Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2023, 18:53   #76
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
Those wires connecting the doors and dashboard - could have been routed better through openings on the door and fender (like its done on many other cars). I am guessing these are cables for power window switches and motors? Was the Thar always like this (2020 4x4 versions)?
If I remember correctly, the doors of the Thar 2020 (4x4) are removable. That option is not there in the 4x2 version and hence those wires. I think I heard this in one of the YouTuber's review. I may be wrong though.
Old 7th February 2023, 22:31   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp1 View Post
Did the showroom compel you to purchase the ext warranty, accessories package, insurance from them in order to get the delivery of the vehicle?
My showroom is forcing everyone to do this and I've raised a complaint with the customer care people but even they are siding with the showroom on this.
Sucks cause I got an insurance quote that was half of the cost what the showroom wanted to sell me
No pressure at all, I took my own insurance and Zero Accessories and add-ons.
Old 7th February 2023, 22:56   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

It is said that the waiting period for the Thar 2WD petrol version is up to 3 months. However, you will have to wait for almost 16-18 months for the 2WD diesel version.
Would be even more interesting to know what would be composition of Petrol and Diesel out of the total bookings.
Old 8th February 2023, 13:43   #79

I had booked a Thar LX D HT RWD on 13th January Got a message from the dealer that it’ll be delivered in December 2023. I don’t understand how the waiting period can be 11 months if i booked on the 4th day from launch. Moreover they aren’t even confirming if I’m under the price protection.
Old 8th February 2023, 14:58   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
composition of Petrol and Diesel out of the total bookings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiri_19 View Post
I the 4th day from launch. Moreover they aren’t even confirming if I’m under the price protection.
Surely by now the Fuel Inefficient nature of the Petrol MStallion engine us a well documented and well known fact. Probably only 10% to 15% of bookings would flow towards the petrol.

As per some of the information floating around the internet there is a 74 week waiting period for the Thar RWD 2WD Diesel.

And it appears that the wait period for the 4x4 version has come down drastically.

Goes to show that a very large number of buyers are happy with 4x2.
Old 8th February 2023, 16:10   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiri_19 View Post
I don’t understand how the waiting period can be 11 months if i booked on the 4th day from launch
Take it with a pinch of salt. You can find multiple posts in Scorpio N thread on the list of readily available stocks across multiple locations.

Similarly, just wait for a couple of months for the hype to die down and you are good to go
Old 8th February 2023, 17:22   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Having driven both extensively:

- The Scorpio-N rides noticeably better than the Thar on good roads.

- The Scorpio-N rides noticeably better than the Thar on broken roads.

- The Scorpio-N handles noticeably better than the Thar on the highway (although neither UV is a "handler" per se). Hit an undulation or dip at 100 kmph in the Thar and things get scary.

The Scorpio-N is way, way more user-friendly.
My advise to the fellow BHPian is in comparison to his own Honda, so as to set the right expectations. I personally find them to be just perfect for what I am going to with them!!

I agree with you on all counts, in my observation - despite the drama Thar has another 50 kmph additional headroom.

I have spent a few thousand kms with ScorpioN and it is indeed much superior to Thar in terms of on-road performance, expectedly so. Perhaps we can expect the later models of Thar to come with some of the suspension bits from Scorpio as well for good measure.
Old 9th February 2023, 19:10   #83
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
• Very bumpy ride quality. The Thar is never settled, no matter what the road or speed
• Poor road manners at high speed. Best to cruise at 100 - 110 km/h only
Who is the target customer?

All the cons are such that it can't be used on the highways for a comfortable cruise, neither is it comfortable in the city, since the ride is unsettled at any speed. Moreover, it's too wide for narrow city lanes/streets. And if someone is ready to sacrifice all this and use it as a lifestyle vehicle for weekend offroading, it doesn't offroad either.

So what's the point of this car? Who is going to buy? Only those of them who want to 'posture' with this car.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th February 2023 at 19:36. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly be respectful, even in debate. Thanks!
Old 9th February 2023, 19:34   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Who is the target customer ?
I only have pity for such people.
I empathize with you but the masses have responded with their wallets.
itwasntme is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 23:07   #85
BHPian

If you need a comfortable car or you need a Thar which is everything that a good car is not … al it has is character and plenty of it.

Most sports cars are not comfortable either - have driven Porsche Cayman and BMW 4 . BMW was a go cart ( without any suspension ) it was so stiff , porsche was tad better - Thar has a more comfortable suspension than both. But they are sports cars meant to take corners so expected to have hard setups.

Thar is beautiful and is a classic reborn with some modern amenities. I would love and Amby and Contessa too. 18 months waiting is speaking for itself.

Having TD the 4X4 i had decided to wait for a 2WD Auto … and bought a 2 WD manual as auto was not available in diesel and didn’t want the pathetic mileage of Petrol. My Audi TT also had a great mileage despite having a 180 HP engine delivered close to 14-15 on highways. Anyone who wants a practical comfortable car is spoilt for choices - sedans n pseudo SUVs. For us the simple machines suit us … less gizmos , good engine and an abuse friendly car with road presence ��

Should have listened to GTO and taken a CT. It’s my daily drive and am loving it … yes would love to do something about the suspension but not now after may be 50000 km when it needs work.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2023 at 04:50. Reason: Grammar and formating.
Urorobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 01:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Who is the target customer?

All the cons are such that it can't be used on the highways for a comfortable cruise, neither is it comfortable in the city, since the ride is unsettled at any speed. Moreover, it's too wide for narrow city lanes/streets. And if someone is ready to sacrifice all this and use it as a lifestyle vehicle for weekend offroading, it doesn't offroad either.

So what's the point of this car? Who is going to buy? Only those of them who want to 'posture' with this car.
I have used my Thar as my primary for more than 6 months now. Along with the city drive, I have also done non-stop Delhi-Lucknow and Delhi-Dehradun Trips. My next car will hopefully be the 5 Door Thar.

I really don't get your post. If you don't understand the point of Thar after reading the posts here, watching reviews, and/or test driving it then maybe don't bother posting/commenting as well?
vellatechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 14:10   #87

Most of us might agree to a common factum that Thar is more than just a car, and rather it is a symbol of adventure, freedom and passion. This vehicle evokes emotions that are rarely found in other automobiles. From the moment I first laid my eyes on it, I just couldn't help but feel drawn to its rugged presence beauty.

On the given prices, I see it as very good blend of old-school Jeep-design charm and sufficiently-modern features, guaranteed to turn heads wherever you go. It does lag behind in comfort but I think you will be happy if you do not expect luxury cabins/ride from this very design. I guess its hardly made for serving the purpose of comfort.

I agree with @itwasntme who has rightly stated that people love Thar anyways:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
.....the masses have responded with their wallets.
old_miles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 16:49   #88
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

This thread is another one with highly polarised opinions.
But then, as others have remarked, customers have voted with their wallets.
And if bookings/ sales is the definition of a successful product, then the denouement is absolutely clear to anyone who cares to look. This 2WD RWD Thar is a product which talks to the heart and not the head. And it is capable enough for all the stuff that our general Indian conditions can throw at it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 17:05   #89
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow!! So many opinions against the Thar! So many bookings, so much of a waiting period! The people have paid and voted!
Old 12th February 2023, 21:17   #90
BHPian

Are the first 10,000 bookings under price protection?
If yes, is there any way to figure out if a booking done now is part of the 10,000 price protection?

Most Viewed