tag and either discontinue them or just keep increasing the price later once people perceive it as a success.

These RWD are here to target Jimny. But not sure whether it will succeed in it or not. Most probably not as these are two different segments inside the 4x4 range when it comes to the size, power and road presence. The advantage Jimny has - the better reliability and service experience.

Last edited by sgmuser : 5th February 2023 at 19:24.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 20:07   #36
BHPian

My family comprises me, my wife and my 6 year old daughter. I'm seriously considering replacing my diesel WRV with the Thar 2WD. My usage is 90% in the city and 10% on highways upto 300-350 kms one way with family, upto 600-800 kms alone or with a friend. I really liked the front visibility that the Thar provides. Helps staying in the fastest lane in traffic as well as on highways. Also the fact that no potholes can really rattle the car has drawn me to it. My concerns are:

1. How different is the "bouncy" ride quality on the highways different than that of other road biased body on frame SUVs like a Scorpio-N? Is it a serious safety issue?

2. Can the height of the boot used to comfortably store luggage for 3 using soft bags, duffle bags, etc?

3. Would the ownership experience be as niggle free as my Honda where apart from the yearly 10k kms service, the only thing that went wrong was one light bulb in 5 years? If not, then how much worse would the ownership experience be?

I've always been a Japanese fanboy and this would be my first non Japanese car purchase if I go for it. If not the Thar then what are my options? Off-roading not required. Not slowing down through potholes and rough village roads very much required.

Owners and experts please help. Much appreciated.
R.Daroga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 01:46   #37
BHPian

Hi ,
My views

1. How different is the "bouncy" ride quality on the highways different than that of other road biased body on frame SUVs like a Scorpio-N? Is it a serious safety issue?

Bouncy Ride is pronounced but that’s to be expected because of the Ladder on Frame and short wheel base add to it the 18 inch alloys and smaller sidewalls , AT tyres and suspension set up - all add up. It eats potholes and glides over big speed breakers are the benefits if its 90 % city go for it.

2. Can the height of the boot used to comfortably store luggage for 3 using soft bags, duffle bags, etc? Yes considering you have a 6 year old just fold one of the rear seats and you have plenty of space.

3. Would the ownership experience be as niggle free as my Honda where apart from the yearly 10k kms service, the only thing that went wrong was one light bulb in 5 years? If not, then how much worse would the ownership experience be?

No - If you are looking at Honda levels of trouble free experience even the Germans and JLR will disappoint you. No one beats the Japs but if you treat it as a machine with some niggles then you will be ok. Mahindra is present in every district while Honda may not be and the car will have niggles but will always be drivable and won’t leave you stuck.

Toyota and Honda are the most reliable cars period. ��

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2023 at 04:53. Reason: Do not type your posts with excessive dots. Use
Urorobo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 04:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Style is the only reason why one would choose the RWD thar over the bolero.
Doesn't Thar have better ground clearance and superior breakover, approach, depart angles than Bolero?
Old 6th February 2023, 05:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Curious as to why the diesel requires DEF?
The same engine in the XUV3OO doesn't have a DEF requirement.

Does this have anything to do with BS6.2?
Yes, XUV 300 will also require DEF in phase 2. Being moved from Regular CDPF to SDPF (SCR on DPF).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
I have a BS6 XUV300 which I bought in 2021, and it doesn't have DEF. That's what made me curious.

The Bolero Neo doesn't have the same 1.5, but it's still curious why it has a DEF tank.
Marazzo and Bolero are 4Cyl 1.5 and 3 Cyl 1.5, however they share the same Exhaust treatment. Now with Phase 2, XUV 300 will also use a similar system.

