Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 20:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post

I own the Hector CVT for one year now and, when it comes to the fuel economy, it started around 9 kmpl in the initial days and slowly improved to 11kmpl post the second service. I took the car for 1 year service a couple of days ago and the service advisor suggested that there could be some more improvement in the FE.
Is this City only figure, if yes it's doing good for such a heavy and large car. For perspective my Sonet iMT turbo, gives me 13-14 in Pune City traffic. On highways though I can stretch it to 19-20 if driven uptill 85 kph.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 21:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Is this City only figure, if yes it's doing good for such a heavy and large car. For perspective my Sonet iMT turbo, gives me 13-14 in Pune City traffic. On highways though I can stretch it to 19-20 if driven uptill 85 kph.
It's a mix of city and highway with about 60% city use. I haven't checked exclusively for city usage but a lot of my city usage comprises of less than 10km drives to the nearest mall or visits to my friends places. These short drives tend to kill the fuel economy.

The best I could manage on the highway was around 13kmpl with Max speeds 100-110 kmph. Most of my drives are with my family with kids which doesn't allow me to use a heavy right foot.

Sonet iMT is a great value for money car The numbers you are doing are excellent. My erstwhile Hyundai grand i10 with 1.2 NA petrol engine used to give me similar figures.
Old 9th February 2023, 21:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

3-mg-hector-facelift/m/exterior/2023-mg-hector-04.jpg[/IMG][/url]

The Hector looks good in this Havana Grey paint shade. In the 2023 model, there has been a rejig in the shade card. Burgundy Red reference has been replaced with Dune Brown .
Shame, MG dropped one of the most unique shades in the marked for a shade of brown . I quiet liked the burgundy, it reminded me the porsche's Amethystmetallic.
Old 10th February 2023, 10:06   #19
BHPian

At this price point having AT is a must, penetration of automatic transmissions is very high in 15-30L range. A Diesel without AT is surprising to me.

Also the fuel economy figures mentioned in the Autocar India review are super low for a 1.5L engine. They will get he initial head start as the product is well made but as people incur fuel cost the bad reputation will kick in. India is a price sensitive market, even maruti brand name was not able to save SX4 after fuel guzzler reputation.

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230210-09.55.02-1.jpeg
Asoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 10:28   #20
BHPian

FE is a BIG sore point for Hector Petrol, Many jumped and bought the Hector and i personally saw many petrol on used car market.
A colleague of mine upgraded to Hector petrol from a Figo Diesel :-).
He said the best he get within city is 8 MAX, and even in highways you can get 11 kmpl only if you are very ambitious.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 14:48   #21
BHPian

Which car in this segment and of a similar size has significantly better fuel economy though?
aryayush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 17:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Which car in this segment and of a similar size has significantly better fuel economy though?
Question is what constitutes the segment? Price wise Creta/Taigun/Kushaq/Seltos come close and if considered, they offer significantly better FE than the Hector Petrol.

Size wise the Harrier/Safari and XUV are the segment, and they each have a Diesel Auto.

As we can see, neither is the Hector Petrol's FE as good as the high priced small SUVs, nor does it have the Diesel ATs of the similarly sized competition.

I myself am a fan of Hector, and think the CVTs FE is acceptable, but for majority, the FE remains a sore point.
Old 10th February 2023, 17:32   #23
BHPian

Surprised to see the FE figures. XUV7OO with more powerful engine and kerb weight, gives similar mileage inside city and outperforms Hector on highways.
Old 10th February 2023, 19:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Question is what constitutes the segment? Price wise Creta/Taigun/Kushaq/Seltos come close and if considered, they offer significantly better FE than the Hector Petrol.
I wouldn't put the Kushaq and Taigun in the same company as Creta/Seltos. The VAG twins definitely give easily much better mileage than the Hector. Not so sure about the Korean twins which may offer slightly better mileage. Colleague recently got a Seltos and is getting ~10.5 kmpl FE in city + highway averaged.
ulag62442 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 19:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone looking at FE should just look elsewhere, the early adopters have already burnt there hands by trying to sell it too early. Petrol CVT is neither a car for enthusiast nor for people looking for FE.

