Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2023, 12:22   #46
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Driving the Thar 1.5L Diesel MT RWD

Ride Comfort

Ride quality is sad, whether in the city or on the highway. It is liveable though. If you have driven Jeeps, Gypsys, Scorpios, or even the 1st-gen Fortuner before, you should be okay. For those used to contemporary hatchbacks, sedans & crossovers, this bumpy ride will be the biggest deal breaker. You feel each & everything on the road – literally! Even on a clean expressway, the Thar is continuously pitching and moving up & down. Big bumps come in strong. And if you drive slowly on broken roads, you can expect a lot of side-to-side swaying. The single time that the Thar is settled & flat is when it’s standing in one place .
I believe there is no exaggeration in these statements and the owners of Thar also have the same opinion. If that is the case, why would any one one want to be driving such a vehicle?! And what do Mahindra think about themselves and the prospective buyers?!
venus1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 13:00   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus1975 View Post
I believe there is no exaggeration in these statements and the owners of Thar also have the same opinion. If that is the case, why would any one one want to be driving such a vehicle?! And what do Mahindra think about themselves and the prospective buyers?!
Its a Jeep. Or at least is inspired by Jeep. These vehicles are not meant to behave like sports cars around corners. Nor will they offer the comfort of a typical sedan.
Those who are looking for comfort and handling as the primary criterion are better off with one of the ‘cross-overs’ or ‘hatchbacks-on-stilts’.
The 2WD RWD Thar is meant for someone who wants a little adventure, a little elevation from the mundane and boring and who wants to ‘look’ tough and butch.
And truth be told the 2WD RWD Thar in the hands of an experienced driver, can surmount quite a few challenges which our Indian conditions can throw at it, so it is in its own right, a tough and capable vehicle. But very clearly it is NOT for everyone.
Take a look at this ad; (it is meant in a lighter vein so don’t take offence.)

shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 15:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Well, let me put it this way, you hit two nails on the head- the customer and the manufacturer.
One TD was enough for me to construe that this is one taste I don't want to acquire.
Old_Salt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
No intention of hurting anyone's sentiment but why should this car be on a buyer's list? People who purchase Thar do it for its off road capabilities and review mentions thats not what this car is for.
Comfortable and spacious were never its strong point. Not loaded with features as well. Comes with a big maintenance demand.
So then will this be bought only to show off as it does not qualify for anything else
1. There is nothing wrong with showing off. Buying a vehicle or anything else is a matter of pride which is why people buy clothing from their car manufacturers. People who buy vehicles over 30L is partly because they want to show off. It is a status symbol.

2. Thar is a perfect vehicle for people who need a vehicle with 2 usable seats. It's a perfect city thar that is stupidly easy to drive around the city with automatic, has powerful engine, commanding position and a GNCAP 4 rating.

3. Also, Old Thar came in 4x2 variant. Wrangler also has 4x2 variant. Tons of other SUV do come in a 4x2 variant. There is nothing wrong with buying an SUV with 4x2.

Last edited by vellatechie : 6th February 2023 at 16:51.
vellatechie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:40   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobhitsaxena View Post
Once Jimmy ownership reviews are out, it would be interesting to see the battle between these two for city riders.

As per the review, Thar RWD is more suited for city rides. I believe, Jimmy will have the advantage and will sell in higher numbers in city oriented riders, especially fairer sex, Thar will continue to be the default entry-level lifestyle SUV. Reasons I see are:
Just that the Jimny's release date is something no one knows. It's already late to the game. It may appeal to the genx but they are taking forever to launch it. And then you have the notorious waiting periods, I have lost hopes of spotting one on the Indian roads.
Old 6th February 2023, 21:00   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Allow me a thin-sliced reply to your question. The answer is a bigger pie; I am proffering only a thin slice, please note.

I prefer "big" SUVs because my driving style is a relaxed one. I do not wish to partake of frenzied speeding, honking, tightly swerving, hard braking etc. I do not have either a death-wish or a murderous streak in me, to put it curtly. And I just want to be left alone.

A big problem that I usually face from frenzied car drivers when I am in a smaller car, is that they honk and sometimes they even push me off the road.

When I drive in a butch SUV, I don't get bothered by most frenzied drivers; there are still some dyed-in-the-wool desi frenzied drivers who bother me but I just let them have their way. It's their funeral that they're hurrying to - who am I to delay them?

