Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2023, 11:25   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
For those who likes the butch looks of Thar but don't go Offroading / don't need 4X4.
For those who want a absolute urban beast to tackle the city road caters and bullies.
Those who are on a tighter budget and their heart wants a Thar.
Those who are shying away due to the fuel guzzling nature of bigger engines.
And yes, Those who need a show off vehicle

I think it's a smart move by Mahindra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I am probably quite shallow like that but I want one quite badly just for the looks. Couldn't care less about taking the thing off road and scratching up the paintwork
Let me start by saying my original post was not to offend anyone and I mentioned that over there as well. May be my choice of words was wrong.

All I wanted to understand was what are the things that will push the needle in favor of RWD Thar. I think I have got good number of inputs. Thanks.
Old 7th February 2023, 11:27   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There are 4000 of us buying a Thar every month . And we L-O-V-E our Thars. It's already a favourite of my family.
Mirrors 100% what I found about the Wrangler Jeep when I was planning on buying one back in 2015 in the US. Every review / consumer reports painted it as one of the worst vehicle to own but owners all over the net just loved their vehicles. As one Jeep owner told me - "it's a love hate relationship that doesn't make any logical sense to anyone but the owner(s)"
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 11:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

This waiting period gimmick should be called out for what it is . No car in the world is worth spending 18 months waiting. Even Airbuses and Boeings get delivered sooner.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 12:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Let me start by saying my original post was not to offend anyone and I mentioned that over there as well. May be my choice of words was wrong.

All I wanted to understand was what are the things that will push the needle in favor of RWD Thar. I think I have got good number of inputs. Thanks.
Didn't get offended at all. Initially I also thought why a RWD thar, but seeing the sheer number of them on road doing role as a city dweller / daily driver, it was evident that 90% or more of the customers are not 4x4 enthusiasts or offroaders. Most of them buy for the look of it and also how easy it is to drive in city.
Asish_VK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 12:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

2023 Mahindra Thar RWD Interior Review

Those wires connecting the doors and dashboard - could have been routed better through openings on the door and fender (like its done on many other cars). I am guessing these are cables for power window switches and motors? Was the Thar always like this (2020 4x4 versions)?

I think its very lazy of Mahindra to follow this Jugadu approach. The wires can interfere with A pedal and pose a safety risk as well.
Old 7th February 2023, 14:00   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Why not get a more comfortable Bolero NEO over this ? You get better seating, some boot space and the same soft road capability.
Would have agreed wholeheartedly if the Bolero Neo had the same engine.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 14:05   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
No intention of hurting anyone's sentiment but why should this car be on a buyer's list? People who purchase Thar do it for its off road capabilities and review mentions thats not what this car is for.
Comfortable and spacious were never its strong point. Not loaded with features as well. Comes with a big maintenance demand.
People don’t buy the BS6 Thar just for its off-road abilities. Despite its miniscule boot capacity, and the inconvenience of the 2-door lay-out, there are other considerations.

Someone has mentioned earlier in these pages that it’s the most drool-worthy car to hit our market in recent times. It is also the first in its category (from a domestic major) to get a respectable (4-star) NCAP rating. And as an aside, one can also mention that hardly anyone buys it purely for its off-road super-competence.

But it’s the abuse-friendliness of the Thar on our roads, and it’s safe-to-assume durability and reliability (DEF & DPF niggles not withstanding) that were among the major considerations when we bought our LX, petrol, manual, hard-top 4WD.

Also, our earlier experience with our Scorpio (14+ years) in which we experienced one major (3 somersaults on the highway just outside Bareilly) and several not so major shunts during our touring round the country. And the fact that each time we crawled out on our own (no broken bones) from the vehicle, convinced us to go for the BS6 Thar as our next steed of choice.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 14:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Cons

• No 4x4, even as an option with the 1.5L engine. This is no offroader

It's an RWD version so how is no 4*4 a con?

Last edited by klassics45 : 7th February 2023 at 14:23.
klassics45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 15:12   #69

Sorry but I am attempting hard to understand why are we humans fighting over a product that hardly sells as a just-a-vehicle.
As a fellow bhpian, I would rather say-Perceive it as an emotion, rather than a car and be merry please!
old_miles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 15:18   #70
BHPian

PPS in Lavelle road has the LX P AT readily available in black (4 Nos). They've stated a 3-4 month waiting period for the diesel version.
Old 7th February 2023, 17:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
Happy motoring to all and we will see alot of Thars on the Road. Lets be safe and not drive rash. Lets give way and put more smiles on the road
Timely message. I'm a thar owner myself but frequently disappointed at how some thar owners bully other vehicles around on the road.
airguitar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 18:10   #72
BHPian

1. Has anyone installed a camera yet on RWD … they are saying some software upgrade needed for which we have to fork out 1 k and it is still not there.

2. Anyone could throw a light on light upgrade.

3. Anyone opted for base AX O in RWD.

4. What's mats to get for the Thar are not a safety hazard - 3D mats got stuck in my nexon and duster between the break - almost causing an accident … i liked the OEM renault ones which were secure.

Any one done / planning suspension upgrade.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2023 at 04:52. Reason: Please end your sentences with a fullstop.
Old 7th February 2023, 18:22   #73
BHPian

18 months waiting period and the booking advertisement for Thar 2WD is all over the internet and social media wherein the company wants more and more people to book the vehicle.

Is there a suitable law to curb this mess that Mahindra is creating with its vehicles and it’s horrendous waiting periods?

Every one has a plan one way or the other about a new vehicle, selling an old car, readying the funds etc. before buying a new one and the company seems to not care a bit about the emotions of the prospective buyers who have shown confidence in their product by booking one.

My dealer is still clueless about delivery dates and it’s not a good feeling to begin with. RIP the joy of owning a new car.
Old 7th February 2023, 18:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar RWD waiting period extends to up to 74 weeks.

Thar 4X2 petrol demand is comparatively lower.

Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-smartselect_20230207182644_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th February 2023 at 18:29.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 18:32   #75
BHPian

Quote:
• Available only with a hard top; owners will miss the convertible! Petrol is available in a single variant
Most of the other decisions seem to make sense, but this one might actually be a miss : the convertible top is certainly a USP and would have attracted a few more buyers ( given not many vehicles in India are equipped with this ).

Further, I would like to point out that some of the observations - no lumbar support, one USB port removed etc - that's true of the recent 4x4 versions too, anything from Jun 2022 has not had the lumbar support or the extra USB.

Most Viewed