Kushaq/Taigun/Seltos/Creta don't give you so much leg room and luggage carrying space while they might give slightly better mileage.

It is a car for relaxed driving, enjoying the drive while listening to music and making your family comfortable, in those spacious comfortable seats. It is also about giving your back a much needed airflow on hot driving days and about the commanding seating position while Auto cruise control takes away some stress of driving at highways. It is also about a product whose listed niggles aren't too many compared to some direct rivals like the Harrier and XUV.

With the annoying 120 kmph beep on all the cars now, driving them above 120 is such a pain, till you have had them removed, and I personally think 110-120 is the sweetest spot to drive on our highways. Hector does that without a sweat, so for some one having this use case, it is a fit, otherwise there are so many other options to choose from in the market already.
AtheK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 23:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
touchscreen kept on making cracking noises from time to time when AC was on full blast
Maybe it's the screen heating up from load and then cooling down from AC like TVs.
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronic...icles/00012291
Old 10th February 2023, 23:27   #27
BHPian

While the highway figures of the Hector CVT are indisputably low, the city figures are pretty much in line with the competition. Bear in mind that almost every car on the list below (except the Harrier and XUV7OO) has significantly smaller exterior dimensions and relatively cramped cabins compared to the Hector, and only about half of its creature comforts. It is almost a segment above them to begin with.

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-screenshot_20230210_231111_sheets.jpg

The Harrier, despite being smaller than the Hector and having a diesel engine, barely manages slightly better fuel efficiency figures. It is also costlier (due to the diesel engine), while having only a subset of the Hector's features, and is riddled with issues. Tata also has a terrible sales and service reputation.

The XUV7OO definitely wins on the fuel economy front (Mahindra XUV700 Review) and is the more powerful of the two. For a lot of folks, I'm sure it makes far more sense than the Hector (as do the other cars on this list for others)—but I, personally, would rather save the ₹2.5 lac upfront and get the more luxurious Hector instead.

But again, even with all that said, the highway mileage figures of the Hector are just inexcusably low. I can see why someone would think of going with another vehicle just because of those numbers.

Last edited by aryayush : 10th February 2023 at 23:35.
aryayush is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 00:16   #28
BHPian

Also, as per Autocar reviews, the Hector CVT is faster than the Harrier and Safari in both 0–100 sprints and in-gear acceleration tests. The Harrier is 0.15 seconds faster 0–100, but both the Tata twins are beaten in the other tests, despite the tremendous diesel advantage, the mileage not being significantly better, the higher price, and the much stiffer steering and suspension setup.

It goes without saying, though, that neither of the three cars is any match for the XUV7OO—which is in a league of its own when it comes to performance.
Old 11th February 2023, 08:36   #29
BHPian

Basis feedback from couple of friends who own Hector CVT, they are getting 8-9kmpl in City (drives below 10km face slightly lower mileage at times!). On highway the average is around 12-13kmpl.

The mileage is a subjective matter and differs from person to person depending on driving style. If you drive like Faisal Khan, you should forget about mileage, irrespective of car you are driving. However, if you are sedate driver and keep a light foot and drive below 100kmph thinking about family back home, you can expect above figures.

Comparing smaller cars like VAG & Korean twins with larger ones like Hector, Harrier or XUV700 is wrong. The creature comfort, space, etc. in bigger ones make the power to weight ratio inferior, but that's what you paid for right?!

1) If you need good power, but okay with mediocre mileage (assuming using this power to fullest) and plastic quality & MAHINDRA brand - go for XUV700
2) Good power and small car - VAG twins
3) Decent power and small car with 3 star NCAP - Korean twins
4) For larger stance, space and diesel AT - Harrier
5) For all luxury, space, ADAS, acceptable power & MG brand - Hector

Last edited by manpreetsj : 11th February 2023 at 08:39.
manpreetsj is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 12:48   #30
BHPian

Anyone who has taken delivery and can access the owners manual, is there any clarity on the engine being BS VI Phase II compliant? No SA seems to know the answer to this question

Most Viewed