So yeah - I am prepared to make certain compromises in selecting these SUVs. I can live with a constantly jiggling car because it makes up in areas that really matter to me.

Some day - I wish to own a proper (i.e., 4m+) big butch SUV on which I will unfurl the scariest political party's flag on the bonnet. That'll ensure that no frenzied driver will bother me, period
locusjag is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 22:16   #52
BHPian

I took Delivery of an Aquamarine LX Diesel 2WD Today in Coimbatore.

Very Good Overall experience at the Dealer right from Booking on the 9th of Jan to the Delivery Today. I was told at the time of booking to expect only a short waiting period of less than a month - which they delivered.

Unlike my Toyota Hyryder Hybrid booking in which the dealer has no clue whatsoever of the status.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-img20230206wa0010.jpg  

mura is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 08:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Why not get a more comfortable Bolero NEO over this ? You get better seating, some boot space and the same soft road capability.
Old 7th February 2023, 09:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Why not get a more comfortable Bolero NEO over this ? You get better seating, some boot space and the same soft road capability.
No one buys a Thar to use it as as a 4 seater.

Thar has a higher snob value, it's more modern, has more powerful engine, and GNCAP 4 rating. And remember from the outside a 4x2 is virtually indistinguishable from a 4x4.
vellatechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 2WD waiting period extends to 18 months

In early January, Mahindra launched the Thar 2WD in the Indian market. With prices starting at Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom), it’s the most affordable version of the Thar. Latest reports suggest that the waiting period has crossed the 1-year mark.

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-3-thar_newcolour_blazingbronze.jpg

It is said that the waiting period for the Thar 2WD petrol version is up to 3 months. However, you will have to wait for almost 16-18 months for the 2WD diesel version. There’s a 3-month waiting list for the Thar 4x4 as well.

The Thar 4x2 is available in three variants. The top-spec LX Diesel costs Rs. 10.99 lakh, while the Petrol automatic trim costs Rs. 13.49 lakh (ex-showroom). These introductory prices are applicable on the first 10,000 bookings.

The Thar 2WD is offered with a 1.5-litre diesel engine that produces 117 BHP and 300 Nm and a 2.0-litre turbo-petrol that makes 150 BHP and 320 Nm. While the diesel is paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox, the latter gets a 6-speed automatic.

Source: Autocar India
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:23   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Thar gets a petrol AT option which automatically makes it appealing to NCR residents, urban folks of other cities and in particular to women driver-owners. The Bolero Neo will remain a non-NCR, tier 2 town (and downwards) favorite.

The inside info from Mahindra right at the inception of this 2WD product was that it's in part targeted at urban women.
Old 7th February 2023, 10:28   #57
BHPian

Did the showroom compel you to purchase the ext warranty, accessories package, insurance from them in order to get the delivery of the vehicle?
My showroom is forcing everyone to do this and I've raised a complaint with the customer care people but even they are siding with the showroom on this.
Sucks cause I got an insurance quote that was half of the cost what the showroom wanted to sell me
Old 7th February 2023, 10:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
No AT in Bolero Neo is deal breaker for many. If Mahindra provides proper Torque Convertor AT in Bolero Neo, it will be the highest seller in whole portfolio.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:51   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The low speed ride of ScorpioN as well as Thar is going to be a bit busy, as the speeds increase it smoothens out but you need to learn to keep your passengers happy.
Having driven both extensively:

- The Scorpio-N rides noticeably better than the Thar on good roads.

- The Scorpio-N rides noticeably better than the Thar on broken roads.

- The Scorpio-N handles noticeably better than the Thar on the highway (although neither UV is a "handler" per se). Hit an undulation or dip at 100 kmph in the Thar and things get scary.

The Scorpio-N is way, way more user-friendly.

Quote:
If that is the case, why would any one one want to be driving such a vehicle?!
There are 4000 of us buying a Thar every month . And we L-O-V-E our Thars. It's already a favourite of my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
I doubt it, based on what members are reporting on this thread. Looks like a PR gimmick.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 11:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Surprise surprise! Other than someone who plans to use this as a second car, I really doubt first-time buyers will wait that long for a 2 door primary car. 16-18 months is way too long to wait.

Most Viewed