Primarily LNT instead of SCR (with DEF) works well in light weighted lower efficiency requirements for NOx.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th February 2023 at 17:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged
athalaga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 07:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
My family comprises me, my wife and my 6 year old daughter. I'm seriously considering replacing my diesel WRV with the Thar 2WD. My usage is 90% in the city and 10% on highways upto 300-350 kms one way with family, upto 600-800 kms alone or with a friend. I really liked the front visibility that the Thar provides. Helps staying in the fastest lane in traffic as well as on highways. Also the fact that no potholes can really rattle the car has drawn me to it. My concerns are:

While Thar has many upsides, it scores low on practicality front. Since you're coming from a monocoque vehicle which has given you car like comfort, I suggest you to take multiple test drives with family. Try and drive a circuit which you travel frequently. Take it over your "familiar" speed breakers, rumble strips and potholes to gauge the ride quality yourself. People who have been using ladder frame SUV s and Jeepy things all their life find the Thar supremely comfortable. A person moving from a sedan/cross over to Thar may find it absolutely not liveable. Hence ride quality is subjective, be it Thar or any other car. And do consider an AT since your city usage is 90%.

If you find them liveable, then there are after market suspensions like AVO which can significantly improve the ride quality and overall composure of Thar. Good luck on your car purchase.

Cheers,
bibendum

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th February 2023 at 07:59.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 09:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerXIII View Post
Doesn't Thar have better ground clearance and superior breakover, approach, depart angles than Bolero?
It does. However, aren't these figures relevant mostly in the context of offroading? Why not get a 4x4 thar instead of a 4x2, if offroading is the intended use case?
Old 6th February 2023, 11:23   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. Can the height of the boot used to comfortably store luggage for 3 using soft bags, duffle bags, etc?

I've always been a Japanese fanboy and this would be my first non Japanese car purchase if I go for it. If not the Thar then what are my options? Off-roading not required. Not slowing down through potholes and rough village roads very much required.

Owners and experts please help. Much appreciated.
The low speed ride of ScorpioN as well as Thar is going to be a bit busy, as the speeds increase it smoothens out but you need to learn to keep your passengers happy.

Despite their Offroad appointments and equipment, the real success of these two names come from their on-road performance, once you experience it - nothing else will do.

You can manage touring in Thar for 3 people using soft bags, its not a problem.

Test drive the Petrol AT and see if your thoughts about Honda still holds good. Avoid buying the 1.5 diesel 2WD, its perhaps there just for the sake of price or CAFE norms or something.

Mahindra organizes offroad drives \ camps etc, you may want to explore a new lifestyle if you are young enough - Get the 4x4 AT, never know where it may take you.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 11:26   #43

Need some inputs on the impact of new RDE norms, to be mandatory from 1st April. Would the resale and usability of non RDE vehicles bought in Jan-Mar 23 be impacted? Would there be a situation, when Non-RDE vehicles could be banned in Delhi-NCR (like BS4 is being done off and on)? Would the vehicle still need to go for a PUCC?
Is it worth taking a new vehicle today, with new norms just around the corner?
Old 6th February 2023, 11:57   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Body on frame SUVs with a short wheelbase, such as the Thar, bob around a lot when driving over uneven surfaces.

I personally have felt myself sensing the body jiggle and tugging at the underpinning frame when I shift lanes in my TUV 300; to be sure, far more R&D and value-addition will have gone into the Thar vis-a-vis the TUV, but some fundamentals will remain the same in all these vehicles.

When I drive a monocoque car for a change, that's when I can truly feel the difference; these vehicles have true unity of purpose and direction. There's no tug of war going on underneath you. If you're largely going to drive on smooth roads, do strongly consider getting a monocoque/unibody car over a body on frame vehicle.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 12:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
No intention of hurting anyone's sentiment but why should this car be on a buyer's list? People who purchase Thar do it for its off road capabilities and review mentions thats not what this car is for.
Comfortable and spacious were never its strong point. Not loaded with features as well. Comes with a big maintenance demand.
So then will this be bought only to show off as it does not qualify for anything else
For those who likes the butch looks of Thar but don't go Offroading / don't need 4X4.
For those who want a absolute urban beast to tackle the city road caters and bullies.
Those who are on a tighter budget and their heart wants a Thar.
Those who are shying away due to the fuel guzzling nature of bigger engines.
And yes, Those who need a show off vehicle

I think it's a smart move by Mahindra.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks